The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 09:26 PM
Courtier

Isn't the Pope the Head of a religion which teaches about repentance and forgiveness?

Of course we see a lot of false moralists living a very selective Christianity, but I doubt that's the case with His Holiness and the other Royal Families, but it's something I see a lot on internet.

Anyway, Sofia is Lutheran so I don't think she'd care about the Pope not wanting to meet her.

Princess Isabel (1846-1921), Princess Imperial and Regent of the Empire of Brazil, after she signed the Golden Law, in 1888, abolishing slavery in Brazil.
Old 02-19-2015, 10:16 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cris M View Post
Isn't the Pope the Head of a religion which teaches about repentance and forgiveness?

Of course we see a lot of false moralists living a very selective Christianity, but I doubt that's the case with His Holiness and the other Royal Families, but it's something I see a lot on internet.

Anyway, Sofia is Lutheran so I don't think she'd care about the Pope not wanting to meet her.
Thank you for reminding us about what the Catholic Church is supposed to be for. Our new pope is a breath of fresh air

Old 02-19-2015, 10:46 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
So to get back to the topic of the thread. The most immediate issue I think you are going to see re:Her Past, is that I think you will see a very small royal attendance at the wedding. As an ongoing issue, I dont see how the SRF can realistically expect that any of the Arab/muslim royals will be willing to meet her at any point. For that matter, I cant really see her being received at the Vatican, despite what a lovely inclusive man HH the Pope appears to be. JMHO of course. Perhaps I am wrong. We shall see in June.
The pope isn't exactly known for refusing to meet people because they've done things he disagrees with in the past... I think that you're wrong and attendance will be about the same as it was for Madeleine.
Old 02-19-2015, 10:53 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
One thing is almost a for certain thing. After the wedding, even if Sophia does take the surname Bernadotte, the media will most likely forevermore still call her Sophia Hellqvist as they do Camilla Parker-Bowles and Kate Middleton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
Most likely. In the Big Picture, I know who they are, so I just read over it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Actually it is mainly about the british Royals. You see very seldom Mary Donaldson or Maxioma Zorreguieta or Mette-Marit Tjessem Hoiby in the Press.
Yes, the wierd, anglosaxon 'name' deal is certainly a little odd. We don't really know why the Daily Fail, et al. persist in the use of previous names. If it is imagined that Sofia will always be referred to by her maiden name because of her "notoriety" then the odd inclusion of Catherine Middleton gives two choices for reason.

First: She too has a degree of notoriety having lived withh William for the better part of ten years, or

Second: The staff on the DF, et al. are all too ignorant and ill educated to remember who's who.

So that leaves us as Kitty has said, knowing the players are which means we ignore it and remember the cold hard truth as quoted by Stefan . . . for the most part, this degree of offenive insult seems to be almost soley the purview of the UK tabloids.

Quote:
So to get back to the topic of the thread. The most immediate issue I think you are going to see re:Her Past, is that I think you will see a very small royal attendance at the wedding. As an ongoing issue, I dont see how the SRF can realistically expect that any of the Arab/muslim royals will be willing to meet her at any point. For that matter, I cant really see her being received at the Vatican, despite what a lovely inclusive man HH the Pope appears to be. JMHO of course. Perhaps I am wrong. We shall see in June.
Hmm, it will indeed be interesting to see what style of wedding Carl Philip and Sofia choose because that will dictate, to a large extent, who does and who doesn't get invited. Then we can see from the RSVP's who declines the invitaton. As for His Holiness? I believe he has a greater calling than 'Judge'!
Old 02-20-2015, 01:35 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
attendance will be about the same as it was for Madeleine.
That would be my guess at the moment too, but Madeleine's wedding had relatively few "foreign" guests, and when that happens at Carl-Philip's wedding i'm willing to place a bet on some people saying that is *because* of Sofia's past and ignoring the fact that it was the same at Madeleine's...
Old 02-20-2015, 08:06 PM
Heir Presumptive

Well we shall see wont we? But of course if no or few foreign royals attend it will be because *of a previous engagement* 18 months in advance, I am sure there will be a rationaliztion. As far as the Pope, lets see, shall we, when CP and his future wife receive an invitation.
Old 02-20-2015, 10:39 PM
Heir Apparent

Eh not really sure what the pope has to do with a wedding of Protestant royals who aren't even going to be ruling royals....however even by the teachings of the Catholic Church their marriage would be presumed to be valid so that's not an issue.

Not sure why CP and Sohpia would be invited to the vatican unless it was that they would be accompanying his parents on an official visit or something...

LaRae
Old 02-21-2015, 03:20 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

No, I do not understand why and how the Vatican got mixed up in this either. Though love, forgiveness and acceptance should be the church teachings, in reality it is more complicated, as a recent petition against gays and divorced people -signed by several non-reigning royals- shows. Still, there are no petitions yet against former nude models so I do not see why a pope would refuse to meet S. Though it is not likely that CP&S will ever meet a pope as they are Lutheran.

As for the foreign royal guests: I do not think people will stay away for the bride -regardless of their feelings for her (if they have any). Out of solidarity with the Swedish RF most houses will show up, they most likely do not know SH at this point. A simular guest list as Madeleine's is expected. Though in this case perhaps a few higher guests even; Q. Margrethe II is his godmother. Maybe a few royals from the Netherlands and Belgium will come too as in 2013 they were occupied with their enthronements. I suspect Spain will be absent.
Old 02-22-2015, 06:52 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Well we shall see wont we? But of course if no or few foreign royals attend it will be because *of a previous engagement* 18 months in advance, I am sure there will be a rationaliztion. As far as the Pope, lets see, shall we, when CP and his future wife receive an invitation.
And you will assume that the rationalization will secretly have to do with their opinion of Sofia's past, right?
Despite using the phrase "JMHO" a lot in your posts recently, you seem to project your own opinion a lot on what you think others (royals in this case) will do or think, but as most of them are professionals at what they do we will never know what they actually think.
For all we know, they might love Sofia's photos...

and ofcourse, this is only mo
Old 02-22-2015, 06:58 AM
Heir Apparent

This issue of who will be attending the wedding will be resolved with the passage of time. We just have to wait patiently for three months.
Old 02-24-2015, 04:46 PM
Serene Highness

I don't the the other royals are that judgmental a lot of these families have interesting people in them with pasts.
Old 02-26-2015, 05:10 AM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Several posts have been removed as they contributed little to the thread but to cause a fight between members.
Old 03-03-2015, 03:24 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Yes, the wierd, anglosaxon 'name' deal is certainly a little odd. We don't really know why the Daily Fail, et al. persist in the use of previous names.
They do it because they want hits on their internet sites. Hits are based on the information people type into a search engine. The Duchess of Cambridge has been/is more well known still as Katherine Middleton. So that is the name people type into a search engine. If she is not referred to in the article as Katherine or Catherine Middleton the search engine will not pull up that particular article. The more hits a site has the more advertising they get. It's business plain and simple. They will continue to use the name that is most common and gets the most hits. I suspect that you will see Sofia referred to by her current name for quite a long time.
Old 03-04-2015, 12:33 PM
Courtier

I wonder what will become of Sofia's role in Project Playground when she marries CP? She seems pretty invested in it at this point.
Old 03-04-2015, 01:11 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHAmy View Post
I wonder what will become of Sofia's role in Project Playground when she marries CP? She seems pretty invested in it at this point.

I imagine it will continue- that work fits right in with what she'd be expected to do as a member of the royal family anyway.

It will probably help expand that organization.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 03-04-2015, 09:17 PM
Courtier

Quote:
I imagine it will continue- that work fits right in with what she'd be expected to do as a member of the royal family anyway.

It will probably help expand that organization.

True, but I always assumed that royals take on new roles independent if what they did before. It seems to be that way with almost everyone else. Even the Countess of Wessex quit her PR job eventually to be a full time royal.
Old 03-04-2015, 10:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHAmy View Post
True, but I always assumed that royals take on new roles independent if what they did before. It seems to be that way with almost everyone else. Even the Countess of Wessex quit her PR job eventually to be a full time royal.

Right but that was a private sector industry job, not a role supporting a charity. I don't believe Sofia is a paid employee of Project Playground- she supports and promotes their work.

No reason on earth not to continue that work and expand on it. Like I said, it's basically what's expected of royals anyway.

Old 03-05-2015, 11:59 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Right but that was a private sector industry job, not a role supporting a charity. I don't believe Sofia is a paid employee of Project Playground- she supports and promotes their work.

No reason on earth not to continue that work and expand on it. Like I said, it's basically what's expected of royals anyway.

I think she will surely expand on it but I don't think she'll have a vital role in PP anymore. I feel like the palace court will have her focus on new charities that are connected with the SRF. Look at Kate Middleton, she along with her family supported the Starlight Children's Foundation for a long time even going as far as to attend most of their black tie affairs. But as soon as she became the Duchess of Cambridge she has given that up all together to focus on the charities through the BRF. I think this will probably happen to Sofia too.

I also disagree with that she wasn't a paid employee. I think she definitely was. She wouldn't have been able to survive if she wasn't. I'm almost positive that everyone who holds a higher up position in PP gets paid one way or another. If she wasn't then she was just living off of CP this whole time? That wouldn't be great PR for royal court.
Old 03-11-2015, 08:36 PM
Courtier

I think the royal family has enough members as it is so to make sure Sofia can continue on her beloved charity, I think it would be best if her future role would be that of Duchess of Värmland. It would go nicely with the usual tradition of giving spouses the title of their royal spouse's dukedom. Surely she does not need to be a princess as she seems more happy working with her charity and I am sure Carl Philip would be happy with this decision as well. They both seem more like private people and their mutual love and happiness is more important than royal titles.
Old 03-11-2015, 08:47 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catharina View Post
I think the royal family has enough members as it is so to make sure Sofia can continue on her beloved charity, I think it would be best if her future role would be that of Duchess of Värmland. It would go nicely with the usual tradition of giving spouses the title of their royal spouse's dukedom. Surely she does not need to be a princess as she seems more happy working with her charity and I am sure Carl Philip would be happy with this decision as well. They both seem more like private people and their mutual love and happiness is more important than royal titles.

So what are you say? That CP should give up his line in succession to marry Sofia? And give up his titles/roles/duties as well? I don't think that will happen no matter how much Sofia is not suitable to be in the SRF. I think the only way it might happen is if CP requests it but I highly doubt he will since that seems to be the only thing that has panned out for him. Plus giving up his trust find would probably put a damper on their holy matrimony if you know what I mean....

Tags
prince carl philip