The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden > Prince Carl Philip and Princess Sofia

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 03:58 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
The court hasn't announced it, they probably do it just before the wedding. Until that we don't know if she will get a title or, maybe she does like Chris and doesn't want a title.
that would be an option

Old 01-30-2015, 04:04 AM
Gentry

Quote:
The court hasn't announced it, they probably do it just before the wedding. Until that we don't know if she will get a title, or maybe she does like Chris and doesn't want a title.
It would be a huge breach with tradition if she's not going to share her future husband's titles. Having said that: nothing surprises me anymore.

Old 01-30-2015, 04:07 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I suppose it would be gender-neutral for her not to become a princess, just as Jonas B. was not supposed to become a prince either but was just to share the ducal title. But I doubt that this will be the case indeed .
Old 01-30-2015, 05:07 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrjann View Post
It would be a huge breach with tradition if she's not going to share her future husband's titles. Having said that: nothing surprises me anymore.
Not really. When Madeleine was engaged to Jonas Bergström, he wasn't supposed to be Prince Jonas when they married, just Duke of Hälsingland and Gästrikland.

Chris chose to not become a Swedish citizen and didn't want a title, so that was another story.

Daniel is married to the heir, so no surprise that he was given the titel of HRH Prince Daniel.

So if you look at the history, it's an open question if Sofia will become duchess of Värmland, or princess Sofia.
Old 01-30-2015, 05:41 AM
Majesty

Historically things get really wierd before King Carl Gustaf. The royal line was pretty thin on the ground, CG being the youngest of five and the only male and I think that is reflected in Princess Madeleine's daughter, regardlesss of her father not wishing to hold any title whatsoever, has been made a Princess of Sweden. I should imagine their next child will be similarly titiled.

This may change in the not too distant future as, should they fail to meet certain pre-requisites as laid down by TPTB, the will retain their titles but not their right in the sucession. I should expect nothing less for Carl-Philip's children, he being third in line to the throne.

We have to take into account that it was Chris's choice not to accept a title and not the King or the Court. This sets up a thought that perhaps Sofia, being both Swedish and not a career woman, will become a Princess rather than a Duchess, gender neutral or not.

Only time will tell.
Old 01-30-2015, 05:43 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenobia View Post
Not really. When Madeleine was engaged to Jonas Bergström, he wasn't supposed to be Prince Jonas when they married, just Duke of Hälsingland and Gästrikland.

Chris chose to not become a Swedish citizen and didn't want a title, so that was another story.

Daniel is married to the heir, so no surprise that he was given the titel of HRH Prince Daniel.

So if you look at the history, it's an open question if Sofia will become duchess of Värmland, or princess Sofia.
It's been a long tradition in all European royal families that a woman shares the titles of her husband. The other way around is a different matter.
Old 01-30-2015, 04:33 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrjann View Post
It's been a long tradition in all European royal families that a woman shares the titles of her husband. The other way around is a different matter.
Try to make it a different matter in Sweden... I'm quite sure it wouldn't work out so well with the gender neutral policies over her :)
Old 01-31-2015, 02:26 PM
Nobility

King Carl XVI Gustaf does not have a gender-neutral policy for titles - the wives of crown princes of Sweden have always been Crown Princesses, but the husband of Crown Princess Victoria is only a Prince.
Old 01-31-2015, 03:22 PM
Heir Presumptive

My prediction - she will be an HRH princess and duchess, as will all of the remainder of CG's grandkids.
Old 01-31-2015, 08:50 PM
Heir Presumptive

Of course. And who cares?
Old 01-31-2015, 10:41 PM
Nobility

Discussion about Sofia Hellqvist's Past & Future Role in the Royal Family

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
King Carl XVI Gustaf does not have a gender-neutral policy for titles - the wives of crown princes of Sweden have always been Crown Princesses, but the husband of Crown Princess Victoria is only a Prince.

But if he was 'Crown Prince', surely that would 'put him higher' than Victoria?!?!

(But this is very much off topic and I really don't know enough about the legalities to be saying anything anyway)
Old 01-31-2015, 11:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
Of course. And who cares?
I don't care, frankly - just giving my prediction. I only come on this thread not because I am fascinated with Sofia, but I am fascinated with the fascination with Sofia.
Old 02-01-2015, 08:08 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by TortillaChips View Post
But if he was 'Crown Prince', surely that would 'put him higher' than Victoria?!?!

(But this is very much off topic and I really don't know enough about the legalities to be saying anything anyway)
Why? Because he's male and not female? If we speak gender-neutral he's in no way higher than his wife than Mary (for example) is of Frederik.

And yes, I no I also go offtopic here so I don't need an answer.

I'm a firm supporter of fair chance's.
Use your chance, Sofia. You're doing a fine job so far.
Old 02-01-2015, 09:14 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by TortillaChips View Post

I am not sure what you mean by "put him higher," but there are no laws about the titles or order of precedence of members of the royal family aside from the king.
Old 02-06-2015, 01:28 PM
Imperial Majesty

Old photo of 16-year old Sofia at the Hultsfredsfestivalen in 2001. Autographs of Ola Salo and Håkan Hellström on her.
Här är den okända bilden på festivaldrottningen Sofia Hellqvist
Old 02-06-2015, 02:10 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-Z View Post
So without really following you have jumped to that conclusion?

You should check with the IAAF (international athletics federation), you might have just set a worldrecord in long-jump
Old 02-06-2015, 05:43 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Old photo of 16-year old Sofia at the Hultsfredsfestivalen in 2001. Autographs of Ola Salo and Håkan Hellström on her.
I guess this picture puts paid as to whether or not the super black hair is her natural color.
Old 02-08-2015, 05:36 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
The original photo was taken by Marcus Nilsson and published in Smålands-Tidningen. Aftonbladet Klick! found the photo.
http://gfx.aftonbladet-cdn.se/image/...d0/oka-sof.jpg
Old 02-08-2015, 11:49 PM
Majesty

Quote:
In the spring 2002 she looked like this
http://images.mmcloud.se/api/v1/imag...47464c93d265c6

And at the poster for miss Slitz, I think that the photo has been taken in late 2003/early 2004, like this
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image
Wow, the darker hair looks much better and I am inclined to think that, like princess Madeleine, blonde is not her natural hair colour. I like it as it is now, not blonde or black but luxurious brown.
Old 02-09-2015, 06:47 PM
Serene Highness

I don't find this girl beautiful at all, I don't even think she's pretty. When she smiles I think she's even less attractive as her teeth are not nice and her features are very hard looking.

Closed Thread

Tags
prince carl philip