Discussion about Sofia Hellqvist's Past & Future Role in the Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't the the other royals are that judgmental a lot of these families have interesting people in them with pasts.

Several posts have been removed as they contributed little to the thread but to cause a fight between members.

Yes, the wierd, anglosaxon 'name' deal is certainly a little odd. We don't really know why the Daily Fail, et al. persist in the use of previous names.

They do it because they want hits on their internet sites. Hits are based on the information people type into a search engine. The Duchess of Cambridge has been/is more well known still as Katherine Middleton. So that is the name people type into a search engine. If she is not referred to in the article as Katherine or Catherine Middleton the search engine will not pull up that particular article. The more hits a site has the more advertising they get. It's business plain and simple. They will continue to use the name that is most common and gets the most hits. I suspect that you will see Sofia referred to by her current name for quite a long time.

I wonder what will become of Sofia's role in Project Playground when she marries CP? She seems pretty invested in it at this point.

I wonder what will become of Sofia's role in Project Playground when she marries CP? She seems pretty invested in it at this point.

I imagine it will continue- that work fits right in with what she'd be expected to do as a member of the royal family anyway.

It will probably help expand that organization.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

I imagine it will continue- that work fits right in with what she'd be expected to do as a member of the royal family anyway.

It will probably help expand that organization.

True, but I always assumed that royals take on new roles independent if what they did before. It seems to be that way with almost everyone else. Even the Countess of Wessex quit her PR job eventually to be a full time royal.

True, but I always assumed that royals take on new roles independent if what they did before. It seems to be that way with almost everyone else. Even the Countess of Wessex quit her PR job eventually to be a full time royal.

Right but that was a private sector industry job, not a role supporting a charity. I don't believe Sofia is a paid employee of Project Playground- she supports and promotes their work.

No reason on earth not to continue that work and expand on it. Like I said, it's basically what's expected of royals anyway.

Right but that was a private sector industry job, not a role supporting a charity. I don't believe Sofia is a paid employee of Project Playground- she supports and promotes their work.

No reason on earth not to continue that work and expand on it. Like I said, it's basically what's expected of royals anyway.

I think she will surely expand on it but I don't think she'll have a vital role in PP anymore. I feel like the palace court will have her focus on new charities that are connected with the SRF. Look at Kate Middleton, she along with her family supported the Starlight Children's Foundation for a long time even going as far as to attend most of their black tie affairs. But as soon as she became the Duchess of Cambridge she has given that up all together to focus on the charities through the BRF. I think this will probably happen to Sofia too.

I also disagree with that she wasn't a paid employee. I think she definitely was. She wouldn't have been able to survive if she wasn't. I'm almost positive that everyone who holds a higher up position in PP gets paid one way or another. If she wasn't then she was just living off of CP this whole time? That wouldn't be great PR for royal court.

I think the royal family has enough members as it is so to make sure Sofia can continue on her beloved charity, I think it would be best if her future role would be that of Duchess of Värmland. It would go nicely with the usual tradition of giving spouses the title of their royal spouse's dukedom. Surely she does not need to be a princess as she seems more happy working with her charity and I am sure Carl Philip would be happy with this decision as well. They both seem more like private people and their mutual love and happiness is more important than royal titles.

I think the royal family has enough members as it is so to make sure Sofia can continue on her beloved charity, I think it would be best if her future role would be that of Duchess of Värmland. It would go nicely with the usual tradition of giving spouses the title of their royal spouse's dukedom. Surely she does not need to be a princess as she seems more happy working with her charity and I am sure Carl Philip would be happy with this decision as well. They both seem more like private people and their mutual love and happiness is more important than royal titles.

So what are you say? That CP should give up his line in succession to marry Sofia? And give up his titles/roles/duties as well? I don't think that will happen no matter how much Sofia is not suitable to be in the SRF. I think the only way it might happen is if CP requests it but I highly doubt he will since that seems to be the only thing that has panned out for him. Plus giving up his trust find would probably put a damper on their holy matrimony if you know what I mean....

So what are you say? That CP should give up his line in succession to marry Sofia? And give up his titles/roles/duties as well? I don't think that will happen no matter how much Sofia is not suitable to be in the SRF. I think the only way it might happen is if CP requests it but I highly doubt he will since that seems to be the only thing that has panned out for him. Plus giving up his trust find would probably put a damper on their holy matrimony if you know what I mean....

Does he need to give it up? Can't he be a prince and his wife the duchess? Madeleine's first fiancé was to become a duke. I don't see a problem. That said, it's not like he is much needed to represent the royal family. But that is only my opinion and if they want, they can have him represent the royal family if they feel like it. It's not my money.

I think the royal family has enough members as it is.

Imo that is not the case, the SRF has only a small nr of people in direct line of succession, P.Madeleine doesn't seem very eager to take on a full time royal role, and P.Victoria might not get more children, so in one or two decades the family will be really small; imo at least for the next couple of decades they will need P.C-P both for royal duties and for his part in the line of succession

Imo that is not the case, the SRF has only a small nr of people in direct line of succession, P.Madeleine doesn't seem very eager to take on a full time royal role, and P.Victoria might not get more children, so in one or two decades the family will be really small; imo at least for the next couple of decades they will need P.C-P both for royal duties and for his part in the line of succession

Well, in Spain they seem to get along just fine with four people, the king, queen, king Juan Carlos and queen Sofia. And in Spain there are 46 million people and in Sweden only 9,6 million. And no one of us knows how many children Victoria and Daniel will have. Carl Philip could get out of the order of succession and do some official events just like princess Christina does, although she is not at the order of succession and doesn't belong to the official royal family.

I don't see that happening, besides CP's race car driving, photography and pottery making I don't think he's ready to give up the royal lifestyle to work like a normal joe. They may actually get more of a work load if M and C continue to lead more of a private life like they have been doing. V, D, S and CG can't do all the work themselves. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Presumably miss Hellqvist will go to the celebrations of QMII's 75th birthday next month? She is after all CP's fiancee.

It would IMO be a very good idea if she does go. She can practice in "safe" surroundings and in a fairly informal setting among people who are personal friends and who can be expected to shield, support and guide her.
That should make the experience a lot easier and more enjoyable for her, than if she was just thrust into a major royal event among mostly strangers.
If she is bright, she will learn a lot!

Nevertheless, there is bound to be a considerable interest for her, even with quite a few of the major and more seasoned heavy-weight royals present as well.
I sincerely hope she does well, that should calm some of the wedding nerves and get her some good press. - I wouldn't like to see her being crucified prior to her wedding, because she made a silly goof.

Presumably miss Hellqvist will go to the celebrations of QMII's 75th birthday next month? She is after all CP's fiancee.

It would IMO be a very good idea if she does go. She can practice in "safe" surroundings and in a fairly informal setting among people who are personal friends and who can be expected to shield, support and guide her.
That should make the experience a lot easier and more enjoyable for her, than if she was just thrust into a major royal event among mostly strangers.

Nevertheless, there is bound to be a considerable interest for her, even with quite a few of the major and more seasoned heavy-weight royals present as well.
I sincerely hope she does well, that should calm some of the wedding nerves and get her some good press. - I wouldn't like to see her being crucified prior to her wedding, because she made a silly goof.

We don't know if she will go. As of today it is only the King and Queen that are supposed to attend. But I really hope that most of the SRF will travel to Copenhagen, as well as I agree with your arguments. It would indeed be a good experience and setting where she could practice.

If she does go Sofia will shine.

Last edited:
There is a lot of interest in Sofias background. I'm much more interested in her future. What role will she carve out for herself in the royal sphere?

Since it was announced that she will leave her position in Project Playground, and the rumors says that she, like the other members of the Royal family, will have her own office at the Royal Palace, there are some possible scenarios for the future.

I think that the king will abdicate in a couple of years. Exactly when this happens depends on a lot of things: his and Silvias health, the political situation, if V&D have more Children and/or Sofia&CP have children. But I have no doubt it will happen.

In the future, I think that we will have a royal family with Queen Victoria, her husband and child/children. We will also see Carl Philip and Sofia with family take on Royal duties, just like princess Christina has done for the king the last four decades. Madeleine and Chris withdraws from the royal scene, just like the kings' other sister. They may be seen on the national day, Nobel and other major things, but not more than that.

This scenario leaves lots of room for Sofia to create a role for herself. What will that be? That is what interests me the most. Daniel has created a niche that focuses on young entrepenours and health issues. Where will Sofia be in 10 years?

Last edited:
The spanish press highlights Sofia's past when telling about the details of the wedding
"Carl Philip and Sofia, so will be the wedding of his highness and the 'stripper'
Carlos y Sofía, así será la boda de su alteza y la 'striper' loc EL MUNDO

"Sofia Hellqvist or how to turn a stripper to a princess in less than twelve months"
Sofía Hellqvist o cómo convertir a una stripper en princesa en menos de doce meses. Noticias de Casas Reales

The court is hardly smiling while reading these.

Correction: you are hardly smiling while reading these. Sensational headlines that tap into your dislike of her. And it is better to not project your own view onto what you think the court should think or feel.

The spanish press has been busy mocking their own queen for being a divorcee, its not a surprise they refer to Sofia as a stripper. I think the court couldn't care less, the material of Sofia's past is out there for anyone to see, they made their bed by allowing this marriage to happen so they have to lie in it.

The spanish press has been busy mocking their own queen for being a divorcee, its not a surprise they refer to Sofia as a stripper. I think the court couldn't care less, the material of Sofia's past is out there for anyone to see, they made their bed by allowing this marriage to happen so they have to lie in it.

I think they care quite a bit. So much work they have done to whitewash Sofia's past and clear the internet from her photos. They have written demands to german press about publishing photos of Sofia. At least they should care. The royal family and the court represent Sweden at home and abroad and of course it would be appreciated if the newsreports in foreign press would be positive and appreciative. The king and especially the queen have a very good reputation abroad, and Victoria and Daniel too. They are respected and it is a great pity that the positive press they got drowns under these scandalous headlines.

About Sofia's future role, I think that it is a pity that she quits as the secretary general of PP. If Madeleine can work fulltime as a project manager in WCF, Sofia could have continued her work in PP too. And represent a little like Madeleine does.

They have written demands to german press about publishing photos of Sofia.

The german press is notorious especially with the SRF (Silvia being german generates the interest). They continue to publish the most absurd things about them, especially Madeleine (these days its the marriage crisis) and Victoria (infertility, Daniel's health). They usually do up to the stage that the SRF enforces a counterstatement, what creates again a new story.

To this day, for some reason Sofia's past is not being torn apart by the german mags (for sure not because the SRF demands it) but keep on concentrating on Madeleine and Victoria. I don't know why this is, same in Sweden, Germany is not Sweden and they ususally don't respect the SRF's wishes.

Of the German press I only know Bunte's website and I find them rather two-faced. They go on and on about who pretty Sofia is and how she has changed and turned into a wonderful, beautiful, caring future Princess, but they never forget to mention her past and how marvellous her development has been. For the time being Sofia's smile and the pretty pictures sell well, and imo they plan to milk the wedding for what it's worth. But I'm sure that Sofia is not safe from them, they are ready to turn the wheel whenever that promises to sell better.

The german press is notorious especially with the SRF (Silvia being german generates the interest). They continue to publish the most absurd things about them, especially Madeleine (these days its the marriage crisis) and Victoria (infertility, Daniel's health). They usually do up to the stage that the SRF enforces a counterstatement, what creates again a new story.

To this day, for some reason Sofia's past is not being torn apart by the german mags (for sure not because the SRF demands it) but keep on concentrating on Madeleine and Victoria. I don't know why this is, same in Sweden, Germany is not Sweden and they ususally don't respect the SRF's wishes.

I was referring to this, published on 14th October 2014

A press release from Rechtsanwälte Schertz Bergmann PartG mbB Lawyer Company from Berlin
Ladies and gentlemen,
Hereby, we show that the Swedish Royal House has mandated us with the representation of Prince of Carl Philip of Sweden and Sofia Hellqvist.
On the occasion of the marriage of Prince Carl Philip of Sweden and Sofia Hellqvist, announced in the summer of 2015, it is to be feared that photos, especially the paparazzi photos, offered to the editorial offices, violate the privacy of our clients due to the already made experiences. We are tasked to ask the press not to publish such photos in the future. The same goes for texts which are false or violate the privacy of our clients.
We warn in form of this information letter to publish these kind of photos and articles. Our clients want to express in this way again the wish, to respect their privacy.
Simon Bergmann
Lawyer
Presserechtliches Informationsschreiben / Prinz Carl Philip von Schweden und Sofia Hellqvist | Pressemitteilung Schertz Bergmann Rechtsanwälte

For some reason the german press has been very kind...

Last edited:
I think that the king will abdicate in a couple of years. Exactly when this happens depends on a lot of things: his and Silvias health, the political situation, if V&D have more Children and/or Sofia&CP have children. But I have no doubt it will happen.

Why do you think the King will abdicate in a couple of years ? He is still relatively young and apparently healthy. Besides, abdication is not a common practice in Sweden, is it ?

Why do you think the King will abdicate in a couple of years ? He is still relatively young and apparently healthy. Besides, abdication is not a common practice in Sweden, is it ?

I've listened/read what he's said in this question. He actually never ruled out abdication when he's been asked about it. He has said things like "Well, I still have my health and find the job interesting" and "When our kids were younger, we were away from them quite a lot, and I think it's important that Victoria has that time with her kids". To me, all this points in the direction of abdication. Not now, but further down the line.

I think they care quite a bit. So much work they have done to whitewash Sofia's past and clear the internet from her photos. They have written demands to german press about publishing photos of Sofia. At least they should care. The royal family and the court represent Sweden at home and abroad and of course it would be appreciated if the newsreports in foreign press would be positive and appreciative. The king and especially the queen have a very good reputation abroad, and Victoria and Daniel too. They are respected and it is a great pity that the positive press they got drowns under these scandalous headlines.

About Sofia's future role, I think that it is a pity that she quits as the secretary general of PP. If Madeleine can work fulltime as a project manager in WCF, Sofia could have continued her work in PP too. And represent a little like Madeleine does.

The royal family still seems to be less concerned with Sofias past then you are. I understand that you don't like her, and you don't have to. But almost all of your posts about Sofia (and CP) are written in a negative tone. If you don't like them - which is fine - why post so much about them?

I'm sure that the Royal Court has plans for Sofias future. I don't think that she quit the PP-job to jump out into nothing. We will see in time what they have planned. I hope she finds her own way, and that the charities and issues that she gets involved in are things that she really cares about, not just stuff that are suitable for a minor royal in general.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom