The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #561  
Old 10-15-2014, 01:39 AM
MARG's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 6,464
Considering the wide range of social mores that we all live by, I can only think that standards vary greatly. But in thinking that I am reminded of the situation with CP Haakon with Mette Marit in Norway.

Was she more or less worthy than Sofia? Mette-Marit openly confessed her "sins" to the people (God would have been enough for me) and begged their forgiveness and approval. Whereas it seems the Swedes are working on the theory of "least said, soonest mended".

Different strokes for different folks.
__________________

__________________
MARG
"Words ought to be a little wild, for they are assaults of thoughts on the unthinking." - JM Keynes
  #562  
Old 10-15-2014, 06:12 AM
KitKat2006's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Oldenburg, Germany
Posts: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
Really? I cant speak for anyone else, but if my adult offspring brought home a prospective spouse with the background that this young 'lady' has I would be appalled, and I am not a Royal! Miss Slitz, Paradise Hotel and Jenna Jameson...is three strikes not enough for the civilized world to say no, thank you?
What's bad with all that? Really, I don't get it? It's not criminal being the "Miss" of a mens magazine, it's not criminal being a pornstar, it's not criminal making out with someone. Jenna Jameson is not the devil herself, but just a human being. The same goes for Sofia. And if both of them met and had fun for one moment what harm was really done? Two young women kissing? Two young women who didn't work behind a desk in an office at that time but had a slightly different, but not criminal job? Sorry, but I don't get the constant "But Miss Slitz", "But Jenna Jameson" arguments. Both facts are not bad or criminal but just unusual and shouldn't be used to argument that Sofia is not good enough for the civilized world and the constant hints that she has a bad and/or gold-digging character. In fact, people who always use such weak arguments show for me that it's them who are not very civil and tolerant.
__________________

__________________
Prejudice is opinion without judgement.
- Voltaire (1694 - 1778) -

I'm a firm supporter of fair chance's.
Use your chance, Sofia. You're doing a fine job so far.
  #563  
Old 10-15-2014, 06:40 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Somewhere, United States
Posts: 1,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by KitKat2006 View Post
What's bad with all that? Really, I don't get it? It's not criminal being the "Miss" of a mens magazine, it's not criminal being a pornstar, it's not criminal making out with someone. Jenna Jameson is not the devil herself, but just a human being. The same goes for Sofia. And if both of them met and had fun for one moment what harm was really done? Two young women kissing? Two young women who didn't work behind a desk in an office at that time but had a slightly different, but not criminal job? Sorry, but I don't get the constant "But Miss Slitz", "But Jenna Jameson" arguments. Both facts are not bad or criminal but just unusual and shouldn't be used to argument that Sofia is not good enough for the civilized world and the constant hints that she has a bad and/or gold-digging character. In fact, people who always use such weak arguments show for me that it's them who are not very civil and tolerant.


Everyone in the civilized world today has different standards and morals, there are many people out there that were brought up with the idea that keeping ones clothes on and not having soft porn sex with someone other then your spouse is being a decent and moral person with high standards of how they live their life. For others and I believe it is the younger generation because of all the social media junk that wearing less clothes and showing the butt, the aole, the boobs and everything else is okay and that sleeping with every tom dick and harry is the way to go........and makes one a popular person for whatever reason. I do know that if a child of mine had brought someone home to marry like SH, I would have huge questions into this person upbringing and how they perceive to be the kind of person who wants to marry into my family, we are all protective of our own families(no just me), I don't know(and none of us do know) for sure how CPC's mother or sister's have reacted to this marriage but in gathering that there is very little interaction(no double dates, nor dinners or shopping trips between girls) between the sisters and SH, I would bet that they aren't very pleased with this girl. Now for KCG, that is another story as he has had his life published and I think this is the type of girl he would approve of given his past (which says a lot about his character). When we are young and foolish we all make mistakes and some of those mistakes will follow us for the rest of our lives and we then will just have to accept the fact that not everyone is going to be happy with us or approve of us and that there are consequences for our actions. Then we must do everything in our power to be a better person if we are mature enough to realize those facts. Is SH that type of person who will change to the standards of the royal family or just be a gold digger who wants the money and lifestyle ......time will tell and that is all we have to go on.
  #564  
Old 10-15-2014, 07:38 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 1,336
The royal family has decided that Sohpia is good enough to marry their son and be a part of the royal family. That to me says a lot about their ability to forgive mistakes in her past. I also think they know her better than strangers who can't let go of the mistakes she has made . Harping on her past won't change it or stop the wedding.
  #565  
Old 10-15-2014, 07:50 AM
Commoner
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Germany, Germany
Posts: 35
You know what really sticks out here? The cultural difference between the USA and Europe. What would shellshock the USA ("nipplegate") is perfectly normal and acceptable in Europe. We rather make fun of the shockwave that runs through the US when some famous female "lets it slip". We're living in a world here, in Europe, where it's perfectly okay to show nudity on TV during times when even schoolchildren would watch. Naked, female breasts wouldn't raise an eyebrow or warrant age restriction. TV stations here won't blur or put a black bar over female breasts. We have beaches where everyone (from toddler to senior, men and women, complete strangers) runs around with everything exposed. Finnish sauna has men and women together, without as much as a swimming trunk on.

We've had the 70ies here, with slogans like "Wer zweimal mit derselben pennt gehört schon zum Establishment" (Freely translated "The one who sleeps twice with the same woman is an old, uncool, prude pickle.", gotta have a new sexual partner each night.) Those who invented those slogans back then are now in their sixties and grandparents.

All of this in mind I don't think the majority of Swedes care much about Sofia's past. It's not like she killed someone, or robbed a bank or beat someone up. That'd be real issues. That way she didn't do anything horrible. At least not in a cultural environment where almost every famous, female person once in their lifetime poses nude for Playboy (at least in Germany).

I know this post was pretty off topic, but I do hope it puts some perspective to the debate at hand.

best wishes Michiru
  #566  
Old 10-15-2014, 04:45 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Somewhere, United States
Posts: 1,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michiru-Kaiou View Post
You know what really sticks out here? The cultural difference between the USA and Europe. What would shellshock the USA ("nipplegate") is perfectly normal and acceptable in Europe. We rather make fun of the shockwave that runs through the US when some famous female "lets it slip". We're living in a world here, in Europe, where it's perfectly okay to show nudity on TV during times when even schoolchildren would watch. Naked, female breasts wouldn't raise an eyebrow or warrant age restriction. TV stations here won't blur or put a black bar over female breasts. We have beaches where everyone (from toddler to senior, men and women, complete strangers) runs around with everything exposed. Finnish sauna has men and women together, without as much as a swimming trunk on.

We've had the 70ies here, with slogans like "Wer zweimal mit derselben pennt gehört schon zum Establishment" (Freely translated "The one who sleeps twice with the same woman is an old, uncool, prude pickle.", gotta have a new sexual partner each night.) Those who invented those slogans back then are now in their sixties and grandparents.

All of this in mind I don't think the majority of Swedes care much about Sofia's past. It's not like she killed someone, or robbed a bank or beat someone up. That'd be real issues. That way she didn't do anything horrible. At least not in a cultural environment where almost every famous, female person once in their lifetime poses nude for Playboy (at least in Germany).

I know this post was pretty off topic, but I do hope it puts some perspective to the debate at hand.

best wishes Michiru
That is all good and dandy for you and all the other people that share your views on what a decent moral person should be, for me my grandmother taught me to be a moral human being and a lady and I am most certainly okay with that, if that makes me seem like I am old fashioned that is okay with me for I believe somewhere in the end of things that decency and morals will win out any day of the week. I think in the end time will tell how she will be in the family and just how much she will do to support the people of Sweden.
As for the Entire royal family supporting her..........don't think so until I see it, as they say a picture is worth more then a thousand words.
  #567  
Old 10-15-2014, 05:16 PM
Archduchess Zelia's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 2,514
I definitely agree with you, @michiru-kaiou. While it definitely would be talked about here in Denmark, it's not something the vast majority would have gotten all that worked up over (particularly not when it's something that happened so relatively long time ago) – and it doesn't seem that the Swedes are either. Which is great, because in the end Sofia is going to be their princess and not everyone else's.

I have said it before and I will say it again, I think it's quite astonishing just how shallow people are regarding Sofia. Some people are getting worked up as though she had committed some great crime when in reality the only thing she has done is having posed for some raunchy pictures and participated in a reality show when she was younger. I quite frankly would be endlessly more appalled if my offspring brought home a person with such narrow-minded views than a person who has Sofia's "background", but perhaps that is just me.
__________________
"I am Denmark's first female Prime Minister. But you know what? I won't be the last."
— Helle Thorning-Schmidt, former Prime Minister of Denmark

  #568  
Old 10-15-2014, 07:37 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: katonah, United States
Posts: 2,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by SElizabeth View Post
[/B]

Everyone in the civilized world today has different standards and morals, there are many people out there that were brought up with the idea that keeping ones clothes on and not having soft porn sex with someone other then your spouse is being a decent and moral person with high standards of how they live their life. For others and I believe it is the younger generation because of all the social media junk that wearing less clothes and showing the butt, the aole, the boobs and everything else is okay and that sleeping with every tom dick and harry is the way to go........and makes one a popular person for whatever reason. I do know that if a child of mine had brought someone home to marry like SH, I would have huge questions into this person upbringing and how they perceive to be the kind of person who wants to marry into my family, we are all protective of our own families(no just me), I don't know(and none of us do know) for sure how CPC's mother or sister's have reacted to this marriage but in gathering that there is very little interaction(no double dates, nor dinners or shopping trips between girls) between the sisters and SH, I would bet that they aren't very pleased with this girl. Now for KCG, that is another story as he has had his life published and I think this is the type of girl he would approve of given his past (which says a lot about his character). When we are young and foolish we all make mistakes and some of those mistakes will follow us for the rest of our lives and we then will just have to accept the fact that not everyone is going to be happy with us or approve of us and that there are consequences for our actions. Then we must do everything in our power to be a better person if we are mature enough to realize those facts. Is SH that type of person who will change to the standards of the royal family or just be a gold digger who wants the money and lifestyle ......time will tell and that is all we have to go on.
Exactly so. Well said.
  #569  
Old 10-16-2014, 07:45 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 1,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archduchess Zelia View Post
I definitely agree with you, @michiru-kaiou. While it definitely would be talked about here in Denmark, it's not something the vast majority would have gotten all that worked up over (particularly not when it's something that happened so relatively long time ago) – and it doesn't seem that the Swedes are either. Which is great, because in the end Sofia is going to be their princess and not everyone else's.

I have said it before and I will say it again, I think it's quite astonishing just how shallow people are regarding Sofia. Some people are getting worked up as though she had committed some great crime when in reality the only thing she has done is having posed for some raunchy pictures and participated in a reality show when she was younger. I quite frankly would be endlessly more appalled if my offspring brought home a person with such narrow-minded views than a person who has Sofia's "background", but perhaps that is just me.
I agree with you.
  #570  
Old 10-16-2014, 01:24 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Somewhere, United States
Posts: 1,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archduchess Zelia View Post
I definitely agree with you, @michiru-kaiou. While it definitely would be talked about here in Denmark, it's not something the vast majority would have gotten all that worked up over (particularly not when it's something that happened so relatively long time ago) – and it doesn't seem that the Swedes are either. Which is great, because in the end Sofia is going to be their princess and not everyone else's.

I have said it before and I will say it again, I think it's quite astonishing just how shallow people are regarding Sofia. Some people are getting worked up as though she had committed some great crime when in reality the only thing she has done is having posed for some raunchy pictures and participated in a reality show when she was younger. I quite frankly would be endlessly more appalled if my offspring brought home a person with such narrow-minded views than a person who has Sofia's "background", but perhaps that is just me.
I think that all of us here are brought up differently and have different ideas as to what is being a moral decent person and that should be okay with each and everyone of us. I do know that even in today's standards there is some wrong with society when it says a girl who sleeps around with anyone who wants it and a boy who does the very same thing that there are 2 very different sets of standards, it's not okay to be that girl and yet it's macho to be that boy, (that is what is going on in a school and someone who is close to a friend of mine), so the standards don't really mean much when you compare Europe to the US, it really is all about the standards of the individual person and their upbringing. Everyone here has different ideas on SH and have seen the pictures of her past, and yes she was a very young and foolish girl to make those decisions and should have had better parenting in helping her make those decisions, and we all were young and foolish at one time in life, so give that I think that none of us should be thought to be narrow minded, we should be just open minded, and yes I am a very opinionated person on what I think is a decent and moral person(and that is my life and I don't except anyone to change their views to suit me) and that doesn't make me narrow minded, I can see both sides of the coin so to speak and base my judgement on what I would want and the same goes for everyone here. So, SH will have lots of work to do being in the royal family, she will have to adapt to their way of doing things, not her way(ex:Sarah Duchess of York) and only time will tell is she can do that and that is all we have....time.
  #571  
Old 10-23-2014, 07:36 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 1,336
I think Sofia has seen what goes on with the royals I think she has an idea what is expected of her and will do fine. Sarah had no real guidance when she married Andrew, so she did things her way.
  #572  
Old 11-04-2014, 02:19 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Helsingborg, Sweden
Posts: 5
Just 2 cents from a Swede here!

For me and for many of my friends (in our early 20s) it's not the nudity per se that is the problem!
But the problem is the pure trashiness of her previous actions and behaviour!
Paradise Hotel? Men’s Magazines?

Right now a new season of Paradise Hotel is broadcast on TV3 Sweden and the participants are just sooo......trash! There is no other way to describe it. It’s people you will never take seriously! Ever!!
I know no one who would employ a Paradise Hotel participant!
And Sofia thought it was an excellent reality show to be in!

No one in Sweden took her seriously when she was a z celebrity just a few years ago so why should we take her seriously now? Because she is marrying Carl Philip?
  #573  
Old 11-04-2014, 02:36 PM
Jacknch's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Suffolk/Budapest, Hungary
Posts: 5,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBG91 View Post
Just 2 cents from a Swede here!

For me and for many of my friends (in our early 20s) it's not the nudity per se that is the problem!
But the problem is the pure trashiness of her previous actions and behaviour!
Paradise Hotel? Men’s Magazines?

Right now a new season of Paradise Hotel is broadcast on TV3 Sweden and the participants are just sooo......trash! There is no other way to describe it. It’s people you will never take seriously! Ever!!
I know no one who would employ a Paradise Hotel participant!
And Sofia thought it was an excellent reality show to be in!

No one in Sweden took her seriously when she was a z celebrity just a few years ago so why should we take her seriously now? Because she is marrying Carl Philip?
Thanks for posting this, it is always nice to read a Swedish opinion on such controversial matters affecting Sweden!
Sofia is not the text-book idealistic princess to be. But I do hope that as time progresses and she carried out her duties nicely and without controversy, she will be taken more seriously than she perhaps is today.
__________________
JACK
  #574  
Old 11-04-2014, 02:42 PM
Marty91charmed's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Near Verona and Venice, Italy
Posts: 6,061
I've already said that I dislike her but I just want to add that to me is not the naked photos the problem but I didn't like her behaviour and still don't like it now... She seems very malicious and calculating... as I said before I might change my mind abput her and I HOPE to change it... Okay, that's all now I will keep it quiet
__________________
"Yet, walking free upon her own estate
Still,in her solitude, she is the Queen".
  #575  
Old 11-04-2014, 03:02 PM
MoonShadow123's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: ..., United Kingdom
Posts: 281
In my opinion what has also gone against Sofia is her perceived lack of work ethic, because she has not had paid employment throughout the whole time Sofia has been in a relationship with Carl Philip.
  #576  
Old 11-04-2014, 03:44 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Helsingborg, Sweden
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
Thanks for posting this, it is always nice to read a Swedish opinion on such controversial matters affecting Sweden!
Sofia is not the text-book idealistic princess to be. But I do hope that as time progresses and she carried out her duties nicely and without controversy, she will be taken more seriously than she perhaps is today.
I will try to give her a chance, I will..........but it is really hard! Just think if Prince Harry wanted to marry a girl from Geordie Shore? Would People in the UK be able to take her seriously as a Royal Duchess?

Oh and I want to point out that I'm not a hypocrite! If Madeleine or Victoria would have married for example Samir Badran (former Paradise Hotel participant and z celebrity ) I would be equally skeptical!
  #577  
Old 11-04-2014, 04:47 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Somewhere, United States
Posts: 1,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBG91 View Post
I will try to give her a chance, I will..........but it is really hard! Just think if Prince Harry wanted to marry a girl from Geordie Shore? Would People in the UK be able to take her seriously as a Royal Duchess?

Oh and I want to point out that I'm not a hypocrite! If Madeleine or Victoria would have married for example Samir Badran (former Paradise Hotel participant and z celebrity ) I would be equally skeptical!
Thank you for posting and welcome.....I also will say that it is very welcome to have an opinion from someone in Sweden and who actually lives there. It's her behavior/choices/decisions that she has made in her life that I have serious doubts about, even today there is no employment records of her doing an actual job like normal people do. I don't see her as a benefit to the royal family as I don't see PCP being someone who works hard for his money, he is more the party boy, race car driver and guy to have fun with but don't take him seriously. They both seem made for each other in that regard...I am a huge fan of CPV and her husband who is a self made man all on his own without help from anyone. I am glad Sweden has Victoria as their future queen, she will be great.
  #578  
Old 11-04-2014, 05:01 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Tallahassee, United States
Posts: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBG91 View Post
Just 2 cents from a Swede here!

For me and for many of my friends (in our early 20s) it's not the nudity per se that is the problem!
But the problem is the pure trashiness of her previous actions and behaviour!
Paradise Hotel? Men’s Magazines?

Right now a new season of Paradise Hotel is broadcast on TV3 Sweden and the participants are just sooo......trash! There is no other way to describe it. It’s people you will never take seriously! Ever!!
I know no one who would employ a Paradise Hotel participant!
And Sofia thought it was an excellent reality show to be in!

No one in Sweden took her seriously when she was a z celebrity just a few years ago so why should we take her seriously now? Because she is marrying Carl Philip?
Forgive my curiosity. Why is Paradise Hotel or Men’s Magazines so bad?
  #579  
Old 11-04-2014, 05:40 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Helsingborg, Sweden
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhouhua00 View Post
Forgive my curiosity. Why is Paradise Hotel or Men’s Magazines so bad?

Is this Sophia any worse than an adulteress and a drug addict who are both in line to be Queen?
Have you seen reality shows like Paradise Hotel, Big brother, Jersey Shore, Geordie shore ect.? I don't know how I should describe people who participates it these kind of reality shows with nice words!
They are probably nice people deep inside but those shows are
Think Nicole "Snooki" Polizzi as First Lady in USA!
  #580  
Old 11-04-2014, 07:24 PM
Jacknch's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Suffolk/Budapest, Hungary
Posts: 5,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBG91 View Post
I will try to give her a chance, I will..........but it is really hard! Just think if Prince Harry wanted to marry a girl from Geordie Shore? Would People in the UK be able to take her seriously as a Royal Duchess?

Oh and I want to point out that I'm not a hypocrite! If Madeleine or Victoria would have married for example Samir Badran (former Paradise Hotel participant and z celebrity ) I would be equally skeptical!
Well, I would just give it some time and see how things work out. In my experience of people, it is not what they have done in the past that is as important as what they do in the future.
As things stand, Sofia is not yet married and not yet a member of the Swedish Royal Family. After a year or so when everyone has got used to her being a royal duchess/princess, people will start hopefully to concentrate on her new life as a wife and royal and judge her on that.
I am getting too old to harbour too many grudges these days!
__________________

__________________
JACK
Closed Thread

Tags
prince carl philip


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Daniel's Future: Discussion (his role, title, orders, pressure etc.) Yennie Crown Princess Victoria, Prince Daniel and Family 405 01-13-2017 06:38 PM
Prince Carl Philip and Princess Madeleine's Future Role Princejohnny25 Royal House of Sweden 10 03-05-2016 08:40 AM
Discussion & Research about Walther Sommerlath's Role in the Nazi Period Marengo King Carl XVI Gustaf and Queen Silvia 46 10-20-2014 10:36 PM
How Does Haakon Feel About His Future Role? Josefine Crown Prince Haakon, Crown Princess Mette-Marit and Family 28 04-06-2007 07:22 PM




Popular Tags
akhenaten albania ascot 2016 belgian queen mathilde bernadotte best gown september 2016 best hat best outfit birthday coup d'etat crown princess mary crown princess mary fashion denmark duchess of cambridge duchess of cornwall duke of cambridge family fashion fashion poll jewels king abdullah ii king abdullah ii in new york 2016 king carl gustaf and queen silvia king philippe king willem-alexander member introduction monarchy new zealand norway november 2016 october 2016 picture of the week pieter van vollenhoven pregnancy prince charles princess charlene hats princess marie princess marie eveningwear princess mary princess mary fashion princess sofia princess victoria 39th birthday queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen margrethe queen mathilde queen mathilde daytime fashion queen mathilde fashion queen maxima queen maxima hats queen rania queen rania fashion queen silvia rohan family sally bedell smith september 2016 silva state visit succession sweden the duchess of cambridge the duchess of cambridge casual wear the duchess of cambridge daytime fashion the duchess of cambridge fashion the duchess of cambridge hats tiara uae nature what ifs


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:45 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017
Jelsoft Enterprises