The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 01:18 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
Oh dear, the Swedish press again in lala-land. I never read things about a 'princess/prince school' anywhere else than in the Swedish press. It really seems that their readers are girls of 10 y/o who still believe such things. Or perhaps Sweden's gossip columnists all have a Anne Hathaway crush and have watched 'the Princess Diaries' too often. It makes you wonder how such a thing works, I am imagining a sort of Hogsworth but instead of a magic stick the people attending carry tiaras and sashes. The gossip columnists seem to have selected Madeleine for the part of Voldemort these days.

I find these idiotic Swedish gossip journalists very irritating,they seem such utter bimbos (themen and the women).
Marengo, tiaras are for the advanced. That's on the curriculum for the second semester. Freshmen (ehm. freshladies?) start with balancing books on their heads.

I know because I tried princess school once. But I had to drop out because I failed in "Balancing gracefully on high heels" .

Honestly, the press were never going to leave out the Princess School topic. It probably sells too good to be dropped.

Old 08-01-2014, 02:11 PM
Heir Presumptive

There is a series of books for tweens that are about a Princess School. So little 8 to 10 year old girls will yes indeed be gobbling this up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
The institutions are not only for princesses, but for anyone who needs to be immersed in protocol, which fork to use, diplomacy, how to dress and groom, how to carry on a conversation re: a subject that bores one to tears, etc..

They are called Finishing Schools.

Yes, I think that's really what they are talking about - referencing it as a Princess School is just working with the current language about such things. I would also think that in Sofia's case it's really going to be a few trusted older women (maybe) who will tell her the ins and outs of court protocol at functions, etc. JMO.

Old 08-01-2014, 03:13 PM
Serene Highness

At the moment I mainly wonder whether this is really going to happen.
Old 08-01-2014, 11:50 PM
Heir Presumptive

Margaret was never a looker? The woman was stunning! She was the British version of Elizabeth Taylor and Grace Kelly. Sofia can't hold a candle to her. I don't know how the Swedish press are but I fear Sofia getting to comfortable with them especially of they have a habit of turning on you like the British press.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 08-02-2014, 01:11 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilia C. View Post
Marengo, tiaras are for the advanced. That's on the curriculum for the second semester. Freshmen (ehm. freshladies?) start with balancing books on their heads.

I know because I tried princess school once. But I had to drop out because I failed in "Balancing gracefully on high heels" .

Honestly, the press were never going to leave out the Princess School topic. It probably sells too good to be dropped.
Princess School? Sounds like something out of The Princess Diaries. Does Julie Andrews teach a course?
Old 08-02-2014, 04:18 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
Margaret was never a looker? The woman was stunning! She was the British version of Elizabeth Taylor and Grace Kelly. Sofia can't hold a candle to her. I don't know how the Swedish press are but I fear Sofia getting to comfortable with them especially of they have a habit of turning on you like the British press.
I think it's only good that Sofia "can't hold a candle" to Princess Margaret because I agree with what Moonmaiden23 said in post #496. At least she doesn't have to follow in her footsteps .

As for getting too comfortable - IMO we really haven't seen that much of them together since they are engaged and they are now in it with the two of them, I would say.

That said, I don't think the Swedish press are as vicious as the British press are.
Old 08-02-2014, 04:24 AM
Imperial Majesty

The swedish press and royal experts are using term "princess school", like they used "prince school" for Daniel, when the court published a press release about his induction programme. Of course Sofia doesn't need as much information as Daniel.
Induction programme for Mr Daniel Westling - Sveriges Kungahus
Old 08-02-2014, 04:30 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
The swedish press and royal experts are using term "princess school", like they used "prince school" for Daniel, when the court published a press release about his induction programme. Of course Sofia doesn't need as much information as Daniel.
Induction programme for Mr Daniel Westling - Sveriges Kungahus
They probably had to teach Daniel how to be a public figure, they will have to teach Sofia how to tone it down and not be too much of a public figure
Old 08-02-2014, 10:39 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-Z View Post
They probably had to teach Daniel how to be a public figure, they will have to teach Sofia how to tone it down and not be too much of a public figure
If so, the family will have a nice balance .

Seriously though, I think it will all work out just fine.
Old 08-02-2014, 11:03 AM
Majesty

The difference is that Mr Westling can not avoid to have the highest public profile, as spouse and as father to a future Queen.

Ms Hellqvist can avoid a public role if she wants.
Old 08-02-2014, 03:18 PM
Majesty

That's the point: she does want to be in the spotlight and "public figure"
Old 08-02-2014, 09:45 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty91charmed View Post
That's the point: she does want to be in the spotlight and "public figure"
You say that as if it was a bad thing!

Okay, just yanking your chain, but it has occurred to me that perhaps her evil ease with the media could be turned to good? (still yanking) But Carl Philip may benefit from having a wife who is at ease in the public arena and she has the potential to actually become a great asset to the SRF.

Okay, so Princess School will definitely have to rub a few edges off and refine the raw material but nevertheless, she has potential.
Old 08-03-2014, 06:02 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post

Okay, just yanking your chain, but it has occurred to me that perhaps her evil ease with the media could be turned to good? (still yanking) But Carl Philip may benefit from having a wife who is at ease in the public arena and she has the potential to actually become a great asset to the SRF.

Okay, so Princess School will definitely have to rub a few edges off and refine the raw material but nevertheless, she has potential.
I agree with that. CP is known to be shy and a bit uncomfortable at official events. Sofia could help putting him more at ease. It could be like in the Netherlends, where Maxima did something similar with Willem Alexander. He has become more outgoing since he's married.

And no, I didn't want to compare Sofia with Maxima. I just compared the situations.

I'm a firm supporter of fair chance's.
Use your chance, Sofia. You're doing a fine job so far.
Old 08-03-2014, 06:16 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitKat2006 View Post
I agree with that. CP is known to be shy and a bit uncomfortable at official events. Sofia could help putting him more at ease. It could be like in the Netherlends, where Maxima did something similar with Willem Alexander. He has become more outgoing since he's married.

And no, I didn't want to compare Sofia with Maxima. I just compared the situations.
That is exactly in my line of thinking. And what happened with Willem-Alexander by Máxima can also be applied to Philippe of Belgium and Mathilde.

And... perhaps, just perhaps, Carl Philip is very sensitive? It is generally known that people who are sensitive are more shy than others.
Old 08-03-2014, 07:47 AM
Majesty

I don't like her at all so I will say just one thing: I really hope that Sofia won't embarassed the royal family... That family has already have enough of that
Old 08-03-2014, 07:52 AM
Heir Apparent

Well if she should slip up (being human and all) she will be in good company ...cause the royals aren't exactly wearing halos.

LaRae
Old 08-03-2014, 07:56 AM
Majesty

That's what I l also meant... Thr family had have scandals lately (The King's night clubs etc) so I really hope everything goes smoothly... We'll see
Old 08-03-2014, 09:11 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

TBH,I find these stories of a shy man blossoming due to a strong wife slightly over-exagerated. It makes a nice story for female magazines but it can't be the truth. Overcoming shyness has more to do with maturing, getting more secure with your carreer/life etc. A wife plays some part in this but to credit f.e. Mathilde for any succes that her husband has, is not fair to him at all. WA was never a wall flower btw, but as he grew older he also became more comfortable in his role, as most people do.
I don't think CP's shyness is a problem perse, he just doesn't seem to bright and doesn't seem to have much to say. Which is fine and the generation of his great uncles were known for that too. When Dutch diplomats looked for a husband for Juliana the results were: they are only interested in fast women and cars. Not much changed.
Old 08-03-2014, 09:19 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
I think Elizabeth Taylor was the British version of Elizabeth Taylor!

Margaret was pretty enough, but couldnt hold a candle to either ET or GK, IMO.
Old 08-03-2014, 09:59 AM
Heir Apparent

See I don't think Grace Kelly was "beautiful"...she was striking and very attractive to be sure...but beautiful in the way Elizabeth Taylor was...no.

LaRae

Closed Thread

Tags
prince carl philip