The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 05:06 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
Not likely. As we can already see with photos taken at a private event. Consider the amount of posting regarding bra straps.

Then on vacation (though I don't doubt for a minute that Sofia knew the cameras were there and she was fine strutting her stuff - she always will be - which will annoy some people.)

Point being, she brings on board the 'Princess Margaret' factor. The press will not back-off. She's the money-shot. Yep.
At home . In their public private time indeed not likely, but I don't think he minds at all - as in becoming jealous. And Carl Philip also knew that the cameras were there and they could have decided to go somewhere else but they didn't. Had they done that, they would probably have gotten the 'who do they think they are? Already escaping the press?'.

You have some point with the press, but I don't find it surprising as she's the only girl to come from outside.

Old 07-30-2014, 05:13 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Not likely. As we can already see with photos taken at a private event. Consider the amount of posting regarding bra straps.

Then on vacation (though I don't doubt for a minute that Sofia knew the cameras were there and she was fine strutting her stuff - she always will be - which will annoy some people.)

Point being, she brings on board the 'Princess Margaret' factor. The press will not back-off. She's the money-shot. Yep.
Lady Nimue....that louding whizzing sound you are hearing is the late Princess Margaret, Countess of Snowden spinning in her tomb at having comparisons drawn between herself and the former Miss Slitz!

The only Royal female in recent memory that I can remember the paps cruising like sharks in anticipation of some hoped for gaffe or risqué photo was Sarah (Fergie) Ferguson in her heyday. That would be a much more apt comparison than Margaret, who, for all her messy dysfunction, never lost a sense of regal dignity. She was a daughter of the last Emperor of India and by God nobody ever forgot it!

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 07-30-2014, 06:12 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
Lady Nimue....that louding whizzing sound you are hearing is the late Princess Margaret, Countess of Snowden spinning in her tomb at having comparisons drawn between herself and the former Miss Slitz!

The only Royal female in recent memory that I can remember the paps cruising like sharks in anticipation of some hoped for gaffe or risqué photo was Sarah (Fergie) Ferguson in her heyday. That would be a much more apt comparison than Margaret, who, for all her messy dysfunction, never lost a sense of regal dignity. She was a daughter of the last Emperor of India and by God nobody ever forgot it!
For her day Princess Margaret was scandalous. Fergie was harmless. Except for the unfortunate toe-sucking photos, Fergie's greatest sins were being 'fat', fashion-challeged and 'common'. Not 'scandalous' in my book - more rudeness by the press.

Princess Margaret - for her times - was living in the fast lane. Stories of her engaging in what was at that time considered 'inappropriate' are numerous. Yes, and all delivered with her royal sense of entitlement.

Princess Sofia will be the same sort of press bait, though I think Sofia knows exactly the parameters of the role she is taking on, like any good thespian, and will abide by the constraints. That's meant as a compliment. But the racy past will always make her a la Princess Margaret.

EDIT: Or maybe more accurate, Sofia is more akin to Mrs Simpson?
Old 07-30-2014, 06:15 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
At home . In their public private time indeed not likely, but I don't think he minds at all - as in becoming jealous. And Carl Philip also knew that the cameras were there and they could have decided to go somewhere else but they didn't. Had they done that, they would probably have gotten the 'who do they think they are? Already escaping the press?'.
Absolutely agree. In fact, I think he was in a way putting on a display of affection for the cameras. Not for a moment do I think the display was pretense. I think they are genuinely 'enmeshed' and totally in sync with each other. That was obvious. They are in love and he is proud of her. Good for him.

Quote:
You have some point with the press, but I don't find it surprising as she's the only girl to come from outside.
And what a girl!
Old 07-30-2014, 06:23 PM
Nobility

Mazel tov!
Old 07-30-2014, 07:43 PM
Majesty

Quote:
For her day Princess Margaret was scandalous. Fergie was harmless. Except for the unfortunate toe-sucking photos, Fergie's greatest sins were being 'fat', fashion-challeged and 'common'. Not 'scandalous' in my book - more rudeness by the press.

Princess Margaret - for her times - was living in the fast lane. Stories of her engaging in what was at that time considered 'inappropriate' are numerous. Yes, and all delivered with her royal sense of entitlement.

Princess Sofia will be the same sort of press bait, though I think Sofia knows exactly the parameters of the role she is taking on, like any good thespian, and will abide by the constraints. That's meant as a compliment. But the racy past will always make her a la Princess Margaret.

EDIT: Or maybe more accurate, Sofia is more akin to Mrs Simpson?
In all fairness, Margaret became rather chubby too. In fact she seemed to lose her looks fairly quickly after her wedding.

The fact that Margaret was an insider, a born Royal princess, sort of wipes out any comparison between Margaret/Sofia and how the press will treat her. Sofia will always be-in the eyes of the media-a former reality TV starlet first, and a princess second. She doesn't have and will not have even a smidgeon of mystique that Margaret kept even in her muu muu and babushka wearing, puffy faced worst. Margaret in spite of everything, was always the Queen's sister and the daughter of George VI.

Unlike Fergie Sofia is neither fat nor fashion-challenged. But-based on some of her past interviews and her "work", she does seem to be as common as it gets.

Sofia can't even be compared to Wallis Simpson, imo. She is truly in a league of her own as far as princesses are concerned.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 07-30-2014, 08:05 PM
Heir Presumptive

Margaret was never a "looker", as Sofia is. She was the best royal factions could muster. She was for her time rebellious and very avante garde. Margaret's mystique, as one poster alluded, didn't exist. She was short, dumpy, but full of fun. Fergie was another challenge. I though she was lovely the way she was. But she was hounded to be slimmer, better dressed, etc. She ran rings around Margaret. Too bad she didn't have the "you can do anything and will be okay" circle around her that Margaret did. Sophia is young and being judged by standards, obviously the SRF has chosen to pass by.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:13 PM
Commoner

Quote:
In all fairness, Margaret became rather chubby too. In fact she seemed to lose her looks fairly quickly after her wedding.

The fact that Margaret was an insider, a born Royal princess, sort of wipes out any comparison between Margaret/Sofia and how the press will treat her. Sofia will always be-in the eyes of the media-a former reality TV starlet first, and a princess second. She doesn't have and will not have even a smidgeon of mystique that Margaret kept even in her muu muu and babushka wearing, puffy faced worst. Margaret in spite of everything, was always the Queen's sister and the daughter of George VI.

Unlike Fergie Sofia is neither fat nor fashion-challenged. But-based on some of her past interviews and her "work", she does seem to be as common as it gets.

Sofia can't even be compared to Wallis Simpson, imo. She is truly in a league of her own as far as princesses are concerned.
In reading many books on Wallis Simpson, she was one very strong woman who knew her way around the world and when she decided she wanted something, she set her sights on it and went for it and she got what she wanted, This is how I believe sofia is, determined and single minded in what she wants in life and nothing gets in her way........will she be able to be a value to the family she is marrying, I would hope so and I do hope she goes to the Princess School.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:36 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:

Curious about that. I've never seen any of her interviews. Are they available to view?

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
Margaret was never a "looker", as Sofia is.
Couldn't prove that by the pictures I've seen and the comments by those who encountered her. She was quite striking as a young woman. She did age badly towards the last decades of her life but even with the weight she had amazing eyes. I've heard comments about her impact - a combination of eyes and flawless skin. She was prettier than her elder sister, though her elder sister was no slouch in her younger days either. I see Princess Margaret as similar to Elizabeth Taylor - same kind of mesmerizing eye color and flawless skin. They aged in very similar ways, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Lady View Post
In reading many books on Wallis Simpson, she was one very strong woman who knew her way around the world and when she decided she wanted something, she set her sights on it and went for it and she got what she wanted, This is how I believe sofia is, determined and single minded in what she wants in life and nothing gets in her way........will she be able to be a value to the family she is marrying, I would hope so and I do hope she goes to the Princess School.
Mrs Simpson was also labeled a wanton woman because of all her several marriages. There was that malicious lie that she had been trained in sexual acts at an Asian brothel - that kind of thing. Both women - strong, as you mention, and both linked to a sexual past that causes social comment and raised eyebrows.

Whether Sofia will be a rousing success, we shall see. If her choice is all about Carl Phillip and she realizes she is walking away from a 'gaiety life' for a more back-seat, sedate, royal, box-like life - maybe. If not - we'll find out soon enough.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:43 PM
Heir Apparent

Margaret was an absolute beauty when younger. Elizabeth was as well but in a slightly different way. Margaret lived a fairly racy life with no small amount of controversy for the day.

LaRae
Old 07-30-2014, 08:45 PM
Majesty

Sounds about right to me.

Getting back to her latest intended erm job/hobby whatever, I'd lay odds that CG will allow CP's lovely lady the same latitude he has shown his son.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Margaret was an absolute beauty when younger. Elizabeth was as well but in a slightly different way. Margaret lived a fairly racy life with no small amount of controversy for the day. LaRae
Yes. She caused quite a stir. It was also a very different time. I've read the memoirs of the time, or some of them. Princess Margaret - even the Queen and Queen Mother, in fact - went dancing and night-clubbing, all decked out in jewels and furs and lavish gowns. Such dress was not just for state occasions. Princess Margaret kept up the night-clubbing (sans the jewels and gowns) into the 1960's and beyond. Like a female Hemingway - hard drinking, heavy smoking, liking the fast crowd with a wicked sense of humor and a 'salty' tongue. She was the fast crowd.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:27 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Margaret was an absolute beauty when younger. Elizabeth was as well but in a slightly different way. Margaret lived a fairly racy life with no small amount of controversy for the day.

LaRae
Margaret in her teens and 20's was one of the most beautiful women I have ever seen. She had flawless skin, incredible eyes, a voluptuous petite body. She was a classic beauty.

Sofia has a great body and nice eyes, but she is nowhere in Margaret's league looks-wise, imo.

Lady Nimue,

All of Sofia's past interviews are available through Google. The one where she discusses the most unusual place she ever had intercourse and her attraction to women are particularly fun.

There is no way this girl can be compared to Princess Margaret, imo.

Old 07-31-2014, 01:12 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Margaret in her teens and 20's was one of the most beautiful women I have ever seen. She had flawless skin, incredible eyes, a voluptuous petite body. She was a classic beauty.

Sofia has a great body and nice eyes, but she is nowhere in Margaret's league looks-wise, imo.

Lady Nimue,

All of Sofia's past interviews are available through Google. The one where she discusses the most unusual place she ever had intercourse and her attraction to women are particularly fun.

There is no way this girl can be compared to Princess Margaret, imo.
And perhaps that is a good thing, for both of them.
Old 07-31-2014, 02:10 AM
Majesty

I think you are probably right Skippy.

Margaret for all her beauty and lineage was a terrible snob. She was not very nice to anyone she deemed unworthy.

One thing Sofia will probably never be accused of is snobbery and unkindness.

Old 08-01-2014, 06:23 AM
Imperial Majesty

Aftonbladet's royal expert Roger Lundgren has said to Aftonbladet Klick! that there is a lot to do for Sofia after the holiday. The wedding preparations start and Sofia will go to a "princess school".
According to Lundgren Sofia will probably get the title princess and former reality show participant from Dalarna has to learn how to behave like royalty.
- She must learn how to talk, when to eat, when to stop eating, when one curtseys and so on, says Lundgren.
There is much to be prepared for the wedding, which most likely will be in Stockholm. Lundgren guesses that Sofia will wear a wedding dress designed by Lars Wallin.
I höst sätts Sofia Hellqvist i prinsesskola Stoppa Pressarna
Old 08-01-2014, 10:49 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
Aftonbladet's royal expert Roger Lundgren has said to Aftonbladet Klick! that there is a lot to do for Sofia after the holiday. The wedding preparations start and Sofia will go to a "princess school".
According to Lundgren Sofia will probably get the title princess and former reality show participant from Dalarna has to learn how to behave like royalty.
- She must learn how to talk, when to eat, when to stop eating, when one curtseys and so on, says Lundgren.
There is much to be prepared for the wedding, which most likely will be in Stockholm. Lundgren guesses that Sofia will wear a wedding dress designed by Lars Wallin.
I höst sätts Sofia Hellqvist i prinsesskola Stoppa Pressarna
In 10 years this will be made into a tv-movie "My fair lady 2"
Old 08-01-2014, 11:20 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Oh dear, the Swedish press again in lala-land. I never read things about a 'princess/prince school' anywhere else than in the Swedish press. It really seems that their readers are girls of 10 y/o who still believe such things. Or perhaps Sweden's gossip columnists all have a Anne Hathaway crush and have watched 'the Princess Diaries' too often. It makes you wonder how such a thing works, I am imagining a sort of Hogsworth but instead of a magic stick the people attending carry tiaras and sashes. The gossip columnists seem to have selected Madeleine for the part of Voldemort these days.

I find these idiotic Swedish gossip journalists very irritating,they seem such utter bimbos (themen and the women).
Old 08-01-2014, 11:33 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
Oh dear, the Swedish press again in lala-land. I never read things about a 'princess/prince school' anywhere else than in the Swedish press. It really seems that their readers are girls of 10 y/o who still believe such things. Or perhaps Sweden's gossip columnists all have a Anne Hathaway crush and have watched 'the Princess Diaries' too often. It makes you wonder how such a thing works, I am imagining a sort of Hogsworth but instead of a magic stick the people attending carry tiaras and sashes. The gossip columnists seem to have selected Madeleine for the part of Voldemort these days.

I find these idiotic Swedish gossip journalists very irritating,they seem such utter bimbos (themen and the women).
Roger Lundgren is quite respected royal expert in Sweden, he wrote queen Silvia's Jubilee Book on her 70th birthday in very tight co-operation with the queen.
Old 08-01-2014, 11:39 AM
Heir Apparent

The institutions are not only for princesses, but for anyone who needs to be immersed in protocol, which fork to use, diplomacy, how to dress and groom, how to carry on a conversation re: a subject that bores one to tears, etc..

They are called Finishing Schools.

Closed Thread

Tags
prince carl philip