The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden > Prince Carl Philip and Princess Sofia

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 08:39 AM
Commoner

Yes the CV has gaps, but my point was that you can't claim that she doesn't have any education at all. It would be really easy to check and see if she has attended the courses and so she must have taken them. I'm sure that it would probably quite easy to find otu what grades she got as well, at least for the courses she took in Stockholm.

Old 07-01-2014, 08:47 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archduchess Zelia View Post
Some of the comments in this thread just ooze 'internalized sexism' from afar. How absolutely sad – nothing makes me cringe more than when women feel the need to condescend and patronise other women – shouldn't we leave that to the men who do it so well already? It's the most disgusting of things. Whatever happened to solidarity? Well, it's certainly long gone in most of these comments.

And yes, everyone are entitled to their own opinions – opinions that have been spewed all over this thread to the point where no one are uncertain that the general opinion of certain posters is that Sofia is an immoral wench – a sort of modern Jezebel – who will be the certain death of the entire nation of Sweden

I hope Sofia will prove all of her critics wrong. I hope she ends up as one of the most hard-working, well-loved and iconic members that the Swedish royal family has ever seen. I truly hope that more than anything – just to get a good laugh out of all these people who have declared her the doom of Sweden not even a week after her engagement to CP.
Due to the sad reality of our society today.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 07-01-2014, 09:15 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archduchess Zelia View Post
Some of the comments in this thread just ooze 'internalized sexism' from afar. How absolutely sad – nothing makes me cringe more than when women feel the need to condescend and patronise other women – shouldn't we leave that to the men who do it so well already? It's the most disgusting of things. Whatever happened to solidarity? Well, it's certainly long gone in most of these comments.
I hope that you would have felt that same way also if Chris O’Neill had been a "glamour model" instead of an investment banker. If he would have been a well known fame seeker with a odd CV (TV-reality show, posing in nude photos, chosen as Mr. Slitz, not working fulltime, going from a party to another party).
For me that would have been even more difficult to accept than this Sofia case. Somehow it is easier to accept that a woman does nude or bikini photos than a man, at least for me. And men are often allowed more easily to marry "lower than themselves" than women.

I also believe, that King Carl Gustaf wouldn't have allowed Madeleine marry Chris, if he had had Sofia's background.
Old 07-01-2014, 09:37 AM
Serene Highness

Hahaha nothing surprises me these days. Like someone already said, the swedish royals have probably learned the lesson the hard way (P Bertil and P Lilian, P Margareta and Robin Douglas) about what happens when young love are kept apart with cold brutality from the elder generations.

This engagement hasn't got as much attention at all in Sweden like the Crown princess engagement or the first engagement of P Madeleine.
It's funny Every time when people who don't live in Sweden belive that they know what every swedish
Citizen are thinking.
I think we should let Charles and Diana be the very last exemple of how things turns out when you are not allowed to marry your love and forced to marry someone you do not love !

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 07-01-2014, 01:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenobia View Post
I'm one of the Swedish taxpayers mentioned in this thread, so I think that my two cents should matter.

Like I said before, I have my reservations about Sofia. But I'm more than willing to give her a chance. Why? Simply because everyone deserves second (and sometimes third and more) chances. We haven't seen her in this new role yet. Best case scenario, IMO, is that she can carve out a role for herself which includes bringing popularity for the monarchy among those who don't approve of it today. She isn't camera shy, and that could prove to be useful further down the line.

I have doubts, yes. But I'm not bitter, and I accept that Carl Philip loves this woman and wants to marry her. I've actually never seen him so happy and outgoing as on the press conference last friday. I hope that trend continues.

And for all of you who doesn't approve: What exactly do you want? Is there anything that can happen, besides from Carl Philip dumping her, that could possibly please you? Will a decade of hard and faultless work from Sofias side be enough? Or is there nothing this couple can do that will ever allow her to - in your eyes - move on and get a new start and a new life together with Carl Philip?
Thank you for posting, as a non-Swede there is nothing more i can add to this discussion than you have said above
Old 07-01-2014, 01:46 PM
Courtier

Now, we know Sofia has received some kind university education. People can't claim she has no education at all, so they came with the "brilliant" argument: "The CV has gaps". What a nonsense.

Oh, and she uses her royal connections to promote charity! What a crime! Wait, royals all over the world uses their royal status and their connections to promote charity. I suppose the Sofia Haters will say that all charity should be stopped. That's their logic.
Old 07-01-2014, 02:12 PM
Heir Apparent

It has nothing to do with Sofia haters or whatever. People who believe in a monarchy tend to believe that this institution represents the best of their society, that its members try to embody the respect and dignity of their country and its institutions, at home and abroad.

This is no different from an ordinary family. When a son comes home with a Harvard or Yale graduate from a "good family" the family will jump up and be happy with the excellent new alliance. When a son comes home with a lady who has made a 'career' as an underwear and nude model, has little prospects on the career market because of a poor curriculum, then also there the family will frown and think twice. And then we are talking about a "normal" family and not about the first family of a country.

With a fitness instructor and an underwear model the message is: anyone can become a royal Prince. If standards are so low that descent, background or prestige does have no any meaning, then people begin to wonder what they are actually cheering and applauding to. A royal family? This dilemma threats all royal families who have thrown all standards out of the palace windows.
Old 07-01-2014, 02:29 PM
Heir Presumptive

Look, specifically, this royal family, The Bernadottes, are not royal to begin with. Their founding father was a Marshall in the French Army and was born in a small town of Pau. His wife, Desiree Clary, was the daughter of a silk merchant. They did fine. It really doesn't matter. Many who graduate from prestigious schools go on to do very mundane things and many who went to ordinary schools succeed beyond imagination. Bill Gates never went to college. Steve Jobs started his projects in his garage. President Truman never went to college and he was a bright man. George W. went to Harvard and Yale and is a fool. Camilla never worked, except a short time and lived fine and became a famous mistress and will be Queen. They are young and happy and in love. That is the best thing. They will do well.
Old 07-01-2014, 02:32 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
Look, specifically, this royal family, The Bernadottes, are not royal to begin with. Their founding father was a Marshall in the French Army and was born in a small town of Pau. His wife, Desiree Clary, was the daughter of a silk merchant. They did fine. It really doesn't matter. Many who graduate from prestigious schools go on to do very mundane things and many who went to ordinary schools succeed beyond imagination. Bill Gates never went to college. Steve Jobs started his projects in his garage. President Truman never went to college and he was a bright man. George W. went to Harvard and Yale and is a fool. Camilla never worked, except a short time and lived fine and became a famous mistress and will be Queen. They are young and happy and in love. That is the best thing. They will do well.

No one was "royal to begin with". Every royal family started with one person not being royal but declaring himself as such. Usually after winning some big battle/war.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 07-01-2014, 02:33 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elenath View Post
No one was "royal to begin with". Every royal family started with one person not being royal but declaring himself as such. Usually after winning some big battle/war.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Of course, you are right. Royal is a made up appellation, when some guy had a big sword and took the town.
Old 07-01-2014, 02:36 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cris M View Post
Now, we know Sofia has received some kind university education. People can't claim she has no education at all, so they came with the "brilliant" argument: "The CV has gaps". What a nonsense.

Oh, and she uses her royal connections to promote charity! What a crime! Wait, royals all over the world uses their royal status and their connections to promote charity. I suppose the Sofia Haters will say that all charity should be stopped. That's their logic.
Gaps at Sofia's CV aren't nonsense. The least one can expect from a person who gets married with a member of the royal family, is that that person has in her adulthood either studied or worked so that she can have provided herself with her own salary. The CV which the court gave with the engagement press release tells that Sofia was born and the CV continues from 2006 when Sofia went to New York. There is no mention that any of her studies happened at early 2000's, but perhaps she graduated from upper secondary school, it must have happened in 2003.
But if she marries Carl Philip, hopefully the court makes a proper CV with all the information to the court website.

No, I don't say that the royals should stop their charity work. But Sofia hasn't been a royal and isn't that yet.
Old 07-01-2014, 02:45 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
They are blood royals....Jean Baptiste Bernadotte May not have been royal...but many bernadotte princes married Vasa princesses such as Josefina of Leuchtenburg and Victoria of Baden in fact they were known as the Vasa Princesses at court...thus Carl Gustaf and his children can trace their lineage at least 600 years
Old 07-01-2014, 03:41 PM
Nobility

I am not one that has posted here against Sophia, but I cannot understand why some are saying since we're women we need to support sophia or that since we don't like her past we must be all saints.
I mean, it's not being a woman or a man, but liking something or not.
Now, I'm not her fan, but I don't care about Prince Carl Philip to be horrified, surely I don't like her past and the choices she makes nor her career with Project Playground.
However, I'm happy Prince Carl Philip gets to marry who he want!
I'd clearly prefer her not to become Princess because she doesn't seem a good representative for the Swedish people as a princess should be: I just cannot see her on the same level of other princesses

*waits for backlash*
Old 07-01-2014, 03:56 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
Gaps at Sofia's CV aren't nonsense. The least one can expect from a person who gets married with a member of the royal family, is that that person has in her adulthood either studied or worked so that she can have provided herself with her own salary. The CV which the court gave with the engagement press release tells that Sofia was born and the CV continues from 2006 when Sofia went to New York. There is no mention that any of her studies happened at early 2000's, but perhaps she graduated from upper secondary school, it must have happened in 2003.
But if she marries Carl Philip, hopefully the court makes a proper CV with all the information to the court website.

No, I don't say that the royals should stop their charity work. But Sofia hasn't been a royal and isn't that yet.
Yes, it's nonsense. Education is a very important and wonderful thing, but it's not all that matters. I know we shouldn't make comparisons to other royals, but a late Princess who was not well educated is almost worshiped by people here. The fact is that one does not need to be university educated to do good work.

Sofia Hellqvist may not have the best CV in the world, but she's trying to make a difference with her charity work. And everyone - royal or commoner - uses connections to promote charities, but you only Sofia should be condemned because of that.

Sofia has committed a lot of mistakes on her past, but she has changed since. A lot of years has passed since she has posed or participated in a reality show. It's seems everyone but Sofia can change. People who want to judge and condemn her forever have no morals, they are just bitter hypocrites.
Old 07-01-2014, 04:16 PM
Majesty

Swedish royals and their spouses/partners |Blogs•Spletnik.ru

Ms Helqvist seems to be accepted by Prince Carl Philip's sisters. The photo is dated July 2012. The original source is ru-royalty.livejournal.com
Old 07-01-2014, 04:20 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
Swedish royals and their spouses/partners |Blogs•Spletnik.ru

Ms Helqvist seems to be accpeted by Prince Carl Philip's sisters. The photo is dated July 2012.The original source is ru-royalty.livejournal.com
I'm sure someone here will say The King forced Crown Princess Victoria and Princess Madeline to pose for this picture, in order to pretend they like Sofia, because it's "obviously" they hate their brother's future wife.
Old 07-01-2014, 07:29 PM
Serene Highness

Bit off topic, has there been a formal announcement of any future title? Chris refused it and Jonas was going to be duke not prince..
Old 07-01-2014, 07:35 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esmerelda View Post
Bit off topic, has there been a formal announcement of any future title? Chris refused it and Jonas was going to be duke not prince..
I don't believe anything has been announced yet.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 07-01-2014, 08:24 PM
Courtier

Here is an odd thought: Maybe they (the RF) see this as a 2nd chance so to speak, or more of a "blank slate" if you will. Maybe they plan on sending her to "Princess School" like they did for Diana, Mary and Letizia? I say blank slate, as they can mold her into what they want and expect out of the wife of a Prince??? They can teach her how to deal with the press correctly, do more good work with more charities, expand and get more involved with her current charity and how to use her status as a positive role model for young ladies. How to own up to her past, but do it with decorum. CP does not have such a great reputation either. Maybe together, they can help rebuild each other's reputation for the better and turn out to be an asset to the RF???!!!!
I don't condone what she did in her early years, but the girl made a living for herself. And at the time, it was just for herself. she could not have possible seen that she would be dating/marrying a prince in her future. As for her education? Some people are street smart and not book smart. Maybe university was just not her thing, but that does not say she is uneducated. She is educated, just in a different way. Some people make mistakes and they learn from them. maybe this is what she has done. As for the RF lowering their expectations for spouses, it seems there are too many examples of royalty marrying for the wrong reasons, and maybe they do not want history to repeat itself in their generation.
Who knows!!! after reading the last 2 pgs of this thread, my thoughts started wondering and this is what my tiny little brain was thinking! Just so much hulla ballo over a simple girl!
Old 07-02-2014, 03:41 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icea View Post
Yes the CV has gaps, but my point was that you can't claim that she doesn't have any education at all. It would be really easy to check and see if she has attended the courses and so she must have taken them. I'm sure that it would probably quite easy to find otu what grades she got as well, at least for the courses she took in Stockholm.
She has taken some courses.......and so she has had some education. Okay if that is the case then I am a professor in Ancient Egypt from the University that I took courses in, the University of Chicago and the Oriental Institute which is a very famous college for it's studies, check it on line and weep.......give me a break, anybody can take a course and add it to their CV and that doesn't mean squat. I am not a professor then she has graduated from college and I don't need something to lie about on my CV, she does. She is just whitewashing her image and trying to fool people into thinking that she has done something important in life, charity work or whatever. It will catch up with her and the court is stupid and foolish and ignorant to white wash her CV......most people can see through this and why in the heck lie about it.........do what MM did, admit your mistakes in public, come to the table with some compassion and understanding and tell the darn truth......then people would have more respect for her and then attitudes would change. She is getting a great lifestyle all paid for by hard working people who will and do have so much less then she has today.......that is injustice! She hasn't worked for a darn dime and in my opinion never has the prince.

Closed Thread

Tags
prince carl philip