The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden > Prince Carl Philip and Princess Sofia

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 09:10 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SElizabeth View Post

Gym owner ..............that is not even funny. It was a Very successful business regardless of what that business was or not, it could be in the food industry, a retail clothing business whatever, he worked for it, he earned it and he was a success at it........he made his own money, nobody paid for his clothes, the roof over his head, the food he ate, NOBODY paid his way in life, that is Real Character in a person be they man or woman.
Before I type the rest of he messgae I just want to point out that I really like Prince Daniel and I have no problem with him whatsoever.

Now even if Daniel was a very successful business man the facts are that he is called "the gym owner" by a lot of the Swedish nobility (one of my sister's best friends come from a noble family, and she only refers to Daniel as "the gym owner" and never prince Daniel) and in the eyes of them he isn't fit to become Prince consort of Sweden, no matter how hard he worked and how successful his business was; he will only ever be "the gym owner" to them despite how hard he works.

A lot of the general public in Sweden really likes Daniel though probably because he is that gym owner who worked his way to the top. Because even if we don't acknowledge it consciously, we can relate to Daniel because he is "a man of the people".

Sofia on the other hand has done a lot of things most people can't relate to and so most people immediately think she's not suitable. It's all a matter of perspective. I'm sure there are a lot of people who are more or less in the same position as Sofia (having taken nude pictures when they were young or something else that they wouldn't have done now that they are older and wiser) who admire the fact that she's managed to turn her life around and do something else (and if the man she was marrying wasn't a prince the pictures she took in her youth would most likely not affect her future anymore).

Old 06-30-2014, 09:10 AM
Heir Apparent

It depends on wich kind of posing she did at 13...

Old 06-30-2014, 09:11 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenobia View Post
Hear, hear!

I admit, I have some reservations when it comes to Sofia. But I'm willing to give her a chance to start over and prove herself to everyone. Everyone deserves a second chance. She's no different than you and I in that matter.

Another thing that I'm quite sure of is that these two are in love. And that's actually all I need to know. Carl Philip seems happy and relaxed around her. His family has accepted her, and they know her better than any of the posters on this forum. No one knows what's in the future, but I hope that she will find her way and place as apart of the royal family.

I must say that I agree with this sentiment. The pictures and behavior in her past absolutely bother me, and I can't defend them at all, but I also think it's possible for someone to change.
Old 06-30-2014, 09:21 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
None what so ever. If she was only attracted to women, I could see a problem.. :) I honestly don't think that anyone in Sweden (well, perhaps some conservative royal watches) cares if she would happen to be bisexual.
For me it does not matter at all what kind of sexual-nature someone has, but the fact that it is written in the headlines of the gossip press as a special fact, makes me think that it is not that "normal" for their readers, but more something special. Otherwise who would have cared and who would have printed that fact.
Old 06-30-2014, 09:29 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjetajiem View Post
For me it does not matter at all what kind of sexual-nature someone has, but the fact that it is written in the headlines of the gossip press as a special fact, makes me think that it is not that "normal" for their readers, but more something special. Otherwise who would have cared and who would have printed that fact.
I don't think that the headlines you've seen are from Swedish newspapers. It's a bigger deal - in more conservative parts of the world - if you're bisexual or gay.
Old 06-30-2014, 09:37 AM
Heir Presumptive

Sofia's previous lifestyle choices wouldn't be ones I'd take myself and I can see how some posters would have concerns about how this will effect her as a working royal. But I'd still rather see her working as a royal to earn the perks than her marrying and being like Princess Madeleine and doing nothing but taking the perks anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 06-30-2014, 09:58 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
I don't think that the headlines you've seen are from Swedish newspapers. It's a bigger deal - in more conservative parts of the world - if you're bisexual or gay.
No, from the Telegraaf, a dutch brother of Bild Zeitung or Daily Mail.
To be read with caution, but read by a large part of the population
Old 06-30-2014, 09:58 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icea View Post
Before I type the rest of he messgae I just want to point out that I really like Prince Daniel and I have no problem with him whatsoever.

Now even if Daniel was a very successful business man the facts are that he is called "the gym owner" by a lot of the Swedish nobility (one of my sister's best friends come from a noble family, and she only refers to Daniel as "the gym owner" and never prince Daniel) and in the eyes of them he isn't fit to become Prince consort of Sweden, no matter how hard he worked and how successful his business was; he will only ever be "the gym owner" to them despite how hard he works.

A lot of the general public in Sweden really likes Daniel though probably because he is that gym owner who worked his way to the top. Because even if we don't acknowledge it consciously, we can relate to Daniel because he is "a man of the people".

Sofia on the other hand has done a lot of things most people can't relate to and so most people immediately think she's not suitable. It's all a matter of perspective. I'm sure there are a lot of people who are more or less in the same position as Sofia (having taken nude pictures when they were young or something else that they wouldn't have done now that they are older and wiser) who admire the fact that she's managed to turn her life around and do something else (and if the man she was marrying wasn't a prince the pictures she took in her youth would most likely not affect her future anymore).
That to me is just plain being a snob and very narrow minded if the nobles of Sweden think he is *just a gym owner*. Something that people of this world need to learn and I really mean this:
*When we are being created in our mother's womb, we have NO choices as to who are parents are, what country we are born into, what color our skin, eyes, hair nor how tall we will be, we have no choice in our IQ, and most of all we have no choice if we will even be healthy or not* so we this baby must and should grow up and accept who you are for that is what is given to you so make the best of it******
People that are *Born* into a position of being royal or in a noble family are there not because of themselves and what they did, but they are there because they were*Born* there, it's just an *Accident of Birth* no more no less and yes these people are very narrowed minded and need lessons in humility and compassion which they will probably never receive. Many of these nobles make the same mistakes and do the most horrible things to other human beings. I support a monarchy only if it works for the *Entire Population* not just the rich and wealthy. If they can't work for the people then they need to go and be done with and it has happened such as Greece and so many other countries in the world. And I live in a republic, it is no better then a monarchy and people that live in a monarchy don't understand that, my government is not for the people at the moment and there is going to be much trouble in the future for this country, so noble or not, if you can't be for the people as a whole then don't be in that position in life.
One thing I have learned after reading all these history books that I have, around 300, as I am a history buff, *All kingdoms, empires, and world powers come to an end because of the very attitudes that these nobles have and power and greed will destroy all these kingdoms, empires and world powers*. It's just a given and it will happen sooner rather then later. I don't predict the future, it's just that history has a way of always repeating itself, all the time. People don't learn the lessons in the history books at all and never will.
I like Victoria and Daniel very much, they are have truly found their soul mates in each other and they have such love between them and for their lovely daughter.
I always say that *Respect is not a given in life because you have money, position, power or title, Respect is given only by how you treat others*.
Old 06-30-2014, 10:29 AM
Gentry

so, regarding Sofia's past, does majority of Sweden agree that she is going to marry CP?
Old 06-30-2014, 12:08 PM
Heir Apparent

How Silvia S. succeeded to be a popular Queen without any advices except perhaps from Princess Christina , wearing marvelously the whole Swedish jewels tiaras is fascinating.
But she had a background of Hostess , worked hard in many situations . Well done.
Old 06-30-2014, 01:56 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Such a shame that a beautiful moment between to people who love each other and are taking a major step together is being turned into something bad and ugly because they can't get over the past.

Couldn't agree more with you Dman
Old 06-30-2014, 02:23 PM
Imperial Majesty

I would hope that people would have enough sense to not post ugly messages and nude pictures on Madeleine's Facebook page.

It goes to prove that we live in a very scary world that's filled with people who's brains is still on summer vacation.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 06-30-2014, 02:43 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
I would hope that people would have enough sense to not post ugly messages and nude pictures on Madeleine's Facebook page.

It goes to prove that we live in a very scary world that's filled with people who's brains is still on summer vacation.
But it is good that they post them, if it makes some people with rose-coloured glasses to understand, what kind of a woman Sofia is. Some people really believe that she has just done a couple of normal bikini photoshoots. People have the right to know the truth about the woman who they have to provide for with their tax money next year.
Old 06-30-2014, 02:50 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
But it is good that they post them, if it makes some people with rose-coloured glasses to understand, what kind of a woman Sofia is. Some people really believe that she has just done a couple of normal bikini photoshoots. People have the right to know the truth about the woman who they have to provide for with their tax money next year.
While I agree with you that some people are looking at the situation with rose tinted glasses it is wrong to suggest anyone on a board can educate others on who Sofia "really is". None of us know her personally, nor can we speak for her or her reasons for past decisions. We have no idea what kind of woman she really is, just an impression.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 06-30-2014, 02:55 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Absolutely, the media can be as critical as they like, i'd welcome it, because if CP and Sofia are certain of their relationship, they will be able to overcome it

but there's a place and time for everything and on facebook, if a sister congratulates her brother with his engagement it's not the place of total strangers to post pics of the new sister-in-law...
Would you go up to P.Madeleine if you met her in real life and shove these pics in her face? I think most of these people wouldn't do that, but it's very easy to do so on the internet, most of the time not even using their real name
Old 06-30-2014, 03:00 PM
Super Moderator

Having read many of the comments on here, I do think it best we all just get it out of our systems and look forward to the wedding. Prince Carl Philip deems Sofia a suitable bride and one ought to respect his judgements whether we like it or not.
The fact that Sofia has been in a long-term relationship with the prince during which time she seems to have conducted herself very well and put dubious TV shows and magazine shoots etc behind her is enough to try and start with a clean slate.
The poor girl has to live with her past the rest of her life, so those of us with spotless pasts and nun-like existences ought to show sympathy and kindness.
I'm not enthralled with the idea that photographs etc are in existence showing more than is suitable of this young lady, but I doubt she is 100% happy with things she has done.
What is done is done, he/she who is without sin cast the first stone, glass houses, judge ye not etc etc.
Old 06-30-2014, 03:23 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
It's not about looking at things through "rose-coloured glasses" it's about having some common decency and respect to not post senseless comments and nude pictures on Madeleine's Facebook page. Those who are doing such things aren't making a point on what kind of woman Sofia is (whom Madeleine know much better than others) but they're making themselves look bad and will cause Madeleine, other posters and viewers of her Facebook page to look down on them with disgust.

Posting horrible comments and nude pictures on someone's Facebook page is totally crossing the line and they should stop.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 06-30-2014, 03:27 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
It's not about looking at things through "rose-coloured glasses" it's about having some common decency and respect to not post senseless comments and nude pictures on Madeleine's Facebook page. Those who are doing such things aren't making a point on what kind of woman Sofia is (whom Madeleine know much better than others) but they're making themselves look bad and will cause Madeleine, other posters and viewers of her Facebook page to look down on them with disgust.

Posting horrible comments and nude pictures on someone's Facebook page is totally crossing the line and they should stop.
Had Prince Carl Philip chosen a partner without all that past, there was no any ammunition at hand to post nasty comments on social media. This is 2014, apart from the discussion about the alleged (un)suitability of this partner for the dignity and standing of a Royal House, no one can have been surprised that all this would happen. It would have been hopelessly na´ve to think that Ms Hellqvist past would be left alone by the public with access to social media.
Old 06-30-2014, 03:28 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
But it is good that they post them, if it makes some people with rose-coloured glasses to understand, what kind of a woman Sofia is. [...]
Well, but if we talk about class and taste: imo posting links to nude pictures on the facebook page of Princess Madeleine - sister of the groom- is rather tasteless and not quite tastefull.

Old 06-30-2014, 03:29 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
It has nothing to do with adjustments to anything. Engagements simply last a longer time than is the use in the anglosaxon world, while not so long ago around a year was a standard engagement length over there.

Prince Carl Philip will wait a year before marrying, Princess Victoria waited one year and 4 months, Princess Madeleine waited 9 months during her second engagement, her first engagement led to a break-up as we know.
In the wait and preparation for the wedding, Sofia will have some extra time to adjust to her new life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Her_Majesty View Post
Well, but if we talk about class and taste: imo posting links to nude pictures on the facebook page of Princess Madeleine - sister of the groom- is rather tasteless and not quite tastefull.
Right, it's very classless, inappropriate and just down right horrid to post stuff like that on Madeleine's Facebook page. It's about making themselves feel better than anything.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Closed Thread

Tags
prince carl philip