The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden > Prince Carl Philip and Princess Sofia

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-13-2015, 08:23 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Discussion about Princess Sofia's Past & Future Role in the Royal Family

Discussion about Sofia Hellqvist's Past & Future Role in the Royal Family

This thread has been created to discuss Princess Sofia's past, her suitability to be a member of the Swedish Royal Family, and her role within the SRF. Before we begin, however, the moderators would like to set out some ground rules for the discussion, as it is no doubt going to continue the controversy that follows Sofia:

• This is a discussion board, and as such, a variety of opinions - particularly on this topic - are to be expected. The moderators will not be removing posts containing negative opinions unless they violate the board rules, no matter how much we are begged to do so
  • It is imperative that members remain respectful to each other, and do not stoop to personal attacks - on the subject matter or each other - to get their point across
  • Repetitive negative posting by individual posters will be removed at moderator discretion. If your intent is to simply repeat the same opinion over and over without participating in a discussion, this thread is not the place to do so
  • Comparisons to other royals will be removed, as they do nothing to discuss the topic and end in battles

Any questions should be directed to a Swedish Royal House moderator

Old 07-08-2015, 02:24 AM
Imperial Majesty

One of the first press articles about Sofia, from Dalarnas Tidning Dt, 6th June 2003.
Dancing into the future
- We are neighbors and have been childhood friends since kindergarten, explained Louice.
She hopes to become a professional dancer eventually, but now the closest it becomes summer job as a nursing assistant at Söderåsen.
- These years in Vansbro have been great, but it's nice to go out now, Sofia Hellqvist from Älvdalen thinks. Sofia, who studied at the aesthetic line was joined by boyfriend Dennis Damm, fishing guide in Älvdalen.
- I move to Stockholm to work at the restaurant. Sofia who tends to be a model, and participate in commercials hopes eventually get work with anything in song, music and theater.
Dansar mot framtiden

Old 07-15-2015, 01:24 AM
Nobility

How is Sofia's standing in the SRF?

Hi. I'm new to the Forum. Read around a bit and I wanted to join.

Full disclosure - not a fan of the new princess of Sweden, Sofia. Her past is an issue for me, mainly her involvement with Project Playground. I've seen allegations of shadiness that went down on this organization. No formal investigations, but if there's proof it can be embarrassing for the SRF. Some of the posters I've read said since the king and the Riksdag (Swedish Parliament) signed off that should be it. Fair enough. But I do question, if Sofia's been accepted:

Why doesn't she have the Order of the Seraphim yet? It is the highest honor issued by the king, and it wasn't announced she has received it. When pressed, the court information officer (CIO) said she would get it, they don't know when. I don't understand because Daniel received his order sash on his wedding day. Chris didn't get the Seraphim, but he received the Order of the Polar Star two days before his wedding. Estelle and Leonore received the order sash on their christening days, breaking the custom that a knight (male) or a member (female) has to be at least 18 yrs. old to be inducted.

Why doesn't Sofia have a coat of arms yet? - Every member of the SRF (except Chris) has one, even Estelle and Leonore. I imagine the new prince Nicolas will get his coat of arms by his christening. But Sofia, who has royal and ducal titles, doesn't have one. What gives? It makes one wonder because there is no concrete reason not to announce now now that she's married.
Old 07-15-2015, 01:55 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Verseau View Post
Hi. I'm new to the Forum. Read around a bit and I wanted to join.

Full disclosure - not a fan of the new princess of Sweden, Sofia. Her past is an issue for me, mainly her involvement with Project Playground. I've seen allegations of shadiness that went down on this organization. No formal investigations, but if there's proof it can be embarrassing for the SRF. Some of the posters I've read said since the king and the Riksdag (Swedish Parliament) signed off that should be it. Fair enough. But I do question, if Sofia's been accepted:

Why doesn't she have the Order of the Seraphim yet? It is the highest honor issued by the king, and it wasn't announced she has received it. When pressed, the court information officer (CIO) said she would get it, they don't know when. I don't understand because Daniel received his order sash on his wedding day. Chris didn't get the Seraphim, but he received the Order of the Polar Star two days before his wedding. Estelle and Leonore received the order sash on their christening days, breaking the custom that a knight (male) or a member (female) has to be at least 18 yrs. old to be inducted.

Why doesn't Sofia have a coat of arms yet? - Every member of the SRF (except Chris) has one, even Estelle and Leonore. I imagine the new prince Nicolas will get his coat of arms by his christening. But Sofia, who has royal and ducal titles, doesn't have one. What gives? It makes one wonder because there is no concrete reason not to announce now now that she's married.

Sofia didn't get an order on her wedding day because it's against tradition to wear a sash together with a wedding dress.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 07-15-2015, 02:06 AM
Nobility

@JR76 - hi & thanks. That explains the wedding day, but what delays the announcement now? Also, on the official royal Facebook page, Sofia has her monogram, but her picture has no sash or Bernadotte diadem on her head.
Old 07-15-2015, 03:16 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Why doesn't she have the Order of the Seraphim yet? It is the highest honor issued by the king, and it wasn't announced she has received it.

Why doesn't Sofia have a coat of arms yet? - Every member of the SRF (except Chris) has one, even Estelle and Leonore. I imagine the new prince Nicolas will get his coat of arms by his christening. But Sofia, who has royal and ducal titles, doesn't have one. What gives?
As for the Order of the Seraphim, you can compare her situation with that of princess Lilian, who married prince Bertil in 1976, but didn't get the Order of the Seraphim until 1985. Perhaps Sofia doesn't have to wait nine years for her order, but it's not certain she will get it this year. Lilian got the Nordstjärneorder after her marriage, and my guess is that Sofia also will get it soon.

As for her coat of arms, she will have to decide what the centre piece of her coat of arms will be, prince Daniel have the coat of arms of his home town in the middle of his coat of arms, princess Lilian had three fleur de lis (for Wales) in her coat of arms, to differentiate their coat of arms from their spouses. Sofia's coat of arms will be her husband's with a centre piece of her choosing.

As for the photo without a tiara, it was taken before her wedding, and it seems that the SRF don't loan their tiaras until a woman is married into the family. Lilian wore a tiara before her marriage, but that tiara was owned by her husband, not a SRF tiara.
Old 07-15-2015, 03:38 AM
Heir Presumptive

Did Chris get the order of the Seraphim on the occasion of his wedding? If he did I doubt that Sofia will be made to wait a long time for hers.
Old 07-15-2015, 03:41 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meraude View Post
As for the Order of the Seraphim, you can compare her situation with that of princess Lilian, who married prince Bertil in 1976, but didn't get the Order of the Seraphim until 1985. Perhaps Sofia doesn't have to wait nine years for her order, but it's not certain she will get it this year. Lilian got the Nordstjärneorder after her marriage, and my guess is that Sofia also will get it soon.
But Lilian did get the Order of the Plar Star at the time of her marriage. Even before wwhen she was still a btitish citizen as according to the law at that time no swedish cititzens could get swedish Orders. And she got the Order of the Seraphim in 1995 when the law was changed so that memers of the swdish RF could get swedish Orders.
Old 07-15-2015, 08:30 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meraude View Post

As for the photo without a tiara, it was taken before her wedding, and it seems that the SRF don't loan their tiaras until a woman is married into the family. Lilian wore a tiara before her marriage, but that tiara was owned by her husband, not a SRF tiara.
Silvia wore the Cameo Tiara for her wedding to Carl Gustaf (CG). The Cameo is part of the Bernadotte collection. @crm2137 - Chris didn't get the Seraphim on his wedding to Madeleine (Madde) and he doesn't have it now. My concern is the Swedish gossip press likes to cook up feuds between members of the SRF. In the run up to the wedding the press likes to run Madde vs. Sofia, how the blood princess is being mean to the married in with a not-so-clean past. Even with Sofia's hen party the press went on about Madde not being there, knowing full well she was on an official visit in Rome meeting the Pope. Daniel was dragged for not being at Carl Philip's (C-P) bachelor party and he was with Victoria on a weekend visit with Haakon & Mette-Marit (MM) of Norway at the time. (And the bachelor party had entertainment that would have gotten both Daniel and Chris in hot water with their wives and the press.) I'm saying if the lack of award goes too long the media will sell a narrative that Sofia is still being slighted but within the family. CG should not be pressured into giving it to her to avoid bad press, but it may come to that.
Old 07-15-2015, 08:20 PM
Nobility

I have been reading about Victoria Day but the coverage leans quite towards Sofia's appearance at the event as a princess of Sweden. As in, Sofia's appearance is in the headline. I was a bit put off by that because it's Victoria's day, and some comments on one particular website, SvenskDam, thought it was too much. A couple of commentors have come to Sofia's defense. But it makes you think that all the money and effort spent to rehabilitate Sofia's image was for naught. She's still going to be a polarizing figure on blogs and comment boards after the wedding. It raises the question how will Sofia be an effective representative of Sweden.
Old 07-15-2015, 09:08 PM
Courtier

Sofia will never get rid of her past. No matter how much the SRF will try to make it go away. It will always be there and it surely will always be brought up. What's done is done. It was funny I was just looking at Sofia's biography on the SRF's website today and there was nothing about her time as a model. It covered her schooling, her time as a yoga instructor then on to her Project Playground work. It seems as though the royal family wants to wipe away her past to make her look more respectable. I'm afraid as much good as Sofia will do in the future, she will never fully get rid of her racy past.
Old 07-15-2015, 09:33 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHAmy View Post
Sofia will never get rid of her past. No matter how much the SRF will try to make it go away. It will always be there and it surely will always be brought up. What's done is done. It was funny I was just looking at Sofia's biography on the SRF's website today and there was nothing about her time as a model. It covered her schooling, her time as a yoga instructor then on to her Project Playground work. It seems as though the royal family wants to wipe away her past to make her look more respectable. I'm afraid as much good as Sofia will do in the future, she will never fully get rid of her racy past.

There's no need to mention Sofia's past as a model. What matters now is her role as Carl Philip's wife and as a member of the royal family.
People can go on and on about Sofia's past all they want, but the girl has moved on to bigger and better things.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 07-15-2015, 09:58 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
There's no need to mention Sofia's past as a model. What matters now is her role as Carl Philip's wife and as a member of the royal family.

People can go on and on about Sofia's past all they want, but the girl has moved on to bigger and better things.

The way that the SRF's website fails to mention Sofia's past career (not to mention the way they don't really say anything concrete about her pre-Project Playground achievements, including the use of dates) is the SRF trying to white wash her history.

Her page on the SRF's website tells of her background and personal history. Her modelling career is a part of that, like it or not.
Old 07-15-2015, 10:03 PM
Courtier

Quote:
I have been reading about Victoria Day but the coverage leans quite towards Sofia's appearance at the event as a princess of Sweden. As in, Sofia's appearance is in the headline. I was a bit put off by that because it's Victoria's day, and some comments on one particular website, SvenskDam, thought it was too much. A couple of commentors have come to Sofia's defense. But it makes you think that all the money and effort spent to rehabilitate Sofia's image was for naught. She's still going to be a polarizing figure on blogs and comment boards after the wedding. It raises the question how will Sofia be an effective representative of Sweden.
Victorias birthday was Sofias first appearance as a princess, and full member of the swedish royal family, so of course it's a big thing. But it's not Sofia who decides what the headlines say. I don't think she did something during the concert that gives us any sign of her trying to steal the spotlight away from Victoria.
Old 07-15-2015, 10:03 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
The way that the SRF's website fails to mention Sofia's past career (not to mention the way they don't really say anything concrete about her pre-Project Playground achievements, including the use of dates) is the SRF trying to white wash her history.

Her page on the SRF's website tells of her background and personal history. Her modelling career is a part of that, like it or not.
They could put model as her past career, but I really don't see the need to do so. Many royals don't have their past careers listed under their bio's.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 07-15-2015, 10:38 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think in ten years, the number of people who care about Sofia's past will be infinitesimal.
Old 07-15-2015, 10:50 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
I think in ten years, the number of people who care about Sofia's past will be infinitesimal.

Sadly I don't think so people love going back over the past again and again. Just take a look at any of the Diana threads were the same things are just repeated time after time. I think her past will always be talked about even if she never puts a foot wrong

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 07-15-2015, 11:33 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rob View Post
Sadly I don't think so people love going back over the past again and again. Just take a look at any of the Diana threads were the same things are just repeated time after time. I think her past will always be talked about even if she never puts a foot wrong

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
The past for Diana is obsessed over because sadly, the past is all that exists for her.

It's not obsessed over for any other royal in the same way. If Princess Sofia has a happy, successful marriage which I very much hope she does, I'm pretty confident that no one's going to care about some modeling she did in her early twenties after she's been in public life for awhile and had a few children.
Old 07-15-2015, 11:47 PM
Nobility

It's not just commentors on boards and blogs that are going over her past. Writers of articles for news and gossip blogs are bringing it up. Sofia has been described in print and/or electronic media recently as "reality show star", "topless model" "erotic model" "glamour model", "bikini model", "ex-stripper", etc. Project Playground is never mentioned most of the time. There are certain members of the press will never let her live it down.
Old 07-16-2015, 12:52 AM
Imperial Majesty

People just need to let the past go and look forward to today and what's to come.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS