Discussion about Princess Sofia's Past & Future Role in the Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
@Queen Claude I recall reading that Princess Sofia when asked about her past in a pre-wedding interview said she was not ashamed of the things she had done because your past experiences are what build your character but given the option now she would probably make a different choice.
NOW before everyone goes into attack mode I am writing the above in my own words and not quoting the Princess directly.
The pre wedding interview is on you tube and was,done by STV I think.
Perhaps one of our Swedish contributors could tells us what the exact words were. I have tried to find the interview in English but no luck.

It is not unusual that a Princess misses a State Banquet. Madeleine has missed out on many, and even the Crown Princess does not attend at all State Visits. Imo there is no reason to read so much into Sofia's absence.

Especially given she's pregnant. Who knows how she was feeling that day. :sad: Things happen.

The official story from the CIO was Sofia missed the banquet for a PP anniversary. Illness was never cited and would be have been understood.

The official story from the CIO was Sofia missed the banquet for a PP anniversary. Illness was never cited and would be have been understood.

I must have missed this, who exactly doesn't "understand" the actual reason why she could attend the state banquet?

The news stories are implying Sofia is bringing nothing new to the table, so they'll bring up her past. I think these stories were triggered by Sofia being a no show at the Tunisian state visit. The palace put out an explanation...but still Sofia is starting to get bad press, and that includes her past coming back to haunt her.

That's not true and I think you know that ;) There are constantly stories in the tabloids about e.g. Mary and Frederik or William and Catherine – are they not "bringing anything new to the table" either? :) Quite on the contrary, I think it's safe to establish by now that Sofia is very well-liked, passionate about her work and even more so, good at her work.

It's honestly hilarious to me that people are so adamant to see Sofia fail that when she then turns out to be popular and good at her job, they go to such great lengths to bring her down. I mean... wow.

Those who don't liker her will never give her a chance the blinders will never come off.

https://www.whimn.com.au/talk/news/...d/news-story/09fac5fa4d326331566e0fdee70a9038

A pretty silly article by Whimn, an Australian gossip site. In English.

It basically says that there may some controversy with Meghan, but we've someone who is more controversial, yippee!

I had considerable reservations about Sofia before she married Carl Phillip. However I'm happy to admit that she to my knowledge hasn't put a foot wrong, and apart from childish articles like this, her past really hasn't been that big an issue. (It helps that she's a secondary royal of course.)

She is comparable to Meghan in her position (well, not yet, Meghan will have to wait a little longer before being the wife of the monarch's second child).

The main thing I think she/they should have handled differently is the promotion of Project Playground as a royal endeavour while it was a private endeavour probably partly set up to change her image. Having a family member (her sister) work for such an organization that is sponsored/promoted by the royal family isn't the best move either. So, it's good that that is no longer the case.

https://www.whimn.com.au/talk/news/...d/news-story/09fac5fa4d326331566e0fdee70a9038

A pretty silly article by Whimn, an Australian gossip site. In English.

It basically says that there may some controversy with Meghan, but we've someone who is more controversial, yippee!

I had considerable reservations about Sofia before she married Carl Phillip. However I'm happy to admit that she to my knowledge hasn't put a foot wrong, and apart from childish articles like this, her past really hasn't been that big an issue. (It helps that she's a secondary royal of course.)

It's all been remarkably discreet. Hardly know she's around. I will say marriage and motherhood agree with her. (Such handsome children!) She has bloomed. :flowers: It helps that there is clear support from within the royal family, like from Madeleine. All looks solid.

To some extent we can compare Sofia and Meghan. But her past has not been such a big problem (of course Carl Philip not being the first in the line of succession to the throne also helps).
But basically they just showed the photos she made for a magazine and talked about her having participated in the "Paradise Hotel".
Apparently the closest family to Sofia (father, mother and sisters) has been discreet and have never spoken publicly of her.

Meanwhile, Meghan has had a more difficult start. Her family does not leave her in peace and they have already spoken very ill of her.

But I like the way Sofia never reneged on her past. She has been discreet and did a good job. And it seems to me that Sofia was supported by the royal family. Sofia and Carl Philip make a lovely couple and their children are beautiful.

Last edited:
Your comparison isn't fair at all.

You are comparing personal decisions vs family.

Sofia and Meghan's careers are not comparable. Sofia modeled nude and appeared in a very questionable reality show. Meghan, while yes she has had some scenes with nudity, is a serious actress.

Good or bad, Sofia CHOSE to model nude and appear on such shows. That she stands by her choices is good.

Meghan is stuck with her family. She has no control over her family, or any choice in them. No one does.

Comparing Sofia's questionable CHOICES to the family Meghan was BORN into is an unfair comparison at best

:previous: I totally agree.

For me the most significant difference is that Meghan's social consciousness and charity work began very early in her life-some say even in childhood.

NOT after she met and began dating a Royal prince.:cool:

Back
Top Bottom