The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden > Prince Carl Philip and Princess Sofia

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-11-2015, 02:00 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Verseau View Post
@Marty91Charmed - I'm with you. The jury is still out for me regarding Sofia. I have to see what she does. One decent speech is a start, but we have to see what she does for here on out. The gossip press, especially Expressen, likes to sell Sofia as Sweden's answer to the Duchess of Cambridge. Same hair, dressing, you name it. Some of the press writing that Sofia is (or should be) the star of the SRF. The difference - Kate will one day be queen of England; Sofia will never become queen of Sweden because Victoria's pregnancy pushed Carl Philip further away from the throne. The question is how can Sofia handle her status as not being equal to Silvia and Victoria ( and that 3 year old Estelle and Baby Bernadotte Westling on the way have pre-eminence over her) and not buy into the hype the press puts out - hype that can impact performance.
erm, shouldn't that have been Baby Westling Bernadotte?

The drivel spouted by journalists comparing Sofia's general style to that of the Duchess of Cambridge, it is just that, drivel. Sofia's taste in clothing is nothing like that of Catherine although I will allow that they have worn the same colour on occasion. But Sofia is a very curvacious woman and chooses clothing for her shape which is rarely the same as Catherine's model figure dictates. As for the sausage curl hairstyle Sofia has been playing with, I can only hope the limitations of said hairstyle become rapidly apparent and she changes up.

As to the nonsense about how Sofia will cope with the realisation that her status is not equal to that of Queen Silvia and the Crown Princess family? I think she was lucky enough to fall in love with a lovely man and she knew exactly who and what he is before she married him.

Old 09-11-2015, 06:39 AM
Nobility

I have never seen any resemblance between Princess Sofia and the Dutchess of Cambridge. The Swedish princess is her own person and it doesn't appear that she has a need to copy anyone's style or lifestyle. ( I am not suggesting that the DOC is any less). I like Sofia's hair and some people don't. That is a matter of individual taste.
The media does like to paint their own picture to sell papers.

Old 09-11-2015, 07:04 AM
Imperial Majesty

Sofia and her friend Carolina Pihl started yoga clothing line Drop of Mindfulness in 2010.
The clothes got into headlines a couple of weeks ago when gossip magazine Hänt i Veckan found radio personality Titti Schultz' Instagram, where she compares Drop of Mindfulness jacket and Nike jacket and hints that Drop of Mindfulness has copied Nike. Schultz writes at her Instagram: "Prince Carl Philip has sometimes been accused of letting himself being "inspired" by other people's design when he showed his stuff. Now his wife, Princess Sofia showed up workout clothes she designed. Nike to the left and to the right HRH's design".
Now the german press has taken the story:
Sofia von Schweden_ Plagiatsvorwurf gegen die Prinzessin _ GALA.DE

Hänt i Veckan tells at their website that the Drop of Mindfulness jacket was launched with their collection in October 2014.
Prinsessan Sofia anklagas för stöld_ ”Det är för jävligt” _ Hänt.se

The Nike jacket is from collection 2013.
NIKE TECH FLEECE: NIKE INSTALLS ITS FLEECE LINE | Mail Movement

Sofia's friend William Värnild told in Svensk Damtidning last November, that Sofia and Carolina Pihl are still involved in Drop of Mindfulness yoga clothes. They are co-working with the designer, both are involved with the progress of the brand and contribute with inspiration. William Värnild takes care of Drop of Mindfulness' PR at Polhem PR.
And Sofia is still at the Drop of Mindfulness Brandbook at their website
http://www.dropofmindfulness.com/DOM_brandbook.pdf

Sofia or the court hasn't commented the accusations of copying. And the court hasn't told that Sofia has stopped working with Drop of Mindfulness.
Old 09-11-2015, 08:04 AM
Nobility

@Lady Finn - I thought when one marries into the SRF one gives up personal business ventures. Daniel had to give up his gyms when he married Victoria. And the palace PR has been Sofia only gave up her position with Project Playground

I read the article and looked at the pictures. The outfits are similar expect Nike's has its logo.

Big companies like Nike are protective of their brand and products. If Nike decides to sue it's a PR nightmare for the SRF. The Nike lawyers are probably weighing options; I'm guessing Sofia and the court are not commenting under the advice of the royal lawyers. Sofia's friend needs to be canned as a PR rep, because if Nike does sue he gave the Nike lawyers a lot of ammunition regarding Sofia's involvement in the company. And Sofia needs to divest for that company.
Old 09-11-2015, 08:12 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
@Lady Finn - I thought when one marries into the SRF one gives up personal business ventures. Daniel had to give up his gyms when he married Victoria. And the palace PR has been Sofia only gave up her position with Project Playground
Daniel didn't give up his shares, he retired as the ceo and member of the board of his gyms. When last year there was a mess of Madeleine at Chris's companies, the royal court gave a press release:
Members of the Royal Family may be the owner or co-owner of the commercial company. Nor are there any constitutional obstacles for the Royal Family to own shares or parts in companies.
The royal family, however, is restrictive with regard to engage in commercial activities.
The Royal Court's policy regarding company matters, it is particularly that the royal family should not:
- Be members of commercial companies boards
- Be president or vice president
- Be full-time employees
Policy kring Kungafamiljens ägande av bolag - Sveriges Kungahus
Translation

Sofia gave up her fulltime job as the Secretary General of PP and is now the Honorary Chairperson. She can continue her cooperation with Drop of Mindfulness, if she isn't fulltime employee, member of the board or president or vice president. I have understood that Sofia has never been a full-time employee at Drop of Mindfulness.
Old 09-11-2015, 08:25 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Besides, CP has his own business ventures. Why shouldn't his wife?
The two jackets share various similarities, but not near similar enough to sue them for plagiarism.

Old 09-11-2015, 01:27 PM
Nobility

I like the Drop of Mindfulness jacket better design-wise, but I like the material better on the Nike jacket - looks better quality and cozier. The Nike looks more suitable for wearing when not working out, and the Drop of Mindfulness looks like someone can actually work out in it, or put on their sweaty body after working out.

While there are similarities like the gray with black accents and asymmetry, this is not plagiarized, inspired perhaps but not plagiarized. I don't think anyone should be worried about a lawsuit. I actually think that if this story gets wider attention the true result will be increased exposure for Sofia's company's brand.

Drop of Mindfulness' marketing materials even state even that they are inspired by New York, so that in and of itself would explain similarities to existing designs/brands.

I wish there were pictures of the originals that Carl Philip allegedly plagiarized in order for me to determine with my own eyes if plagiarism took place. One of the accusations is that he plagiarized cutlery used by an airline over 40 years ago. If he copied it point by point without attribution, I would have a problem with that, but overall, getting design inspiration from a previous era is fair game.

Lady Finn thank for posting the "plagiarism" articles and the rules about Swedish royals outside business interests. The rules make sense to me. My understanding is that people who married into the Swedish Royal Family signed pre-nups and they aren't particularly generous, so I can see why the royals by marriage are allowed to have outside businesses that they can fall back on if the unthinkable happens, i.e. a divorce. Of course these businesses may get scrutinized and come under fire but the other alternative is for the Swedish Royal Family to commit to taking care of these people to a certain standard for the rest of their lives.

It also makes sense for blood royals like Carl Philip and Madeleine to develop outside interests for themselves in the event that in their later years they are displaced by Victoria's children when it comes to being called upon to participate in certain engagements.
Old 09-11-2015, 03:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
Sofia and her friend Carolina Pihl started yoga clothing line Drop of Mindfulness in 2010.
The clothes got into headlines a couple of weeks ago when gossip magazine Hänt i Veckan found radio personality Titti Schultz' Instagram, where she compares Drop of Mindfulness jacket and Nike jacket and hints that Drop of Mindfulness has copied Nike. Schultz writes at her Instagram: "Prince Carl Philip has sometimes been accused of letting himself being "inspired" by other people's design when he showed his stuff. Now his wife, Princess Sofia showed up workout clothes she designed. Nike to the left and to the right HRH's design".
Now the german press has taken the story:
Sofia von Schweden_ Plagiatsvorwurf gegen die Prinzessin _ GALA.DE

Hänt i Veckan tells at their website that the Drop of Mindfulness jacket was launched with their collection in October 2014.
Prinsessan Sofia anklagas för stöld_ ”Det är för jävligt” _ Hänt.se

The Nike jacket is from collection 2013.
NIKE TECH FLEECE: NIKE INSTALLS ITS FLEECE LINE | Mail Movement

Sofia's friend William Värnild told in Svensk Damtidning last November, that Sofia and Carolina Pihl are still involved in Drop of Mindfulness yoga clothes. They are co-working with the designer, both are involved with the progress of the brand and contribute with inspiration. William Värnild takes care of Drop of Mindfulness' PR at Polhem PR.
And Sofia is still at the Drop of Mindfulness Brandbook at their website
http://www.dropofmindfulness.com/DOM_brandbook.pdf

Sofia or the court hasn't commented the accusations of copying. And the court hasn't told that Sofia has stopped working with Drop of Mindfulness.
I have a jacket very similar to those and it is by neither Nike nor Drop of Mindfulness. And I have had it from before Nike's came out. So who is copying whom?
Old 09-11-2015, 09:30 PM
Nobility

@Lady Finn - ok, if this is above board, why do the court and Sofia circle the wagons and go "no comment"? Anytime the press questions anything attributed to a royal the court information officer would put out a statement to correct the record. Remaining silent gives the wrong impression. The CIO needs to get in front of this and just make the statement everything is legitimate and keep it moving.
Old 09-11-2015, 11:39 PM
Nobility

Neither Sofia nor the court information officer have circled the wagons nor explicitly said "no comment," none of these publications have reached out to the court. I disagree that the palace needs to get in front of this, it's just going to bring attention to something that has thus far only been covered by a few regional gossip publications, note that the Instagram post that sparked this has 564 likes and 47 comments, hardly a groundswell. If it picks up steam and a major media outlet actually contacts the court it can be addressed then, and I wouldn't be surprised if the Drop of Mindfulness people wouldn't secretly be pleased with the exposure.
Old 09-12-2015, 01:04 AM
Imperial Majesty

The story is also at the austrian press, and it is rather unfortunate that the articles remind about Carl Philip copying other designer's stuff and that this is a "family problem".
Plagiatsvorwurf gegen Prinzessin Sofia _ Seitenblicke Magazin, das österreichische Unterhaltungsmagazin

More at german press
Sofia Hellqvist_ Alles nur geklaut_ Prinzessin kämpft mit Plagiatsvorwürfen
Sofia von Schweden_ Fieser Plagiatsvorwurf gegen die Neu-Prinzessin _ BUNTE.de

And although this mess would be good for Drop of Mindfulness' business, it isn't good for the royal family that the cover of Hänt i Veckan says
"Princess Sofia is accused of theft"
https://instagram.com/p/7IKx2zGoyw/?...=hant_i_veckan

Just when Carl Philip has got some success with Oscar Kylberg, this reminds people about the scandal with his designs a couple of years ago.
Old 09-12-2015, 05:14 AM
Nobility

@Lady Finn - I don't think it would be good for business if Nike sues Drop of Mindfulness for copyright infringement. For one, is DoM financially solvent enough to withstand a lawsuit from a major company? Secondly, there will be major news coverage the moment Nike files the suit. Would the officers and owners of DoM like to be branded as "thieves" and "crooks" in the press? Would they like the company be tagged as a cheap knock off mill? Negative portrayals in the media can hurt business too. DoM could turn a buck by offering a cheap copy, but if there are excessive fines for the infringement (if true), cease and desist orders and DoM answering the charge or appealing it can get expensive for DoM. We don't know the value of DoM, but Nike has the deep pockets and can afford a long court fight. Can Drop of Mindfulness? The officers of DoM have to take that into account. I remember the Carl Philip scandal; he went on TV to do damage control.
Old 09-16-2015, 07:33 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
Because the answer to the question is that no one knows how it would work, because that's not what the Swedish Royal Family decided to do. There's no precedent for it, so it would be pointless speculation to try and figure out how things would work in an alternative reality.

Ok, so you're telling me because Chris O'Neil did it when he married M we cannot come to a theoretical conclusion for Sofia? That seems a bit odd to me. I understand very well that Sofia didn't choose that route BUT (theoretically speaking here) if she wanted to marry CP but didn't want to be a princess (like Chris O'Neil did but in his case Prince) then could she do that? That's all my question was. I was curious if it's the same for males and females marrying into the SRF. But I understand if using one's imagination is not an option here.
Old 09-16-2015, 07:41 PM
Courtier

Discussion about Princess Sofia's Past & Future Role in the Royal Family

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHAmy View Post
Ok, so you're telling me because Chris O'Neil did it when he married M we cannot come to a theoretical conclusion for Sofia? That seems a bit odd to me. I understand very well that Sofia didn't choose that route BUT (theoretically speaking here) if she wanted to marry CP but didn't want to be a princess (like Chris O'Neil did but in his case Prince) then could she do that? That's all my question was. I was curious if it's the same for males and females marrying into the SRF. But I understand if using one's imagination is not an option here.

I guess she theoretically could choose to go on being Ms Sofia Hellqvist if she wanted too. In Sweden a woman doesn't automatically assume her spouses surname upon marriage (in fact often the man takes her surname) if she doesn't want too and even if he had a title and rank that she'd traditionally be entitled too she could choose not to be styled accordingly.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 09-16-2015, 08:49 PM
Majesty

Precisely! But, "theoretically" she would have made her preference known well in advance of the marriage, perhaps with the announcement of her Engagement and, having done so, would not carry the title "HRH Princess Sofia, Duchess of Värmland, Princess of Sweden", and would simply be known as Sofia Hellquist or Sofia Bernadotte per her request. And, like Chris, would probably just have an order of some kind.
Old 09-16-2015, 09:04 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
I have a question...what if Sofia decided not to take the title of Princess and stay a private citizen as Chris O'Neill did when marrying Princess M? Is that even possible? Would she still go on official trips with CP? I'm wondering how that would work if the situation was reversed...
In theory - Yes. It would be a choice she could have made and Carl Philip (as her husband to be) and the King would have to agree. Unless she had a career (perhaps military) that would make it possible to work while also being the spouse to a royal, declining the title makes no sense. She married not only Prince Carl Philip but also the royal family and the traditions and work to be carried out. A spouse without a title certainly can accompany their royal spouse on royal engagements but would not carry out any of their own. The exception with Chris O'Neill and him not having a royal title probably has more to do with his career. Being an investment banker it would put him in constant conflict of interest. Imagine finding a large investor to a German company while there are Swedish companies in the same industry looking for investors. Being an investment banker is also a full time job . Not something one can do part time if maximizing income is a goal.
Old 09-18-2015, 05:52 PM
Courtier

Thank you everyone, that answers my question 😊 I know a lot of women would take the title and the job now a days but it struck me that a lot of women are very modern today too and although they are marrying the guy of their dreams (albeit a prince) they might not necessarily want to become a princess. It also made me wonder too since Chris O'Neil denied the title, that if it were switched, as in a female, if she could do that also. But thank you for answering my question! I appreciate it. 💕
Old 09-18-2015, 10:55 PM
Nobility

Quote:
@Lady Finn - I don't think it would be good for business if Nike sues Drop of Mindfulness for copyright infringement. For one, is DoM financially solvent enough to withstand a lawsuit from a major company? Secondly, there will be major news coverage the moment Nike files the suit. Would the officers and owners of DoM like to be branded as "thieves" and "crooks" in the press? Would they like the company be tagged as a cheap knock off mill? Negative portrayals in the media can hurt business too. DoM could turn a buck by offering a cheap copy, but if there are excessive fines for the infringement (if true), cease and desist orders and DoM answering the charge or appealing it can get expensive for DoM. We don't know the value of DoM, but Nike has the deep pockets and can afford a long court fight. Can Drop of Mindfulness? The officers of DoM have to take that into account. I remember the Carl Philip scandal; he went on TV to do damage control.
Drop of Mindfulness does not need to worry about being sued by Nike. Fashion design is not copyrighted, things like logos, textile patterns or formulas may get trademarked or patented, but not designs. The internet is littered with sites where people post design similarities between different brands. Some even argue that the way that fashion trends start is via brands appropriating from one another.

Carl Philip had multiple accusations against him, although bear in mind all it takes for there to be a story is for someone to make an accusation and a media outlet willing to run with the story, and I'm not 100% sure but I think Carl Philip only directly addressed the incident where another designer said that he designed a product that was marketed as designed by Prince Carl Philip.
Old 09-19-2015, 12:53 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Thank you everyone, that answers my question 😊 I know a lot of women would take the title and the job now a days but it struck me that a lot of women are very modern today too and although they are marrying the guy of their dreams (albeit a prince) they might not necessarily want to become a princess. It also made me wonder too since Chris O'Neil denied the title, that if it were switched, as in a female, if she could do that also. But thank you for answering my question! I appreciate it. 💕
I assumed that Chris did not have a title (Prince) because he is not a citizen of Sweden. Could he actually have been granted a title?
Old 09-19-2015, 01:10 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess maggie View Post
I assumed that Chris did not have a title (Prince) because he is not a citizen of Sweden. Could he actually have been granted a title?
Mr Christopher O'Neill is and remains an American citizen, and he intends to continue his business activities as before following his marriage to H.R.H. Princess Madeleine. In accordance with royal protocol, a member of the Royal Family should be a Swedish citizen, and should not hold a position of responsibility within business.
This means that, in accordance with these principles, Mr Christopher O'Neill cannot hold the title H.R.H. Prince of Sweden or Duke of Gästrikland and Hälsingland.
In view of these requirements, Mr Christopher O'Neill has respectfully requested to remain a private citizen and not to be granted royal rank.
Mr Christopher O'Neill's title - Sveriges Kungahus