The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden > Prince Carl Philip and Princess Sofia

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-13-2015, 07:44 AM
Nobility

It's surprising that the other royals have to hire private security instead of having current Sapo around the clock. Apparently they are not considered "important" enough.

And a lot is riding on Sofia's performance as a royal, considering she is a polarizing figure. If she screws up while on duty it would be said Carl Philip made a poor choice of a bride and the king and the Riksdag made a mistake in approving the marriage. What Sofia will impact many.

Old 08-13-2015, 08:13 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Verseau View Post
And a lot is riding on Sofia's performance as a royal, considering she is a polarizing figure. If she screws up while on duty it would be said Carl Philip made a poor choice of a bride and the king and the Riksdag made a mistake in approving the marriage. What Sofia will impact many.
What makes you think that people/media would react like that when/if she makes a mistake? And what "impact " are you talking about?

I think I can safely say that the general population here in Sweden wouldn't judge her for one or two mistakes. She's not polarizing people in general here. Maybe abroad, but I don't know why that would matter.

I think that it's your own negative opinion of Sofia that is shining through in your posts. You have the right to your opinion, but don't try to glue that opinion to others.

Old 08-13-2015, 08:46 AM
Nobility

When I talked about protection a few posts back I meant Prince CP would make sure she had whatever training she required to undertake her duties but all of my fellow posters have raised valid points.
When they are on official duties like their upcoming visit to Varmland would they automatically have SAPO protection?
I am so looking forward to this visit. Would such a visit be covered live in
Sweden? Please post lots of pictures.
Old 08-13-2015, 09:04 AM
Nobility

This is changing the subject ? Just before the wedding an interview was done with Prince CP and then Sofia H and she was asked how she told her family she was dating a prince (at least that is what Google translate implied). The interview is 28 minutes. Was this interview translated into English anywhere.,I would love to read it. It was done by SVT.
Old 08-13-2015, 12:54 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
I agree with xenobia, there's absolutely no reason to believe the Swedes would react like that to any, presumably, small mistakes she'd make (and as a matter of fact, I'd be moderately offended if someone implied that about Danes). Now, if she, I don't know... kicked a kitten during a public engagement, that would be a whole other matter and I'd agree with you that CP's decision making skills would come into question, but I really don't think you should count on that happening

Old 08-14-2015, 12:20 AM
Commoner

IMO Sofia is not stupid and she would have been well aware that she was going to be watched by the media for how she performs as a member of the SRF. Living with Prince CP for over 4 years, she would have learnt many things just by being around him so closely. Especially after they became engaged. Over the last year she has attended a number of SRF functions and has not put a foot wrong. Yes she will make mistakes but then none of us are perfect so who are we to criticise. Her one advantage, which is usually seen as a negative, is her previous work before meeting Prince CP. At least she is used to the media spotlight (good and bad)and seems to be comfortable with it in her new role. I've seen comments about Prince CP being shy (no doubt because of his dyslexia) but I don't see that so much these days. IMO I think she has given Prince CP the practical support he needed to become a more confident person in public. They are obviously in love with each other and will no doubt work as a team bringing their own knowledge and strenghts to the situation. In the mean time we can only wait and watch. I hope for Prince CP's sake it all goes well.
Old 08-14-2015, 12:41 AM
Heir Presumptive

Dyslexia and shyness are not synonymous. Princess Sofia has been in royal training since she and Prince Carl Philip moved in together. I am not sure what a "mistake" would be but I am sure she will perform her duties splendidly. I agree with your comments that she and Carl Philip will be working as a team and they will be great together.
Old 08-14-2015, 01:04 AM
Commoner

Grevinnan, in relation to my comment on Prince CP's dyslexia and shyness. He and his father read from notes and he has indicated that it is reading that he has a problem with. This would have made him apprehensive with public speaking. It certainly would have done so for me. The fact that he did make a mistake a number of years ago would have compounded the problem. IMO this apprehension with public speaking may well be the reason he was seen as being shy. Hence my linking his dyslexia with his shyness. He appears to gain strenght from Sofia, which was evident in the church during their wedding. There were times when he was holding her hand and it appeared he was reassuring himself with her presence not the other way round. As you say I think they will be great together and in time all the nay sayers will be proved wrong about them.
Old 08-21-2015, 01:07 AM
Imperial Majesty

Expressen tells that the First Lady of the Court, Kirstine von Blixen-Finecke, 70, helps Sofia in her new role as her mentor. Blixen-Finecke is the Head of Queen Silvia's Household.
Nu börjar Sofias helt nya jobbliv _ Nyheter _ Expressen
Translation
Old 08-21-2015, 01:59 AM
Heir Apparent

Without i know Blixen-Finecke i think is excellent choice for Sofia.
Old 08-21-2015, 06:12 AM
Nobility

@Lady Finn - I read the Expressen article. This is what sticks out:

"...Her [Blixen-Fenicke's] job as a mentor is to draw up a program for the Princess, where she will study including art history, Sweden's fundamental laws, and social studies. Kirstine von Blixen-Finecke has been statsfru since 2003, which means that she is one of the queen's closest associates." I thought the press and the court put out that Sofia received this level of training before she married Carl Philip, making her ready for the job before she said "I do". She's getting on the job training now? Even with a previous mentor Sofia should have this level of training under her belt by now. The PR the royal court puts out regarding Sofia is all over the place. It's like the court is still trying to sell her.
Old 08-21-2015, 06:38 AM
Serene Highness

I would not see this as negative.

On sentence about the training is (according to Google translate) the following:
The training is about preparing Sofia for his new role and, according to Margareta Thorgren been going on for a while and will continue in the autumn.

As much as I can read through it, this has been started during her engagement and will continue. I think, as this will be a quite comprehensive training, it sinply will last longer.
I remember, that this was the same with Daniel.

So I think, this is an excellent choice, having Blixen-Finnecke at her side.
BYe Bine
Old 08-21-2015, 07:46 AM
Nobility

Ongoing training pretty much happens with all jobs whether you are working in a fast food restaurant or at a medical research facility. Undoubtedly other royals still get training, I'm pretty sure that the Crown Prince Couple still get a considerable amount of training, for example they are probably undergoing training in preparation for their upcoming trip to South America.
Old 08-21-2015, 08:52 AM
Nobility

So is this official from the Royal Court or speculation from Expression.
Old 08-21-2015, 02:36 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess maggie View Post
So is this official from the Royal Court or speculation from Expression.
It seems official because Margaret Thorgren, the court's press officer, and Kirstine von Blixen-Finecke are quoted in the article.
"It is an honorable mission to be a mentor to the Princess Sophia, says Kirstine von Blixen-Finecke."
Billed Bladet refers to Kirstine von Blixen-Fineckeas Sofia's "new lady in waiting."

http://www.billedbladet.dk/kongelige...aet-ny-hofdame

Translation
Old 08-21-2015, 05:27 PM
Imperial Majesty

Kirstine von Blixen-Finecke will continue as the First Lady of the Court and the Head of the Queen's Household. She is Sofia's mentor just like brigadier general Jan-Eric Warren was Daniel's. Blixen-Finecke isn't Sofia's lady-in-waiting. Victoria and Madeleine haven't had ladies-in-waitings, so it seems unlikely that Sofia will have one.
Old 08-21-2015, 05:37 PM
Courtier

Only time will tell how Princess Sofia does but I hope she does Sweden proud.
Old 08-21-2015, 09:10 PM
Nobility

@Lady Finn - I didn't understand the "lady in waiting" title for Blixen-Finecke. Expressen wrote it as if she is Sofia's LIW. I didn't think Madeleine had a LIW either. Victoria has aides-de-camp, female officers. Only Silvia has LIWs (I don't know the count).
Old 08-22-2015, 01:17 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
@Lady Finn - I didn't understand the "lady in waiting" title for Blixen-Finecke. Expressen wrote it as if she is Sofia's LIW. I didn't think Madeleine had a LIW either. Victoria has aides-de-camp, female officers. Only Silvia has LIWs (I don't know the count).
Expressen doesn't write about Blixen-Finecke as Sofia's lady-in-waiting. They don't use the word "hovdam". They use the word "mentor" and write: "Her job as a mentor is to make a program for the Princess, where she will study among other things art history, the Constitution of Sweden and civics". Blixen-Finecke says: "It is an honorable mission to be a mentor to Princess Sofia".
It would be quite strange if a long-time Head of the Queen's Household would be downgraded to Sofia's lady-in-waiting.

Svensk Damtidning writes: Kirstine von Blixen-Finecke has been the First Lady of the Court from 2003. Now she also becomes Sofia's mentor and will now help the princess to get the required qualifications. Blixen-Finecke has spoken to Svensk Damtidning: "I feel very honored to have received this mission. It is exciting. We are about to set up a training plan that will fit. Sofia knows already a lot, but is good to improve some knowledge when you have this role of a princess in which you meet so many different kinds of people on your assignments".
Hon blir prinsessan Sofias nya mentor _ Svensk Damtidning
Translation
Old 08-22-2015, 02:00 AM
Heir Apparent

I admire the concept of programmes to help married-ins settle into life as a Swedish royal, as well as them as them having a mentor. This is so much better, in my view, than constantly having to ask questions of in-laws and spouse, and prevents too much floundering when first faced with matters of protocol or performing a new engagement.