Discussion about Princess Sofia's Past & Future Role in the Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would not see this as negative.

On sentence about the training is (according to Google translate) the following:
The training is about preparing Sofia for his new role and, according to Margareta Thorgren been going on for a while and will continue in the autumn.

As much as I can read through it, this has been started during her engagement and will continue. I think, as this will be a quite comprehensive training, it sinply will last longer.
I remember, that this was the same with Daniel.

So I think, this is an excellent choice, having Blixen-Finnecke at her side.
BYe Bine

Ongoing training pretty much happens with all jobs whether you are working in a fast food restaurant or at a medical research facility. Undoubtedly other royals still get training, I'm pretty sure that the Crown Prince Couple still get a considerable amount of training, for example they are probably undergoing training in preparation for their upcoming trip to South America.

So is this official from the Royal Court or speculation from Expression.
It seems official because Margaret Thorgren, the court's press officer, and Kirstine von Blixen-Finecke are quoted in the article.
"It is an honorable mission to be a mentor to the Princess Sophia, says Kirstine von Blixen-Finecke."
Billed Bladet refers to Kirstine von Blixen-Fineckeas Sofia's "new lady in waiting."

http://www.billedbladet.dk/kongelige/sverige/prinsesse-sofia-har-faaet-ny-hofdame

Translation

Last edited:
Kirstine von Blixen-Finecke will continue as the First Lady of the Court and the Head of the Queen's Household. She is Sofia's mentor just like brigadier general Jan-Eric Warren was Daniel's. Blixen-Finecke isn't Sofia's lady-in-waiting. Victoria and Madeleine haven't had ladies-in-waitings, so it seems unlikely that Sofia will have one.

Only time will tell how Princess Sofia does but I hope she does Sweden proud.

@Lady Finn - I didn't understand the "lady in waiting" title for Blixen-Finecke. Expressen wrote it as if she is Sofia's LIW. I didn't think Madeleine had a LIW either. Victoria has aides-de-camp, female officers. Only Silvia has LIWs (I don't know the count).

@Lady Finn - I didn't understand the "lady in waiting" title for Blixen-Finecke. Expressen wrote it as if she is Sofia's LIW. I didn't think Madeleine had a LIW either. Victoria has aides-de-camp, female officers. Only Silvia has LIWs (I don't know the count).

Expressen doesn't write about Blixen-Finecke as Sofia's lady-in-waiting. They don't use the word "hovdam". They use the word "mentor" and write: "Her job as a mentor is to make a program for the Princess, where she will study among other things art history, the Constitution of Sweden and civics". Blixen-Finecke says: "It is an honorable mission to be a mentor to Princess Sofia".
It would be quite strange if a long-time Head of the Queen's Household would be downgraded to Sofia's lady-in-waiting.

Svensk Damtidning writes: Kirstine von Blixen-Finecke has been the First Lady of the Court from 2003. Now she also becomes Sofia's mentor and will now help the princess to get the required qualifications. Blixen-Finecke has spoken to Svensk Damtidning: "I feel very honored to have received this mission. It is exciting. We are about to set up a training plan that will fit. Sofia knows already a lot, but is good to improve some knowledge when you have this role of a princess in which you meet so many different kinds of people on your assignments".
Hon blir prinsessan Sofias nya mentor _ Svensk Damtidning
Translation

I admire the concept of programmes to help married-ins settle into life as a Swedish royal, as well as them as them having a mentor. This is so much better, in my view, than constantly having to ask questions of in-laws and spouse, and prevents too much floundering when first faced with matters of protocol or performing a new engagement.

I admire the concept of programmes to help married-ins settle into life as a Swedish royal, as well as them as them having a mentor. This is so much better, in my view, than constantly having to ask questions of in-laws and spouse, and prevents too much floundering when first faced with matters of protocol or performing a new engagement.

I get the impression that Sofia was settled into family life with the Bernadottes for quite a few years but you are right settling into the role of a WORKING member of the Royal family would require ongoing training if you want to call it that. Probably the whole team are constantly upgrading!

I believe that the new mentor is a board member of either Childhood or Child Forum. (Not sure I got the title). It's a good thing they all had a big vacation.

Kirstine von Blixen-Finecke will continue as the First Lady of the Court and the Head of the Queen's Household. She is Sofia's mentor just like brigadier general Jan-Eric Warren was Daniel's. Blixen-Finecke isn't Sofia's lady-in-waiting. Victoria and Madeleine haven't had ladies-in-waitings, so it seems unlikely that Sofia will have one.

What is exactly a "First Lady of the Court" ? Does that mean the most senior lady-in-waiting to the Queen ? Or the "head lady-in-waiting" ?

Also, could you tell me if Kirstine von Blixen-Finecke is a member of the Swedish nobility ?

Discussion about Princess Sofia's Past & Future Role in the Royal Family

What is exactly a "First Lady of the Court" ? Does that mean the most senior lady-in-waiting to the Queen ? Or the "head lady-in-waiting" ?

Also, could you tell me if Kirstine von Blixen-Finecke is a member of the Swedish nobility ?

KBF is, as her title states, head of The Queens household. As far as I can find out she's not born noble but married a Baron von Blixen-Finecke. The family is very prominent in both Sweden and Denmark with several estates in both countries. Like many other noble families in Denmark and the southern Swedish province of Skåne (Scania) the family are originally from Pomerania in northern Germany. One member of the family married Augusta of Hessen-Kassel, a sister of Queen Louise of Denmark.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Last edited:
I'm looking forward to the reports to the visit to Varmland tomorrow and Thursday. I hope everything goes well for Princess Sofia on her first official royal duty as a member of the SRF. I imagine the media will be watching for any mistake no matter how small. Glad I'm not in her shoes for the next few days.

I have a question...what if Sofia decided not to take the title of Princess and stay a private citizen as Chris O'Neill did when marrying Princess M? Is that even possible? Would she still go on official trips with CP? I'm wondering how that would work if the situation was reversed...

I have a question...what if Sofia decided not to take the title of Princess and stay a private citizen as Chris O'Neill did when marrying Princess M? Is that even possible? Would she still go on official trips with CP? I'm wondering how that would work if the situation was reversed...

It's a moot point. That was decided before their wedding.

KBF is, as her title states, head of The Queens household. As far as I can find out she's not born noble but married a Baron von Blixen-Finecke. The family is very prominent in both Sweden and Denmark with several estates in both countries. Like many other noble families in Denmark and the southern Swedish province of Skåne (Scania) the family are originally from Pomerania in northern Germany. One member of the family married Augusta of Hessen-Kassel, a sister of Queen Louise of Denmark.

Is this the same. Out of Africa Von blixen

Princess Sofia is in Pretoria, South Africa representing the King and Queen at the Global Child Forum. General discussion on TRF starts here and Fashion discussion starts here.

Excerpts (English Translation) from an article in Expressen:
Princess Sofia celebrated for [her] speech
Published September 8, 2015 10:57

PRETORIA. Nelson Mandela's widow Graça Machel praises now, Princess Sofia.
After [her] international debut, she gets high praise from one of Africa's strongest female profiles:
- She was amazing and think surprised many. It was an incredibly strong voice, says Graça Machel Expressen.
Afterwards Sofia a long round of applause for his passionate speech. Her debut as a princess on the international land was completed.
Graça Machel emphasized Expressen:
- Congratulations, it was really well done by her! You are at the forefront of your country and your royal family when it comes to children's issues.
http://www.expressen.se/nyheter/prinsessan-sofia-hyllades-for-sitt-tal/
English Translation

Last edited:
Sofia acquitted herself in this speech. Here's the video of it courtesy of SvenkDam:

Sofia – en riktig supersessa | Svensk Damtidning

Expressen went overboard with the "long round of applause" statement; that implies 5 minutes with a standing ovation. And Supersessa? It's still too early to tell. I think these blogs go for hyperbole to get clicks.

Princess Sofia is in Pretoria, South Africa representing the King and Queen at the Global Child Forum. General discussion on TRF starts here and Fashion discussion starts here.

Excerpts (English Translation) from an article in Expressen:

Prinsessan Sofia hyllades för sitt tal på Global Child Forum I Sydafrika | Nyheter | Expressen
English Translation
While it was very kind of you to point out what this thread isn't, in this particular case I think how she presented herself as a representative of Sweden and how it will impact on her future role in the Swedish royal family is inextricably tied up in the way she comports herself on the international stage at this very early stage of her life as a Princess of Sweden is very relevant.

While giving her speech, she looked fine and even though her hair was down, the big screen shows the story. Everyone can see her whole face, her expressions, how she holds herself, how she communicates and so far it's pretty good. But initially she found her hair was not totally practical for giving a speech. Each time she glanced down at her speech her hair fell forward. So yes, initially there was some adjustment of her hair but fortunately, no hair in the face and no self-conscious fiddling with it.

What is becoming clear is that she seems to be taking her cue from Victoria and dressing and acting accordingly. So from rain, with damp frizzy hair and gumboots to snappy, pin-striped pants suits and stillettoes, she looks like she means business.
Sofia acquitted herself in this speech. Here's the video of it courtesy of SvenkDam:

Sofia – en riktig supersessa | Svensk Damtidning

Expressen went overboard with the "long round of applause" statement; that implies 5 minutes with a standing ovation. And Supersessa? It's still too early to tell. I think these blogs go for hyperbole to get clicks.
I agree, Sofia acquitted herself well but more importantly, any member of International Toastmasters will tell you that you make and almost indelible impression within the first 30 seconds and that 5 minutes is actually a very long time in the world of speeches. By that measure I think her debut speech was pretty darned good but, in a foreign language, it was stellar.

Last edited:
So she's doing pretty well? - Good, very good.
To have a successful start means a lot! Otherwise...

Sofia has been doing quite weel since her marriage. She knew that she was going to be watched and she has been preparing for this role for a long time, I'll daresay since she met CP. But that's another story. It doesn't matter if she is actually acting the part or being serious because the most important thing is to do one's job smoothly. (Even if you are pretending, that doesn't mind.) Her job, so far, has been fine.

P.S.See, Although I am not a fan of her and have a lot of reservations and doubts about her, I was able to make such a comment. ;-)

While it was very kind of you to point out what this thread isn't, in this particular case I think how she presented herself as a representative of Sweden and how it will impact on her future role in the Swedish royal family is inextricably tied up in the way she comports herself on the international stage at this very early stage of her life as a Princess of Sweden is very relevant.
Of course I think Sofia's trip to South Africa is relevant to this thread as evidenced by me posting about it in this thread. I provided links to the other threads as a convenience in the event anyone wanted to view and/or contribute to those discussions.

Last edited:
That's not a very helpful answer and I was just wondering. Why even say anything if you're not going to help with the question.

Because the answer to the question is that no one knows how it would work, because that's not what the Swedish Royal Family decided to do. There's no precedent for it, so it would be pointless speculation to try and figure out how things would work in an alternative reality.

@Marty91Charmed - I'm with you. The jury is still out for me regarding Sofia. I have to see what she does. One decent speech is a start, but we have to see what she does for here on out. The gossip press, especially Expressen, likes to sell Sofia as Sweden's answer to the Duchess of Cambridge. Same hair, dressing, you name it. Some of the press writing that Sofia is (or should be) the star of the SRF. The difference - Kate will one day be queen of England; Sofia will never become queen of Sweden because Victoria's pregnancy pushed Carl Philip further away from the throne. The question is how can Sofia handle her status as not being equal to Silvia and Victoria ( and that 3 year old Estelle and Baby Bernadotte Westling on the way have pre-eminence over her) and not buy into the hype the press puts out - hype that can impact performance.

:previous: What on earth makes you think that Sofia somehow won't be able to cope with the fact that Silvia, Victoria and Estelle take precedence over her? A fact that she presumably has known forever. I very much doubt that this came as a shock for her – "What... do you mean that I, as wife of the younger brother of the Crown Princess, is NOT the most important person in the royal family?!" You've made it very obvious to everyone that you don't like her but come on now, this is taking it a bit too far :rolleyes:

:previous: What on earth makes you think that Sofia somehow won't be able to cope with the fact that Silvia, Victoria and Estelle take precedence over her? A fact that she presumably has known forever. I very much doubt that this came as a shock for her – "What... do you mean that I, as wife of the younger brother of the Crown Princess, is NOT the most important person in the royal family?!" You've made it very obvious to everyone that you don't like her but come on now, this is taking it a bit too far :rolleyes:

Yea, I think that's ridiculous as well. Sofia has never had the expectation that she would take precedence, nor has she really shown any inclination towards wanting that. She's behaved in a very dignified manner since she became a member of the Royal Family, and there's been no sign of a desire to upstage any of her in-laws.

Hilariously, some said that her dress at the dinner last week was too subdued and informal- not princess-y enough.

No doubt the first time she wears a dress that's "too princess-y", she'll be desperately trying to hog the spotlight.
http://www.theroyalforums.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

At present the siblings of the King seem to have no royal duties although they do attend family functions, but are in the background. IMO once Victoria becomes Queen the focus of Royal Duties will fall on her immediate family. Hopefully this will be quite sometime in the future and her children will be old enough to step up to the roles required. This may even happen earlier if the current King has a long life. CP & Sofia would have to realise that in around 15 years, in my estimation, they will have had to carve out their own lives outside of Royal Duties. IMO it is the very reason that Chris O'Neill focuses on his career and family and only attends SRF functions if and when he can. But it is very early days for Sofia and it will be time before anyone can give an accurate assessment of her contribution. However at this stage she appears to be doing well for a novice. I've done presentations/speeches but on a very very much smaller scale than the Global Forum and even though I was confident prior to the time, when you step up to the podium and those people look at you, the nerves definitely hit you.

@Marty91Charmed - I'm with you. The jury is still out for me regarding Sofia. I have to see what she does. One decent speech is a start, but we have to see what she does for here on out. The gossip press, especially Expressen, likes to sell Sofia as Sweden's answer to the Duchess of Cambridge. Same hair, dressing, you name it. Some of the press writing that Sofia is (or should be) the star of the SRF. The difference - Kate will one day be queen of England; Sofia will never become queen of Sweden because Victoria's pregnancy pushed Carl Philip further away from the throne. The question is how can Sofia handle her status as not being equal to Silvia and Victoria ( and that 3 year old Estelle and Baby Bernadotte Westling on the way have pre-eminence over her) and not buy into the hype the press puts out - hype that can impact performance.
erm, shouldn't that have been Baby Westling Bernadotte?

The drivel spouted by journalists comparing Sofia's general style to that of the Duchess of Cambridge, it is just that, drivel. Sofia's taste in clothing is nothing like that of Catherine although I will allow that they have worn the same colour on occasion. But Sofia is a very curvacious woman and chooses clothing for her shape which is rarely the same as Catherine's model figure dictates. As for the sausage curl hairstyle Sofia has been playing with, I can only hope the limitations of said hairstyle become rapidly apparent and she changes up.

As to the nonsense about how Sofia will cope with the realisation that her status is not equal to that of Queen Silvia and the Crown Princess family? I think she was lucky enough to fall in love with a lovely man and she knew exactly who and what he is before she married him.

Back
Top Bottom