The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-27-2015, 08:54 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
The king and queen are giving a big role to Sofia right in the beginning.

The king and queen founded Global Child Forum (Former World Child & Youth Forum) in 2009. It has been held in Stockholm and last year was first satellite forum in Dubai, where queen Silvia attended.

On 8th September will be held Global Child Forum in Pretoria, South Africa.
"The Forum, with more than 30 prominent speakers and under the patronage and active participation of Dr. Graça Machel and H.R.H. Princess Sofia of Sweden, has a special focus on building partnerships and on corporate sustainability for the protection of children’s rights in Southern Africa."m,
Global Child Forum Pretoria 8 september 2015 _ Global Child Forum

So, obviously after less than 3 months from the wedding, Sofia gets an own patronage event abroad. This information has been on the website of the Forum for many weeks already.
Thanks Lady Finn for the posting. I wondered why Princess Sofia was not listed in the calendar past the visit to their Duchy. I wish her well. CG said in his toast at the wedding that they were very proud of her. She will not disappoint them.

Old 07-27-2015, 01:29 PM
Courtier

So basically this is like what she was doing with Project Playground. It shouldn't be a stretch for her. Plus since Madeleine is on leave with her family I'd assume Sofia and CP would pick up the slack in some way.

Old 07-27-2015, 08:39 PM
Nobility

I checked the court calendar today and there is no listing of Sofia going to South Africa on Sept. 8. Sofia attended the Global Child Forum with Victoria, Silvia and Carl Gustaf this past April. I haven't found an article saying she is going to South Africa, independent of the forum's link. If the Royal Couple sponsors the forum, why not put it on the calendar? Also the calendar is adding October events. So far no one is on it.
Old 07-28-2015, 02:35 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Verseau View Post
I checked the court calendar today and there is no listing of Sofia going to South Africa on Sept. 8. Sofia attended the Global Child Forum with Victoria, Silvia and Carl Gustaf this past April. I haven't found an article saying she is going to South Africa, independent of the forum's link. If the Royal Couple sponsors the forum, why not put it on the calendar? Also the calendar is adding October events. So far no one is on it.
Invitation to the Forum
https://scontent-bru2-1.xx.fbcdn.net...37369080_o.jpg

The royal calendar is updated constantly, of course not during the holiday. Everything isn't put right away to the calendar, although the work events are known and agreed. This is the way the swedish court works and that's it. For instance, it has been told to the press already in May, that queen Silvia will be at a World Childhood Foundation charity gala in Germany on 9th September, it is not at the calendar yet.
Pressekonferenz mit der Region Mainfranken - Childhood
Childhood im Dialog am 09. September in Würzburg
Queen Silvia will be in Washington at the 2015 Mentor International Gala on 22nd September, it is not at the calendar yet
2015 Mentor International Gala at the Mayflower Hotel in Washington, D.C.

There are also work events for Victoria and Daniel in September which aren't at the calendar yet.

The court wants the press to focus at Carl Philip's and Sofia's first joint official visit to their duchy, and haven't published their other work events yet.
Old 07-28-2015, 03:01 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
The king and queen are giving a big role to Sofia right in the beginning.

The king and queen founded Global Child Forum (Former World Child & Youth Forum) in 2009. It has been held in Stockholm and last year was first satellite forum in Dubai, where queen Silvia attended.

On 8th September will be held Global Child Forum in Pretoria, South Africa.
"The Forum, with more than 30 prominent speakers and under the patronage and active participation of Dr. Graça Machel and H.R.H. Princess Sofia of Sweden, has a special focus on building partnerships and on corporate sustainability for the protection of children’s rights in Southern Africa."
Global Child Forum Pretoria 8 september 2015 _ Global Child Forum

So, obviously after less than 3 months from the wedding, Sofia gets an own patronage event abroad. This information has been on the website of the Forum for many weeks already.
Very good start for Sofia. Moreover , given the absence of Madeleine is a smart moove by the Royal Family to give an active role and quickly to Sofia.
Old 08-11-2015, 07:38 AM
Nobility

An article about Sofia's role in the SRF:

Inskolning för Sveriges nya prinsessa | Svensk Damtidning

I thought the argument for Sofia was she received training before she married Carl Philip. Now this article suggests she still has a lot to learn and the court is still working things at she may chair. Is this a response to online criticism (comments and articles) that the Prince Couple has been on vacation too long (from honeymoon to family vacation at Solliden and the French Riveria)?
Old 08-11-2015, 07:44 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:

I thought the argument for Sofia was she received training before she married Carl Philip. Now this article suggests she still has a lot to learn and the court is still working things at she may chair. Is this a response to online criticism (comments and articles) that the Prince Couple has been on vacation too long (from honeymoon to family vacation at Solliden and the French Riveria)?
Svensk Damtidning tries desperately to find something to write about Sofia, this is just one article among those. They write the same things many times, before the wedding and after the wedding. They have written about Sofia's family, friends, clothes, style, make up, hairstylist, stylist, Sofia's hometown Älvdalen, Sofia's Stockholm and so on.
The whole royal family has a long holiday in the summer, there is nothing strange in Carl Philip and Sofia being away from work.
Old 08-11-2015, 09:36 PM
Nobility

@Lady Finn - the reason I found the article odd is that SvenskDam, Expressen, and other Swedish media has been in the tank for Sofia for a long time. Practically every article about her has been a puff piece. Now Carl Philip and Sofia are being compared to Beatrice of York - who has been dragged for the number of vacations she has taken between jobs. Unless I missed something, SvenskDam has always been pro-Sofia. Or perhaps the magazine was waiting until after the wedding, when Sofia is officially an HRH (a public figure) that the magazine can become more critical of her.
Old 08-11-2015, 10:58 PM
Majesty

Ah ha, there we go, leave it to the Daily Mail Online to send the opening salvo about Sofia and add a bit more acid about Princess Beatrice to boot. Obviously they are getting bored with the lack "news" about Sofia and have tried to stir up some imaginary controversy. However, as Lady Finn pointed out, there is nothing unusual about the summer holiday so the article is not getting any traction.

The Svensk Damtidning article is merely another puff piece to explain why there isn't any news, and possibly a realisation that next comes "Princess School". Though I would argue that standing up in front of your friends and family at a wedding does not give her that much of a head start.

For all I have little respect for the quality of the SRF PR department, their "Prince School" sent Daniel well armed into the royal world and he is living proof that learning the subtle minutia of royal life can, if done sensibly over a long enough period of time, create a formidable asset to the SRF. I expect nothing less from them for "Princess School" for Sofia.

ps: It's good to remember that the Daily Mail have the best photos and the worst journalistic quality.
Old 08-12-2015, 12:07 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:

I read Swedish newspapers daily and have not seen anything about too much time off. Please direct us to where such comments may have been published.

The article is quite informative and well written about the training that everyone that has married into the royal family goes through.

Sweden is basically "closed" during the "industry vacation" which lasts four week in July. The couple were on their honeymoon and then the for Swedes usual summer break. I can not imagine anyone expecting them to do anything during vacation time as most of the country is on vacation anyway.
Old 08-12-2015, 01:52 AM
Imperial Majesty

Most likely Sofia has already been prepared for her royal role either before the wedding or she is now being prepared.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 08-12-2015, 03:56 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Ah ha, there we go, leave it to the Daily Mail Online to send the opening salvo about Sofia and add a bit more acid about Princess Beatrice to boot. Obviously they are getting bored with the lack "news" about Sofia and have tried to stir up some imaginary controversy. However, as Lady Finn pointed out, there is nothing unusual about the summer holiday so the article is not getting any traction.

The Svensk Damtidning article is merely another puff piece to explain why there isn't any news, and possibly a realisation that next comes "Princess School". Though I would argue that standing up in front of your friends and family at a wedding does not give her that much of a head start.

For all I have little respect for the quality of the SRF PR department, their "Prince School" sent Daniel well armed into the royal world and he is living proof that learning the subtle minutia of royal life can, if done sensibly over a long enough period of time, create a formidable asset to the SRF. I expect nothing less from them for "Princess School" for Sofia.

ps: It's good to remember that the Daily Mail have the best photos and the worst journalistic quality.
. I love your p.s.
Old 08-12-2015, 07:36 AM
Nobility

Daniel is the husband of the future head of state as well as the father of one. His training had to be more intense before marriage. It's been put out there that Sofia underwent training for royal life for some time, before marriage. Not at the same level as Daniel because she is not a future queen consort, but some to understand she is going to be a representative of Sweden. Sofia still has to prove herself with the Varmland visit and the Childhood Forum in South Africa. Believe it, the media is going to be watching to see if Sofia can carry it off.
Old 08-12-2015, 07:39 AM
Majesty

So the best we must to do is to wait and see
Old 08-12-2015, 07:59 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Most likely Sofia has already been prepared for her royal role either before the wedding or she is now being prepared.
I very much doubt that she is prepared yet. She, like Daniel, is a Swede so there is no cultural divide, however as the article referenced, there are many, many, many seemingly insignificant obstacles ahead and Sofia spent the time prior to marriage leaning and then after the marriage he was still getting "finished". Obviously there is more to it than just knowing which fork to use.

Daniel made good use of his medical "down time" before and following surgery which enabled him to learn a lot, and this continued for some time after his marriage. Sofia doesn't have that edge as brides are supposed to be fully involved with "the wedding", so I would hope that she is as protected as he was, royally and diplomatically, for some time to come.
Old 08-12-2015, 09:07 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
I very much doubt that she is prepared yet. She, like Daniel, is a Swede so there is no cultural divide, however as the article referenced, there are many, many, many seemingly insignificant obstacles ahead and Sofia spent the time prior to marriage leaning and then after the marriage he was still getting "finished". Obviously there is more to it than just knowing which fork to use.

Daniel made good use of his medical "down time" before and following surgery which enabled him to learn a lot, and this continued for some time after his marriage. Sofia doesn't have that edge as brides are supposed to be fully involved with "the wedding", so I would hope that she is as protected as he was, royally and diplomatically, for some time to come.
I think Prince CP will make sure she is "protected" as it has been evident all along how devoted he is to her IMO. There is no doubt that Princess S will have her own style within the required boundaries of protocol. I have been impressed with how she has presented so far at events such as Nobel, National Day an the Crown P b'day. Princess S WILL make a few mistakes and they will be blown all out of proportion by some of the media outlets. I wish her well.
Old 08-12-2015, 11:06 PM
Nobility

If anything the royal court better prepare Sofia on how to deal with not-so-diplomatic questions about her past if they come up. Victoria represented Sweden for the 70th anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz this year and a reporter threw her maternal grandfather's Nazi ties in her face. Victoria didn't flinch and she denounced Nazism. Victoria wasn't even born when the Nazis came to power; but because a relative was involved it was brought up, but her answer shut it down. When you become a public figure there are times "no comment" or a statement from a PR rep keeps the issue alive. Sofia has to learn how to confront and deal with it if it happens, even if someone from the crowd makes comments.

As for protection, Sapo only protects Carl Gustaf, Silvia, Victoria, Daniel and Estelle. The protection officers were with Victoria and Daniel on their honeymoon, they even protect them when they're out on a jog. The rest of the family do not get protection, which is odd since they do leave the country on business for Sweden at times.
Old 08-13-2015, 03:59 AM
Majesty

The incident with Princess Victoria is exactly what I was thinking of in terms of "protection". Knowledge is power and while Carl Philip is not the CP, that does not mean that Sofia needs any less instruction in the diplomatic minefield that is being a member of the SRF.

Chris's ignorance of Royalty and the minutia of diplomacy has proved a massive headache where it was least expected. Sofia is going to be very, very closely monitored for the slightest misstep by those who are hoping she will fall flat on her face. Princess school should give her the tools to handle any foreseeable problem, be it personal abuse or diplomatic minefields.
Old 08-13-2015, 04:39 AM
Imperial Majesty

Like Margareta Thorgren told to the press before the wedding, Sofia will not have the same kind of education to her role as a princess, which Daniel had, because she didn't marry the heir to the throne, but she got information of the swedish system of government and the duties of the monarchy.

About the protection for Carl Philip and Sofia, it was told in 2012 after that fight Carl Philip had in Cannes, that Carl Philip has SÄPO-protection only in special cases. But then it was also said that the situation can change and the court makes threat assessments all the time at the changing world.
”Prins Daniel har mer skydd än Carl Philip” _ Nyheter _ Aftonbladet

Carl Philip can also hire other bodyguards for himself (or the court can hire those), the man with Sofia at this photo at the last STCC race is Jan Gustavsson, who worked before as a SÄPO-guard of the royal family and nowadays he has been working as a bodyguard for Zlatan, Roger Federer and other stars.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CJoTZSHUcAQs9IW.jpg
Gustavsson was also with Carl Philip and his friends at Carl Philip's bachelor party in Greece.
http://y.cdn-expressen.se/images/17/...6x9/912@70.jpg
And Gustavsson was as a SÄPO-guard with Victoria and Daniel on their honeymoon
http://imageupper.com/i/?S0200010070...94521481207140
Old 08-13-2015, 04:39 AM
Courtier

You know no one learns to walk without landing on their rear a few times. PS will make mistakes, as we all do but in the end it will take time to see how she performs in this role. I just hope she has a work ethic and works hard for her Country.