The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden > Prince Carl Philip and Princess Sofia

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-16-2015, 02:33 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Verseau View Post
There are certain members of the press will never let her live it down.
Nope, because the press has to earn money and juicy stories is what brings in the big bucks

It's funny, if you had asked the questions you've been asking lately about Sofia here a couple of months ago, they would have sparked an enormous pro/con debate and several moderators working in overdrive to prevent the rest of us verbally demolishing eachother.... now the comments are quite relaxed; we've all been there, seen it all (with snake and without ) and probably said all there is to say
i have a feeling it's a bit the same with the general public; press tries to stir a little, but nothing new

only if in the future new, more damning, evidence comes to light there might be a possibility for new discussions, but i somehow expect P.Sofia will be on princess-behaviour from now on, and the past will soon be only an amusing anecdote

Old 07-16-2015, 04:17 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

the full nude stuff she did was largely ignored by the pink press because its too hard to print and too much of what pink press readers want to see, so many occasional pink press readers think she was just a model who posed in a bikini with a snake and did a reality show what is not true. i don't expect this to change.

i am so glad that cp is only a prince down the line and not a future king because his wife is not qualified to represent sweden on such a high level. for what cp usually does and to provide the nation with sugary family pictures, it might be enough.

Old 07-16-2015, 04:52 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
It's not just commentors on boards and blogs that are going over her past. Writers of articles for news and gossip blogs are bringing it up. Sofia has been described in print and/or electronic media recently as "reality show star", "topless model" "erotic model" "glamour model", "bikini model", "ex-stripper", etc. Project Playground is never mentioned most of the time. There are certain members of the press will never let her live it down.
And that says more about the tabloids than Sofia.

Old 07-16-2015, 05:20 AM
Heir Apparent

For the work to be done (work is the right word?) is perfect.
Must be nice to be dressed nicely and smilling to greet the people. I think is easy.
Old 07-16-2015, 05:30 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
the full nude stuff she did was largely ignored by the pink press because its too hard to print and too much of what pink press readers want to see, so many occasional pink press readers think she was just a model who posed in a bikini with a snake and did a reality show what is not true. i don't expect this to change.

i am so glad that cp is only a prince down the line and not a future king because his wife is not qualified to represent sweden on such a high level. for what cp usually does and to provide the nation with sugary family pictures, it might be enough.
I agree totally. The press also mercifully "forgot" Sofia's interview in Slitz, that gave some information about how she has been raised by her parents, considering the things she spoke at the interview.
Old 07-16-2015, 06:18 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archduchess Zelia View Post
And that says more about the tabloids than Sofia.
well, to be honest none of what they would say is untrue. so to me it does say something about sofia mainly, and then about the press on a minor proportion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
I agree totally. The press also mercifully "forgot" Sofia's interview in Slitz, that gave some information about how she has been raised by her parents, considering the things she spoke at the interview.
what was it that sofia mentioned to slitz? i can't see anything about her upbringing being too controversial...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHAmy View Post
Sofia will never get rid of her past. No matter how much the SRF will try to make it go away. It will always be there and it surely will always be brought up. What's done is done. It was funny I was just looking at Sofia's biography on the SRF's website today and there was nothing about her time as a model. It covered her schooling, her time as a yoga instructor then on to her Project Playground work. It seems as though the royal family wants to wipe away her past to make her look more respectable. I'm afraid as much good as Sofia will do in the future, she will never fully get rid of her racy past.

unfortunately not. the fact that the SRF tried to "hide" her past in the biography is no clever move in my opinion - come on, it's known, there's evidence all over the internet... you might as well acknowledge that sofia was "a model" (which sounds more dignified than saying she posed naked) and that she "participated in some TV shows". i'd prefer to see that written than to completely ignore her past and talk about project playground, which probably represents 10% of her past activity when considering the time spent her modelling, posing and reality TV. it's no easy position for the SRF but at least being honest and transparent in her biography would project the image to the public that they are not ashamed of her past and that they accept her. how can they expect the public to accept her when they try to cover these facts themselves?
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 07-16-2015, 06:58 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenobia View Post
Victorias birthday was Sofias first appearance as a princess, and full member of the swedish royal family, so of course it's a big thing. But it's not Sofia who decides what the headlines say. I don't think she did something during the concert that gives us any sign of her trying to steal the spotlight away from Victoria.
Absolutely! Victoria has a birthday every year and from the overt PDA's she and Madeleine have made over their brother it is clear they love him dearly and that means accepting his marital choice.
Quote:
It's not just commentors on boards and blogs that are going over her past. Writers of articles for news and gossip blogs are bringing it up. Sofia has been described in print and/or electronic media recently as "reality show star", "topless model" "erotic model" "glamour model", "bikini model", "ex-stripper", etc. Project Playground is never mentioned most of the time. There are certain members of the press will never let her live it down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-Z View Post
Nope, because the press has to earn money and juicy stories is what brings in the big bucks

It's funny, if you had asked the questions you've been asking lately about Sofia here a couple of months ago, they would have sparked an enormous pro/con debate and several moderators working in overdrive to prevent the rest of us verbally demolishing eachother.... now the comments are quite relaxed; we've all been there, seen it all (with snake and without ) and probably said all there is to say
i have a feeling it's a bit the same with the general public; press tries to stir a little, but nothing new

only if in the future new, more damning, evidence comes to light there might be a possibility for new discussions, but i somehow expect P.Sofia will be on princess-behaviour from now on, and the past will soon be only an amusing anecdote
Couldn't have said it better myself.

The haters can hate and the stirrers may stir but they don't seem to be getting any traction. As far as the family and many others seem act it seems that now that Sofia is married to Carl Philip it's a done deal. The past is the past. We're all living in the present.
Old 07-16-2015, 09:06 AM
Nobility

As time goes by Sofia's bio will expand as she performs royal duties, has children and wears nice clothes, but any write up of her beyond a paragraph will note, accompanied by pictures, that she was a former glamor model and appeared on a reality TV show - it is not going to go away, it's just there. Of course there are people who do not and will never approve of her but obviously there was not such a high level of disapproval that it prevented the marriage from being approved. If the public outcry against what Sofia did when she was in her early 20s was not overwhelming in 2014-2015, then that is unlikely to change in 2020, 2025 and beyond, especially if she does a good job as a Princess of Sweden. Again it is not a big deal if ten years from now, there is a big write up on Sofia that discusses her past and they run pictures of her in skimpy clothes and/or partying.

Perhaps her official bio should have included something like she was a former model and television personality but far more people read the Daily Mail, People, US Weekly and other gossip sites and those publications definitely highlight the juicier parts of Sofia's past and will continue to do so.
Old 07-16-2015, 10:31 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
But Lilian did get the Order of the Plar Star at the time of her marriage. Even before wwhen she was still a btitish citizen as according to the law at that time no swedish cititzens could get swedish Orders. And she got the Order of the Seraphim in 1995 when the law was changed so that memers of the swdish RF could get swedish Orders.
As I wrote, Lilian got the Nordstjärneordern = Order of the Polar Star at the time of her marriage. She got the Order of the Seraphim at her 80th birtday.

If you look back in the history of the Order of the Seraphim, you can see that queen Louise didn't get the order until she became queen, and princess Sibylla, her daughters and princess Ingeborg didn't get their orders until 1952. https://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lista_...Serafimerorden There is nothing that says that Sofia "should" get the order directly after her wedding.
Quote:
Silvia wore the Cameo Tiara for her wedding to Carl Gustaf (CG). The Cameo is part of the Bernadotte collection.
Yes, for the wedding when she became a member of the SRF. She wore the Connaught diadem at the celebrations the evening before the wedding, but there were no official photos of her with a diadem until after the wedding.
Quote:
It raises the question how will Sofia be an effective representative of Sweden.
My hope is that she will concentrate on being a wife (and mother) and her own project playground, and do as much as, or as little as, representation for Sweden as her husband does, family ocations but not much more,.
Old 07-16-2015, 10:43 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meraude View Post
My hope is that she will concentrate on being a wife (and mother) and her own project playground, and do as much as, or as little as, representation for Sweden as her husband does, family ocations but not much more,.
I expect her to attend openings of parliament, national day/official birthday celebrations, Nobel ceremonies, and possibly state banquets in honor of visiting HoS's on a regular basis. I don't expect her or her husband for that matter to take part in state visits overseas, or to lead Swedish delegations in diplomatic, business, cultural or scientific missions to foreign countries as the King and the Crown Princess routinely do.
Old 07-16-2015, 11:08 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
I expect her to attend openings of parliament, national day/official birthday celebrations, Nobel ceremonies, and possibly state banquets in honor of visiting HoS's on a regular basis. I don't expect her or her husband for that matter to take part in state visits overseas, or to lead Swedish delegations in diplomatic, business, cultural or scientific missions to foreign countries as the King and the Crown Princess routinely do.
Prince Bertil was very active doing these things from the 1940ies and during his father's rule, as well during the first years of his nephew's rule. Why doesn't Carl Philip help with this, unless he's more interesting in doing his own stuff? I admire prince Bertil for doing so much for Sweden, as well as Victoria today, non so much for her brother.
Old 07-16-2015, 11:21 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Prince Bertil was very active doing these things from the 1940ies and during his father's rule, as well during the first years of his nephew's rule. Why doesn't Carl Philip help with this, unless he's more interesting in doing his own stuff? I admire prince Bertil for doing so much for Sweden, as well as Victoria today, non so much for her brother.
I can't comment on Prince Bertil's role during King Gustav VI Adolf's reign, but, in the early years of Carl Gustaf's reign, I suppose Prince Bertil had to pitch in because there was no one else available other than the King himself to do those things. Nowadays, the King can rely on the Crown Princess and her husband.
Old 07-16-2015, 11:37 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

During the time when Prince Bertil was so busy with royal duties, the King was already ageing, his eldest son had died much too early and the Crown Prince Carl-Gustaf was still too young to fully fill the role. So Prince Bertil stepped up.

I think that the Court makes sure that none of the younger siblings overshadows the Crown Princess. They probably want a wide gap between Victoria's activities and those of the younger ones.

Old 07-16-2015, 12:06 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilia C. View Post
I think that the Court makes sure that none of the younger siblings overshadows the Crown Princess. They probably want a wide gap between Victoria's activities and those of the younger ones.
So it's better for the court to support two lazy brats, than have siblings who are helping their older sister when it comes to royal duties?
Old 07-16-2015, 01:00 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
The way that the SRF's website fails to mention Sofia's past career (not to mention the way they don't really say anything concrete about her pre-Project Playground achievements, including the use of dates) is the SRF trying to white wash her history.

Her page on the SRF's website tells of her background and personal history. Her modelling career is a part of that, like it or not.

Exactly. It was a big part of her life back then. To not say anything about it is suspicious.
Old 07-16-2015, 01:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
So it's better for the court to support two lazy brats, than have siblings who are helping their older sister when it comes to royal duties?
It is just the downsizing we see in all monarchies: the focus on the King, the Heir and their families. You see it in Spain, you see it in the Netherlands, you also see it in Norway where the brother of the Crown Princess (Sverre) is already no HRH and does not have the territporial designation "of Norway", anticipating on a low-key royal role in the future.

The spotlight is full on the royal couple, the crown princely couple and their daughter Estelle. Seems a normal development in all monarchies.
Old 07-16-2015, 06:11 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
The spotlight is full on the royal couple, the crown princely couple and their daughter Estelle. Seems a normal development in all monarchies.
If it's about downsizing the monarchy, then he and his wife could have become Mr. and Mrs. Bernadotte, and Carl Philip would have been able to spend all his time with his racing career, which seems to be what he wants to do.
Old 07-16-2015, 08:31 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
As far as I understand, the King, the Queen Consort and the Crown Princess are the only members of the SRF that receive direct funding from the State. I suppose the King pays for CP's and Madeleine's expenses out of his appanage only when those expenses are related to official royal duties.

Please note that I am not advocating that CP and Sofia should have no official role at all. In fact, I fully expect them to take up domestic engagements and get involved with different civil society organizations in Sweden. What I don't expect them to do, as I said, is to serve as ambassadors for Sweden overseas in economic or diplomatic missions as Crown Princess Victoria does.

As for his private life, in addition to his race driving, CP has his design business and I also expect him to get more involved in the future in the management of the estates he inherited or will potentially inherit (hence, the rationale for his pursuing an agricultural management degree).
Old 07-19-2015, 09:14 AM
Nobility

Hello, I am a new member and this is my first post.Full disclosure: I am a Sofia supporter (as well as a supporter of most Royals). Having followed many of these threads I think it is safe to say that Sofia will have an uphill battle and I think she will win with dignity and grace and CHARM. I see the royal duties of CP and S increasing very much in the next few years. CG and his Queen are both around 70 and they will cut back their duties as CPV and Daniel take over more and more. That leaves CP and Sofia to step in to a more visible and active set of duties. They have had 5-6 years of a very private life as a couple(except where the tabloids have tried to make it otherwise).In those years THEY have not created any scandals and I salute them as they move into their new duties.
Loved the wedding and continue to watch the 10hr. video from SVT and see something new every time I play it. The love and support in the Royal family (and between the Royal families) is inspiring.
Old 07-19-2015, 10:27 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
If it's about downsizing the monarchy, then he and his wife could have become Mr. and Mrs. Bernadotte, and Carl Philip would have been able to spend all his time with his racing career, which seems to be what he wants to do.
No. Why? There are Dukes, Counts, Barons in Sweden as well who remain Duke, Count or Baron, even though they have no public role. Why should Prince Carl Philip of Sweden, legitimate son of the King, give up his royal titles?