Christening of Prince Gabriel of Sweden: December 1, 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
okay, so sofia decided to wear a traditional dress. it is a sweet touch, but i think it looks kind of hideous.
victoria, on the other hand, looked supreme. wonderful dress and colour.

Prince Gabriel's christening was truly a beautiful ceremony! It is splendid how the immediate family gets along so well with the long distance relatives.

All christenings of king Carl Gustaf's grandchildren so far have been much better than this, it was clearly the worst. Too much pop music and many people were dressed really inappropriate for a church event in winter. But, Estelle was great as always and I like Archbishop Emeritus Anders Wejryd much more than Archbishop Antje Jackélen, those were the best parts of the ceremony.

Gallery
Christening of Prince Gabriel of Sweden, 01-12-2017 - Images _ Bernard Rübsamen

okay, so sofia decided to wear a traditional dress. it is a sweet touch, but i think it looks kind of hideous.

It's not required to like the swedish and/or norwegian bunad/folkdräkt. It's not to everyones taste. But I do think that almost all swedish viewers gasped for air - of delight - when we saw Sofia in her folkdräkt. It's something that almost everyone enjoys to see, especially here when she wore her Älvdalen folkdräkt - from Dalarna, prince Gabriels duchy.

Technically folkdräkt is also a högtidsdräkt, meaning that if you would wear it to festivities like Nobel, you would be following the dress code. Folkdräkt is always technically right. But as I said, that doesn't mean that everyone has to like the look of it.

The christening was really nice to watch. Gabriel seems to be a beautiful baby, but he really didn't seem to like being held by the archbishop! I remember Oscar crying at this point in his christening too - not critiquing of course, this is a natural thing for babies. Alexander looks so grown up, and I loved his little smiles at the end of the live stream. He looks a lot like Carl Philip did at that age. I also liked that Estelle poured the water, that was a really nice touch and she seemed so proud of herself at the end.

I'm looking forward into the photos of Gabriel in the royal cradle and the official photos. And on another note, I really like how the Swedes pronounce Gabriel.

All christenings of king Carl Gustaf's grandchildren so far have been much better than this, it was clearly the worst. Too much pop music and many people were dressed really inappropriate for a church event in winter. But, Estelle was great as always and I like Archbishop Emeritus Anders Wejryd much more than Archbishop Antje Jackélen, those were the best parts of the ceremony.

It's hardly a surprise to anyone that you would think that the christening of Victoria and Madeleines children were better.

But seriously: Pop music? People dressed inappropriate? Did we watch the same ceremony?

My favourite thing about the ceremony was that all the familiar Lutheran and Swedish royal christening traditions that I was expecting to see were there. I especially liked to hear the hymn "Tryggare kan ingen vara" that is very popular in christenings in Finland, too. The folkish music choices with connection to Älvdalen and South Africa added some personality to the ceremony and were clearly approved by the archbishop emeritus and that's all that matters.

Sofia wearing a traditional costume sewn by her relatives, Estelle pouring the water, and prince Alexander using his dad's childhood clothes were delightful surprises that build up feeling of a family event. All in all, I enjoyed the ceremony, just as I have enjoyed all the other Swedish royal christenings. Now I'm only eagerly waiting to see the picture of prince Gabriel sleeping in the lovely, old cradle!

:previous:I think the ceremony was beautiful and Princess Sofia was so pretty in her traditional dress, that to me said she really gave the ceremony a great deal of thought into it. She chose something that would represent the duchy that her son would have someday. Everyone looked great, no inappropriate clothing choices that I could see, no small children running wild, mom and dad, Carl Philip and Sofia, looked proud and so in love, everything was just perfect so what could be the problem here, I saw none. I will say that since Carl Philip came into Sofia's life, she has matured and grown more sensible and ladylike each day.....she is a wonderful addition to the family and being only human like all of us, she is not perfect and neither are we. ?

From the pics and videos, I saw a close knit, loving family enjoying and celebrating a Christening of a dearly loved child. I saw Sofia honouring the Duchy she was born in and that her baby son, and her descendants will be linked to via the dukedom.

I saw two loving parents, with their two beautiful boys, and two extended families all joyfully congregating to celebrate this occasion.

I also saw this with the christening of Estelle, Lenore, Oscar, Nicolas and Alexander. Each were special in their own unique way.

I got up at 5 AM local time to watch the livestream of the christening, but I was a wee bit late getting the livestream running. The first thing I saw was Sofia in her traditional dress. For a moment, I thought I had the wrong stream and was watching a repeat of National Day! :lol:

That said, I can understand why she wore it. It was a nice touch, and her little Gabriel is the duke of Dalarna.

I was so looking forward to seeing how Madeleine and Chris wrangled their little ones, and so disappointed when I realized Leonore and Nicolas weren't there! But Alexander certainly made up for it with his antics. I loved the glee on Estelle's face when she got to pour the water into the baptismal font. Oscar has the sweetest little grumpy face! And he was so well behaved!

Next up: christening for Madeleine and Chris's third child, with them trying to keep Leonore and Nicholas under control, while everyone else is busy with two kids of their own. That should be entertaining.

Last edited:
Bit of a stretch at the least to say from photos at One event, that there is nothing wrong with this family at all :ermm:

But it seemed liked definitely a happy family event. Sofia and CP definitely proud parents and Alexander is looking so grown up at it. Nice touch for Sofia to wear the traditional costume for her son's province/her province.

He definitely didn't like the water did he:ROFLMAO: Said to be a good sign when the baby cries when water is put on them. The old superstition was it was a sign of the demons escaping.:lol:

I couldn't find a closeup of Gabriel' s face except of the one crying in the bishops arms
Is there one elsewhere?

I will say that the most wonderful picture of how much this family has accepted Sofia into their family has been the picture below. It is so loving and caring and these 2 women sharing a love of a child is so precious: https://media.shootitlive.com/ToZf6OGPwm69ZbZ82wwnGbwKRjo/1200.jpg?project_id=expressen/2934
https://www.svenskdam.se/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/madeleine-tt-ny.jpg
There is nothing wrong in this family at all, there is plenty of love to go around for all.

I have to agree. :flowers: Beautiful pictures, showing real warmth between family members.

Personal attacks have been removed. If you can not discuss this christening without insulting fellow posters, please refrain from discussing it here at all

M.Payton said:
She chose something that would represent the duchy that her son would have someday.
He already is the Duke of Dalarna. He got his name and dukedom on the same day.
From the pics and videos, I saw a close knit, loving family enjoying and celebrating a Christening of a dearly loved child. I saw Sofia honouring the Duchy she was born in and that her baby son, and her descendants will be linked to via the dukedom.
Her descendants won't be linked to Dalarna via the Dukedoms. In Sweden these titles are personal, so Gabriel is linked to this dukedom but his descendants won't.

I always find Carl Philip a really poised young man with a regal but approachable attitude. He would have been a fine King. He reminds me of Don Felipe. Also in dress sense: im-pec-ca-ble.

I will say that the most wonderful picture of how much this family has accepted Sofia into their family has been the picture below. It is so loving and caring and these 2 women sharing a love of a child is so precious:

https://media.shootitlive.com/ToZf6OGPwm69ZbZ82wwnGbwKRjo/1200.jpg?project_id=expressen/2934

https://www.svenskdam.se/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/madeleine-tt-ny.jpg

There is nothing wrong in this family at all, there is plenty of love to go around for all.
That picture of Silvia and Sofia is :wub:. It may dethrone the picture of Daisy and the pig as my avatar. I am also considering a photo of Oscar at his grumpy best, and I have also been looking for a particular photo of Alexander and Oscar from Alexander's christening.

I always find Carl Philip a really poised young man with a regal but approachable attitude. He would have been a fine King. He reminds me of Don Felipe. Also in dress sense: im-pec-ca-ble.
I like Carl Philip but it is hard for me to see him as King of Sweden because to me Victoria is the quintessential monarch-in-waiting. However I remember reading some years ago that he was approached by Estonia to be its King, now that is an interesting thought. :crown4::sceptre::orb:

Any offiziell Photos?
Still don't see a proper/nice photo of litte Gabriel' s face:bang:

Any offiziell Photos?
Still don't see a proper/nice photo of litte Gabriel' s face:bang:

We did get some fairly good photos of Gabriel at the christening, but I'm also wondering when we'll see the official ones. Even photos of Gabriel in the royal cradle haven't been released, as is usual for Swedish royal christenings.

How many days did it take for Alexander's official photos to be released? I can't remember.

He already is the Duke of Dalarna. He got his name and dukedom on the same day.

Her descendants won't be linked to Dalarna via the Dukedoms. In Sweden these titles are personal, so Gabriel is linked to this dukedom but his descendants won't.

Regardless whether he is the duke now or later it was a very nice gesture that Sofia made to her son, the family and the dukedom. Be it personal or otherwise it the gesture was personal. I am not someone that knows *everything* here, like some are that have the need to always put others in their place which I don't take kindly to.

Here's 2 video's from the Christening of HRH Prince Gabriel of Sweden.

It may be very well that, in the future, the children of Gabriel may NOT have the title of Prince/ss of Sweden, Duke/Duchess of X (i.e. limiting those titles to the children and grandchildren of tge monarch). Instead, they may bear titles from the Duchy of Dalarna (whatever that may be) or be titleless.

Even if the above does not eventuate, Gabriel's, and indeed Sofia's descendants will be linked to the dukedom. We, as avid members of this Forum, illustrate when a previous dukedom was held etc. Historians will state that X, is the great great grandchild of Gabriel, a Prince of Sweden, Duke of Dalarna, whose mother was born in Dalarna.

I like Carl Philip but it is hard for me to see him as King of Sweden because to me Victoria is the quintessential monarch-in-waiting. However I remember reading some years ago that he was approached by Estonia to be its King, now that is an interesting thought. :crown4::sceptre::orb:

As a side comment, Art. 8 of the Swedish Act of Succession says that a prince or princess of the Royal House of Sweden cannot become the sovereign of a foreign country without the consent of the Swedish King and the Swedish parliament; otherwise, he or she and his or her respective descendants are removed from the line of succession to the Swedish throne.

Regardless whether he is the duke now or later it was a very nice gesture that Sofia made to her son, the family and the dukedom. Be it personal or otherwise it the gesture was personal. I am not someone that knows *everything* here, like some are that have the need to always put others in their place which I don't take kindly to.

My apologies, I know I can come across as a know-all (which of course I am not - there is always more to learn). Hopefully others found the information useful.

I agree that it was a nice gesture on Sofia's part to make this nod to Dalarna. To me it is also a confirmation that this dukedom was picked because Sofia is from Dalarna - which I think many suspected but this gesture confirms that to me.

As a side comment, Art. 8 of the Swedish Act of Succession says that a prince or princess of the Royal House of Sweden cannot become the sovereign of a foreign country without the consent of the Swedish King and the Swedish parliament; otherwise, he or she and his or her respective descendants are removed from the line of succession to the Swedish throne.

If CP was truly asked to do this - and would be interested. It seems only logical that he would give up his and his descendants right to the Swedish throne.

I guess that would mean that Madeleine and her children would stay in the Swedish succession (and not be in line to both the Swedish and Estonian throne) - in this hypothetical situation.

Last edited:
I recall Edward was also offered the position by some. Seems some in Estonia would be happy to adopt a younger son as heir :flowers:

Well if CP was king of Estonia he wouldn't need to be in line for the Swedish throne anyways. Besides, with Estelle and Oscar, he isn't going to get close.

Never was going to happen, but funny to think of the what ifs anyways ?

I guess that would mean that Madeleine and her children would stay in the Swedish succession (and not be in line to both the Swedish and Estonian throne) - in this hypothetical situation.

Know hypothetical, but why would it effect Madeleine? It would just bump her up further in succession. I would assume the heirs to the Estonian throne would be his sons, not his sister and her kids.

Back
Top Bottom