Christening of Prince Alexander: September 9, 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bit earlier of an announcement for a September christening, but perhaps to do it before court goes on summer vacation.

His baptism is also in the same chapel as Madeleine's kids. It seems even more likely the christening will be more low key like Leonor and Nicolas', than Victoria's kids. Maybe a bit in between.

Last edited:
Well Expressen got it half right. It was right on the date but not on the venue. Alexander will be 10 days shy of 5 months old.

No royal godparents unless it's family.

Can we rule out royal godparents based on location alone :ermm:

I think it highly unlikely, unless ones related, but nothing announced yet.

A quick lock at the various Royal Calendars show that Queen Margrethe (Prince Carl Philip's godmother) as well as Crown Prince Haakon will probably not attend the christening of Prince Alexander. They both have other engagements.

Princesses Birgitta, Désirée and Christina will not attend at Alexander's christening. Princess Birgitta (godmother of Carl Philip) attends at the traditional golf competition with her name in Mallorca from Wednesday to Sunday, she says that of course it is boring but she can't be in two places at the same time.
Princess Désirée said first yes, but had to cancel. Princess Christina and Tord Magnuson are on a trip on Friday, Magnuson confirms to Expressen. Whether princess Margaretha attends is still unclear.
The court would not comment on if Princess Margaretha will attend the christening on Friday:
- We tell about who comes to baptism only on the morning of the baptism takes place, said director of the press department Margareta Thorgren.
Hagasessorna nobbar prins Alexanders dop _ Kungligt _ Expressen

Unfortunate the aunts won't be in attendance. Other than Birgitta it could not have been known ahead though. But sad none of his godparents, except perhaps Leopoldo, will be in attendance as margrethe doesn't look to be going. :sad:

Last edited:
Unfortunate the aunts won't be in attendance. Other than Birgitta it could not have been known ahead though. But sad nine of his godparents, except perhaps Leopoldo, will be in attendance as margrethe doesn't look to be going. :sad:

Will Alexander have any royal godparent ?

The godparents will be announced on Friday. There will be foreign royals attending the christening, but we do not know if any of them will be godparents.

I guess we will see the Crown Princess as godmother, then Prince Alexander of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, Prince Manuel of Bavaria, Lina Frejd and Carl Philips best men as godparents.

I guess we will see the Crown Princess as godmother, then Prince Alexander of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, Prince Manuel of Bavaria, Lina Frejd and Carl Philips best men as godparents.

Jan-Åke Hansson. I was thinking among the same lines. We'll see on Friday.

Foreign royals have been invited but have there been confirmation of who's coming? As for the Haga princesses not going, not all of them attended each baptism; but to let Expressen and SD tell it, it's a major scandal.

:previous: How about waiting for the official guest list that will most probably be published on the Christening day itself? As has been the case with the previous Christenings?

Scandal is where the tabloids want scandal. Let's just assume the family will have a nice and memorable day.

We can count Crown Princess Mary out, too, I think. She has an engagement at 4pm on Friday and I doubt she'd want to rush back after the christenings. I think Mary was the most likely member of the DRF to serve as godmother, so while there theoretically still could be Danish attendance, I sadly doubt we'll see a Danish royal godparent.

Does Madeleine have and royal godparents for her two children

Well, Crown Princess Victoria is godmother to Princess Leonore and Prince Carl Philip is godfather to Prince Nicolas, but their other godparents are non-royals.

We can count Crown Princess Mary out, too, I think. She has an engagement at 4pm on Friday and I doubt she'd want to rush back after the christenings. I think Mary was the most likely member of the DRF to serve as godmother, so while there theoretically still could be Danish attendance, I sadly doubt we'll see a Danish royal godparent.

presence at the christening is not an indicator of who will be a godparent. felipe of spain himself was chosen as godfather to danish twin vincent himself, yet couldn't be at the christening. so if they want mary to be a godmother, the fact that she isn't available to attend the christening would not be a problem.

:previous: Oh, I know. The whole speculation that Alexander might have a foreign royal godparent stems from the fact that the court implied that there will be European royal presence at his christening. While their long-term friendship made it logical for Mary and Frederik to make Felipe Vincent's godparent although he wasn't able to attend it, I don't think we can quite assume that there's the same kind of bond between CP and Sofia and e.g. Mary and Frederik.

No, other than her siblings which I never count as royal godparents as they are family and just happen to be royal. Madeleine and Chris each chose three godparents. Leonor has Chris's sister Tatiana, Natasha's husband Ernst, Chris's friend Alice Branford, Victoria, Patrick sommerlath and Madeleine's best friend Louise Gotlieb. Nicolas has Natasha, Tatyana's husband Henry, Chris's friend Marco, Gustaf magnuson, Carl Philip and Katrina Von horn.

Well well well, look at that. I like this list. I assume that Miss Cajsa Larsson is the mother of Sofia's goddaughter Tiara Larsson?
I looked up the guest list of the wedding and that is what I gamed together.

And I like that they have included her elder sister Lina and his best friend, Jan-Åke Hansson.

A first-timer for no Royal-or-titled-godparents-outside-the-family :flowers:

Last edited:
Well well well, look at that. I like this list. I assume that Miss Cajsa Larsson is the mother of Sofia's goddaughter Tiara Larsson?
I looked up the guest list of the wedding and that is what I gamed together.

And I like that they have included her elder sister Lina and his best friend, Jan-Åke Hansson.

A first-timer for no Royal-or-titled-godparents-outside-the-family :flowers:

No. Leonor and Nicolas have no royal godparents outside their aunt and uncle, so Alexander is definitely not a first.

When we were first guessing godparents I was pretty right. I said two eldest sisters, two friends (and guessed his best man which Jan was and speculated perhaps tiara's mother whose mother name I didn't know). And either a cousin or foreign royal, or both if six. For once I actually guessed right.

It seems the siblings were likely closest to Christina and her kids growing up. All three of Christina's sons have now served. Her eldest Gustaf is for Nicolas, her second Oscar is godfather to his namesake and now her youngest is to Alexander.

My one mistake was thinking the cousin would be Hubertus. I thought as a son of Carl Philips godmother, that the middle name Hubertus may be a nod to him as godfather.

No. Leonor and Nicolas have no royal godparents outside their aunt and uncle, so Alexander is definitely not a first.

When we were first guessing godparents I was pretty right. I said two eldest sisters, two friends (and guessed his best man which Jan was and speculated perhaps tiara's mother whose mother name I didn't know). And either a cousin or foreign royal, or both if six. For once I actually guessed right.

It seems the siblings were likely closest to Christina and her kids growing up. All three of Christina's sons have now served. Her eldest Gustaf is for Nicolas, her second Oscar is godfather to his namesake and now her youngest is to Alexander.

My one mistake was thinking the cousin would be Hubertus. I thought as a son of Carl Philips godmother, that the middle name Hubertus may be a nod to him as godfather.

I also said titled, and both Leonore and Nicolas have one titled godparent (Leonore has Count Ernst Abensperg und Traun and Nicolas has Countess Natascha Abensperg und Traun). I count Count and Countess as titled (however much the title may mean), so IMO yes, a first-timer.

The list gives me a good feeling, makes for an intimate setting.

Last edited:
I also said titled, and both Leonore and Nicolas have one titled godparent (Leonore has Count Ernst Abensperg und Traun and Nicolas has Countess Natascha Abensperg und Traun). I count Count and Countess as titled (however much the title may mean), so IMO yes, a first-timer.

The list gives me a good feeling, makes for an intimate setting.

What you said was no royals or titles outside the family. As Natasha is Chris's sister and Ernst his brother in law, they fall within the family category. So I stand by my, 'this is not the first' comment.

What you said was no royals or titles outside the family. As Natasha is Chris's sister and Ernst his brother in law, they fall within the family category. So I stand by my, 'this is not the first' comment.

I was only thinking of the Royal Family, I left the in-laws out. So in that respect you are right.
Seen from only the angle of the Royal Family (without the in-laws), this is a first-timer for no Royals or titled godparents. That makes me being right.

But this borders on nitpicking :D

Now it's awaiting the guest list.

Not surprised no foreign non family royal godparent. Alexander is fifth in line to the throne and CP & Sofia have no close royal friends.

I'm surprised that a reception for Alexander's christening was held on Aug.20 for CP & Sofia's friends. There's a reception after the christening tomorrow. Where they invited to the main event?

Back
Top Bottom