Christening of Prince Alexander: September 9, 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Last edited by a moderator:
Oscar agrees with me, his cousin has the cutest cherebum cheeks you just want to squeeze:) such a great pic.

I have always loved seeing car Philip with his nieces and nephews. It's do great seeing him with his own son. He is amazing with kids

Why not? I found it cute that Oscar and Alexander were together. As I saw Daniel was occupied by Estelle, who is at 4 still young, and Victoria held her baby maybe to be him so calm?
I thought the same that day too. Much as we all love our children and enjoy showing them off we have to be aware of when it's someone else's day to be the star of the show. Oscar was getting much the same attention as Alexander today which was a little unfair as the spotlight should have been firmly on his cousin. I think V should have been a bit more aware of that and let D hold Oscar for that reason.
Thank you for that information. Here at our Congregational church, a Protestant denomination, children stay with their parents. They are also taken to a nursery for at least half of the services. This is pretty common in most churches I've been to.
I love the way the SRF invites "us" to join "them" in family celebrations. Weddings and Baptisms are really important family occasions and the SRF behaves just like everyone else, keeping an eye on the kids, Madeleine probably hoping that Leonore won't flash her knickers and Victoria hoping that no chairs get tipped over. Perhaps Oscar and Alexander keep each other entertained because there is nothing worse than the guest of honour screaming throughout the service. But first and foremost, the children are a very important part of the family and that is where they belong.

Our church services are much the same as yours Frelinghighness but, if there is a baptism the children are brought back into the church and the Vicar calls them to stand by the Font so they can see and hear the whole Baptismal Service. But, in this case, that is what the entire service is about, so having all the kids there seems to me to be the obvious thing to do.

I think the thing we have to remember is that it is not a 'State Occasion' but rather a 'Family Celebration' that the SRF are happy to share with us . . . on their terms. Most of the other RF's don't share to that level.

This is so different from the British royal family where their christenings seem to be almost done in secrecy (except for P. Charlotte). I suppose the paparazzi is not as intrusive in places like Denmark and Sweden. Perhaps if the BRF were more open to releasing pictures or having videos released, the public wouldn't be so interested in always wanting more.

I must say that the gladioli behind the altar were a gorgeous display of rich colour - beautiful coral and apricot tones!

It was a nice ceremony with many lovely moments

- Alexander and Oscar playing together
- Estelle and Leonore sitting on the same chair. It didn't last long, of course :lol:, but still that was cute
- Alexander not letting go of the primate and the king's fingers
- Victoria fixing the sash that her nephew was trying to eat :lol:

And not a cute moment itself, but it's amazing how great Marianne Bernadotte and Dagmar von Arbin look at 95 and 100 years old, respectively.

And not a cute moment itself, but it's amazing how great Marianne Bernadotte and Dagmar von Arbin look at 95 and 100 years old, respectively.

Marianne Bernadotte is 92 years old. It was lovely to see Marianne and Dagmar, and to see the First Lady of the Court, Anna Hamilton helping Marianne and queen Silvia's lady-in-waiting Harriet Bredelius helping Dagmar.
Dagmar and Marianne
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image

Cute photo of Victoria and Daniel, a pity that Estelle can't be seen
https://www.instagram.com/p/BKJlwakAYAV/?tagged=prinsdaniel
Daniel and Estelle
https://www.instagram.com/p/BKK3EBgA9K9/?tagged=prinsdaniel

Last edited:
Almost every monarchy invites the media for a broadcast of their royal baptisms. But usually only for children of the Heir, not so -like in Sweden- for all grandchildren of the monarch. The baptisims of Princess Elisabeth of Belgium, Princess Ingrid Alexandra of Norway, Princess Catharina-Amalia of the Netherlands, Prince Christian of Denmark and Infanta Doña Leonor as well their siblings were shown on national television.

But in the one country they make a lot of fuzzz about it and in the other less. For an example in the one neighbouring country (Belgium) the baptism of Princess Elisabeth was done in a little chapel on the secluded royal domain of Château de Ciergnon. This was showed on the News. In the other neighbouring country (Netherlands) the biggest church in the royal residence was used for the baptism of Princess Catharina-Amalia. This was broadcast live.

The UK indeed seems the only one not to allow TV-cameras and the Swedes are the other end of the spectrum: showing ALL royal baptisms.

:previous:

I do not remember that the baptism of Princess Elisabeth was broadcasted on the Belgian television. There was a very short clip in the news but that was all. IIRC it was the same for Leonor.

Last edited:
I can remember Eugenie of York being the last straw for the delicate BRF christening gown that was made for Queen Victoria's first child. Eugenie wasn't christened for months as her father was away at sea. A replica had to be made for the next Royal baby. The bigger and chubbier the baby the more risk of potential damage to fragile little garments, I guess.

IIRC it was Lady Louise Windsor who was the last wearer of the Victorian christening robe and her brother Lord Severn the first wearer of the new.

It looked like a lovely christening

I do not remember that the baptism of Princess Elisabeth was broadcasted on the Belgian television. Therewas a very short clip in the news but that was all. IIRC it was the same for Leonor.

Yes, no direct broadcast but at least a camera was allowed. That was not the case with the British baptisms, I believe.

Last edited:

I do not remember that the baptism of Princess Elisabeth was broadcasted on the Belgian television. Therewas a very short clip in the news but that was all. IIRC it was the same for Leonor.

I don't think Infanta Leonor's baptism was televised either.

King Carl Gustaf really overdoes it by having public, televised christenings for all his grandchildren however removed they are from the throne.

Duc et Pair, thanks for the information on the C of A. The heartshield is suppose to show the person's roots like Daniel's? When Sofia's comes out get ready for the internet memes.

King Carl Gustaf really overdoes it by having public, televised christenings for all his grandchildren however removed they are from the throne.

Don't know if it's all K.C-G's doing, but on a side-note: having known as a child and young adult what it's like to have a very very small line of succession, i bet the king is very relieved at his flourishing offspring :flowers:

In Denmark tlso all christenings of Queen Margrethe's grandchildren where live televised.
And i don't think it is the decision of King Carl Gustaf to televise them live but from svt.

Apparently sveriges tv has an interest to broadcast and the King had no objection. It is indeed a bit much, and all so grand too. All with ducal title, seraphim and the whole bimbam. And that while they all really will lead non-royal lifestyles, earning their own money and pretty far from the throne. When Estelle gets children, all her children will become Princes, Princesses, Dukes and Duchesses too... It will be crowded! I have a bit a Belgian dé-ja vu feeling with unlimited royal expansion...

Apparently sveriges tv has an interest to broadcast and the King had no objection. It is indeed a bit much, and all so grand too. All with ducal title, seraphim and the whole bimbam. And that while they all really will lead non-royal lifestyles, earning their own money and pretty far from the throne. When Estelle gets children, all her children will become Princes, Princesses, Dukes and Duchesses too... It will be crowded! I have a bit a Belgian dé-ja vu feeling with unlimited royal expansion...

The children of Mr. O´Neil, who himself refused a princely or ducal title, being Prince/sses, Dukes/Duchesses is, from my point of view, ridiculous which, when I first learned about it, didn´t believe!
I strongly believe the old policy used for the (commoner) children of the King´s sisters should definitely had been kept!

I recall SVT initially did not plan to broadcast Prince Nicolas' christening due to expense or enough royal programming last year. The SRF was surprised and bits of the christening would have been part of the "Royal year" review show until SVT changed its mind.

Not sure about Madeleine, but Chris O'Neill would have been OK with their kids being plain Leonore and Nicolas O'Neill. Their title and royal status may sort itself out in the future. They may marry without government consent or if they want to work for commercial companies. A clear policy on titles should be in place though. King CG's anxiety about succession is creating an awkward situation that CP Victoria will have to figure out later.

Back on topic, Prince Alexander's christening was lovely. Adorable kids. Sartorially, the ladies' outfits were mostly misses for me. Headbands and matronly ensembles, urg.

:previous: Watching these Baptisms is a privilege and, should SVT decide not to film them in the future, exactly the same thing will happen. The service itself and the standard of dress would remain unchanged because for them it is a family occasion.

I like the setting and color scheme for the official photos. Sometimes I think the Court has chosen a background that's much too dark.

The pics are just nice. Nothing special and with too much photoshop as it was for all the previous christening photos.

I recall SVT initially did not plan to broadcast Prince Nicolas' christening due to expense or enough royal programming last year. The SRF was surprised and bits of the christening would have been part of the "Royal year" review show until SVT changed its mind.

Not sure about Madeleine, but Chris O'Neill would have been OK with their kids being plain Leonore and Nicolas O'Neill. Their title and royal status may sort itself out in the future. They may marry without government consent or if they want to work for commercial companies. A clear policy on titles should be in place though. King CG's anxiety about succession is creating an awkward situation that CP Victoria will have to figure out later.

Back on topic, Prince Alexander's christening was lovely. Adorable kids. Sartorially, the ladies' outfits were mostly misses for me. Headbands and matronly ensembles, urg.

If Nicolas and Leonore are not raised in Sweden, they will lose their succession rights under the current Act of Succession. In the past,when Carl Gustaf's uncles for example were excluded from the line of succession, they also lost the title of "prince of Sweden" . It is unclear if the same rule would apply to Leonore and Nicolas.

I agree with you though that Sweden should have a law on membership of the Royal Family to clarify who is entitled to become a prince/princess of Sweden or not and avoid an inflation of princes over multiple generations. In Belgium, that is now regulated by Royal Decree with ministerial countersignature. Since the King of Sweden, however, can no longer issue royal decrees, the only way to regulate membership of the royal family, other than leaving it to the King's pleasure, would be by an act of parliament, as it is done BTW also in the Netherlands. I suspect though that this issue is not a priority at the moment for the Swedish government and that is probably why no specific legislation has been proposed or introduced yet.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom