The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-09-2016, 08:49 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
According to the godparents list it's Miss Larson, so she is not married. And yes, she is Tiara Larsson's mother.

We are both satisfied with the choice of godparents - what is this world coming to? (You know what I mean)

I wouldn't necessarily call it high or low profile (although I suppose that, had there been a Royal or titled person outside the family, the "too high profile" accusations would fly again), but these people are clearly the ones they feel comfortable with to serve as Alexander's godparents. I think it's a nice group.

Prins Alexanders dop | SVT Play

I think mine was simply a typo. I really didn't bother looking for "Mrs" or "Ms", no that it matter anyway.

Ans yes, I am satisfied for the "low key" choice for once. I can be very objective, too, even about Sofia.

I think they did a good choice and went for siblings, relatives and friends who they are close to.

Now, if they had chosen royals only for the sake of appeance, it would have bothered me. But they chose people they are intimate with.

Old 09-09-2016, 08:57 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by crm2317 View Post
Could the gun salute have been a nod to Carl Philips naval career?
I think it is exactly that. But then again we cannot be sure since the papers say the king has been actively involved in the planning of this christening (something I don't recall reading with his other grandchildren) and made this request.

Old 09-09-2016, 09:49 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catharina View Post
I think it is exactly that. But then again we cannot be sure since the papers say the king has been actively involved in the planning of this christening (something I don't recall reading with his other grandchildren) and made this request.
You are right. It was probably some court or military etiquette as Carl Philip is a high ranking military himself (wich Victoria and Madeleine is not but Victoria will be as Queen).

I remember the King was very actively involved in Estelle's christening too (chaired all planning meetings, in Church for all rehearsals etc)
Old 09-09-2016, 09:58 AM
Courtier

About the salute: yes, I saw an interview with a high ranking military that participated in the salutation. The king asked for this as a gift to Carl Philip, since CP is a high ranking military officer. So it was for him, not perhaps so much for Alexander.
Old 09-09-2016, 10:02 AM
Heir Apparent

The whole ceremony was fine to me. Maybe a bit too quiet as none of the kids were turbolent.

Outfits definitely underwhelming.
Old 09-09-2016, 10:20 AM
Serene Highness

I wish V hadn't held in Oscar throughout the service. It took some of the limelight off Alexander as my eyes were being drawn to both babies. It would have been a little bit more considerate to have had Daniel hold him for at least part of the service I think.
Old 09-09-2016, 10:23 AM
Courtier

Here's the official news and pictures from the Court. No english version published yet. Prins Alexanders dop - Sveriges Kungahus
Old 09-09-2016, 10:24 AM
Commoner

Why not? I found it cute that Oscar and Alexander were together. As I saw Daniel was occupied by Estelle, who is at 4 still young, and Victoria held her baby maybe to be him so calm?

George R. R. Martin: "A Dance With Dragons"
Old 09-09-2016, 10:24 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie25 View Post
I wish V hadn't held in Oscar throughout the service. It took some of the limelight off Alexander as my eyes were being drawn to both babies. It would have been a little bit more considerate to have had Daniel hold him for at least part of the service I think.

Well, the same could have been said for Oscar's christening as Madeleine held in her amrs Leonore, and she was amongst the goparents, too.
Old 09-09-2016, 10:29 AM
Heir Apparent

I thought it was charming when the babies reached to each other etc.

LaRae
Old 09-09-2016, 10:31 AM
Majesty

alexander is a sweet baby. i think he looks a lot like sofia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Verseau View Post
The guest list: no major foreign royals and Sofia's mentor Barbro. Are any of her friends from her reality show days on the list?
i am not surprised that there aren't foreign royals, but i am surprised that sofia's 'mentor' is not there. how strange.

Quote:
Alexander's coat of arms: it looks similar to CP's. Sofia has been in the SRF for 15 months and she still doesn't have her own C of A.
i didn't know sofia didn't receive a coat of arms. that's truly strange. i assume daniel has one at least?

interesting to see in this video that sofia drives herself to the christening rehearsal... and there seems to be little security around her.

Alexander von Schweden: Der Countdown zur Taufe läuft! | BUNTE.de
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 09-09-2016, 11:22 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty91charmed View Post
Well, the same could have been said for Oscar's christening as Madeleine held in her amrs Leonore, and she was amongst the goparents, too.
I thought the same that day too. Much as we all love our children and enjoy showing them off we have to be aware of when it's someone else's day to be the star of the show. Oscar was getting much the same attention as Alexander today which was a little unfair as the spotlight should have been firmly on his cousin. I think V should have been a bit more aware of that and let D hold Oscar for that reason.
Old 09-09-2016, 11:26 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie25 View Post
I thought the same that day too. Much as we all love our children and enjoy showing them off we have to be aware of when it's someone else's day to be the star of the show. Oscar was getting much the same attention as Alexander today which was a little unfair as the spotlight should have been firmly on his cousin. I think V should have been a bit more aware of that and let D hold him for that reason.

I think that Alexander was totally under the spotlight! He even got too much of a tribute from the King, but I know and understand where you are coming from.

I generally like children at the christenings as they are joyful family gatherings, and the swedish royal family gift us often with such treats!
Old 09-09-2016, 12:42 PM
Commoner

It was a surprisingly calm event considering how many small children were attending (among them Leonore, the wild child). Very intimate and family orientated. And how cute were Oscar and Alexander when they were reaching to each other! Nice to hear traditionals hymns that are also used here in Finland in christenings and other children related events.
Old 09-09-2016, 12:46 PM
Imperial Majesty

Galleries
Prince Alexander's christening - Images _ Robin Utrecht _ Photoshelter
Christening of Prince Alexander of Sweden, 09-09-2016 - Images _ Bernard Rübsamen

Alexander got as christening present from the government and parliament 54 children's books, about the same amount than Leonore and Nicolas. Oscar got 75 books and Estelle 200 books and a bookshelf.
http://www.regeringen.se/pressmeddel...-och-regering/
Old 09-09-2016, 12:52 PM
Courtier

I would like to add a general thing about baptisms. I've been working in the swedish church for several years, and I've been to quite a lot of baptisms. In the swedish lutheran church, baptisms are usually frequented by other children in younger ages along with their parents. This also means that the kids can walk around the church and interact with other peopled during the ceremony, and that people - including the clergy - are used to this. My perception is that they are very much more laid back affairs than catholic baptisms. That doesn't mean that they are better or worse - just different.
Old 09-09-2016, 12:52 PM
Heir Apparent

What another gift the srf has given us. A real family occasion, with so many little children. I always love a boy choir, how appropriate and enchanting. The traditional hymns were lovely, and the arch bishop is also such a gift, I wish she was my minister! The only complaint that was the gown was a little too open in back, sor Sofia,s sake it should have been loosely basted for,the ceremony. What an adorable, chubby and happy baby. The two baby cousins together was priceless

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenobia View Post
I would like to add a general thing about baptisms. I've been working in the swedish church for several years, and I've been to quite a lot of baptisms. In the swedish lutheran church, baptisms are usually frequented by other children in younger ages along with their parents. This also means that the kids can walk around the church and interact with other peopled during the ceremony, and that people - including the clergy - are used to this. My perception is that they are very much more laid back affairs than catholic baptisms. That doesn't mean that they are better or worse - just different.
Thank you for that information. Here at our Congregational church, a Protestant denomination, children stay with their parents. They are also taken to a nursery for at least half of the services. This is pretty common in most churches I've been to
Old 09-09-2016, 12:59 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Verseau View Post
The guest list: no major foreign royals and Sofia's mentor Barbro. Are any of her friends from her reality show days on the list?

Alexander's coat of arms: it looks similar to CP's. Sofia has been in the SRF for 15 months and she still doesn't have her own C of A.

As for the succession issue: the king has planned a 2nd salute (not done before) and a nod to CP. I don't think he has let it go.
All royal coat of arms in Sweden look similar. In Quarter III there are the Arms of the Dukedom.

The Royal Coat of Arms is (picture):
I and IV = the three Crowns of Sweden
II and III = the House of Vasa
Heartshield = the House of Bernadotte

All other royal coats-of-arms have the same systematic as the King's coat of arms except for quarter III:
Victoria has the Arms of the Duchy of Västergötland in quarter III.
Estelle has the Arms of the Duchy of Östergötland in quarter III.
Oskar has the Arms of the Duchy of Skåne in quarter III.
Carl Philip has the Arms of the Duchy of Värmland in quarter III.
Etc.

Princess Lilian has been given an own coat of arms, so I expect once Princess Sofia will get one as well, we will see.