Carl Philip's Photo Exhibition in Helsinki, Finland: November 1, 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I assume these were exhibited before in Stockholm? Did he exhibit them to raise money for charity? It must be embarrasing for him to have his own pictures exhibited more for his background than the quality of the pictures.

The pictures looked very nice of course, but there are a lot of talented photographers around who don´t get these opportunities.

He's looking REAL good in those pictures,never heard him talk before,sounds good too.

I assume these were exhibited before in Stockholm? Did he exhibit them to raise money for charity? It must be embarrasing for him to have his own pictures exhibited more for his background than the quality of the pictures.

The pictures looked very nice of course, but there are a lot of talented photographers around who don´t get these opportunities.
Why should he be embarrassed?? Everyone who's seen the exhibit can surely see he's a skilled photographer. Not a professional like his mentor, but still a highly skilled one who's one snap under that level (Klum has said he has some things to improve, mainly techinical stuff, and then he could become even better). Prince Carl Philip has every right to be proud of his work and he surely is, at leat he's said he's very happy with the outcome.

The photographs are really good, he's been commended for his skills by many professional photographers as well as his sort of mentor Mattias Klum (one of the world's best nature photographers, assigned to National Geographic) who they initially tried to attach to the project (it was connected to the Linné Jubilee and it was the first time the Botanical Gardens in Uppsala were documented in photographs like this). I don't think it's only flatter, I'm not a photographic expert but I was at the opening last spring (you can read about it here) and was really impressed by the photographs, as were many of the professional press photographers I talked too.

Why should he be embarrassed?? Everyone who's seen the exhibit can surely see he's a skilled photographer. Not a professional like his mentor, but still a highly skilled one who's one snap under that level (Klum has said he has some things to improve, mainly techinical stuff, and then he could become even better). Prince Carl Philip has every right to be proud of his work and he surely is, at leat he's said he's very happy with the outcome.

The photographs are really good, he's been commended for his skills by many professional photographers as well as his sort of mentor Mattias Klum (one of the world's best nature photographers, assigned to National Geographic) who they initially tried to attach to the project (it was connected to the Linné Jubilee and it was the first time the Botanical Gardens in Uppsala were documented in photographs like this). I don't think it's only flatter, I'm not a photographic expert but I was at the opening last spring (you can read about it here) and was really impressed by the photographs, as were many of the professional press photographers I talked too.

I agree that his photos are good, but there are many good photographers, even better photographers than CP that will never get an opportunity like this, esp. not in such an early stage of their carreer. So it is obvious that the main reason that he could open the exhibition in Finland is that he is a son of the Swedish King. So with that in mind it could be a bit embarrasing for yourself. But as you said he has every reason to be proud of his photos, as they are well done and if the pictures would be average or worse they would never have exhibited in the first place. And art exhibitions like this are a long royal tradition in Europe, though that was usually done for charity (like Princess Maria of Belgium, Css of Flanders who exhibited her sketches to get attention for the position of women as an artist).

Last edited:
In a way I think that Carl-Philip having an exhibition abroad is two-fold. It is what seems to be his chosen past-time outside his royal duties, but at the same time it is also advertising for Sweden which ties into him being a Swedish royal. With the motive of the exhibit being Swedish, it also merges the two aspects - CP the photographer and CP the Swedish royal. The stage of the exhibit is a Finnish-Swedish centre of culture.

Queen Sonja has had her own photographs of Norway exhibited, and was heavily critizised for that, because she is not a professional - and certain photographers in Norway felt that there were Norwegian photographers who could use the "airtime" instead.

Carl Philip, on the other hand, is educated in the area, and the photos I've seen are nothing to be embarrassed by. One would certainly hope that if they had been, that he would be self-aware enough, or have advisors who advised against exhibiting it.

I think it will be interesting to see where he will end up going with photographing, if he moves into making it a huge part of his life, as Prince Eugen did with his painting - and it is much better for his family that he's photographing flowers and gardens than joining the ranks of the paparazzi :ROFLMAO:

Well, I actually didn´t mean he had to be embarrased by his pictures, not at all! They look good and I am sure he deserves all the praise that he gets. The emberrasment comment was about the prominent place his pictures receive so quickly, which isn´t due to his merits as photographer only.
Anyway, the ´promoting Sweden´ is an interesting angle.

Of course he is getting more attention than the guy/girl next door that may also be an excellent photographer. That is simply the way life works. If you are known and/or famous for anything you will simply get more opportunities. But remember Carl Philip comes from a very artistic family with painters and designers of very substantial capabilities. He has chosen a career just like his younger sister and will work at a regular job in addition to his royal duties. I believe we are seeing a great artist in the making and the beginning of great future accomplishments. He is rightfully getting attention even though there are many more experienced photographers that will never be famous. That inequity is reality in all segments of our lives and in society.

He is good looking, but he desperatly needs a haircut, he looks so much better with short hair like he had back in 2001 at the Silver wedding of his parents, he should go back to such an short hairstyle imo.

He is good looking, but he desperatly needs a haircut, he looks so much better with short hair like he had back in 2001 at the Silver wedding of his parents, he should go back to such an short hairstyle imo.

That´s what i think...

That´s what i think...

Agreed...nothing against some longer curly Mc Dreamy hair, but that it is in the back so long and tamed with all this hair gel and hair wax, isn´t my thing really.
And I guess these hair products and long hair are also the reason for his bad skin these days. Talking about blocked pores.
When his hair was short, his skin was better.

has he shown his photos in other countries
is it Exhibitioned somewhere now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom