The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-23-2008, 06:48 PM

Carl Philip's Language Skills

Hi, I'm new to the forum and I didn't know where else to ask this but is there any video or audio clips of Prince Carl talking in English? I was just curious

Old 01-24-2008, 10:50 PM
Aristocracy

I've always wondered what he would sound like speaking English.

Old 02-13-2008, 05:27 PM

Carl Philip speaking German

Hej, hej,

I am just wondering if someone of you knows links to videos where Carl Philip is speaking German? I would be very interested in how he sounds.
Old 02-14-2008, 08:08 AM
Aristocracy

I didn't even know he spoke German!
Old 02-14-2008, 10:27 AM

I heard that he speaks it a little bit but not really good. And I once heard that he gave a short interview in German for a German TV kanal (ARD). But I couldn't find any video. So therefore i found maybe someone would know a link.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:40 AM
Courtier

Did Silvia and Carl Gustav raise their children speaking 2 languages? German and Swedish? Or did they learn it later (in school)?
Old 02-14-2008, 01:26 PM
Gentry

They was taught so they could talk with their grandparents.
Old 04-12-2008, 06:58 PM
Nobility

Silvia said in an interview from 2000something (don't remember) that she raised them speaking only Swedish because she was told it might confuse the children if they were bilingual.

As far as I know they learnt German later.
Victoria speaks quite good German, but Carl Philip's isn't so great. I heard him in the ARD-interview, too.
Whatever comes, she said, cannot alter one thing. If I am a princess in rags and tatters, I can be a princess inside. It would be easy to be a princess if I were dressed in cloth of gold, but it is a great deal more of a triumpf to be one all the time when no one knows it. (F.Hogdson Burnett)
Old 03-08-2009, 01:56 AM
Commoner

I know there have been discussions on this before (I just can't find any) but how well does CP speak English? Didn't he attend school in America when he was younger?

Thanks!
Old 03-08-2009, 07:46 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by qisabella View Post
I know there have been discussions on this before (I just can't find any) but how well does CP speak English? Didn't he attend school in America when he was younger?

Thanks!
Carl Philip has studied in America, both in mid-90´s when he attended Kent high school and last year when he studied at Rhode Island school of design. So he should be speaking very good english (just as a majority of the swedes)

Quote:
Silvia said in an interview from 2000something (don't remember) that she raised them speaking only Swedish because she was told it might confuse the children if they were bilingual.
I think she was talking about portuguese, that she did not want to have a "secret language" with the children that their father couldn´t understand. I´m sure the King speaks german so that should not be a problem... and I think they had special homeeducation in german when they were kids.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:42 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yennie View Post
Carl Philip has studied in America, both in mid-90´s when he attended Kent high school and last year when he studied at Rhode Island school of design. So he should be speaking very good english (just as a majority of the swedes)

I think she was talking about portuguese, that she did not want to have a "secret language" with the children that their father couldn´t understand. I´m sure the King speaks german so that should not be a problem... and I think they had special homeeducation in german when they were kids.
The same King is half german, since his mother was german; so I think he can speak german...
Old 06-22-2009, 12:16 AM
Gentry

Location: Her Royal Highness lives in Beverly Hills California, United States
Video of Prince Carl Philip speaking English at the Gothenburg City Race June 2009:

Old 06-22-2009, 03:00 PM
Commoner

Thank you for the video! He speaks english very well - although I suppose that is not too surprising.
Old 06-27-2009, 05:27 PM
Gentry

Your welcome gisabella. I also think he speaks english very well. He sounds very American there's barely a hint of an accent.
Old 06-27-2009, 11:27 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Mia View Post
Your welcome gisabella. I also think he speaks english very well. He sounds very American there's barely a hint of an accent.
His English isn't accentless, he speaks English with an accent, an American accent! Listen carefully one of the words he says he pronounces it in a British English (Queen's English version) way. (When asked about how he got interested in racing) Considering he did part of his high schooling in the US it's not surprising he speaks English with an American accent.
Old 06-28-2009, 03:23 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte1 View Post
His English isn't accentless, he speaks English with an accent, an American accent! Listen carefully one of the words he says he pronounces it in a British English (Queen's English version) way. (When asked about how he got interested in racing) Considering he did part of his high schooling in the US it's not surprising he speaks English with an American accent.
Charlotte1, there's no need to dissect every little thing I'm saying. I'm American, so of course I heard his "American" accent. Other countries accents are more noticeable. Of course I heard when he said "fast cars". I think it's wonderful. PCP switching up his accents just shows all the places he's had the privilege of visiting.

I know many people from Europe, Asia, Africa and the Caribbean who study and live here in the US and still have their countries accent. So it was very surprising to hear him speak English just like an American. Nothing is wrong with that.
Old 06-28-2009, 08:40 PM
Commoner

It is really all just relative. I am also American, so I think, "Oh wow he has no accent." In general I am always amazed at how well all Scandanavians speak English; not just their vocabulary or mastery of the language but by their lack of a strong vernacular accent (does that make sense?) unlike Germans or French.

BTW...are you from Beverly Hills Princess Mia? I grew up there.
Old 06-29-2009, 11:03 AM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

I hear a combination of American, British, and Swedish influences in his accent. But regardless, he speaks the language well and very clearly. Thanks for the video!

"I have to be seen to be believed."
HM The Queen
Old 07-03-2009, 12:17 PM
Commoner

his sister the crown princess victoria has american accent , she went to private school there
Old 07-03-2009, 07:36 PM
Courtier

Location: Trust me you've never heard of it..., United States
Wow, I was surprised at how very American he sounds. I didn't hear any British at all just American with a every so tiny bit of Swedish. I'm very impressed. But, I'm always impressed by the European polyglots.