Carl Philip Inherits Estate: August 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Marengo

Administrator
Site Team
City
São Paulo
Country
Brazil
Apparently Prince Carl-Philip has inherited a farm in Källviken:

Article in Swedish here.

I don't know by whom though. The farm is being renovated.

Courtesy: Torbjorn at the SRMB

It was now explained on the SRMB that the farm was left to the Prince by one Bertil Jonsen, who recently died childless at age 82. A former naval officer who was a friend of King Carl Gustav.

Will be interesting to see if Carl-Philip and Emma will live there. I could very well think that they will, it´s a very beautiful place and it´s quite close to Stockholm and also to Tullgarn Castle

I'm glad it's a big place,that way CP can have me over for the weekend.

Expressen Extra wrote about Carl Philip inheriting Ökenäs in this week's issue, Stoppa pressarna quotes it:
After Bertil Jonsén's dead his will from March 21 1996 was found. It said clearly that the property, in addition to the farm Ökenäs included the shares, art and a condominium in Lidingö, would accrue to his "shipmate" Prince Carl Philip. Carl Philip and Jonsén met at the king's boat in the 1990's.
The information from the will created both confusion and anger with a family who stood Jonsén very close and were the ones who took care of him during the end of his life he spent in the apartment on Lidingö. They had been convinced that the properties would be given to them and were therefore disconcerted when they not received a penny of the more than 18 million SEK. And as the testament was written as early as the mid-1990s, they hoped that newer versions would be found.
But once again they were disappointed - no other wills were found. And it was lucky that Prince Carl Philip and Sofia can most likely escape to the house every time they get tired of Stockholm intense pulse.
Sanningen om prins Carl Philips gård Ökenäs i Trosa Stoppa Pressarna

I can understand that that other family isn't thrilled, but it seems all fair-and-square, Mr.Jonsen probably liked the prince very well to leave him an entire house..

"The information from the will created both confusion and anger with a family who stood Jonsén very close and were the ones who took care of him during the end of his life he spent in the apartment on Lidingö. They had been convinced that the properties would be given to them and were therefore disconcerted when they not received a penny of the more than 18 million SEK."

One has to wonder if their "kindness" was truly sincere OR was due to what they hoped to receive. Sadly, too often "kindness" in these cases is not truly kindness but selfishness.

The Prince is the new generation in the main line of the House Bernadotte, seen from the traditional (male) lineage. He already inherited possessions like Solbacken Estate. Now he has inherited Ökenäs Estate. As the new Bernadotte he (and his future wife) will be entitled to the usufruct of properties placed into the Bernadotte Foundation. He is quite a man in bonus.

The Prince is the new generation in the main line of the House Bernadotte, seen from the traditional (male) lineage. He already inherited possessions like Solbacken Estate. Now he has inherited Ökenäs Estate. As the new Bernadotte he (and his future wife) will be entitled to the usufruct of properties placed into the Bernadotte Foundation. He is quite a man in bonus.

That might change since the royal family has placed a request to the swedish governement to change the statues of amongst others the Galliera foundation (set down by Napoleon) so that the recipient will always be the monarch instead of the oldest son (which used to be the same person until the new order of succession of 1980).

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

He didn't inherit Ökenäs now, but in 2008. It is an old story. Of course it is quite strange that someone leaves a big fortune to a prince that he has met only a couple of times, when Carl Philip was a minor.
And prince Bertil left Villa Solbacken to Carl Philip, because Carl Philip was his godson. And because prince Bertil and princess Lilian didn't have children of their own, Carl Philip was like a son of their own. Such as Victoria and Madeleine were very close to them. Prince Bertil bought Villa Solbacken in 1947.

Last edited:
I can not imagine that Prince Carl Philip, when engaging into an approved marriage and remaining in the line of succession, will be closed out of the Bernadotte Foundation. It will depend on the precize (new) arrangements made around that.

:previous: So Victoria gets the crown and he gets the family money and jewellery?

I can not imagine that Prince Carl Philip, when engaging into an approved marriage and remaining in the line of succession, will be closed out of the Bernadotte Foundation. It will depend on the precize (new) arrangements made around that.

Here is a very good summary from 2012, when the king decided to make a proposal that the Galliera inheritance, which consists of an exquisite art collection and a financial fund, would go to Crown Princess Victoria. According to the press reports Carl Philip had agreed to this.
Trond Norén Isaksen Prince Carl Philip renounces Galliera inheritance

That is a very gentle attitude by the Prince. He could have said nothing and claim his undisputed rights. With giving this up, he is also giving up wealth and an unbelievable collection for his descendants. Most likely a "nice arrangement" has been made to compensate his loss. This about the Galliera arrangement. There are other arrangements, like the Bernadotte Foundation, so all of these have to be adapted.

The information from the will created both confusion and anger with a family who stood Jonsén very close and were the ones who took care of him during the end of his life he spent in the apartment on Lidingö.
Sanningen om prins Carl Philips gård Ökenäs i Trosa Stoppa Pressarna

Can't the family contest the will in the Swedish courts ? Carl Philip should actually give up the farm and return it to the family. As a prince of Sweden, he doesn't need another estate.

Can't the family contest the will in the Swedish courts ? Carl Philip should actually give up the farm and return it to the family. As a prince of Sweden, he doesn't need another estate.

I think the point is that the family referred to, is not the the family of the deceased himself (he had no wife and children); the family took care of Mr. Jonsen in his later years and believed (whether they were led to believe is another matter) that they would be remembered in Mr. Jonsen's will...
There is no case of "returning the farm to the family" because there is no actual family to return it to.
It was Mr Jonsen's to leave as he saw fit, and apparently he took a liking to P.C-P big enough to leave him the estate.

I don't know the inheritance laws in Sweden, but imo the case is pretty set.

The fact that the benefactor of a testament is a Prince and a man in well-to-do circumstances is of no any importance for the inheritance. In 2009 a rich Spaniard left 30 million Euro (around 40 million US Dollar). The fortuned Don Juan Ignacio Balade Llabrés from Ciudadella (island of Menorca) had no direct family and decided to leave half of his fortune to Don Felipe de Borbón, then the Prince of Asturias, and the other half to charities. It seems the gentleman had never ever met any member of the Spanish royal family but was a staunch monarchist. Besides the money, he also left estates, houses and companies on the Bealaric Islands.

:flowers:

Last edited:
That is a very gentle attitude by the Prince. He could have said nothing and claim his undisputed rights. With giving this up, he is also giving up wealth and an unbelievable collection for his descendants. Most likely a "nice arrangement" has been made to compensate his loss. This about the Galliera arrangement. There are other arrangements, like the Bernadotte Foundation, so all of these have to be adapted.

I think that Carl Philip wasn't nice at all, he showed a little wisdom and understood without any compensation, that the Galliera collection belongs always the throne. The times had changed and Carl Philip had already been 32 years a prince, not a crown prince. Like the king's solicitor said in 2012: "The property has a great historical and national interest and it is important that the collection follows the throne".
Kungen vill att Victoria ska få ärva konstskatt Nyheter Expressen

I think that Carl Philip wasn't nice at all, he showed a little wisdom and understood without any compensation, that the Galliera collection belongs always the throne. The times had changed and Carl Philip had already been 32 years a prince, not a crown prince. Like the king's solicitor said in 2012: "The property has a great historical and national interest and it is important that the collection follows the throne".
Kungen vill att Victoria ska få ärva konstskatt Nyheter Expressen

From my understanding in 1963 the Swedish Government ended the legality of fideï-commis arrangements (inheritances which benefact a certain person, for an example the eldest son only) because it was infringing with the general rule that all children have the right on an equal share. For some existing arrangements however a governmental resolution was passed that exempted these from the abolition of fideï-commis. In 1964 such an exemption was made for the Galliera collection. Back then the most clever thing to do. When Crown Prince Carl Philip lost his position, nobody has really made too much of a fuss about it.

This Government could, for an example, withdraw the exemption of the Galliera collection but then the assets would be inherited equally by children of the Swedish King, and then equally by their issue, etc. etc. and so fragmentate completely. Joséphine de Beauharnais, daughter of the Duke of Leuchtenberg received the collection as a gift, together with the conditions for inheritance, a long time before she would become a Swedish royal by marriage. The option of going to the Court of Justice with the argument that "to the heirs male" really was intended: "to the Sovereign of Sweden" is without any chance of success, because it quite obviously was not intended that way when the Italian-born daughter of a French noble with a Bavarian title received this gift.

A possibility would be that the Government ends the arrangement of 1964, the King then donates it to the State of Sweden with the condition that the usufruct remains with the Sovereign. However, under such circumstances, when Sweden becomes a republic, the collection would go to the State. Another difficult situation is that Prince Carl Philip was not only stripped from his birthright on the throne but now would then be stripped from another birthright , on the Galliera collection, as he is the sole, clear and intended benefactor of the original arrangement.

So turn it to the left, or turn it to the right: the cooperation of Prince Carl Philip for this arrangement is always required. The fact that he has given his consent to ensure that his eldest sister can have the usufruct of the Galliera collection is wonderful. You seem to diminish this but the feuds, fights, lawsuits and bitter relationships amongst royal and noble families about inheritances are uncountable. With his gentlemanly and responsible behaviour Prince Carl Philip has favoured his sister and the Royal House very much. Of course.... as I already said, he will have arranged a fair compensation for abstaining all the rights on this priceless collection for himself and his future descendants.

:flowers:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom