Carl Philip and Sofia's Wedding: Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know she wore a skin tight, short, red dress with a full zip up the back for the engagement photos, which I considered to be clingy/revealing and tacky, But thats JMHO of course:flowers: Did you think that was a good choice?

Yes it was perfect choice in my opinion!

For the wedding dress I'm sure that she will be beautifully dressed. Sofia has a great body and is very pretty and will make an astonishing bride in June. And most likely she will get good advise from her future sisters, and mother-in-law

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes it was perfect choice in my opinion!

OK, then perhaps you and I have a different opinion of what is suitable, especially for an extremely publically 'unsuitable girl', to wear for an engagement announcement when she was trying to make her past , which was EVERYWHERE, less conspicuous. JMHO of course.

I know she wore a skin tight, short, red dress with a full zip up the back for the engagement photos, which I considered to be clingy/revealing and tacky, But thats JMHO of course:flowers: Did you think that was a good choice?

Short? In what universe is a below-knee dress short? It was the same length as Queen Silvia's. I thought Sofia's engagement dress was lovely.

http://www.thelocal.se/galleries/3/in-pictures-prince-carl-philip-and-his-bride-to-be-/2

The King obviously thought it was so unsuitable that he wore a matching tie.

For the wedding dress I'm sure that she will be beautifully dressed. Sofia has a great body and is very pretty and will make an astonishing bride in June. And most likely she will get good advise from her future sisters, and mother-in-law

I dont doubt that she has a 'great body' as everyone on the planet, including me has seen it. I have, on the other hand, seen nothing to indicate that Victoria or Madeleine are advising her in anything at all. May I ask what you are basing this statement on and ask for link?

OK, then perhaps you and I have a different opinion of what is suitable, especially for an extremely publically 'unsuitable girl', to wear for an engagement announcement when she was trying to make her past , which was EVERYWHERE, less conspicuous. JMHO of course.

She is not unsuitable. They have got a marriage of consent to marry by the Government and King of Sweden. That should be more than enough!

And the dress is indeed very lovely and of the kind that many women wear in SWEDEN today.

It was not long ago that she wore that horrible, fuchsia, sequin-satin dress to the Nobel ceremony which had a bit of revealing cleavage too. She is still making fashion mistakes but I doubt she will be tacky or flashy on the wedding day. Out of all the days to dress inappropriate this is especially not the one. I'm sure the Queen, King, Royal Court, minders etc. will give her guidance on how to dress for the big day. After all, it's a church wedding, there are rules.

I am very aware of hemlines and have commented on more than one of the fashion threads involving other royals that their hemlines are too short...however IIRC the red dress was at the knee or just below it. I don't recall it being tacky or clingy...it was fitted to her body yes, however nothing more than some of the other royals or even higher profile royals have worn.

LaRae

Just reviewed pics of the dress again...I don't think it was too tight even...there's one photo where the material is actually loose in the middle section and away from the body.

LaRae

'Even if it was still her taste"..it wasnt that long ago...What do you mean 'we have no proof of' ? There are photos all over the web? I feel liike I should be signing off 'Thanks Sofia' for your editorial, because I dont know what you are basing this on if you are not in the room. JMHO of course.
Uhm, she has changed A LOT. But you will never ever see that because in any thread there is a hint of a mention of Sofia, there you are, telling us all why she is bad!

Wow, you really want to see faults. That look is kind of the basic working royal look. A classic sheet dress.

Last edited:
I think we need a Moderator in here STAT!! Again,,,Not to mention certain members to either grow up, shut up or both!!

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

There is already a thread where the past and suitability of Sofia Hellqvist has been & is debated ad nauseam. Please keep this thread free from this discussion which must be getting rather tedious and repetative for many members. This thread is about the wedding, not about her past, her suitability or her clothing style.

Posts continuing the debate above will be deleted. Consider this message a notification of that.

Last edited:
Princess Margareta (Margaret of Connaught), wife of Crown Prince Gustaf (VI) Adolf, brought a myrtle bush, which is now at Ulriksdal Palace.
Will Sofia include myrtle in her boquet?

Princess Margareta (Margaret of Connaught), wife of Crown Prince Gustaf (VI) Adolf, brought a myrtle bush, which is now at Ulriksdal Palace.
Will Sofia include myrtle in her boquet?

If it's tradition I'm sure she will. I know Princess Madeleine had it in her wedding bouquet. I'm not sure about Princess Victoria or Queen Silvia.

The Queen and the CP both wore some myrtle in their hair. It was at the back, where the veil was fixed. So I'm sure that Sofia will use myrtle of that bush as well.

Uhm, she has changed A LOT. But you will never ever see that because in any thread there is a hint of a mention of Sofia, there you are, telling us all why she is bad!

Wow, you really want to see faults. That look is kind of the basic working royal look. A classic sheet dress.

I believe the expression you were looking for was 'shift dress' (no comment on the sheets aspect). As in Lilly Pulitzer and as in Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy, which, if it had been in that tradition I would have agreed that it was basic royal look. A shift dress is never skin tight. It is usually an A line or straight from the shoulder, not nipped and tucked to the skin at all places and short. Never clingy and never with the full zipper up the back.

I believe the expression you were looking for was 'shift dress' (no comment on the sheets aspect). As in Lilly Pulitzer and as in Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy, which, if it had been in that tradition I would have agreed that it was basic royal look. A shift dress is never skin tight. It is usually an A line or straight from the shoulder, not nipped and tucked to the skin at all places and short. Never clingy and never with the full zipper up the back.

Could it be that when Hernameispekka used the term Sheet-dress, she ment "Sheath-dress"? That looks very much like what Miss Hellqvist was wearing Sheath dress - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia which is worn "close to the body"
(please consider that not all of us are native english speakers here...)

Myrtle is ideal for weddings as it has an sweet, aromatic scent (bit like eucalyptus), so it's no surprise it's been popular in Swedish and British royal weddings. If Sofia uses it, she could combine it with a tiara in the same way that Madeleine had a row of little white flowers against her tiara, or weave it in her hair somehow.

Could it be that when Hernameispekka used the term Sheet-dress, she ment "Sheath-dress"? That looks very much like what Miss Hellqvist was wearing Sheath dress - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia which is worn "close to the body"
(please consider that not all of us are native english speakers here...)
Thank you! That was what I meant! As you said, not native speaker!

Also, looking at that link this stands out for me:
First Lady Michelle Obama and Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge are both known for their wearing of sheath dresses.

Sooo, yeah Sofia is dressing soooooo unroyal and not fit for a representative of a country......

Thank you! That was what I meant! As you said, not native speaker!

Also, looking at that link this stands out for me:
First Lady Michelle Obama and Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge are both known for their wearing of sheath dresses.

Sooo, yeah Sofia is dressing soooooo unroyal and not fit for a representative of a country......

I agree that the sheath dress Sofia wore at her engagement was classic, basic and totally appropriate to the event.

Had it been worn by another royal lady (and it very well could have, I can see both Letizia and Catherine in that dress) no one would have remarked on it.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

I agree that the sheath dress Sofia wore at her engagement was classic, basic and totally appropriate to the event.

Had it been worn by another royal lady (and it very well could have, I can see both Letizia and Catherine in that dress) no one would have remarked on it.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Yeah, I think if I of the top of my head list ladies I've seen in similar dresses it would be CP Victoria, Q Letizia, Q Mathilde, P Madeleine, DoCambridge, Q Silvia, Q Maxima, Michelle Obama + every day-show host, news reporter etc.

Is it necessary that the number of pageboys equal the number of flower girls?

Does Sofia have 2 sisters? Are they likely to be bridesmaids?

Does Sofia have 2 sisters? Are they likely to be bridesmaids?

Sofia has an older sister Lina and a younger sister Sarah.
I have seen no news about either sister being a bridesmaid.

I don't believe siblings are bridesmaids in royal weddings...the only one I've seen is Princess Mary's sisters at her wedding to Frederik. Usually it's small children of the family that are bridesmaids and pages. I'd be surprised if she had her sister's as bridesmaids.

I don't believe siblings are bridesmaids in royal weddings...the only one I've seen is Princess Mary's sisters at her wedding to Frederik. Usually it's small children of the family that are bridesmaids and pages. I'd be surprised if she had her sister's as bridesmaids.
Kate sister also.

But it's not very Swedish. People have started doing it, but it's not tradition. But since they do Anglo-engagement and not swedish, and they get walked to the isle (also not very Swedish) it wouldn't be a big leap to have bridesmaids.

I have to admit that I would love to see this wedding as a celebration of Swedish culture and tradition. A best man for him and a maid of honour for her and a beautiful walk up the aisle together.

I have to admit that I would love to see this wedding as a celebration of Swedish culture and tradition. A best man for him and a maid of honour for her and a beautiful walk up the aisle together.
Haha, contradictory statements. Best man and maid of honor is in no way a Swedish tradition :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom