Carl Philip and Sofia's Wedding: Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:previous:I have a question Lady Finn, All these medals and ribbons and other things that they wear on these uniforms, are they just for show or did they actually do something to earn them? This is a question that I have often wondered about for years now ...and this goes for any royal man with a medal. I know that you can't answer and I don't a expect an answer for all royal men and their medals. Medals to me mean that you actually earn them, you worked in the military and served your county, not just to put on someone to make they look like they did something or that they are bigger or better then anyone else...........military serve means a lot to me in my family as does those medals.

Lady Finn,
I read that CPC was promoted to major, what did he do and when did he serve in the military to get this promotion? From reading that in the last time he served in the military during some training session, he left during the session and then came back to finish it............is this the way the Swedish military work....I don't think so.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lady Finn,
I read that CPC was promoted to major, what did he do and when did he serve in the military to get this promotion? From reading that in the last time he served in the military during some training session, he left during the session and then came back to finish it............is this the way the Swedish military work....I don't think so.

Carl Philip is a Naval Reserve Officer, you can read about his service in the military here
Biography - Sveriges Kungahus [NS4 version]
When he was appointed to the position of Major, the court wrote:
Prince Carl Philip is appointed to the position of Major - Sveriges Kungahus [NS4 version]

We need a Swede to answer how reserve officers are promoted in Sweden. Here in Finland reserve promotions are based on the completed training and wartime role, the position and suitability. Promotion is not an automation, even if the minimum number of refresher training days and the last time to enable a promotion would be completed. There has to be gone at least five years from the previous promotion that you can be promoted again, and at the promotion of reserve officers the minimum period is extended, the higher the value of the military is all about. But this is in Finland, I don't know about Sweden.

Pages 8 and 9 of this thread have a discussion about his uniform(s), perhaps you can take a look there?

ok, i will, but at least it got the topic of conversation away a bit from the british wedding guests, didn't it :flowers:

:previous:I have a question Lady Finn, All these medals and ribbons and other things that they wear on these uniforms, are they just for show or did they actually do something to earn them? This is a question that I have often wondered about for years now ...and this goes for any royal man with a medal. I know that you can't answer and I don't a expect an answer for all royal men and their medals. Medals to me mean that you actually earn them, you worked in the military and served your county, not just to put on someone to make they look like they did something or that they are bigger or better then anyone else...........military serve means a lot to me in my family as does those medals.

Lady Finn,

These medals and honours aren't ones like the military service medals that you're thinking of. They're honours that are conferred by the monarch for various reasons. CP currently is a Knight of the Order of Charles XIII, a Knight with Collar of the Royal Order of the Seraphim, and a Commander of the Royal Order of the Polar Star. He's also been awarded the HM King Carl XVI Gustaf 50th Anniversary Medal and the Commemorative Ruby Jubilee Medal of His Majesty the King.

I'm not entirely sure what the requirements were in order to receive the two anniversary medals, but I do know that his mother, sisters, and aunts have both, and his brothers-in-law and elder niece have the Ruby Jubilee Medal.

The Royal Order of the Seraphim is at this point only awarded to foreign heads of state (as well as several royal consorts and heirs) and members of the Swedish Royal family - and is held by every single member of the SRF, including Estelle and Leonore.

The Order of the Polar Star at this point is also only awarded to members of the Swedish Royal family and foreigners, primarily foreign office holders and members of junior members of foreign RFs. Currently, all the male members of the SRF have this honour, while the adult female members have the Royal Family Order of King Carl XVI Gustaf of Sweden.

The Order of Charles XIII is held by all princes of Sweden from birth, but is only worn by them if they are Knights Commanders Red Cross of the Swedish Order of Freemasons. Both Carl Philip and his father have this honour, but neither are Freemasons so they don't wear it.

I don't think either C-P or Sofia will give a rat's patootie who the BRF sends, or if they send no one. The BRF might send no one, as you know Sofia has posed nude and that just might be something that would smite the BRF sensibilities. ;)

I don't think that the BRF sensibilities would be upset by the past posing of the bride. Remember Harry has been photographed nude and Catherine has flashed her butt cheeks. (In the wind and unintentionally, admittedly.) I still think that Andrew would be the most available royal if Edward and Sofie are committed to the Trooping of the Colours.
I also expect that Charlene and Albert will attend. Albert's sister has been photographed topless after all. Actually, I think many European Royals will be there. It's a party, it's a celebration and to shun a wedding invitation is very rude.
I suspect that Carl Philip will wear a dark uniform and I think he will shave.
I predict that Estelle will be an attendant.
Which other child attendants would be appropriate?

Last edited:
On the cover of Hänt Extra
Controls with an iron fist
Refuses of a small wedding in the countryside
"Sofia walks over kind Carl Philip"
http://www.allerbutiken.se/Global/Covers/HEX.jpg

So it seems that Sofia's honeymoon with the swedish gossip press is finally over.

Last edited:
On the cover of Hänt Extra
Controls with an iron fist
Refuses of a small wedding in the countryside
"Sofia walks over kind Carl Philip"
http://www.allerbutiken.se/Global/Covers/HEX.jpg

So it seems that Sofia's honeymoon with the swedish gossip press is finally over.

The bolded doesn't surprise me, if it's true. Yep, 'honeymoon' over. :cool:

Given Carl Philip's life-long temperament, most women would be strong compared to him. :p

I had to check the title of this thread because I thought I was in the British forums for a second.

In the absence of any online Swedish mods...let's stay on topic of the thread....Carl Philip and Sofia.

And yes, off topic posts about Harry have been deleted.

Additional off topic posts will be deleted without notice.

Zonk
TRF Administrator

Last edited:
Any information re the following:-

1. Dress Designer (same as Victoria)
2. Bridal Attendants (will her sister be a bridesmaid?
3. Carriage or Car?

Will it be Lace or Satin?

Any information re the following:-

1. Dress Designer (same as Victoria)
2. Bridal Attendants (will her sister be a bridesmaid?
3. Carriage or Car?

Will it be Lace or Satin?
We have to wait until the Wedding is much closer for the first 2 questions. As the Wedding is held in the Palace Church i think they will need no Car or Carriage for the arrivals there but i think there will probably be a carriage tour through Stiocholm after the Ceremony as both Victoria and Madeleine had one.

Victoria's dress was silk
Maddie's was lace
So maybe Sofia will go for SATIN!

Posts which served no purpose but to start a fight have been removed.

Victoria's dress was silk
Maddie's was lace
So maybe Sofia will go for SATIN!
I'd love to see her in something uniquely hers. Victoria's gown was made of cream duchess silk satin, Madeleine's was made from pleated silk organza with appliquéd ivory-coloured Chantilly lace. These two gowns were just like their wearers, as different as night and day. One of pared down elegance, the other the epitome of romance.

These two gowns are at absolute opposite ends of the bridal spectrum so there is plenty of room for Sophia to indulge her girly bridal dreams without being too severe or too poofy. Me? I'm pulling for an Elie Saab Couture wedding fantasy.

Just imagine, tulle, organza, silk, lace, embroidery, pearls and crystals . . . the options are limitless as Sofia doesn't have the gravitas to carry off a gown such as Victoria's, nor is she overtly princessy in style like Madeleine's. In both cases the gown would end up swallowing her.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/06/08/article-2652085-1E929DDE00000578-41_470x709.jpg

http://www.hellomagazine.com/imagen...e-birthday-party/0-39-970/Chris-Oneill--z.jpg

She definitely has a style of her own and, more importantly, she walks with confidence and has good deportment:

http://polpix.sueddeutsche.com/polo...e/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/900x600/image.jpg

http://y1.ifengimg.com/a/2014_41/e106ba269f9a50b.jpg

But this one didn't really look like her style at all, both gown and hair!

http://royalista.com/wp-content/ima...a_king-carl-gustaf_tiaras_clutches--h=500.jpg

Somehow this seemed more her speed . . . just add tiara hair!

http://www.glamour.com/images/fashion/2014/10/sofia-hellqvist-black-lace-dress-h724.jpg

And this is just because I love how Carl-Philip looks at her and why we're here in the first place!

http://www.hellomagazine.com/imagen...-parliamen/0-112-442/sofia-prince-carl--d.jpg

Hello everyone...if I may join the discussion

I'd love to see Sofia in Elie Saab dress, his wedding dressses are so elegent & class especially the ones with lace; that heavenly princess's touch and with Sofia's unique look, black hair, blue eyes :)

ok not to forget the prince charm next to the bride ;)

TBH I am quite tired of Elie Saab dresses after two simular wedding gowns in Luxembourg and several other royal dresses that often resemble each other. I hope that she will go for a Swedish designer, like CPs Victoria did.

As for the tiara: it would be a nice gesture if she wore Q. Silvia's fringe tiara too. Otherwise maybe the Connaught tiara, a veil behind it may take care f the 'empty' loops and it was already used as a wedding tiara by Pss Christina so it would be a nice tradition to continue. A creativee option would be the Ruby tiara if the rubies could be replaced by small pearls (I gather they can't, but maybe a creative court jeweller could take care of that).

For the rest I suppose it will resemble the scenario of the wedding of Pss Madeleine: a tiara-less pre-wedding dinner at a hotel and a party on the day itself at Drottningholm.

Last edited:
As for the tiara: it would be a nice gesture if she wore Q. Silvia's fringe tiara too. Otherwise maybe the Connaught tiara, a veil behind it may take care f the 'empty' loops and it was already used as a wedding tiara by Pss Christina so it would be a nice tradition to continue. A creativee option would be the Ruby tiara if the rubies could be replaced by small pearls (I gather they can't, but maybe a creative court jeweller could take care of that).

I so do hope she does not use the Fringe tiara. Even though she has not worn it for some time, I see the Fringe very much as Victoria's "signature" tiara, and do hope it is not used by any of the other royal ladies.

So, I saw that the SRF has decided not to announce a title for SH until after the wedding, for whatever reason. I believe that it was announced prior to V&D's and M&C's wedding that Daniel would be Prince and CHris would not. I think it will be Duchess of Varmland.

As far as the wedding dress, she always seems to enjoy a tight sheath style dress. I dont see her chaging dramatically at the wedding. SO my prediction is no big skirt. I think it will be essentially like the red lace one she wore recently, but in white/ecru. As a commoner marrying into a RF, I think she will not wear a tiarato the ceremony. Unless she does something like Sarah Ferguson did and cover it with flowers or whatever until after the ceremony.

Last edited:
If Sofia wants to collect sympathy-points with the Swedish population, she should go for a Swedish designer, imho. Wasn't it a Swedish designer who made Victoria's dress for Madeleine's wedding? That dress was gorgeous and something along those lines would suit Sofia well.

As for the tiara, I'm still a fan of the Connaught tiara as a wedding jewel. I loved it on Christina, had hoped that Victoria and Madeleine would wear it, and I don't even mind the open spaces in it when worn without a veil. (Only Madeleines hair was not very good with it at the V&D wedding.)

For some time I too thought that the Baden fringe was meant to be exclusively worn by the Crown Princess. But then Victoria seems to have stopped wearing it, and it was worn by her aunt at Madeleine's wedding. So I thing that the fringe is still in the running for Sofia's wedding tiara.

So, I saw that the SRF has decided not to announce a title for SH until after the wedding, for whatever reason. I believe that it was announced prior to V&D's and M&C's wedding that Daniel would be Prince and CHris would not. I think it will be Duchess of Varmland.

Johan T Lindwall spoke in his latest "Kungligt med Johan T" webbshow about Sofia's title. He said that the court will decide about Sofia's title after the wedding, but I didn't understood that he meant that they would make the decision after the wedding. I think Lindwall just meant that the court decides before the wedding what Sofia's title will be after the wedding. The royal expert Herman Lindqvist is sure that Sofia will get a title, and royal expert Sten Hedman thinks the same. And Lindwall is totally sure that Sofia will get a title.

For some time I too thought that the Baden fringe was meant to be exclusively worn by the Crown Princess. But then Victoria seems to have stopped wearing it, and it was worn by her aunt at Madeleine's wedding. So I thing that the fringe is still in the running for Sofia's wedding tiara.

The Baden Fringe is mainly worn by the crown princess, but also princess Lilian wore it for a few times. But since Madeleine has never worn it, Sofia shouldn't wear it either.

Svensk Damtidning has written a few times that Sofia could wear a dress made by Göran Alfredsson, she has worn his dresses before.
These are from Alfredsson¨
http://bloggar.aftonbladet.se/hovbloggen/files/2013/06/Skarmavbild-2013-06-10-kl.-13.07.04.png
http://kungligamodebloggen.svenskdam.se/files/2013/06/Bild-26.png

Last edited:
Hope her dress is better than Madeleine's, also am not a huge fan of Victoria's though Princess Charlene clearly was. I am not a fan of those kind of gowns, I believe they are called streamlined? They look too normal for me, like something a regular woman would wear to a fancy rich folks dinner. I don't know Sofia's style at all but what I have seen her wear has been nice. Another good question is what will Carl Phillip wear? Is his only choice a naval rserve uniform? I am an embarrassing dislike for royal men not getting married in a military uniform; it just always looks wrong to me. Blame it on Prince Charles and how nice he looked on his wedding day.

Last edited:

As far as the wedding dress, she always seems to enjoy a tight sheath style dress. I dont see her chaging dramatically at the wedding. SO my prediction is no big skirt. I think it will be essentially like the red lace one she wore recently, but in white/ecru. As a commoner marrying into a RF, I think she will not wear a tiarato the ceremony. Unless she does something like Sarah Ferguson did and cover it with flowers or whatever until after the ceremony.
You might be right with the observation about the dress, that there won't be a full skirt. She really seems to favour a slim outline. But maybe she is keeping the full skirt for the wedding, as something special for the big day? From what I have seen her wearing so far, I think she has good taste or a good stylist. No fashion faux-pas since she's dating CP. So I expect a good nice dress.

But I don't see that she'll forego a tiara. Why? Many, many commoner brides have worn tiaras at their weddings. Maxima even wore even two different tiaras before her wedding. Especially since the dress code will probably white tie, the ladies will wear tiaras. How strange if the bride wouldn't. And it would immediatly taken up by the press to create more rumours about how the King and Queen don't like their new daughter-in-law. They won't risk that. Not after working so hard to make the public believe that they quite like Sofia.

Imo Sarah Ferguson's floral cover was not very successful. The flowers looked so dense and heavy before the tiara. And it was a very personal way of doing things. So far it hasn't been done by any other lady, and I don't think that Sofia will be the first to copy it.

The Baden Fringe is mainly worn by the crown princess, but also princess Lilian wore it for a few times. But since Madeleine has never worn it, Sofia shouldn't wear it either.
Princess Lilian wore the fringe for the last time in 2008. I think that was her second-last tiara appearance.

From then till 2011 CP Victoria was the only lady to wear this tiara for three years. And she wore it on a regular basis, so it seemed to become her signature tiara. But then Victoria suddenly stopped wearing it. She hasn't worn it once during the last three years.

Since then I have waited for her to wear it again. But no! It was her aunt Princess Margareta who wore it to Madeleine's wedding in 2013.

So if Victoria doesn't use it anymore, why should it remain exclusive to her? That makes me think that this tiara is again "on the market" for the other princesses.

As for the fringe tiara as far as i remeber it was left by Queen Victoria to the Bernadotte foundation for the use (or with the wish tzhiat it would be mainly used) by the Crown Princess. Princess Lilian wore the tiara quiet frequently in the first 20 years after her marriage but this was of course before Crown Princess Victoria turned 18. After she used it for the fiorst time in 2001 it was mainly used by her but Princess Lilian also wore it from time to time. But at the moment Victoria seems to prefer the big Cut steel tiara.
As for a Wedding tiara for Sofia i hope she will not use the Connaught tiara before Victoria has worn it. I think one of the button tiaras could also look quiet nice with a Veil behind it.

As for the fringe tiara as far as i remeber it was left by Queen Victoria to the Bernadotte foundation for the use (or with the wish tzhiat it would be mainly used) by the Crown Princess. Princess Lilian wore the tiara quiet frequently in the first 20 years after her marriage but this was of course before Crown Princess Victoria turned 18. After she used it for the fiorst time in 2001 it was mainly used by her but Princess Lilian also wore it from time to time. But at the moment Victoria seems to prefer the big Cut steel tiara.
As for a Wedding tiara for Sofia i hope she will not use the Connaught tiara before Victoria has worn it. I think one of the button tiaras could also look quiet nice with a Veil behind it.

Yes, I have also read that queen Victoria wrote at her will that the Baden Fringe tiara should mainly be worn by the crown princess of Sweden.
I agree, Sofia shouldn't wear the Connaught tiara before Victoria has worn it (and the Baden Fringe before Madeleine has worn it). Sofia could wear either of the button tiaras as a bride. The best solution would be if Carl Philip would give Sofia a new tiara as a wedding gift.

Last edited:
That's an interesting point about the Connaught tiara. Maybe Victoria could solve that problem by wearing it at this year's Nobels?;) But then she doesn't seem to care, and Madeleine also wore it before Victoria ever did.

I just don't like the buttons tiaras and can't imagine that they would look good even with a veil behind it. Also I don't envisage Sofia with a poofy tulle veil a la Beatrix. Something less fluffy fastened at the back of the head seems to be more her style, or at least that's what I imagine.

Basically I fail to understand why Victoria hasn't worn the fringe for three years, and suddenly Princess Margareta pops it on for the wedding in 2013. Is it because of her allergy? (The fringe seems to have no covered base like the six button tiara or the amethysts.) If Victoria for some reason or other has decided not to wear it anymore, it would be quite a waste to leave it in vaults till Estelle to becomes CP.

The best solution would be if Carl Philip would give Sofia a new tiara as a wedding gift.
I quite agree. If she's going to wear a tiara CP should buy her one of her own. Then if the marriage does not last she gets to keep it and the SRF gets to keep the historical pieces.

I quite agree. If she's going to wear a tiara CP should buy her one of her own. Then if the marriage does not last she gets to keep it and the SRF gets to keep the historical pieces.
They won't give her a historic tiara as a present, that's not how they do things anymore. Even if Sofia doesn't get a new tiara, the historical pieces would stay with the RF. Afaik, the fringe and the Connaught are both part of the foundation. And even if privately owned they wouldn't be given away as a present.

Sofia, like every other woman in the Swedish royal family, will be able to borrow and wear historical royal tiaras, but will not own them as personal property.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

^ UMM, not like every woman in the SRF. Queen Silvia wears what she wants. Victoria and Madeleine are Princesses of the Blood and have always had access. Sofia would have to ask in advance in case someone else wants to wear X, I would think, not just point and say "Bring it to me". Way down the food chain SRF wise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom