The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden > Prince Carl Philip and Princess Sofia

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-06-2015, 04:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
That "from commoner to Princess transformation" is a bit too much sugarcake Disney fondant, I am sorry to say...
Yet you made a point of saying that Sofia would be dressed in all the privileges of her new 'high rank and status'. Something is not adding up here.

A bit of conflating here that I feel a need to untangle. You were responding to me saying something about Sofia not coming to the church with a tiara but leaving with one. So you then said that Sofia would be dressed according "to her high rank and status" as the Duchess of Varmland. (I would call that by your own words 'sugarcake Disney fondant'). That was what I was calling 'high falutin', as do people really believe that Sofia will think of herself, once married, as being of 'high rank and status'?

Quote:
Diadems are not at all preserved for royal ladies or peeresses. That is just a myth. Anyone who wants to wear a diadem in the hairdo, befitting the event, can do so if she wishes.
I agree. But we're just talking here about a royal wedding with all the old markers of class, not so? How strange that we are talking potentially the same thing but in a kind of cross talk.

You seem to be saying that Sofia can/should show up at the church with a tiara because everyone else (wealthy commoners and what-all) do so, too, but also because Sofia is becoming the Duchess of Varmland and has a right to so dress, invoking the old traditions (the 'sugarcake Disney fondant').

I am saying that since she is in the old traditions why not come as the commoner and leave as the royal. Pretty simple.

Quote:
Famous examples were Mrs. William Astor, Mrs. George J. Gould, Mrs. W.K. Vanderbilt, Mrs. Edward Stotesbury, Miss Margaret F. Rutherford, even Mrs John F.K. Kennedy, all been seen with glittering hair jewels... some of them even outshining royal or aristocrat ladies by sheer carat power and glitter.
'Hair jewels' conveys something different to me than tiaras. I actually prefer 'hair jewels' to describe what I see (and use myself) for special occasions. There is so much more flexibility with hair-band type adornments and ropes of pearls or diamonds woven through one's hair. One can do great things with a braided bun.

I find tiaras archaic. My personal opinion. They had their purpose once, but they make no sense anymore (a bit like fascinators ). If one is royal and has to wear one as part of the costume, fine. But as a choice, there are so many more classy ways to adorn one's hair (if one is into jewels). JMO.

Old 06-06-2015, 05:12 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
[...] But as a choice, there are so many more classy ways to adorn one's hair (if one is into jewels). JMO.
Well, many royal ladies do that too, when diadems are mabye 'too much':

Crown Princess Victoria

Princess Máxima

Princess Charlène

Etc.

Old 06-06-2015, 05:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Well, many royal ladies do that too, when diadems are mabye 'too much':
I know. So we agree.
Old 06-06-2015, 06:33 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabella View Post
I think a lot of that is less because it's inappropriate and more because styles have just become less formal. Sort of in the same way that people used to wear (nice, non baseball-cap) hats. It's just something you don't really see anymore, but not because it's inappropriate. In fact, I think some brides in the U.S. do wear tiaras - I've certainly seen ads for brides to rent (or possibly buy) tiaras, and I've seen the occasional picture of a bride wearing a tiara. It's not common, but I don't think it would be necessarily considered inappropriate.

I guess "inappropriate" was a bad choice of words. What I meant is that wearing a tiara would be old-fashioned and look a little bit ridiculous, a little bit like dressing like a Barbie doll.
Old 06-06-2015, 06:57 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
I guess "inappropriate" was a bad choice of words. What I meant is that wearing a tiara would be old-fashioned and look a little bit ridiculous, a little bit like dressing like a Barbie doll.
Heck, I think many brides these days already look a bit ridiculous with their big, white, dresses and veils, especially for a daytime wedding when the guests are all dressed in ordinary clothes. Those brides already look like Barbie dolls so they might as well add a tiara if it gives them a kick.
Old 06-06-2015, 10:20 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
Heck, I think many brides these days already look a bit ridiculous with their big, white, dresses and veils, especially for a daytime wedding when the guests are all dressed in ordinary clothes. Those brides already look like Barbie dolls so they might as well add a tiara if it gives them a kick.
You are so right. Weddings today are big business, huge! Brides wearing gowns costing thousands of dollars, satin, silk, buttons, bows, lace by the yard and veils, incredible huge veils and crinolines, huge move over Scarlet, crinolines, and the more bridesmaids the better.

So lets get rid of the crystal and diamante tiaras, push the boat out, and wear the real deal, especially if you are Sofia whose wedding, unlike most brides, will herald the beginning of a life of tiaras, instead of the once in a lifetime wedding day.

As to wearing a floral wreath instead, does Sweden even have such a tradition?
Old 06-06-2015, 11:10 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
You are so right. Weddings today are big business, huge! Brides wearing gowns costing thousands of dollars, satin, silk, buttons, bows, lace by the yard and veils, incredible huge veils and crinolines, huge move over Scarlet, crinolines, and the more bridesmaids the better.

So lets get rid of the crystal and diamante tiaras, push the boat out, and wear the real deal, especially if you are Sofia whose wedding, unlike most brides, will herald the beginning of a life of tiaras, instead of the once in a lifetime wedding day.

As to wearing a floral wreath instead, does Sweden even have such a tradition?

Not sure about floral wreaths as a specifically Swedish tradition though it's been worn. I know some local traditions have a wreath of cloth with ribbons hanging from it but the most widespread bridal headgear is the bridal crown that is most often owned by and loaned from the parish church. Princess Margaretha famously wore one at her wedding in the early sixties.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 06-07-2015, 03:03 AM
Majesty

It wouldn't matter to the majority of Swedish brides. We don't get to see or watch them so it really is their day to celebrate as is their custom, fashion or whim.

No so for those female members of royal families nor those marrying into them. We expect the whole deal, the perfect royal bride and groom and the perfect royal wedding. And what's worse, we are a picky lot!
Old 06-07-2015, 07:06 PM
Serene Highness

I think a bride should wear what she likes, it's the one day you can go for it and yes look like a princess. However, I think one big white wedding is all your get you don't get to keep having them if your first marriage doesn't work out that to me is just ridiculous.
Old 06-09-2015, 08:12 AM
Majesty

with this wedding we may not see a swedish royal wedding for 30 years
Old 06-09-2015, 08:23 AM
Nobility

we don't know everything is possible someone divorce and remarry like in danemark
Old 06-09-2015, 08:30 AM
Serene Highness

Carl Philip and Sofia's Wedding: Suggestions and Musings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josefine View Post
with this wedding we may not see a swedish royal wedding for 30 years

Ooouch don't say that, haha. Let's hope Estelle and Leonore doesn't wait 30 years to marry 😂

But with the reservation for later divorce's and remarriage's it may indeed go a very long time until new weddings take place and we'll likely see some sad state funerals before that. Estelle, Leonore and future siblings/cousins will likely marry when Mommy/Aunt Victoria I is Queen Regent of Sweden.

We have been used to some really glamorous events during later yers that it's quite unbeliveable to imagine that we didn't have any weddings in the immediate royal family between 1976 (the King and Prince Bertil) and 2010 (Victoria).
Old 06-09-2015, 09:05 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

When do you think the guest list will be published? On Friday? Or is there a chance that it will come out earlier?

Old 06-09-2015, 09:18 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilia C. View Post
When do you think the guest list will be published? On Friday? Or is there a chance that it will come out earlier?

Most likely on Friday.
Old 06-11-2015, 08:08 AM
Imperial Majesty

According to Aftonbladet, the artists who perform at the wedding ceremony are David Pagmar and Salem Al Fakir.
Här är artisterna som spelar i Slottskyrkan _ Prinsbröllopet _ Nyheter _ Aftonbladet

Pagmar will sing "Paraply", which is an interpretation of Rihanna's worldwide hit "Umbrella". The couple has chosen this song themselves.

Salem Al Fakir will sing with the musicians from the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra. Here is a video of Salem Al Fakir singing at the pre-wedding concert of Victoria and Daniel. I don't think that he will sing this song because he made it especially to Victoria.
Old 06-11-2015, 01:18 PM
Nobility

Do we know anything considering the attendance of the Icelandic and Finnish Presidential Couples for the wedding? They didn't attend Madeleine and Chris' wedding, so I don't know what to expect...
Old 06-11-2015, 01:29 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingen View Post
Do we know anything considering the attendance of the Icelandic and Finnish Presidential Couples for the wedding? They didn't attend Madeleine and Chris' wedding, so I don't know what to expect...
The wedding is not listed at the weekly program of the president of Finland.
Old 06-11-2015, 04:34 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
The wedding is not listed at the weekly program of the president of Finland.
Thank you LadyFinn, I have found myself a bit lost when looking for things at the website of the Finnish President, and couldn't find anything. And it was perhaps not very likely that they would attend.
Old 06-11-2015, 04:39 PM
Heir Apparent

Maybe some African guests, some guests from Project Playground?
I had a dream: Let's connect our thoughts together, than we have a mission, let's connect our feelings together, than we have a mood, let's connect our dreams together, than we have a vision and let's connect our mission, our mood and our vision together than we have a perfect life.
Old 06-12-2015, 01:29 AM
Imperial Majesty

Expressen told earlier that the pre-wedding dinner today would be at the Vaxholm Fortress (and Svensk Damtidning that it would be at Ulriksdal Palace). Yesterday evening Expressen told, that the dinner is held at Bergrummet in Skeppsholmen. The guests will first be taken to an hour boat trip and then they arrive Skeppsholmen is a rock cavern made in 1939 and was used as a possible military defenses during World War II. The cavern has an advanced system of tunnels and has over 1,000 square meters. It was until 1960 part of the Swedish Navy's main base. In 2010 the cavern opened up as an exhibition hall, there was an exhibition of the China's terracotta army.
Här ska prinsparet ha sin privata fest _ kungligt _ Expressen
Translation

Closed Thread

Tags
carl philip, prince carl philip, sofia hellqvist, wedding