The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden > Prince Carl Philip and Princess Sofia

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 06:16 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
I'v

I am reminded of Sarah ('Fergie') arriving with a garland of flowers on her hair and leaving the church with a tiara. Just the right touch, the commoner becoming the royal, and pretty much in the same position as Sofia.

Actualla Sarah Ferguson is quiet the exception in not wearing a tiara on arrival to the Wedding ceremony as commoner. For example Alexandra Manley, Marie Cavallier, Claire Coombs to name a few all married as commoner in Royal Families (niot the heir) and the all wore tiara during the entire Wedding ceremonies.
The same can be said for all the brides who have married in the dutch RF but they where already Princesses as the had had already been married in a civil ceremony who took place 1 or 2 days earlier (except for Máxima and Mabel).

Old 05-31-2015, 07:49 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenJen View Post
I want to post this as a new thread, but can't figure out how to do it:

Are there any instances of Royal Weddings being called off at the 'last minute'?

I remember when the book about Princess Diana came out, it said she thought about cancelling the wedding just a few days before, but her sister told her it was too late.

Has anyone actually cancelled?

Prince Gustav of Berleburg cancelled his wedding to Elvire Pasté de Rochefort as did Duke Jean of Vendome with his planned wedding to princess Tatjana of Oldenburg.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Old 05-31-2015, 10:00 AM
Courtier

.. and of course Madelaine her first wedding.
Old 05-31-2015, 11:25 AM
Serene Highness

I believe Sarah was wearing the tiara under the flowers. The flowers were removed to mark the transition from commoner to princess.
Old 05-31-2015, 11:36 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess carmen View Post
I believe Sarah was wearing the tiara under the flowers. The flowers were removed to mark the transition from commoner to princess.
Yes, I think the flowers hid the tiara, but were removed just before her departure.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 05-31-2015, 02:02 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenJen View Post
I want to post this as a new thread, but can't figure out how to do it:

Are there any instances of Royal Weddings being called off at the 'last minute'?

I remember when the book about Princess Diana came out, it said she thought about cancelling the wedding just a few days before, but her sister told her it was too late.

Has anyone actually cancelled?
Not a wedding, but wasn't Madeleine's engagement to Jonas Bergström called off at the last minute because the wedding would've been too close to Victoria and Daniel's wedding?

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 05-31-2015, 02:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes the engagement call ff not the wedding.
Old 06-01-2015, 06:07 PM
Serene Highness

The engagement was called off because Jonas cheated on Maddie.
Old 06-01-2015, 11:01 PM
Majesty

Yes, it was the personal betrayal and public humiliation that sent Madeleine rushing off to work and hide in NY. A decision made at the worst possible time for her because I don't believe it was a well-thought-out option.

The connection to Victoria and her wedding was that Madeleine was unable to carry out a previously scheduled overseas engagement and, on almost the eve of her wedding, Victoria picked up the slack for her little sister and carried out that duty. It wasn't an obligation of duty, but rather of love.

The Bernadotte siblings were very close growing up and now, as adults, they still seem to be. Madeleine wanting her baby niece present at her wedding is an excellent example. I believe Sophia has the support if not the love of her future sisters in law, if for no other reason than they love their brother.
Old 06-05-2015, 02:05 PM
Imperial Majesty

Aftonbladet writes that according to their information, "a source close to the court", Sofia comes with her father to the chapel were Carl Philip waits. Carl Philip doesn't have a bestman and Sofia doesn't have bridesmaids.
Sofias val i kyrkan_ Förs fram av pappa _ Prinsbröllopet _ Nyheter _ Aftonbladet
Old 06-05-2015, 02:17 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
Aftonbladet writes that according to their information, "a source close to the court", Sofia comes with her father to the chapel were Carl Philip waits. Carl Philip doesn't have a bestman and Sofia doesn't have bridesmaids.
Sofias val i kyrkan_ Förs fram av pappa _ Prinsbröllopet _ Nyheter _ Aftonbladet
Meanwhile Expressen writes that Estelle will be one of the bridal attendants
Prinsessan Estelle blir brudnäbb på Sofia Hellqvists och prins Carl Philips bröllop | Kungligheter | Expressen

I guess only time will tell which tabloid is correct
Old 06-05-2015, 02:23 PM
Imperial Majesty

Sofia will have no bridesmaids, I believe that. But bridesmaids and the bridal children aren't the same thing. Either Victoria or Madeleine have had bridesmaids, they had bridal children. I have hoped that Sofia would do differently and have her sisters as her bridesmaids.
Old 06-05-2015, 11:24 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Brockdorf View Post
Meanwhile Expressen writes that Estelle will be one of the bridal attendants
Prinsessan Estelle blir brudnäbb på Sofia Hellqvists och prins Carl Philips bröllop | Kungligheter | Expressen
That will be so sweet. I really hope she is.
Old 06-06-2015, 01:00 AM
Majesty

I think it's charming, romantic and prettier to have children attendants rather than adult ones. But practically speaking the little ones are not so good at managing the bride's train.

I like the way Stephanie of Luxembourg did it...she had all children in her bridal party except two very young ladies(her niece and her sister-in-law Princess Alexandra) to handle her massive and heavily embroidered train.
Old 06-06-2015, 01:29 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
I think it's charming, romantic and prettier to have children attendants rather than adult ones. But practically speaking the little ones are not so good at managing the bride's train.
Very true. Lady Sarah Chatto can attest to that, methinks, being the only one in charge of Diana's train (well, India was there – but she didn't really help too much) IIRC one of the commentators said, "And Lady Sarah Armstrong-Jones, who's coped so wonderfully with that magnificent train".

Old 06-06-2015, 06:49 AM
Heir Apparent

Carl Philip and Sofia's Wedding: Suggestions and Musings

You can do little children and then one adult like Kate and Zara Philips did so you still get cute overload from the kids and responsible adults in the same shot.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 06-06-2015, 06:55 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
Well, that's pretty high falutin', as they say in certain parts. Do you really think they think of themselves in such-wise?

I am reminded of Sarah ('Fergie') arriving with a garland of flowers on her hair and leaving the church with a tiara. Just the right touch, the commoner becoming the royal, and pretty much in the same position as Sofia.

[...]
That "from commoner to Princess transformation" is a bit too much sugarcake Disney fondant, I am sorry to say... Diadems are not at all preserved for royal ladies or peeresses. That is just a myth. Anyone who wants to wear a diadem in the hairdo, befitting the event, can do so if she wishes.

Famous examples were Mrs. William Astor, Mrs. George J. Gould, Mrs. W.K. Vanderbilt, Mrs. Edward Stotesbury, Miss Margaret F. Rutherford, even Mrs John F.K. Kennedy, all been seen with glittering hair jewels... some of them even outshining royal or aristocrat ladies by sheer carat power and glitter...

Old 06-06-2015, 08:13 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
That "from commoner to Princess transformation" is a bit too much sugarcake Disney fondant, I am sorry to say... Diadems are not at all preserved for royal ladies or peeresses. That is just a myth. Anyone who wants to wear a diadem in the hairdo, befitting the event, can do so if she wishes.

Famous examples were Mrs. William Astor, Mrs. George J. Gould, Mrs. W.K. Vanderbilt, Mrs. Edward Stotesbury, Miss Margaret F. Rutherford, even Mrs John F.K. Kennedy, all been seen with glittering hair jewels... some of them even outshining royal or aristocrat ladies by sheer carat power and glitter...

However, as of 2015, I believe it would be considered inappropriate for a non-aristocrat lady to wear hair jewels. We no longer see e.g. American billionaires wearing it as it used to be the case in the early to mid-20th century.
Old 06-06-2015, 08:42 AM
Heir Apparent

There's lots of women who wear 'hair jewels' to their weddings here in the U.S. I think in the 'deb' society it is still common for them to wear tiaras etc to coming out balls and similar events as well.

LaRae
Old 06-06-2015, 04:03 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
However, as of 2015, I believe it would be considered inappropriate for a non-aristocrat lady to wear hair jewels. We no longer see e.g. American billionaires wearing it as it used to be the case in the early to mid-20th century.
I think a lot of that is less because it's inappropriate and more because styles have just become less formal. Sort of in the same way that people used to wear (nice, non baseball-cap) hats. It's just something you don't really see anymore, but not because it's inappropriate. In fact, I think some brides in the U.S. do wear tiaras - I've certainly seen ads for brides to rent (or possibly buy) tiaras, and I've seen the occasional picture of a bride wearing a tiara. It's not common, but I don't think it would be necessarily considered inappropriate.

Closed Thread

Tags
carl philip, prince carl philip, sofia hellqvist, wedding