The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 02:49 PM
Serene Highness

I know this is off topic, I am trying to understand earlier comments on the House of B and CP....

Old 07-26-2014, 03:04 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by SElizabeth View Post
Just a question so that I can better understand this thread/line of thinking;
why is it still today that when a male child is born it is more important then a female child? Victoria is the first child of CG/S, why do I get the impression that because CP is male, he is more important regardless of the house he was born into, wasn't V also born into the HofB? The thinking of the world that males are more important then females has created many problems with different cultures and that has caused females to suffer horribly in this world, not just the past but in present day, India for example.
I am just trying to understand this line of thinking, this is 2014 not 1014...
Is this referring to my post concerning CP being a male-line descendant? Because if it is, i haven't made myself clear (probably lack of english language on my part): i don't think a mal is more important than a female, they are equally important.

Old 07-26-2014, 03:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

I admit I haven't read this thread thoroughly so I don't know if this has been fielded yet but I just want to put in my two cents: I am very disappointed that they aren't having a winter wedding. Can you imagine around Christmas/New Year's with all the snow - maybe even with snow falling and everything inside ablaze with candles and red and gold? How could they pass that up? JMO.
Old 07-26-2014, 03:11 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Personally, I think a lot of it has to do with the passing down of the name. Up until recent times. when a woman married, she took her husband's name and would be a part of his "house" or dynastic line.

Carl Philip Bernadotte in times past (outside of the royal succession), being the first male, would be the one in the family to pass the name of Bernadotte down into future generations. Victoria would listed in family trees as nee Bernadotte.
Old 07-26-2014, 03:12 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilia C. View Post
I don't think the CP's wedding will be bigger than Madeleine's because of him being male, or ranking higher in the succession. But M. reportedly wanted a small and private wedding and the King talked her into the public wedding she had. So if CP's wedding should be grander than M's, that's probably his and Sofia's choice.
But there was a very large amount of personal friends of Madeleine and Chris as guests. I would be surprised if there are as many personal friends as guests at Carl Philip's and Sofia's wedding. And although Carl Philip is third in the line of succession and Madeleine fourth, Carl Philip's wedding should not be "bigger" than Madeleine's. Either of them is the heir to the throne and future monarch and they should be treated equally. Of course, if Carl Philip and Sofia want a smaller wedding, they can do as they like.
At Madeleine's wedding there were over 500 guests at the church and about 400 guests at the dinner. At Victoria's wedding there were about 1200 guests at the church and 558 at the dinner.
Old 07-26-2014, 04:25 PM
Nobility

I seriously doubt that Sofia will wear the same tiara Madeleine wore on her wedding day.
Old 07-26-2014, 04:51 PM
Heir Apparent

What about the Six-Button-Tiara?
I had a dream: Let's connect our thoughts together, than we have a mission, let's connect our feelings together, than we have a mood, let's connect our dreams together, than we have a vision and let's connect our mission, our mood and our vision together than we have a perfect life.
Old 07-26-2014, 05:25 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by principessa View Post
What about the Six-Button-Tiara?
This is one has been worn by many ladies in the SRF so it is available for sharing; it (and the 4 button one) needs big tiara hair, but maybe if she weirs a big veil that could work too.
Would be interesting to see how they look on Sofia, so even if not for the wedding i hope she wears them at some point in the coming years...
Old 07-26-2014, 08:06 PM
Royal Highness

I liked Sofia wore the Tiara Bragança at your wedding.
Old 07-27-2014, 01:50 AM
Aristocracy

I don't know why, but I think Sofia will wear a tiara with blue stones.
I also think that there will be royal representation from other countries at the wedding if only as guests of Silvia and GC.
Estelle will make a delightful flowergirl. I predict that the wedding will be traditional including Sofia in a dress with a high neckline.
Old 07-27-2014, 01:53 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Real View Post
The Braganza tiara is the grandest tiara of the swedish royal family, worn by the current queen only. Queen Silvia has made it a tradition to wear it for incoming state visits from reigning monarchs and she also wore it for Crown Princess Victoria’s and Prince Daniel’s wedding in 2010 and for the sixtieth birthday of King Carl Gustaf in 2006. She has also worn it for most official portraits, but she has never worn it at the Nobel prize ceremony. Since crown princess Victoria can't wear it, neither can Sofia.
Old 07-27-2014, 03:24 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-Z View Post
Yes, i know all that, but that's not what i'm talking about: CP is the male line descendant from the first Bernadotte, and that was what i was trying to say: in some families that is something special.
I'm not talking about dynasty, line to the throne or any of that; even in my own family (who are not hierarchical or tradionalists at all) when a male line descendent has a son, we mention it as a 'fun fact'. For us, that's about it, nothing special is expected or done when the situation occurs, but I'm sure there are some families who still consider it more than a fun fact...
I agree. Carl Philip, born as Crown Prince, is the new link in the unbroken royal male lineage of Swedish Bernadottes.

A little correction on the styles of the Dutch: Juliana was born a Duchess of Mecklenburg, Beatrix and her sisters are born Princess von Lippe-Biesterfeld, Willem-Alexander and his brothers are born Jonkheer van Amsberg. So in all cases the name and title or predicate of the father was respected. The title `Prince (Princess) of Orange-Nassau' ended as a hereditary title with Queen Wilhelmina, being the last male dynast. It then was changed from a hereditary title with a surname into a purely dynastic title and since then consequently granted to each new generation. The same happened recently in Denmark: all sons of Prince Henrik are now Count de Laborde de Montpezat as well, next to their title Prince of Denmark.
Old 07-27-2014, 03:40 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Real View Post
Like LadyFinn said, this one is exclusivey worn by the queen, so it's highly unlikely Sofia will wear it (imo it's also too big as a wedding tiara if such a thing is possible)
Old 07-27-2014, 07:37 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
Add me to the list of people who don't really like the Cameo Tiara. It's a little on the large side IMO and I've never liked the white decorations on it. I'm not an expert on Swedish Royal Jewellery, although I do like the Laurel Wreath Tiara. It's quite pretty and looked lovely when Crown Princess Margareta wore it on her wedding day.

As for Sofia's dress, I think it will be designed by Valentino since he designed Princess Madeleine's dress and I think Lili von Rosboch von Wolkenstein's dress was also one of his designs. I'm guessing that her dress will be in that lacy style as well.
I hope she avoids lace. Lace is not for her imo. Simple yet elegant is more like her. She looked wonderful at Madeleines wedding and also hat a beautiful jacket at Victoriadagen this year. A wedding dress in that kind of style would be wonderful. Maybe one or two special details but nothing more. I've searched for examples of what type of wedding dress I could see her in and came up with this:

Bestseller Brautkleider 2014 - hochzeitsrausch Köln

But with another topline. No lace, but maybe something like this:

Pronovias präsentiert Ihnen das Modell Kainda. Atelier 2015. | Pronovias

Pronovias präsentiert Ihnen das Modell Barcaza. Costura 2015. | Pronovias

Pronovias präsentiert Ihnen das Modell Bonnie. Costura 2015. | Pronovias

I'm a firm supporter of fair chance's.
Use your chance, Sofia. You're doing a fine job so far.
Old 07-27-2014, 08:09 AM
Serene Highness

I'm hoping for the Connaught tiara.

I find it a pity they will also get married in the summer. I think a winter wedding à la Casiraghi-Santo Domingo would have looked great in the Swedish winter.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:18 AM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
I admit I haven't read this thread thoroughly so I don't know if this has been fielded yet but I just want to put in my two cents: I am very disappointed that they aren't having a winter wedding. Can you imagine around Christmas/New Year's with all the snow - maybe even with snow falling and everything inside ablaze with candles and red and gold? How could they pass that up? JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdm View Post
I'm hoping for the Connaught tiara.

I find it a pity they will also get married in the summer. I think a winter wedding à la Casiraghi-Santo Domingo would have looked great in the Swedish winter.
I love winter weddings too - I've always wanted to get married in the winter, all that snow amongst a white dress is quite magical IMO. However my country can be a little funny when it comes to snow, we've had it for three years in a row until last year, when it was just rainy and cold.

I agree, it would be nice if Carl Philip and Sofia had a winter wedding, although perhaps they won't have one for the practicality of it - a carriage in icy roads might not be that sensible. Also, I've noticed that newly married Swedish Royal couples tend to go in a boat after their wedding, and the river would probably have frozen over by the winter, so that's another reason as to why a winter wedding might not be the best idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitKat2006 View Post
I hope she avoids lace. Lace is not for her imo. Simple yet elegant is more like her. She looked wonderful at Madeleines wedding and also hat a beautiful jacket at Victoriadagen this year. A wedding dress in that kind of style would be wonderful. Maybe one or two special details but nothing more. I've searched for examples of what type of wedding dress I could see her in and came up with this:

But with another topline. No lace, but maybe something like this:

Pronovias präsentiert Ihnen das Modell Kainda. Atelier 2015. | Pronovias

Pronovias präsentiert Ihnen das Modell Barcaza. Costura 2015. | Pronovias

Pronovias präsentiert Ihnen das Modell Bonnie. Costura 2015. | Pronovias
It was just a guess, since as I've said before, most royal brides have worn lacy dresses for the past three years or so. Having said that, I do love the dress in the link that I highlighted - it's gorgeous and I can picture it quite easily on Sofia.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 07-27-2014, 10:58 AM
Serene Highness

Somehow I can't picture a wedding in the winter at all. I associate winter with snow and cold and while that can be romantic it's by no means certain that present day winters *have* snow. Usually they are either just dry or rainy .

So although it means the wait is longer I am glad that they chose a summer wedding - I think it gives them more possibilities.
And red and gold - as Lady Nimue mentioned - are absolutely not colors that I associate with a wedding. Like the bridal bouquets of deep red roses that were in fashion a couple of years ago (maybe still?). That doesn't suit with a white wedding dress at all, in my opinion.
I suppose the winter wedding theme fit with the Casiraghi-Santa Domingo's nuptials but they are a very different branch, imo. Yes, I know it was only meant as an example .

KitKat2006; I hope that the links you provided are really for what you cite as their style? Because most are strapless and if there is 1 thing I strongly dislike with wedding dresses...

And yes, she wore a nice gown and suitable gown at Madeleine's wedding and I also liked her outfit at Victoriadagen, but as the bride she must stand out (along with her groom) so I think that is the moment to take her chance.

Apart from all that, I don't really know what type of gown I would like to see her in, I'll await what Sofia chooses.
Old 07-27-2014, 12:06 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
The traditional open carriage ride in the streets of Stockholm and other outdoor events involving interaction between the public and the royal familiy would be complicated in the winter. As you may know, it is pretty cold in Sweden around Christmas/New Year's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Personally, I think a lot of it has to do with the passing down of the name. Up until recent times. when a woman married, she took her husband's name and would be a part of his "house" or dynastic line.

Carl Philip Bernadotte in times past (outside of the royal succession), being the first male, would be the one in the family to pass the name of Bernadotte down into future generations. Victoria would listed in family trees as nee Bernadotte.
I believe prince Daniel actually legally changed his name to "Westling-Bernadotte" to pass on the Bernadotte name to his children.

You are right that a royal dynasty used to be extinguished in the past when there were no more legitimate descendants in male line ascending the throne, but that rule hasn't been observed in some monarchies for quite some time. The House of Orange-Nassau for example technically ended with Queen Wilhelmina. Juliana would belong to the "House of Mecklenburg-Schwerin" ; Beatrix in turn would be the first monarch of the "House of Lippe-Besterfeld" and both Willem-Alexander and Amalia would be members of the "House of Amsberg". Nevertheless, all the aformentioned Dutch royals kept the name "Orange-Nassau" just as the "House of Windsor" won't die with Queen Elizabeth II and be replaced by the "House of Mountbatten".
Old 07-27-2014, 12:28 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
I believe prince Daniel actually legally changed his name to "Westling-Bernadotte" to pass on the Bernadotte name to his children.
Of course the king wanted that Victoria's children would have Bernadotte as their last name although the royals officially don't use it. According to the swedish name law Daniel could take Bernadotte as his last name and keep Westling as middle name. And that happened.
Old 07-27-2014, 03:55 PM
Heir Presumptive

I love this dress! This would be perfection on her. Just the right note would be struck.

I also want this dress! Must get married again!

Closed Thread

Tags
carl philip, prince carl philip, sofia hellqvist, wedding