The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden > Prince Carl Philip and Princess Sofia

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 03:36 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahedwards2 View Post
When my dad's younger brother got married 20 years ago, his wife's father had died several years earlier, so her brother-in-law walked her down the aisle and gave her away. (I was the flower girl that day, two months away from my fourth birthday.) Same with their oldest brother in 1981; his wife was given away by her uncle (her dad's brother).

If I ever get married (I'm in no rush to find a man), when the minister asks "Who gives this woman", my dad will say "Her mother and I", because he refuses to do it alone, even though he will be the one walking his firstborn child and only daughter down the aisle. My brothers will probably both walk our mom down the aisle; each taking an arm. My parents have been married for 38 years now; since they were my age, 24 (25 at the end of July), and knew each other for 10 years before that; they were high school sweethearts, and met the first day of ninth grade. My one brother will be 22 five days after Valentine's Day (he has the same birthday as Prince Andrew), and the other one will be 19 two weeks from today.
There is no "who gives this woman"-question in the swedish wedding ritual. It was abandoned during the 1800's, at the same time as the tradition of the couple walking down the aisle together was established. I think it mirrors the evolution of women's right in society over here. The church of Sweden also recommends that the swedish tradition should be kept. That is a big part of why it caused such an uproar around Victorias wedding.

I do accept that different countries have different traditions. I like the swedish tradition, not just because it's tradition but because it mirrors the equality between men and women in society. But my main hangup - that I still can't get over - is that I don't think that members of the royal family should try to stand up against the wish and tradition of the church when they chose a church wedding.

When it comes to Sofia and CP, I think they will chose the swedish tradition of walking down the aisle together, for several reasons. The biggest one is that they are aware how much fuzz it caused when the princesses chose to go against the church tradition. If they want to score points with the church, the population in general (and people in the women's rights movement in particular) this is an easy choice.

Old 01-06-2015, 03:51 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenobia View Post
There is no "who gives this woman"-question in the swedish wedding ritual. It was abandoned during the 1800's, at the same time as the tradition of the couple walking down the aisle together was established. I think it mirrors the evolution of women's right in society over here. The church of Sweden also recommends that the swedish tradition should be kept. That is a big part of why it caused such an uproar around Victorias wedding.

I do accept that different countries have different traditions. I like the swedish tradition, not just because it's tradition but because it mirrors the equality between men and women in society. But my main hangup - that I still can't get over - is that I don't think that members of the royal family should try to stand up against the wish and tradition of the church when they chose a church wedding.

When it comes to Sofia and CP, I think they will chose the swedish tradition of walking down the aisle together, for several reasons. The biggest one is that they are aware how much fuzz it caused when the princesses chose to go against the church tradition. If they want to score points with the church, the population in general (and people in the women's rights movement in particular) this is an easy choice.
I hardly think Vickan & Madeleine's choice to walk with their father part of the way has affected their popularity at all.

If you believe in equality, then a woman's choice to walk or not walk with her father/brother/whomever down the aisle is included in that equality. It is her choice and thus it should not be judged, particularly in Sweden where supposedly equality between the sexes is much more prevalent. You can disagree with it and do your own thing, but I think it's wholly unfair to look down upon Vickan & Madeleine because they wanted that moment with their father.

Just my opinion.

Old 01-06-2015, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Thanks I had forgotten that,it will be interesting to see what orders Sofia gets once she's a member of the Swedish RF.
Old 01-06-2015, 04:07 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
If the follow the example of Princess Lilian she will get the Order of the Polar Star and later the Order of the Seraphim.
But actually this time it is easier then with Daniel because as bride she will for sure not wear the Order on her Wedding Day.
She the King could do as in this case, but the motive would differ. The Order of the Seraphim couldn't be bestowed to Lilian. From 1975 until a change of the law in 1995 the order just could be bestowed to Heads of states. After the change in 1995 members could get the order as well.

I think it clearly will depend on which title she gets. If she gets a Princess she will be bestowed the Seraphim, if Duchess the Polar Star
Old 01-06-2015, 04:12 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by GömdNatt View Post
I hardly think Vickan & Madeleine's choice to walk with their father part of the way has affected their popularity at all.

If you believe in equality, then a woman's choice to walk or not walk with her father/brother/whomever down the aisle is included in that equality. It is her choice and thus it should not be judged, particularly in Sweden where supposedly equality between the sexes is much more prevalent. You can disagree with it and do your own thing, but I think it's wholly unfair to look down upon Vickan & Madeleine because they wanted that moment with their father.

Just my opinion.
I didn't talk about their popularity in general. But yes, it has affected how people who are working with women's right here view them.

But my main point was that it goes against the wish and tradition of the church of Sweden. I've worked there myself, and have several friends (priests) who were deeply concerned by the request/demand from the court at the time of Victorias and Madeleines weddings. It wasn't something that the chuch had expected, and the decision to allow it was (and still is) debated within the clergy.

So for Sofia and CP's wedding, I think that they have all the reasons in the world to follow the swedish tradition.
Old 01-06-2015, 04:54 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingen View Post
She the King could do as in this case, but the motive would differ. The Order of the Seraphim couldn't be bestowed to Lilian. From 1975 until a change of the law in 1995 the order just could be bestowed to Heads of states. After the change in 1995 members could get the order as well.

I think it clearly will depend on which title she gets. If she gets a Princess she will be bestowed the Seraphim, if Duchess the Polar Star
But also not the order of the Polar Star. As far as i know it Princess Lilian got the order of the Polar Star before her Wedding when still was a british citizen. And Queen Silvia got the Order of the Serpahim before her Wedding as german citizen.
Old 01-06-2015, 05:23 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
But also not the order of the Polar Star. As far as i know it Princess Lilian got the order of the Polar Star before her Wedding when still was a british citizen. And Queen Silvia got the Order of the Serpahim before her Wedding as german citizen.
Of course you're right Stefan. The Queen received it before the marriage and therefor would Lilian be able to receive it as well.
Old 01-07-2015, 05:46 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingen View Post

Can Sofia be given the titles of Princess and Duchess?
Old 01-07-2015, 06:46 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post

Can Sofia be given the titles of Princess and Duchess?
Yes she could, as Prince Daniel was created both prince and duke. I think it is most likely that she will be H.R.H Princess Sofia, Duchess of Värmland.
Old 01-10-2015, 02:42 AM
Royal Highness

I didn't walk down the aisle with my father as I didn't think I was being "given away " Wish I hadn't walked down that aisle at all now but that's a WHOLE another story

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 01-11-2015, 03:06 AM
Courtier

I stumbled across the picture recently...am I missing something? I don't think she was married before. This may just be a modeling picture from back in the day, either way it might give some insight into how Sofia would look in a strapless wedding gown. I personally don't think she will go strapless, I'm more than positive some or all of her arms will be covered but I guess that's to be determined.

http://i59.tinypic.com/2nr3us6.jpg
Old 01-11-2015, 03:14 AM
Imperial Majesty

According to Svensk Damtidning the photo is from a release party in 2005.
Old 01-11-2015, 03:29 AM
Heir Presumptive

She looks very pretty. Of course, she's young here. Still, she will be a beautiful bride.
Old 01-11-2015, 03:55 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
According to Svensk Damtidning the photo is from a release party in 2005.

Ah ok thank you! It didn't look new to me.
Old 01-29-2015, 02:39 AM
Imperial Majesty

On the cover of Svensk Damtidning
Sofia's secret
She has already chosen her wedding dress
The designer everybody is talking about
SDT1506_HiResFiles(1)
Old 01-30-2015, 12:27 PM
Courtier

Who is the designer?
Old 01-31-2015, 12:03 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
On the cover of Svensk Damtidning
Sofia's secret
She has already chosen her wedding dress
The designer everybody is talking about
SDT1506_HiResFiles(1)
I'm hoping she goes with a figure hugging dress. She has the figure and could pull it off.

So many royal brides have big, flouncy dresses. Such dresses are nice, make no mistake, but it would be nice to see something different for a change.
Old 01-31-2015, 01:57 AM
Majesty

The biggest problem of a figure hugging or even a column gown in a royal wedding is, to be honest, it is inappropriate. If she is getting married in a cathedral or even a large church, she would look brash and be called vulgar and it is not as if there enough people already crying doom to the family for admitting someone who is, in their eyes, not fit to be there.

Whatever other consideration taken into account, her wedding is the one place where she sets the standard others will judge her by. She makes her mark and everyone else disects it Her wedding is the last place she needs to send the wrong sort of message.

We often talk about the difference between an evening gown and a gala gown, the same applies to wedding gowns. If it is a family and friends only wedding, then she can go slim and slinky. But, if it is a semi-state occasion then she goes large enough to not get lost walking up the aisle, elegant enough to have everyone nodding approval and romantic enough to win over the hardest of hearts and hopefully turn CP to mush.

It's a big ask but you only have to look at Victoria and Madeleine. There is no similarity whatsoever in their gowns. They are as different as night and day, just as the sisters are, and yet they both managed to express themselves in their choice of wedding gown while manageing to look exactly as we expected, romantic and in love so I can't wait to see what Sofia wears because I don't really have a sense of what her personal style is.

These are the evening looks I have seen so far:

http://royalweddings.hellomagazine.c...llqvist--z.jpgOh dear, shapeless sack!
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...2748bcae82.jpg Lovely styling around the waist and bust.
http://w.cdn-expressen.se/images/29/...nan/965@70.jpgYellow is definitely not her colour, but the waist and bust/shoulders are beautifully emphasised
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/i...Di4RnMB9ZNTLER Much the same bust and shoulderline as above.
http://www.glamour.com/images/fashio...dress-h724.jpg Shiney and just not her in some way? Sort of plastic.
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/i...4cDFJJflsQN06g Ghastly colour and not keen on the overall style but the waist and bustline are once again beautifully accentuated.
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/i...wK6NThl45lLwOw Madam Zorah wants her lace back to decorate the Tarot Tent!
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/i...OyKLnrHWXmGiec Oh dear, yet another shapeless sack in a colour that drains the life out of her.

So, there is no main theme there except maybe the bust and waist, so I guess we wait and see.
Old 01-31-2015, 01:58 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHAmy View Post
Who is the designer?
Of course they don't know that.
Svensk Damtidning writes in it's article, that Sofia has made her decision and there is one very lucky designer who already is working with the dress...
There are a lot of rumours in Sweden and many say that it will be Pär Engsheden (who designed Victoria's wedding dress and Victoria's gorgeous red dress to Nobel 2014), another designer who is at the guesses is Ida Sjöstedt. And Ida Lanto is the third name said. They are all Swedes.
Svensk Damtidning has asked from 10 people involved in fashion (stylists, fashion editors and designers), what kind of dress it will be and who will be the designer. Some say that the dress will have long sleeves, some say that it will be classical. The names mostly mentioned are Engsheden, Sjöstedt and Lanto. But there are also mentioned Phoebe Philo, Isabel Marant, Delpozo, Wilhja, Valentino, Zuhair Murad, Elie Saab. Many think/hope that Sofia will choose a swedish designer.
Old 01-31-2015, 02:38 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
The biggest problem of a figure hugging or even a column gown in a royal wedding is, to be honest, it is inappropriate.
I've never heard this, and if it is a held-belief out there, I think it's high time such constraints were breached. Anyway, I've never heard of such, and I'm around a lot of church-types, being a church-goer myself.

Quote:
If she is getting married in a cathedral or even a large church, she would look brash and be called vulgar
I have to disagree. This idea is foreign to me. A figure hugging gown, done well (as it would be!), can create the most stunning and elegant impression in a large space, especially with flowers and crowns, veils and trains.

Quote:
and it is not as if there enough people already crying doom to the family for admitting someone who is, in their eyes, not fit to be there.
It seems you are suggesting that if Sofia shows herself to be a sexual being she will be pilloried. A bit like Pippa's bum? Are you saying that? I don't think anyone faults her for being passionate or attractive. Objections to her are rooted in quite other concerns (imo) but need not be gone into here, of course. Dressing well, and in her own style, can only make her more authentic. I'm looking forward to something dramatic and every ounce her, not what she thinks she should wear to be 'acceptable'.

Quote:
Whatever other consideration taken into account, her wedding is the one place where she sets the standard others will judge her by. She makes her mark and everyone else disects it Her wedding is the last place she needs to send the wrong sort of message.
I don't think a 'column gown' is the 'wrong sort of message'. It's hard to figure out what you mean. Princess Charlene of Monaco wore a 'column gown' at her wedding and looked every inch the princess. No 'wrong message' was conveyed. Methinks you worry too much.

Tags
carl philip, prince carl philip, sofia hellqvist, wedding