The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden > Prince Carl Philip and Princess Sofia

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 04:03 PM
Imperial Majesty

If foreign royals are attending, the British royal family will most likely send either Edward & Sophie or it could be Prince & Princess Michael of Kent.

Although, I highly doubt William & Catherine would be attending, it would be nice to start sending the younger royals to foreign royal weddings and events. It would be a chance for them to form a relationship with the continental royals. Always sending Edward & Sophie is nice but I think it's best for an actual future King & Queen to get to know their royal counterparts.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 10-31-2014, 04:21 PM
Heir Presumptive

Is it likely that P.C-P will wear a uniform to his wedding? Or will he be wearing a suit?

Old 10-31-2014, 04:35 PM
Courtier

I'm sure he will wear a uniform. He wore uniform at both his sisters weddings. So why should he not wear uniform at his own wedding? Doesn't make sense to me.

I'm a firm supporter of fair chance's.
Use your chance, Sofia. You're doing a fine job so far.
Old 10-31-2014, 04:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

I've seen pictures of him in many different uniforms, any idea which one he'll be wearing for his own wedding? Or are the various uniforms over the years related to the rank he holds and therefore the one he'll wear now is automatically linked to his current rank?
Old 10-31-2014, 05:30 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
I don't think either C-P or Sofia will give a rat's patootie who the BRF sends, or if they send no one. The BRF might send no one, as you know Sofia has posed nude and that just might be something that would smite the BRF sensibilities.
I'm in agreement with this. The invitation is probably sent but whether or not anyone from the UK attends doesn't really matter.

I am assuming that this wedding is similar to William and Kate's. It was a big deal for the British royal family but wasn't a state wedding as Charles' was. Heads of State or their representatives aren't really required.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 10-31-2014, 05:57 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-Z View Post
Is it likely that P.C-P will wear a uniform to his wedding? Or will he be wearing a suit?
A uniform, he has never worn a suit to either a wedding or a christening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitKat2006 View Post
I'm sure he will wear a uniform. He wore uniform at both his sisters weddings. So why should he not wear uniform at his own wedding? Doesn't make sense to me.
I agree, he will be a uniformed groom. Heck, he'd better be. Carl Philip, if you don't wear your uniform, you're not a proper groom to me

Quote:
I've seen pictures of him in many different uniforms, any idea which one he'll be wearing for his own wedding? Or are the various uniforms over the years related to the rank he holds and therefore the one he'll wear now is automatically linked to his current rank?
Pages 8 and 9 of this thread have a discussion about his uniform(s), perhaps you can take a look there?
Only thing I don't know is whether there is a change in uniform style now that he has been promoted to Major or that he'll wear the uniform he also wore at Madeleine's wedding and "updated" with the decorations that belong to his new rank.
Old 10-31-2014, 06:29 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
Pages 8 and 9 of this thread have a discussion about his uniform(s), perhaps you can take a look there?
Only thing I don't know is whether there is a change in uniform style now that he has been promoted to Major or that he'll wear the uniform he also wore at Madeleine's wedding and "updated" with the decorations that belong to his new rank.
I guess he will wear the same uniform as he did at both his sisters weddings. In fact the King wore the exactly same uniform at these weddings and he is Admiral in the Navy. The uniform is the Navy's gala uniform (mess dress?) model 1878 and is used for white tie occasions. I guess he will have some changes made to mark his new rank as Major in the Navy.
Old 10-31-2014, 08:51 PM
Heir Presumptive

Do you think any of the Sommerlath relatives will be bridesmaids?
Old 10-31-2014, 09:43 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
You know what? If he looks like he's had a shower, shampoo, and shave , I don't really care what clothes he wears. He just always looks so sweaty / greasy/oily .
Old 11-01-2014, 02:19 AM
Imperial Majesty

Carl Philip and the king wore at Victoria's and Madeleine's weddings the mess dress model 1878. This mess uniform for the navy is the military equivalent of formal evening dress and can be worn on festive occasions, when a tail coat is worn according to civil custom.
The mess dress comprises a navy blue mess jacket, white waistcoat, navy blue trousers with gold stripes, dress shirt and black bow tie.

At Victoria's wedding Carl Philip wore the Order of the Seraphim's chain and grand star (The King wore the Order of the Seraphim and Order of Vasa on chains).
On his chest (from inside outwards) Carl Philip had H.M. The King's Commemorative Medal, the National Service Medal and a training medal from Karlberg.
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image
http://www.kungahuset.se/royalcourt/...480003630.html

At Madeleine's wedding Carl Philip wore the Order of the Seraphim on a ribbon with grand star (the king didn't wear any orders on chains). On his chest (from inside outwards) Carl Philip wore H.M. The King's Commemorative Medal, the National Service Medal, a training medal from Karlberg and the Uppland Medal.
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image
http://www.kungahuset.se/royalcourt/...119aa6f39.html
Old 11-01-2014, 02:51 AM
Serene Highness

I have a question Lady Finn, All these medals and ribbons and other things that they wear on these uniforms, are they just for show or did they actually do something to earn them? This is a question that I have often wondered about for years now ...and this goes for any royal man with a medal. I know that you can't answer and I don't a expect an answer for all royal men and their medals. Medals to me mean that you actually earn them, you worked in the military and served your county, not just to put on someone to make they look like they did something or that they are bigger or better then anyone else...........military serve means a lot to me in my family as does those medals.

Lady Finn,
I read that CPC was promoted to major, what did he do and when did he serve in the military to get this promotion? From reading that in the last time he served in the military during some training session, he left during the session and then came back to finish it............is this the way the Swedish military work....I don't think so.
Old 11-01-2014, 05:47 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by SElizabeth View Post
Lady Finn,
I read that CPC was promoted to major, what did he do and when did he serve in the military to get this promotion? From reading that in the last time he served in the military during some training session, he left during the session and then came back to finish it............is this the way the Swedish military work....I don't think so.
Carl Philip is a Naval Reserve Officer, you can read about his service in the military here
Biography - Sveriges Kungahus [NS4 version]
When he was appointed to the position of Major, the court wrote:
Prince Carl Philip is appointed to the position of Major - Sveriges Kungahus [NS4 version]

We need a Swede to answer how reserve officers are promoted in Sweden. Here in Finland reserve promotions are based on the completed training and wartime role, the position and suitability. Promotion is not an automation, even if the minimum number of refresher training days and the last time to enable a promotion would be completed. There has to be gone at least five years from the previous promotion that you can be promoted again, and at the promotion of reserve officers the minimum period is extended, the higher the value of the military is all about. But this is in Finland, I don't know about Sweden.
Old 11-01-2014, 06:15 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
ok, i will, but at least it got the topic of conversation away a bit from the british wedding guests, didn't it
Old 11-01-2014, 10:47 AM
Nobility

Prince Carl Philip's uniform will show his new military rank as Majar. He will therefor have a new golden ring on each of the arms of the uniform jacket.

For the different military ranks in Sweden. The Amfibie corps is the third line. http://www.forsvarsmakten.se/siteass...ckningar_1.pdf
Old 11-01-2014, 05:42 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by SElizabeth View Post
I have a question Lady Finn, All these medals and ribbons and other things that they wear on these uniforms, are they just for show or did they actually do something to earn them? This is a question that I have often wondered about for years now ...and this goes for any royal man with a medal. I know that you can't answer and I don't a expect an answer for all royal men and their medals. Medals to me mean that you actually earn them, you worked in the military and served your county, not just to put on someone to make they look like they did something or that they are bigger or better then anyone else...........military serve means a lot to me in my family as does those medals.

Lady Finn,
These medals and honours aren't ones like the military service medals that you're thinking of. They're honours that are conferred by the monarch for various reasons. CP currently is a Knight of the Order of Charles XIII, a Knight with Collar of the Royal Order of the Seraphim, and a Commander of the Royal Order of the Polar Star. He's also been awarded the HM King Carl XVI Gustaf 50th Anniversary Medal and the Commemorative Ruby Jubilee Medal of His Majesty the King.

I'm not entirely sure what the requirements were in order to receive the two anniversary medals, but I do know that his mother, sisters, and aunts have both, and his brothers-in-law and elder niece have the Ruby Jubilee Medal.

The Royal Order of the Seraphim is at this point only awarded to foreign heads of state (as well as several royal consorts and heirs) and members of the Swedish Royal family - and is held by every single member of the SRF, including Estelle and Leonore.

The Order of the Polar Star at this point is also only awarded to members of the Swedish Royal family and foreigners, primarily foreign office holders and members of junior members of foreign RFs. Currently, all the male members of the SRF have this honour, while the adult female members have the Royal Family Order of King Carl XVI Gustaf of Sweden.

The Order of Charles XIII is held by all princes of Sweden from birth, but is only worn by them if they are Knights Commanders Red Cross of the Swedish Order of Freemasons. Both Carl Philip and his father have this honour, but neither are Freemasons so they don't wear it.
Old 11-02-2014, 02:02 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
I don't think either C-P or Sofia will give a rat's patootie who the BRF sends, or if they send no one. The BRF might send no one, as you know Sofia has posed nude and that just might be something that would smite the BRF sensibilities.

I don't think that the BRF sensibilities would be upset by the past posing of the bride. Remember Harry has been photographed nude and Catherine has flashed her butt cheeks. (In the wind and unintentionally, admittedly.) I still think that Andrew would be the most available royal if Edward and Sofie are committed to the Trooping of the Colours.
I also expect that Charlene and Albert will attend. Albert's sister has been photographed topless after all. Actually, I think many European Royals will be there. It's a party, it's a celebration and to shun a wedding invitation is very rude.
I suspect that Carl Philip will wear a dark uniform and I think he will shave.
I predict that Estelle will be an attendant.
Which other child attendants would be appropriate?
Old 11-05-2014, 02:50 PM
Imperial Majesty

On the cover of Hänt Extra
Controls with an iron fist
Refuses of a small wedding in the countryside
"Sofia walks over kind Carl Philip"
http://www.allerbutiken.se/Global/Covers/HEX.jpg

So it seems that Sofia's honeymoon with the swedish gossip press is finally over.
Old 11-05-2014, 09:15 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
On the cover of Hänt Extra
Controls with an iron fist
Refuses of a small wedding in the countryside
"Sofia walks over kind Carl Philip"
http://www.allerbutiken.se/Global/Covers/HEX.jpg

So it seems that Sofia's honeymoon with the swedish gossip press is finally over.
The bolded doesn't surprise me, if it's true. Yep, 'honeymoon' over.

Given Carl Philip's life-long temperament, most women would be strong compared to him.
Old 11-06-2014, 12:04 AM
Administrator

I had to check the title of this thread because I thought I was in the British forums for a second.

In the absence of any online Swedish mods...let's stay on topic of the thread....Carl Philip and Sofia.

And yes, off topic posts about Harry have been deleted.

Additional off topic posts will be deleted without notice.

Zonk
TRF Administrator

Old 11-30-2014, 05:06 AM
Courtier

Any information re the following:-

1. Dress Designer (same as Victoria)
2. Bridal Attendants (will her sister be a bridesmaid?
3. Carriage or Car?

Will it be Lace or Satin?

Closed Thread

Tags
carl philip, prince carl philip, sofia hellqvist, wedding