The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden > Prince Carl Philip and Princess Sofia

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 10:27 PM
Heir Apparent

I'm embarrassed people think a small country like Sweden or Luxemburg would register for royals like William and Harry. Why should British princes know who Prince Daniel is? 99.9 percent of Brits couldn't pick him out of a line up.

British royals have always been a breed apart from the Queen on down. I know continental royals and the bicycling monarchies of Scandinavia like to hang out with one another but the BRF like to stick to themselves and their own nobility

Old 10-30-2014, 10:34 PM
Heir Apparent

Well and let's face it....royalty doesn't mean the same thing anymore. All of them try to be more like regular people in many ways....that probably carries over to how they view other royals as well.

LaRae

Old 10-30-2014, 10:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

Why should a man who is in line to be the head of state know who a man who is married to a woman who is in line to be the head of another state? Seriously?

The whole idea of "the BRF are apart and don't need to know other royals because they're not important" is elitism and kind of ridiculous. That a person who is going to have a very significant role in his country - William is going to be king - can't recognize his counterparts from other realms is ridiculous. If he had snubbed Chris it would be one thing, but not Daniel - not the husband of the future Queen of Sweden.

But this is off topic for this thread, so I apologize to the mods.
Old 10-30-2014, 10:46 PM
Heir Apparent

No its not ridiculous. All of these families are just figureheads. Whether they have personal relationships is irrelevant. On State visits they just shake hands and raise a toast, that's it.

The BRF have never had close relationships with the continent so why start now. I'm sure the Queen and Prince Philip couldn't pick Prince Daniel out of a line up either unless he was pointed out
Old 10-30-2014, 11:06 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
Why should a man who is in line to be the head of state know who a man who is married to a woman who is in line to be the head of another state? Seriously?

The whole idea of "the BRF are apart and don't need to know other royals because they're not important" is elitism and kind of ridiculous. That a person who is going to have a very significant role in his country - William is going to be king - can't recognize his counterparts from other realms is ridiculous. If he had snubbed Chris it would be one thing, but not Daniel - not the husband of the future Queen of Sweden.

But this is off topic for this thread, so I apologize to the mods.

I could NOT possibly agree more if I wanted, Ish.

And btw, it is also NOT true that the BRF have never had close relations with the their peers on the Continent. Up to the present queen, they did and they have, especially since they are related to several of them by blood.

Till fairly recently, Grand Duke Jean-he of the "small country like Luxembourg"- rode at the side of HM at every Trooping the Color.

Skippy is absolutely right about one thing though...it matters not a fig to Carl-Philip, his fiancée, their families or the Swedes who the Windsors send to the wedding. The show will go on regardless, and if past Swedish Royal weddings are any indication it will be gorgeous.
Old 10-30-2014, 11:12 PM
Heir Apparent

And it matters not a fig to us in the Commonwealth who the Windsors send to Sweden. Its not like the wedding will receive any coverage in Canada
Old 10-30-2014, 11:15 PM
Heir Apparent

Just a bystander here...it won't even be mentioned by any of our media. The only royals they ever mention is the BRF and they only get press when something big happens.

LaRae
Old 10-30-2014, 11:23 PM
Majesty

Not sure where you live LaRae, but here in Los Angeles the weddings of CP Victoria and even Princess Madeleine made the local news.

So did those Felipe of Spain, Fred of Denmark, Albert of Monaco, and Guillaume of Luxembourg.

Haakon of Norway got a huge second page story in the L.A. Times because of Mette-Marit's notoriety at the time.

And those were just the weddings I happened to notice.

As for Royals, most ordinary people here in Southern California(with the exception of Hollywood types) don't care about Royalty period, and that includes William and Kate.
Old 10-30-2014, 11:30 PM
Heir Apparent

Every single major American news and cable network covered the wedding of William and Kate. CNN, FOX, ABC, CBS and networks across the world carried the wedding LIVE.

Other weddings and families just don't rate.
Old 10-30-2014, 11:43 PM
Courtier

I wonder what the wedding of The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and its coverage in the United State has to do with the wedding of The Duke of Värmland and Miss Sofia Hellqvist.

Also, it doesn't matter if the British Royal Family is superior than the other European Sovereign Families, it's not like the Swedes are asking Queen Elizabeth II to become their Monarch. I believe a majority of them are rather pleased with their King and their future Queen.
Old 10-30-2014, 11:49 PM
Heir Apparent

No doubt they are. But these discussions always turn into why the BRF isn't sending their top royals to the weddings of royals on the continent
Old 10-31-2014, 12:06 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
Every single major American news and cable network covered the wedding of William and Kate. CNN, FOX, ABC, CBS and networks across the world carried the wedding LIVE.

Other weddings and families just don't rate.
They don't "rate" with you obviously, but CNN carried Albert of Monaco's glorious wedding live as well, and I watched it live from start to finish which I did not do for William and Kate.

In any case, it goes without saying that the Swedish wedding will not be carried live around the world but not because the SRF doesn't rate. The wedding will be viewed by the ONLY people that matter... their families, their countrymen, and the folks who are interested enough to livestream it.
Old 10-31-2014, 12:07 AM
Heir Apparent

Isn't who goes from the BRF up to the Queen? It's her invite. Plus with a major ceremonial event -Trooping the Color at the same time as CP wedding, it takes out possible royals that could go. If people are saying that Charlene wouldn't go because of the babies, the same logic would also apply to the Cambridges who would only be several weeks post baby.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 10-31-2014, 01:34 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
I could NOT possibly agree more if I wanted, Ish.

And btw, it is also NOT true that the BRF have never had close relations with the their peers on the Continent. Up to the present queen, they did and they have, especially since they are related to several of them by blood.

Till fairly recently, Grand Duke Jean-he of the "small country like Luxembourg"- rode at the side of HM at every Trooping the Color.

Skippy is absolutely right about one thing though...it matters not a fig to Carl-Philip, his fiancée, their families or the Swedes who the Windsors send to the wedding. The show will go on regardless, and if past Swedish Royal weddings are any indication it will be gorgeous.

They're actually related to all of them by blood.

Every single European monarchy is descended from Johan Willem Friso, Prince of Orange.

Further, every single King or Queen Regent except for Willem-Alexander of the Netherlands is descended from either Christian IX of Denmark or Victoria of the UK, and a good many are descended from both.

The idea that QEII or the DoE wouldn't know the consort of another monarch's heir is laughable to me. The pair of them know their stuff. I would even expect the Queen's children and their spouses to know this stuff.

Also, the argument that the Swedes or other royals aren't important in terms of US news coverage doesn't mean that they're less important than the BRF. For starters, the U.S. fascination with the BRF is based on celebrity, not importance. And second of all, when did the U.S. become the determining factor in whether or not another nation's political figures are important? I doubt the American news outlets are going to pay too much attention to the upcoming Canadian federal election - does that mean it's not as important as an American one?
Old 10-31-2014, 01:42 AM
Aristocracy

Maybe the Duke of York will attend the wedding of Carl-Philip and Sofia.
I think he would enjoy taking Beatrice. I hope she wears exactly the same outfit that she wore to William and Catherine's wedding.
Beatrice is sweet, well mannered and would be a sociable guest.
Old 10-31-2014, 02:44 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
They're actually related to all of them by blood.

Every single European monarchy is descended from Johan Willem Friso, Prince of Orange.

Further, every single King or Queen Regent except for Willem-Alexander of the Netherlands is descended from either Christian IX of Denmark or Victoria of the UK, and a good many are descended from both.

The idea that QEII or the DoE wouldn't know the consort of another monarch's heir is laughable to me. The pair of them know their stuff. I would even expect the Queen's children and their spouses to know this stuff.

Also, the argument that the Swedes or other royals aren't important in terms of US news coverage doesn't mean that they're less important than the BRF. For starters, the U.S. fascination with the BRF is based on celebrity, not importance. And second of all, when did the U.S. become the determining factor in whether or not another nation's political figures are important? I doubt the American news outlets are going to pay too much attention to the upcoming Canadian federal election - does that mean it's not as important as an American one?
I consider myself a patriotic American. But if I said that the American fascination with the BRF isn't now based on little more than the cult of pop culture celebrity, I would not be telling the truth-though in all honesty it's also probably a shared language and the love-hate relationship many of us have with our "cousins" over the pond.

But you are exactly right. The U.S. is not and should not be the determining factor on which of the world's leaders are important enough. Lord knows we don't allow Europe or Canada or anyone else a say in how we feel about how our elected officials.

Finally, the fact that all of the current European Royal dynasties except one share a common descent from one man(I didn't know this, btw) simply reinforces my opinion that the British Royal family are NOT somehow more important than their Continental cousins at all. And yes, HM, the DoE and Prince Charles not only know their peers, they are respectful and even affectionate to many of them when they find themselves together at a gathering like they did a few years ago at the queen's Jubilee celebrations.
Old 10-31-2014, 06:53 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
Not sure where you live LaRae, but here in Los Angeles the weddings of CP Victoria and even Princess Madeleine made the local news.

So did those Felipe of Spain, Fred of Denmark, Albert of Monaco, and Guillaume of Luxembourg.

Haakon of Norway got a huge second page story in the L.A. Times because of Mette-Marit's notoriety at the time.

And those were just the weddings I happened to notice.

As for Royals, most ordinary people here in Southern California(with the exception of Hollywood types) don't care about Royalty period, and that includes William and Kate.

Midwest...however not everyone has 200 channels and the national news carriers (CBS/NBC etc) don't get much into it either ..you might find a mention on the Today Show or something like that but they aren't gonna cover it ...and outside the BRF none of the other royals make the news unless there is something major (like a death or scandal and even then we haven't heard a word about the Spanish stuff going on)... it's generally a quick blip. Even for the BRF..it's gotta be a wedding or funeral or Harry naked in Vegas before it rates a mention.

LaRae
Old 10-31-2014, 03:03 PM
Heir Apparent

Who would have though the BRF representation would have taken up so much of this thread?....

It's likely going to be Edward and Sophie as they attended Victoria's and Madeleine's. I am unsure why it's even considered that Andrew will go - he has only attended a couple of foreign royal weddings so why would he start going now? The Wessex's know the other royals much better and are considered friends now after their attendance at weddings. They were invited to Willem-Alexander and Martha-Louise's 40th birthdays as friends, not royals, and Sophie was invited to the Monaco Grand Prix in 2012 by Albert and Charlene as she was there for other engagements.

Out of the Windsor's, Edward and Sophie are the likely attendees. It makes sense as this will likely be the last wedding they attend. The other weddings of future royals (Amalia, Leonor etc.) will be in many years when William and Catherine, or Harry as youngest child of the Monarch by then, will be attending.
Old 10-31-2014, 03:33 PM
Heir Presumptive

People think Andrew will go because unlike Edward he doesn't have a role to play in the Trooping of Colours. Edward might not ride, but he is a colonel of a Guard Division regiment and therefore is required at the Trooping. Charles, Anne, William, and the DoK are all also Colonels of Guard Divisions and therefore cannot miss the Trooping (along with the Queen and DoE). That leaves, of the Queen's children, just Andrew.
Old 10-31-2014, 03:33 PM
Heir Apparent

I don't think either C-P or Sofia will give a rat's patootie who the BRF sends, or if they send no one. The BRF might send no one, as you know Sofia has posed nude and that just might be something that would smite the BRF sensibilities.

Tags
carl philip, prince carl philip, sofia hellqvist, wedding