A Boy for Carl Philip and Sofia - Gabriel Carl Walther: August 31, 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gabriel Carl Walter, Duke of Dalarna.

Very good choices, both name and duchy!

Very fitting given that Sofia is from Dalarna

There's already prince Gabriel in Belgian royal family but Gabriel is very beautiful name, so not surprised Carl Philip and Sofia wanted to name their second son Gabriel. TBH I would have liked " Prince Carl Gabriel" even better :)

Welcome Gabriel Carl Walther, Prince of Sweden, Duke of Dalarna!

This time I am not fond of the name at all, somehow Gabriel does not seem to "fit" them. Alexander is such a strong name and, I don't know, I can't explain it.
I do like that he has been given the duchy of Dalarna. Anyway, a belated congratulations to the parents and Alexander with the addition to their family.

Nice, Gabriel is such a beautiful name. The Italian version is probably going to be my son's name if I'll ever have one ?

I love his name. The choice is totally unexpected.

What a great day today for all the babywatchers.

There's already prince Gabriel in Belgian royal family but Gabriel is very beautiful name, so not surprised Carl Philip and Sofia wanted to name their second son Gabriel. TBH I would have liked " Prince Carl Gabriel" even better :)

And in the Luxembourgese Grand Ducal Family there is Gabriel.

And in the monegasque family there is a Gabriella, alike in the Habsburg-Lorraine as well the Kent families.

To be fair Gabriel is an extremely popular name, it is the name of an archangel after all. I think that they can pick any name they want, whether it is used by other members of royal families, including theirs, or not. :)

In any case, unexpected and beautiful names! I wonder why only three though.

What a lovely name & for the Duchy to be Sofia's home area? How sweet is that!?!

There's a close up of the lil guy in his car seat on Twitter & he's adorable w/his wittle chubby nose peeking over his blankie. I just melted seeing it about 10 mins ago. [emoji4]

Delightful name I'm so glad for them !

Again no Edmund :sad: (apparently fourth time wasn't the charm ?) But a great name nonetheless, nice to see Silvia's father honoured. My only problem is the consistency in the number of names – just like with Estelle and Oscar, it hurts my perfectionistic eye that Oscar and Gabriel are "missing" a name :lol: And Dalarna is such a great choice for a duchy. Didn't think they would be giving that one out already but I'm glad they did, a nice nod to give him Sofia's province for duchy.

Lovely names!!! Especially the Gabriel who is the name of my favorite belgian Prince!!!

This time I am not fond of the name at all, somehow Gabriel does not seem to "fit" them. Alexander is such a strong name and, I don't know, I can't explain it.
I do like that he has been given the duchy of Dalarna. Anyway, a belated congratulations to the parents and Alexander with the addition to their family.

i share the thoughts. gabriel has never been my cup of tea as a name, neither its female equivalent gabriella. i think that Prince Carl Gabriel would have sounded much nicer indeed.

in all honesty, i was not a fan either of estelle or oskar as names chosen by the SRF, yet now they seem to have sunk in...

in any case, i am sure he will look like Alexander who is cute as a button!

Gabriel was quite a surprise, but I like it! There's a Prince Gabriel in Luxembourg so it's not too far-fetched for a prince, but it's still unconventional. But it seems that the SRF like being more out-of-the-box when it comes to names. I like that Carl and Walther are in the mix because I expected them to be included as his middle names. Alexander and Gabriel is a really nice set of brother names.

Gabriel in Luxemborg though was a family name not out of the blue like this. Besides he was not titled when born nor ever in succession so more freedom.

The name is cute but surprise. I am most surprised by Carl. I honestly would think if they were to repeat a name his sister used, it would be his first son. First sons in the family have Carl.

Happy Dalarna. Fitting honor to Sofia. Especially since no names for her family.

Honestly Oscar is still the best. If I was having a baby no, I'd choose Alexander or Gabriel. But for a prince of Sweden I live the traditionsl Swedush royal name.

Last edited:
There is Carl in Princess Sofia’s family, albeit distant. (According to Genealogy).

“Princess Sofia’s paternal grandmother was Ingrid Ann-Marie Nilsson (the daughter of Oskar Petrus Nilsson and Lilly Kristina Månsson). Oskar was the son of Karl Ferdinand Nilsson and Hedda Vilhelmina Jonsdotter. Lily was the daughter of Carl August Månsson and Emma Helena Persdotter.”

Last edited:
There is Carl in Princess Sofia’s family, albeit distant. (Source: Genealogy of Princess Sofia).

“Princess Sofia’s paternal grandmother was Ingrid Ann-Marie Nilsson (the daughter of Oskar Petrus Nilsson and Lilly Kristina Månsson). Oskar was the son of Karl Ferdinand Nilsson and Hedda Vilhelmina Jonsdotter. Lily was the daughter of Carl August Månsson and Emma Helena Persdotter.”

That's a bit like saying Princess charlotte had Elizabeth for Kate's middle name and not for the queen. I mean yes that adds to it of course, but not the reason it was chosen. Guess makes it easier when family has names in common.

I'd never have guessed Gabriel in a million years,I though we might see a Prince Carl-X !

Wonderful choice:flowers:, Gabriel is one of my favorite names and on my short list for a future son. Great way to honour Sofia’s home with the duchy.

Carl comes besides from king Carl Gustaf, also from queen Silvia's father, his name was Carl August Walther Sommerlath.

Back
Top Bottom