The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden > Prince Carl Philip and Princess Sofia

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-16-2016, 03:45 PM
Heir Apparent

very nice post, thank you for all the history.
Nobody is perfect, we are all trying to do our best.

Old 05-16-2016, 04:11 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans-Rickard View Post
It's sad that C-G still occasionally talks about it because everytime he does , he turns himself into a big laughing joke here in Sweden. He angers his people and the media loves to use his conservative opinions as an excuse to remove the monarchy.

His motto "För Sverige - I Tiden" (For Sweden - In The Time" is discussable. He has indeed modernised the swedish royal court and it's rituals very much since the time of his grandfather Gustaf VI Adolf. Has he modernised himself ?
I think he tries to. The way he spoke to Crown Princess Victoria at her wedding and the way he spoke about Princess Madeleine recently (regretting to not being more at home not understanding that it was very hard for her when her parents were away) indicates that he now knows that he did wrong and he tries to repair what still can be repaired by being a good grandfather instead.

2003 is 13 years ago now. Hopefully he "knows better" today when all his 3 kids are parents and atleast Daniel and Carl-Philip takes paternity leave like all modern men.

Victoria will likely come to the throne when Estelle and Oscar are past their childhood years and won't have the same problem as Queen Margrethe II had when she became Queen and had to leave two kids aged 4 and 3 at home with a father who never wanted to be at home, wanted to be King himself and has spent almost his whole life to insult his wife in public.
There is no risk anyway that Daniel would ever behave like that.
Certainly if CG follows in the longevity of his family, even Oscar will hopefully be at least 18 when his mother is queen. The king would be 93 at that point but his family has a history of long lives. His two predecessors, his grandfather and great-grandfather were 90 and 92 when they died.

His father died tragically young but his father's siblings:
-Ingrid was 90
-Bertil was 85
-Carl Johan was 96
-Sigvard was just short of 96

One of his great Uncles, Vilhelm, lived to be in his eighties.

Certainly Victoria's kids will not face the fait (unless tragedy strikes) of Margrethe or Elizabeth's kids whose mother came to the throne early.

But then again time has also changed a great deal. One, travel is quicker and the time away from kids is much more limited. And husbands are thankfully stepping up and being full parents. No one would have complained if Margrethe or Elizabeth were men back then and came to the throne so young.

Old 05-19-2016, 01:27 PM
Heir Apparent

Do you think that Prince Alexander's christening date will be announced after Prince Oscar's christening?
I had a dream: Let's connect our thoughts together, than we have a mission, let's connect our feelings together, than we have a mood, let's connect our dreams together, than we have a vision and let's connect our mission, our mood and our vision together than we have a perfect life.
Old 05-19-2016, 01:33 PM
Heir Apparent

Definitely yes; till his christening in eight days, there is Oscar who is in the centre of attention.
Old 05-19-2016, 08:46 PM
Commoner

I am also wondering when Prince Alexander's christening will be announced, how many Godparents he will have, and who they will be.
Old 05-19-2016, 08:49 PM
Nobility

Alexander's christening will be equal in ceremony as Leonore and Nicholas.
Old 05-19-2016, 09:48 PM
Heir Presumptive

Not necessarily. Alexander is, after all, further up the line of succession than Leonore and Nicolas. I'm guessing it will be a smaller affair than Estelle and Oscar's christenings but definitely bigger than Leonore and Nicolas's – at a larger church and perhaps even with a foreign royal godparent (I'm thinking Prince Hubertus of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
Don't underestimate the feelings for a male Heir. When in 1967 finally a prince was born in the Netherlands, the media was head over heels that finally a Prince of Orange has been born! In an interview in 1973 Queen Juliana said this furore about a boy had hit her: what did this explosion of joy say about her mother or she herself? We have moved on with times but these paternalistic feelings for a son are still widespread, all over the globe, in all cultures.
You can't really use that example because in the case of WA, he was the first male heir in many years so everyone naturally thought it was exciting – akin to the Danish reaction to little Princess Isabella of Denmark's birth as she was the first Danish Princess born in 60 years but has got absolutely nothing to do with "paternalistic feelings".

Old 05-19-2016, 10:11 PM
Heir Presumptive

It's almost a shame they couldn't do a double christening. I understand needing the focus to be on the Crown Princess family, but it still would have been neat :)

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 05-19-2016, 10:22 PM
Heir Apparent

Its not just about focussing on Victoria's family. Its also about Alexander. He and his parents deserve their day as well. It is their first child. Alex should get to wear the christening gown like his cousins. He should get to be center stage one day. If he shared the day with Oscar, even if he got a royal godparent or two, the focus would be Oscar. Oscar would get the royal gown as the more senior prince.
Old 05-19-2016, 10:40 PM
Nobility

I doubt Alexander would get a royal godparent unless it's a family member. He's 5th in line to the throne but he's not the son of a future monarch. Dad Carl Philip is no. 4. Madeleine could be Alexander's godparent (a wild card, I know). Oscar will get the same parade cradle as Leonore and Nicholas, and so would Alexander.
Old 05-19-2016, 10:54 PM
Heir Presumptive

There's no rule that dictates that you have to be the child of a future monarch to get a foreign royal as a godparent – The Earl of Wessex is Prince Nikolai of Denmark's godfather A precondition will obviously be that said royal is a friend of the couple and then it's debatable whether there are foreign royals who are close enough to CP and Sofia to be chosen over non-royal friends. Questionable but definitely not impossible.

I agree about the cradle though. I think it's pretty much a given that Karl XV's cradle will be used for Alexander's christening.

Old 05-23-2016, 12:37 PM
Commoner

I am eagerly awaiting the June 6 National Day at the opening of the Palace Gate, in anticipation that Prince CP and Princess Sofia will bring Prince Alexander with them. I hope they do, I will be so disappointment if they don’t.
Old 05-31-2016, 05:48 AM
Imperial Majesty

Expressen writes that Carl Philip and Sofia want to have Alexander's christening in Öland. In modern times there has been no royal christening in Öland, princess Margaretha got married there at the Gärdslösa church. The king makes the final decision though.
Expressen writes that all the royal media is at Öland on Victoria's birthday 14th July, so the christening could be on Saturday 9th or Saturday 16th July.
The National Day celebrations at Skansen and then reception at the Royal Palace and then Victoria celebrations on July 14th Öland are on their way. Is the court additionally able to arrange a royal christening amidst all the other events?
- There is an ongoing planning and when we know more, it will be communicated, Margareta Thorgren said.
Can it be Öland?
- As I said, when we have more information, we'll tell you.
Royal rule says three months of birth. Can the court push it forward to after the summer?
- There is nothing we can comment on the current situation. When the date and place are decided, we will announce it, Thorgen said.
The article has also listed the things which are in favour of christening in Öland and which are against it.
Prinsessan Sofias önskan om dopet för prins Alexander _ Svenska kungahuset _ Expressen
Translation

About the possible christening on 9th July - Carl Philip has STCC races on 10th July and normally the tests and qualifications are the day before.
Old 05-31-2016, 07:10 AM
Nobility

Alexander's christening should be in another month - August. The Prince Couple looks like they are trying to bigfoot Victoria Day. Madeleine & CP were christened in August.
Old 05-31-2016, 07:11 AM
Heir Apparent

I think that early july would still be too soon. About Oland, everything is possible, especially since the king considers this baby his legitimate heir. I hope the christening will be in Stockholm, like all the others have been...
Old 05-31-2016, 07:42 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Verseau View Post
Alexander's christening should be in another month - August. The Prince Couple looks like they are trying to bigfoot Victoria Day. Madeleine & CP were christened in August.
I don't believe for a moment that the christening will take place on Victoria Day.
I don't think that Victoria will mind for a second if her nephew will be christened on one of the other July days.
She does not make resevations for the rest of the month because of her birthday on July 14th.
Besides I think that the christening will take place when the summer holidays are over. So September or October like with the christening of Nicolas
Old 05-31-2016, 08:50 AM
Heir Apparent

I guess the christening will take place either on the last weekend in July or the first weekend in August.
I had a dream: Let's connect our thoughts together, than we have a mission, let's connect our feelings together, than we have a mood, let's connect our dreams together, than we have a vision and let's connect our mission, our mood and our vision together than we have a perfect life.
Old 05-31-2016, 09:31 AM
Heir Presumptive

The King and Queen will in Bhutan after the National Day celebrations. So I'll bet last weekend in July.

September and October seems to late IMO I already thought that Nicolas was to old for the christening in October, and if Alexander is to be christened in September or October he will be 5/6 months old. It's impossible! July/August is the best possibility and I agree with principessa: last weekend in July or the first weekend in August.
Old 05-31-2016, 09:36 AM
Heir Apparent

While that is true, Sweden's national day is in June. The couple leave for Bhutan on the 8th of June and will be gone for three days. They will be back in Sweden long before July.

But that said, the babies tend to be at least 3 months, so I agree late July is more likely. Some time after Victoria's birthday.
Old 05-31-2016, 09:48 AM
Commoner

In the end, I think the christening will be in Stockholm in August. Prince Alexander will be the first in succession of future Queen Estelle's cousins, and I think that the King will insists that the christening takes place in the Palace with godparents from other royal houses etc.

I would not rule out a royal christening on Öland for his future siblings. Carl Philip and Sofia made clear with their wedding that they will walk their own path, and I do not doubt that Öland is their preference. Princess Christina was baptized in Solna Church close to Haga Palace, so the Palace Chapel is not obligatory for royals.

Tags
birth, prince alexander of sweden