A Boy for Carl Philip and Sofia - Alexander Erik Hubertus Bertil: April 19, 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Svensk Damtidning wrote some weeks ago, that the king and queen usually spend the first week of August at their villa at St. Maxime.
Carl Philip has STCC races on 14th August and tests and qualifications a day before. There is the King's rally in Öland on 27th August, the king and queen always attend, and Borgholm has that weekend big 200 anniversary celebrations where they hope the royal family to attend.
The Solna church takes only 120-130 people, so it would be a very small christening, at Leonore's and Nicolas's christenings there has been about 160 guests.
Besides, since Carl Philip and Sofia now live in Drottningholm, the Drottningholm Chapel would be a logical choice if they have the christening in Stockholm.

Prince Alexander is fifth in line for the throne. Even in that generation he is 3rd. When Leonor was born, she was 2nd, and she has no royal godparents. If Alex has royal godparents it will be because the couple wants them and not because the king insists. And CP and Sofia don't seem very close to any foreign royals. Perhaps a Scandinavian royal will be used.

I guess the christening of Prince Alexander will take place sometime during the last 2 weeks of August (Carl Philip and Madeleine was baptized on August 31). Swedish summer holidays are over by then. I think we can expect mostly swedish guests to this christening. Maybe Queen Margrethe of Denmark and Prince Leopold of Bavaria will be invited as they are godparents to Prince Carl Philip but other than that i don't expect any foreign royal guests to this christening unless Alexander gets a foreign royal godparent.

It would have been nice with a July christening at Öland but that would be in the middle of the holiday period for most working swedes so many potential guests will probably be unable to attend in July.
And lots of history pieces they are using for a royal christening (crowns, carpet, seraphim standard, cradle etc) are kept at the Royal Palace in Stockholm.

So i think the christening will be held in Stockholm, likely at the Royal Palace Chapel in Stockholm. If they want a smaller ceremony, Drottningholm Royal Chapel or Ulriksdal Royal Chapel are possible places.

Last edited:
Prince Alexander is fifth in line for the throne. Even in that generation he is 3rd. When Leonor was born, she was 2nd, and she has no royal godparents. If Alex has royal godparents it will be because the couple wants them and not because the king insists. And CP and Sofia don't seem very close to any foreign royals. Perhaps a Scandinavian royal will be used.

The children of Carl Philip was always going to outrank Madeleine's. This is not unimportant to the King and I think that he will show more active interest in Alexander's christening than others.

Still, Carl Philip is not the godfather of any European royal other than his niece and nephew. Lack of any personal relation to potential royal godparents from other countries probably outweighs the King's wishes.

CP & Sofia have never been seen hanging with other royals, which lessen the chance of a royal godparent unless it's family. As for Expressen - "Expressen writes that all the royal media is at Öland on Victoria's birthday 14th July, so the christening could be on Saturday 9th or Saturday 16th July." Why write that? You make them look like they're out to ride Victoria's media-draw coattails. If there was a concern of saving money Oscar and Alexander would have been christened at the same time.

As for ranking - Victoria's children will always outrank Carl Philip's. Estelle will be queen; Alexander will never be king. Any sign of more interest in Alexander from the king can be seen as disrespect to the heir(ess) and her heir(ess).

The children of Carl Philip was always going to outrank Madeleine's. This is not unimportant to the King and I think that he will show more active interest in Alexander's christening than others.

Still, Carl Philip is not the godfather of any European royal other than his niece and nephew. Lack of any personal relation to potential royal godparents from other countries probably outweighs the King's wishes.

The point is that Alexander is not the spare. Yes, he is highest of the cousins, but he is still a low man on the totem pole. His christening compares more to the children of Joachim in Denmark. Alex's status will drop even more when Victoria is queen. Unlike Oscar, who is spare to the throne, it is to be expected this will be much quieter event then Oscar's even. I don't see the king pushing for a huge fancy baptism simply because this is his 'agnatic grandson'. If anything else, he doesn't need any more bad pr that he favors his son over his heir and her kids.

The size of Alexander's christening will most likely fall in between the sizes of Estelle/Oscar's christenings and Leonore/Nicolas' christenings. He's higher up the line of succession than Madeleine's children but at the same time, I don't believe CP and Sofia feel any kind of need to make some overly large, stately fuss out of it. My guess is that it will be more private than Estelle and Oscar's christenings but bigger than Leonore and Nicolas'.

As for Expressen - "Expressen writes that all the royal media is at Öland on Victoria's birthday 14th July, so the christening could be on Saturday 9th or Saturday 16th July." Why write that? You make them look like they're out to ride Victoria's media-draw coattails.

Practicality, maybe? Not that I personally think it will be held anywhere near Victoriadagen but unless they actually scheduled the christening for Victoriadagen, it would be nowhere near riding "Victoria's media-draw coattails". A royal christening can draw attention on its own, methinks ;)

As for ranking - Victoria's children will always outrank Carl Philip's. Estelle will be queen; Alexander will never be king. Any sign of more interest in Alexander from the king can be seen as disrespect to the heir(ess) and her heir(ess).

No one is claiming that Alexander will either outrank Estelle and Oscar or be King, it is merely argued that since Alexander is closer to the throne than Leonore and Nicolas, it is fairly logical to assume that his christening will be on a slightly larger scale than theirs (sort of on par with Prince Nikolai of Denmark who also had a semi-large christening) :)

Expressen writes that the royal family does not want a big event outside Stockholm. Now it will be another christening in the Royal Chapel when Prince Alexander will be baptized at the same place as cousin Oscar. According to the information Expressen has got, the christening will be on 9th September.
Prinsessan Sofias och prins Carl Philips dopdröm krossas _ Svenska kungahuset _ Expressen
Translation

We will see if Expressen gets it right at it's speculations.

I wouldn't take too much stock on Expressen's predictions. It predicted that Sofia was in the running for being Oscar's godmother and it got that wrong. I'm going for Alexander's christening to be at the same church as Leonore and Nicholas. As for that story about the christening in Oland, I think the king gave the final word and said no.

The christening thread is closed, so I put this here:

Program for Prince Alexanders' christening
11.00-12.00 Guests arrive at Drottningholm Palace Church
Photo and media position outside the Drottningholm Palace Chapel
12.00 Christening ceremony in Drottningholm Palace Church
Only host photographer and host broadcaster
The invited reporters will be able to sit inside the Chapel
13.00 Their Majesties reception, Drottningholm Palace
Media accreditation for Prince Alexanders' christening September 9, 2016 - Sveriges Kungahus

He is such a cutie :flowers: Getting so big, worried about christening gown. Seemed a bit small on Nicolas and he was younger. But I love those cherebum cheeks:)

Last edited:
He's a big boy....can't decide who he looks like...

LaRae

I see baby Carl Philip in his eyes.

Now Alexander has a mix of his parents, but he still looks more like Sofia to me.

Yeah I would have to say the first glance of him reminded me of Sophia ...but then looking more at him...I'm undecided. In a few months perhaps he will start to favor one more strongly than the other.

LaRae

Not quite sure which parent/family he looks like right now. I just know that he is way too CUTE!! I'd love to cuddle and kiss those cheeks. Can't wait to see all of the kiddos.

Making prince Alexander duke of Södermanland is a practical move. He's in line to inherit both Stenhammar and Ökenäs. In the future, it would have been very strange if Oscar was made duke of Södermanland, and Alexander owned/leased the two major royal properties in Södermanland.

Xenobia: I have a question. If I understand it correctly, the testamentary disposition of Stenhammar says that the estate should be leased to a (male) prince of the House of Bernadotte. Is it possible that Carl Philip and his son may be the Stenhammar's "heirs" instead of the Westling Bernadotte branch of the family, which, under Swedish law, will inherit the throne ?

As I understand the terms stipulated for Stenhammar: yes. Even though the succession laws changed, it doesn't affect the rules for this particular property. That stipulates that Stenhammar should be leased to a male member of the Bernadotte family, with precedence to the Duke of Södermanland. And now we have a Duke of Södermanland, who also should have been heir to the throne if Sweden still had agnatic succession.

https://www.stenhammarsgods.se/om-stenhammar/historia/

If Oscar had been made the duke of Södermanland (and he is a Bernadotte, not a Westling Bernadotte) , then he, and not Alexander, would have been in line to inherit the lease to Stenhammar. There is nothing in the testament giving preference to agnatic heirs.

Quoting JR76's translation, with a few amendments made by me:

After the death of my wife all parts of the estate and the buildings belonging to it should be leased by the state, each time for life, on the stated terms, to a Swedish subject who is a Prince of the ruling Royal House who has a potential right of inheritance to the throne.

If at the time of the lease there is a Swedish subject who is a Prince of the ruling Royal House with a potential right of inheritance to the throne who is Duke of Södermanland, he holds the right of first refusal to the lease if he or his guardian so wishes.​

https://www.stenhammarsgods.se/om-stenhammar/historia/

If Oscar had been made the duke of Södermanland (and he is a Bernadotte, not a Westling Bernadotte) , then he, and not Alexander, would have been in line to inherit the lease to Stenhammar. There is nothing in the testament giving preference to agnatic heirs.

Quoting JR76's translation, with a few amendments made by me:

After the death of my wife all parts of the estate and the buildings belonging to it should be leased by the state, each time for life, on the stated terms, to a Swedish subject who is a Prince of the ruling Royal House who has a potential right of inheritance to the throne.

If at the time of the lease there is a Swedish subject who is a Prince of the ruling Royal House with a potential right of inheritance to the throne who is Duke of Södermanland, he holds the right of first refusal to the lease if he or his guardian so wishes.​
That's correct. The will only mentions princes of the ruling house (of Sweden). It doesn't name the ruling house or specify any other terms for the lease than it going to a prince of said house that are a Swedish citizen and that a duke of Södermanland shall have first dibs on it if he, or his guardians, so wishes.

Back
Top Bottom