The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden > Prince Carl Philip and Princess Sofia

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-21-2016, 02:40 PM
Heir Apparent

I love Oscar's name but do wish since Alexander has 4 names, that Oscar did as well. I thought it was a sign only the heiress would have 4 names, when her own little brother didn't.

No surprise they used both grandfathers. Alll the grandkids, save Leonor have both grandparents. Leonor could have set a precedence for Alexander not having Hubertus. Instead of using Silvia as her sister had, Maddie used Lilian.

Had to do some digging, but there are a few Alexanders in the family tree:
-Alexander Vasa was the son of the short reigned king Sigismund III
-Olav V of Norway (Harald's father) was a grandson of Princess Louise gf Sweden. He was born Alexander
-there is also the Mountbattan connection. CG and his children are not descened from Queen Louise, but her grandfather and Uncle were both Alexander.

Quote:
I suppose the point the OP was trying to make was that, using traditional criteria. Estelle and Oscar are Westlings, Leonor and Nicholas are O'Neills, and Alexander would be the only Bernadotte among Carl Gustaf's grandchildren. Legally, though, we know that neither Victoria's nor Madeleine's children use their respective fathers' family names.
All children belong to 2 families. Unless he married a cousin, CP's children are only half Bernadotte, they are Hellquists as well. Just as he and his sisters are half Sommerlaths. Last name is simply a matter of legality. And since Daniel legally changed his name to Bernadotte when he married, Oscar and Estelle are Bernadottes and not Westlings in name as well as blood.

Old 04-21-2016, 02:54 PM
Heir Presumptive

Imo there's some serious over-analysing going on in this thread... couldn't it be that just C-P and Sofia came up with the name of their baby without it having to do anything with what the babies cousins are named?

Old 04-21-2016, 03:48 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

They could have given him 20 names for all I care, what does it matter? I really do not see why it should be an issue for anybody but the parents. They are free to name their children any way they want.

I am surprised they didn't use Carl or Gustav but honoured the king by using his last christian name, Hubertus. I suppose they did the same with CP who received Edmund, which was the last christian name of the kings father.

The Duchy: I expected Halland so this was a surprise. None of these Swedish duchies sound familiar to me, so one is as good as the other . It is a personal title anyway so it will return to the main line in due time.
Old 04-21-2016, 03:54 PM
Heir Presumptive

I love his names! Very regal! I think people are really looking too much into the fact he has 4. I think they had three people they wanted to honour! Perhaps Victoria and Daniel could only agree on 3 for Oscar! Who cares!
Old 04-21-2016, 03:57 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
I suppose the point the OP was trying to make was that, using traditional criteria. Estelle and Oscar are Westlings, Leonor and Nicholas are O'Neills, and Alexander would be the only Bernadotte among Carl Gustaf's grandchildren. Legally, though, we know that neither Victoria's nor Madeleine's children use their respective fathers' family names.
Estelle and Oscar are not Westlings, Daniel's family name is Bernadotte.
Family name = last name = surname.
Old 04-21-2016, 04:09 PM
Courtier

Daniel's family name is Westlings, he took his wife name
Old 04-21-2016, 06:44 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Congratulations to Carl Philip and Sofia! I think Alexander is a nice, handsome and classic name, but I didn't expect it although I already like the sound of Prince Alexander. I'm also happy that they included Bertil amongst the names, that's a nice nod to Prince Bertil (and it's also cute because Princess Leonore has Lilian as her middle name).

The first photo was lovely, Carl Philip and Sofia seemed very happy, and Sofia looked great. Little Alexander looked cute as well from what I could see of him. I'm looking forward into seeing any more official photos!

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 04-21-2016, 07:01 PM
Aristocracy

Prince Alexander! Very nice! I think the Swedish Royal Family is going to enjoy Christmas a great deal more for the next years. What fun to have 5 little children to share in the fun. And, I think Estelle is definitely up to the challenge of "managing" all the little cousins. Smile.
Old 04-21-2016, 10:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catharina View Post
I have a feeling the name might be something less traditional with perhaps something traditional in it. Queen Silvia said it is a "very beautiful name". Now all we need to know is what Queen Silvia considers beautiful!
Princess Sibylla, Duchess of Västerbotten had a brother named Prince Hubertus.
Old 04-22-2016, 02:32 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissByrd View Post
Prince Alexander! Very nice! I think the Swedish Royal Family is going to enjoy Christmas a great deal more for the next years. What fun to have 5 little children to share in the fun. And, I think Estelle is definitely up to the challenge of "managing" all the little cousins. Smile.

Or leading them all into mischief. An older Cousin's right after all.

What a lovely name!! Worst part of no power till just about ten minutes ago was wondering what the little one's name and title was. A name that's all his own to grow into and three to honour the Grandpas and Uncle Bertil...Lovely!! :)

Welcome to the World Prince Alexander!!! :):):)

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 04-22-2016, 03:13 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Congratulations to the couple and Alexander is a great name.
Old 04-22-2016, 07:27 AM
Nobility

Victoria looks so well, hopefully we can get a better picture soon of her headpiece, at the moment it looks like a grown up version of one of Estelle's bows.
Old 04-22-2016, 07:34 AM
Majesty

does other royal familes have te daum as often as the swedes have?
Old 04-22-2016, 07:35 AM
Gentry

Victoria's headpiece looks like a giant bow but she looks lovely. Just as the rest of the ladies. Like what Sofia's mother is wearing. Very nice for spring-time. Prince Carl Philip looks handsome.

What a shame that Princess Madeleine missed yet another family event. Methinks living out of Sweden is not working! Sadly.

I really admire Countess Marianne Bernadote and Dagmar von Arbin (100 years). Despite their age, they are still going strong and looking so elegant. Age is just a number
Old 04-22-2016, 08:03 AM
Heir Apparent

Nice gesture these te deums !!!! Happy to see the family !
Old 04-22-2016, 08:15 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
Countess Marianne Bernadotte and Dagmar von Arbin (100 years) have arrived to Te Deum.
http://media.shootitlive.com/HrI13D3...expressen/2187
http://media.shootitlive.com/5vwmZqh...expressen/2187

Patrick and Maline Sommerlath
http://media.shootitlive.com/BKrEwdw...expressen/2187

Sofia's parents, sisters and grandmother
http://media.shootitlive.com/OrZ8sVb...expressen/2187
http://media.shootitlive.com/4XfjBy3...expressen/2187
http://media.shootitlive.com/OBzmDhT...expressen/2187
http://media.shootitlive.com/R2vktvi...expressen/2187
http://media.shootitlive.com/P53iY2o...expressen/2187
http://media.shootitlive.com/aOwF6SB...expressen/2187

Princess Christina and Tord Magnuson
http://media.shootitlive.com/Ks9nUMb...expressen/2187

Royal family
http://media.shootitlive.com/Am7KxE8...expressen/2187
http://media.shootitlive.com/PwiIoZm...expressen/2187
http://media.shootitlive.com/8obAw8D...expressen/2187
http://media.shootitlive.com/42OnPJI...expressen/2187

The whole gallery here:
Te Deum för prins Alexander | Nyheter | Expressen
The dress code is morning suit for men, just like in Estelle's and Oscar's Te Deum's. If I recall it correctly, it was changed to business suit for Nicholas, wasn't it ?
Old 04-22-2016, 09:40 AM
Imperial Majesty

18 bilder på gästerna under dagens Te Deum _ Svensk Damtidning
Vilken hattparad – Victoria gjorde en ”Estelle” _ Svensk Damtidning
Sofia's sister Lina had Sofia's dress, which Sofia had at SVT's interview before the wedding.
Sofias klänning – på storasyster Lina _ Kungliga modebloggen

http://static.iltalehti.fi/kuninkaal...22416TK_kg.jpg

Gallery
ROYAL: Die schwedische Königsfamilie beim Te Deum zur Geburt des kleinen Prinzen

The sitting order was similar to the Te Deums of Leonore and Nicolas, the royal family sat at the "normal" benches at the pew. Unlike at Estelle's and Oscar's Te Deums, where there were extra chairs between the altar and the pew.

Fashion expert's points at Expressen:
Getingbetygen för kläderna på prins Alexanders Te Deum _ Nyheter _ Expressen
Old 04-22-2016, 09:43 AM
Serene Highness

Yay, a boy! If their next child is a girl and that is the last grandchild for Carl Gustaf and Silvia, the symmetry in the family is complete.

I like the name Alexander.
When Madeleine and her family will be in Sweden for the King's birthday celebrations, I hope they'll have new family pictures taken. It will be nice to see all the new grandsons.

And wow, is it the lady in green who's 100 years old? If you could be certain to age like that, I would sign up for it!
Old 04-22-2016, 10:58 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzling View Post
Congratulations to the couple and Alexander is a great name.
fully agree!

Tags
birth, prince alexander of sweden