Willem-Alexander, Máxima and Family, General News Part 3 (May 2017-Aug 2020)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It was a nice and modern speech. Probably this will be the last from the private villa on the royal domain De Horsten in Wassenaar, as in 2018 the extensive restoration of 17th C Huis ten Bosch will finally -in the sixth year of his kingship- be finished.

The King has various residences at his disposal but probably he wants to create a "homely" feel by doing it in his private villa.

The most impressive historic Dutch royal residences like the Palace Het Loo have been effectively decomissioned (i.e. turned into a museum). Huis Ten Bosch is the only proper royal residence in current use (pending the completion of removations) and it is rather unimpressive compared to the residences that are available to other monarchs, e.g. in the UK, Sweden, or even Belgium and Denmark. The Royal Palace of Amsterdam and the Noordeinde Palace on the other hand can hardly be called "palaces".

King Willem-Alexander never uses a Christmas Tree. Also not in the garden of Villa Eikenhorst. This year Queen Máxima has found fabulous Delft blue vases on the attick. Note how the pots changed in the years.

Some green around the fireplace
picture

A big bouquet in a white pot
picture

White decorations in a brown pot
picture

A giant Christmas Star in a red pot
picture

The best so far: a collection of Delftblue vases with red decoration
picture

(I think this was a photo before the actual address because the car we can see in the window was not visible during the Christmas Address.)

The most impressive historic Dutch royal residences like the Palace Het Loo have been effectively decomissioned (i.e. turned into a museum). Huis Ten Bosch is the only proper royal residence in current use (pending the completion of removations) and it is rather unimpressive compared to the residences that are available to other monarchs, e.g. in the UK, Sweden, or even Belgium and Denmark. The Royal Palace of Amsterdam and the Noordeinde Palace on the other hand can hardly be called "palaces".

The Royal Palace in Brussels, the Royal Palace in Stockholm, the Royal Palace in Madrid are effectively museums as anyone can visit them, alike the Royal Palace Amsterdam.

The last one however has completely been renovated from the inside to the outside out. The idea behind the 1960's restoration (as much as possible in the 17h C state) has been left as it is a Royal Palace indeed and the royal interiors of the 18th and 19th C have returned. The guest appartments and guestrooms are a par with the best hotel rooms in Amsterdam, as are all technical installations (kitchens, elevators, climate control, etc.). One only need to visit Brussels or even Buckingham Palace to see the sorry state of the in- and exterior.

Noordeinde Palace is also at the disposal of the King. This aerial picture shows the real size someone would never guess when standing in front of the 16th C original loggia: picture.

Huis ten Bosch Palace is currently completely in scaffoldings (picture). It is not a big palace at all but a true gem as it did not suffer the fate of so many palaces: the infection with the sugarcake bonbonnière style including all the whirls, twirls and curls which destroyed so many interiors in so many royal palaces.

The interiors in the three palaces at the King's disposal as well Het Loo Palace (picture which can be used by the King when he requests so) have remained true to the original. And all in sparkling state. That makes these palaces so special. Not the neo-styles of Leopold II's bonbonnières in Brussels, not the sugarcake style of the 19th C interior designs at Buckingham Palace.

State Banquet in honour of King Abdullah of Jordan (Brussels)

State Banquet in honour of King Philippe (Amsterdam)

Last edited by a moderator:
King Willem-Alexander never uses a Christmas Tree. Also not in the garden of Villa Eikenhorst. This year Queen Máxima has found fabulous Delft blue vases on the attick. Note how the pots changed in the years.

Some green around the fireplace
picture

A big bouquet in a white pot
picture

White decorations in a brown pot
picture

A giant Christmas Star in a red pot
picture

The best so far: a collection of Delftblue vases with red decoration
picture

(I think this was a photo before the actual address because the car we can see in the window was not visible during the Christmas Address.)
Nice overview!

In the Christmas Address we only see the left window, so the car could still have been parked at the same spot.

Last edited:

What constitutes a palace? A building doesn't have to be huge to be called a palace. Until 2010 the main royal palace in Tonga consisted of eight rooms. A Throne room, Council Chamber and two sitting rooms on the ground floor and four bedrooms on the first floor. It was the home of the monarch and therefore a palace. The old royal palaces are often no longer fit for purpose being cold and draughty places and certainly not homely. It's little wonder that monarchs prefer smaller buildings.

A bit of a random question, but I have always been curious so I thought I would ask: what last name does the royal family use on official documents like passports, birth certificates, drivers licenses, etc.? What last name do the girls use at school? Is it van Oranje-Nassau or van Amsberg?

:previous: A very good question and hopefully one of our Dutch royal experts can provide an answer.

Their official documents show their full name: Willem-Alexander Claus George Ferdinand Prins van Oranje, prins der Nederlanden, prins van Oranje-Nassau, jonkheer van Amsberg: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=163860&d=1119963359

The names and titles in the municipal register are the source for all possible documents, from driving license, to Tax Revenue Service, to military conscription, to Court of Justice, etc.

That counts for every Dutch citizen with a noble title by the way. Note that the "core royals" sign with first name only.

Last edited:
A bit of a random question, but I have always been curious so I thought I would ask: what last name does the royal family use on official documents like passports, birth certificates, drivers licenses, etc.? What last name do the girls use at school? Is it van Oranje-Nassau or van Amsberg?

The three princesses aren't 'van Amsbergs'. Somehow it was decided in the law that was passed for their parents wedding that they would be only 'prince(sse)s of the Netherlands and of Oranje-Nassau; and nothing else.

All princely family members (those that are prince(ss) of Oranje-Nassau) seem to be using 'van Oranje' as their surname, so I assume that is how the princesses are registered at school as well.

Thank you for the answers! That's quite a lot of titles to fit on a driver's license :ohmy:

Thank you for the answers! That's quite a lot of titles to fit on a driver's license :ohmy:

There is plenty of room. Below you see a specimen of a Dutch driving licence:

It can be registered as:

1. Fürstenberg, (Freiin) von e.v. Marchant et d'Ansembourg, (graaf) de

2. Myriam Therese Selimé Aimée Guarda Elisabeth Josef Hubertus

3. Etc.
m1cyj65br5b6_800.jpg

King Willem Alexander and Queen Maxima has been seen in Miami during the Christmas holidays, along with the mother of the Queen and their daughters, they enjoyed a relaxing afternoon and good food at a Miami Beach restaurant known for its fusion food last Friday 5th.

https://www.hola.com/realeza/casa_holanda/20180109104412/reyes-holanda-vacaciones-miami/

King Willem-Alexander and Queen Máxima are to pay a working visit to the China at the invitation of President Xi Jinping. The visit will take place on 7 February

https://www.royal-house.nl/latest/news/2018/01/15/working-visit-to-the-people’s-republic-of-china

Hand painted royal eggs of King Willem-Alexander and Queen Maxima and Princess Amalia by Mrs. Tiety Entjes-Weij.
The collection will be displayed during the Eierbeurs on 10th and 11st of march in Wassenaar.

PPE Agency

Well well, Xi Jinping is cuddle and cooing the Dutch King and Queen, I must say. In his short Reign King Willem-Alexander received Xi Ping for his first incoming State Visit. Soon afterwards he brought an outgoing State Visit to China. And now a working visit again. The frequency is remarkable.

King Willem-Alexander and Queen Máxima attended the finals of the ABN World Tennis Tournament in Rotterdam yesterday, February 18:

** twitter video **

Very nice pictures but it looks to me very much photoshopped.

The formal photos of the King and Queen are fantastic but the family ones look like they are advertising a new glossy Dutch shampoo advert and very photo shopped.

Probably good intentions but especially the photos of the girls are horribly photoshopped, CA looks like a fake wax figure. The girls are beautiful, why do something like that?
Alexia is the spitting image of her mother, a mini-Maxima.

An enquête amongst 25.000 (!) respondents has shown an approval rate of 85% for the King. He is edging his spouse as "most popular member of the Royal House":

https://www.ad.nl/binnenland/koning-populairder-dan-ooit~acb9f810/

Absolutely Stunning indeed!!Wonderfull Family!!

When he stated Queen Juliana was his example, he certainly also took her glamorous side. People associate Juliana with granny dresses but she was more glamorous than Queen Beatrix has ever been. He is doing surprisingly well, for once a Prins Pils.

Nice that they are using Erwin Olaf, esp as he critisized the portraits of the royal family in the past. The images seem too heavily photoshopped for my taste, but the end result is glamorous indeed. It is hard to believe that the princesses are only 14, 12 and 11 years old.

Last edited:
Wow, love the pictures of the King and Queen, even love the ones of the Princesses together and individually but the one of the family walking is funny, it made me think of the TV show Charlies Angels:whistling:. They are a beautiful family but that one is a little too Hollywood for me.
I can't get over how grown the girls are, seems like yesterday Amalia was blowing kisses at everyone, time goes too fast!!
Its funny how each girl is almost a twin to a different family member.
Amalia is Princess Beatrix ?
Alexia is Queen Maxima :queen2:
Ariane is King W-A :king2:

Lovely photos, lovely family! Only the picture with the three princesses looking very photoshopped!

And an article about the photos

Dutch royals mark King Willem-Alexander’s fifth year on the throne | Daily Mail Online

A painting of Queen Maxima from Helene Stienen

https://www.instagram.com/p/BjSv5NLgjbP/?taken-by=helenestienen

From the visit in Australia on 2016

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/96/05/67/960567ef3fdaf7b72f916794e40b788f.jpg

King Willem-Alexander and Queen Máxima will visit Curacao on the occasion of Dia di Bandera on 1 and 2 July 2018.

https://www.koninklijkhuis.nl/actue...-koningin-wonen-dia-di-bandera-bij-op-curacao

I agree with most.
The formal photos are really well done. But I did not like the family one. It reminded me of a tv show advertisement .

Glad they release pictures for the anniversary.

Alexia as the most prominent one and a little provocative. Ariane is transitioning from child to teenager and as we've seen for some time: Amalia as the responsible older sister.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom