Willem-Alexander, Máxima and Family, General News Part 2 (May 2013 - May 2017)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Some translations in google are a bit wobbly. I have repaired it a bit for a better understanding:

:flowers:

"Jááhááá!"

Amalia yelled this several times in response to photographers who simultaneously called out her name during a photo-shoot in Lech. (2006)

"Uh oh... do I get a new one?"
Amalia - after she felt a bit too hard on a egg (during the colouring of Easter eggs) and it smashed into pieces on the ground. (2006)

"All wave now!"
Amalia called this during a photo-shoot on her sister Alexia's second birthday. Her father bursted out in laughter and added: "Genetically determined." (2007)

"I know, but I am just Amalia"
Amalia's response to her father, when he once asked her if she knows she's a princess? Willem-Alexander told this to journalists during a press briefing. (2010)

"Maybe I can buy something, but that would really be a waste of my money"
Amalia was asked what present she would buy for her mother. (2011)

"How many years will you do it?"
Amalia against her father when she was told that her grandmother was going to abdicate as Queen. (2013)

"No way! I am not wearing that!"
Amalia about the design of her dress for the Investiture. Couturier Eduard Vermeulen then suggested that every princess could draw their own dress. (2013)

"Where should I look? I do not have eight eyes!"
Amalia from the train, to photographers who shouted "This way! This way!" (2013)

"Foul start!!!"
Amalia at King's Day when she could fire the start shot on the running track and one of the athletes left too early. (2014)

"I can not judge because I have not seen everything"
Amalia asked which part she liked at King's Day. (2016)

Last edited:
Is it just me, or are there only two princesses on the photos?

Is it just me, or are there only two princesses on the photos?

I had seen a video as well, so I knew that all of them had attended. As I couldn't find any other gallery, I had expected and hoped this one would get updated..;)

It is election time. Queen Máxima is being attacked by the Christian Democratic Party (!) for having a double passport. Their leader talked to radio1, where he held a plea for abolishing the possibility for Dutch citizens to have double passports.

Quite a curious election strategy of the Christian Democrats. I would think the last thing they want -one day before the elections- is to attack the most popular person of the country. The prime minister has had a very few days.

The monarchy does not need enemies with friends like that.

Sybrand Buma: ?Ook koningin Máxima moet dubbele paspoort inleveren? - NPO Radio 1

Last edited:
But what is the problem of Queen Maxima having a double passport?

But what is the problem of Queen Maxima having a double passport?

It is just the principle. Second or third or four generation Dutch-born and Dutch-raised citizens still having a double citizenship and seeing the long arm from Ankara or Rabat reaching them is seen as problematic by some political parties. When the Turkish President Erdogan claims "It are MY citizens, it are MY voters, it are MY Turks" he is simply 100% correct. For an example in Germany we are speaking about 3,5 million (!) Germans with also a Turkish passport. More and more politicians feel that this double nationality leads to undesireable situations.

When then a politician says: "We should no longer accept the existence of a double nationality" then the consequence indeed could be that Queen Máxima, still a citizen of the Republic of Argentina, has to loose her Argentinean nationality. Not because there is any problem with her but as a matter of principle. The law is applicable for anyone, Queen Máxima included.

Note that the proposal does not enforce someone to give up their Turkish or Moroccoan nationality. They can choose for their Turkish passport if they want, with as a consequence that they loose their Dutch passport (and loose EU-citizenship as a consequence). 99% of all these folks will count their options and choose the Dutch passport and that means that finally they are 100% Dutch citizens and that they are no longer of interest for Ankara or Rabat. The proposal of this politician is relatively moderate in comparison with other politicians (like Geert Wilders from the PVV) who wants every citizen with a double passport doing a crime, no matter how petty, loose their Dutch citizenship and kicked out of the country.

Last edited:
Isn't it the case that she has double nationality because it is impossible to renounce Argentinean nationality?

Het is op dit moment dan ook niet mogelijk voor de koningin om afstand te doen van haar Argentijnse nationaliteit, zo erkent Buma.

Isn't it the case that she has double nationality because it is impossible to renounce Argentinean nationality?

That counts for Turks, Moroccoans, Argentineans and a few other people: it is not possible to renounce their citizenship. These are not in line with the Rijkswet op het Nederlanderschap (Kingdom's Act on the Dutch citizenship) which states that only one citizenship can be held. What some parties want is to end the possibility to have two citizenships indeed (because the other state does not allow: once a Turk, always a Turk, even 5 generations furtherer.)

Some parties (mostly on the left) say: "Double citizenships must be allowed". Other parties (mostly on the right) say: "A choice for the Dutch citizenship must mean an end to another citizenship".

Note that the mentioned Rijkswet has an automatic working the other way: "When a Dutch citizen accepts the citizenship of another state, the citizenship of the Kingdom of the Netherlands is automatically lost".) So in essence politicians have the opinion that the policy on citizenship between two states must be equal. A Dutchman accepting Turkish citizenship looses his Dutch passport. An Turk accepting Dutch citizenship keeps his Turkish passport. There is an anomaly in that.

Last edited:
how silly. if argentina does not allow for its citizens to renounce citizenship, what is maxima to do? it is not her fault. it is not as if she can change the rules of argentina or that they can make an exception for her.

and... does it really matter in the first place? she is a dutch citizen and has stated repeatedly that she is dutch, although she obviously loves her birth country.

how silly. if argentina does not allow for its citizens to renounce citizenship, what is maxima to do? it is not her fault. it is not as if she can change the rules of argentina or that they can make an exception for her.

and... does it really matter in the first place? she is a dutch citizen and has stated repeatedly that she is dutch, although she obviously loves her birth country.

It has little to do with Queen Máxima herself. Her position was put forward by opponents: "So you want to rob our popular Queen from her Argentinean passport?" in an attempt to halt the idea. The Central Statistic Office stated that in 2015 there were 1,3 million Dutch citizens with a second passport from another country (so eligible to vote, to do compulsory military service in another counrty, etc.).

This massive number of (mostly Turkish and Morrocoan) double nationalities indeed bring discontent to the surface. When Erdogan locks up thousands and thousands of journalists, military, judges, teachers, etc. without any form of process, you don't hear them. But when Erdogan appeals to them to go on the street, there they are... en masse cheering for him: "Our Great President!". The Dutch saw Turkish people waving Turrkish flags and chanting for a foreign President while they were born in the Netherlands, while their parents were born in the Netherlands, while their grandparents were born in the Netherlands.

It is not so futile as only the Queen's second passport.

I dont think this is an attack on the Queen but if a law passes it has to pass for all equally.

I didn't know she had a double citizenship, I thought she had given it up when she married given who she was marrying. I guess I was wrong.

Mentioned above that Argentinians can't denounce their citizenship, maybe that's an issue she faced in the past if she did plan to do so. I guess it's not easy for all and other ways should be studied.

Traditionally will King Willem-Alexander and Queen Máxima on the Friday before King's Day, Friday, April 21, to give the go-ahead for the King Games. This year it is in primary school, the Five Master of Veghel. Sports Day starts with breakfast, then go all the pupils from Netherlands dancing together on the song 'Okido' Children for Children that was included at Soestdijk Palace: Lied Koningsspelen opgenomen op Paleis Soestdijk | De Oranjes

Shouldn't we close this thread? It's already 21 pages!

"The kings of Holland celebrated the Easter according to the Hellenic tradition

Greece became one of the most exciting destinations to spend Easter. There are celebrations and rites of the Orthodox Church throughout the country, especially in small villages or islands, where traditions are stronger. That is why the kings of the Netherlands decided to celebrate Holy Saturday on the island of Spetses, only ten minutes by boat from their Greek refuge, located in the area of ​​Doroufi, in Ermioni, to the south of the continent. Invited by the kings of Greece, Constantine II and Ana Maria, Máxima and Guillermo, together with their three daughters, Amalia (13), Alexia (11) and Ariane (10) participated in the ceremony in which the Hellenes gather Hour before midnight in his church to light white candles with holy fire (which is distributed in temples throughout the country). And then, every believer must take the walk to his home with the candle lit, mark a cross on the door of his dwelling and extinguish the flame once inside."

http://bucket3.glanacion.com/anexos/fotos/65/maxima-reina-de-holanda-2433965.jpg

Los reyes de Holanda celebraron la Pascua según la tradición helénica - ¡HOLA!  

Interesting. The links with the Greek royal family seem quite close. Remember that Big Fat Greek Wedding in London (Filippos Lemos and Marianna Goulandris) with the Dutch and Greek royal families attending...

Last edited:
Maxima's brother and s-i-l live in Austria.IIRC

William looks really annoyed with the press! but who can blame him? I am surprise Maxima's father could made the trip considering how fragile he is!

I think theres a massive difference in the way Maxima and WA appear to handle the media, Maxima just seems to get on with it whilst WA goes out his way to get in their way.

BTW I thought they had sold that government jet?

Tja... he does not control the foreign press as he does the Dutch one. So it can hardly be a surprise that there are photographers abroad. I am sure that none of these images of clips will be shown in Dutch magazines, papers or television.

Thank you all for posting :flowers:
The new thread can be found here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom