The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-22-2015, 04:37 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaryllus View Post
Garbage? Not take a bite? Mcdonalds make be junk but kids are kids, even if they are royals and a burger and fries is just fine for them sometimes. I doubt they eat truffles wrapped in gold leaf with a foi gras side or other Haute cuisine for dinner regularly anyway :)
You said it!

We parents can talk healthy food and empty calories until we are blue in the face, the kids want their McBurb.
And don't make homemade burgers, even if they taste better and actually contain some nourishment! - It ain't the same as a Big Mac or similar cardboard food.
I've seen many a grandparent standing next to their grandchildren at McDonald, with a bewildered expression on their faces while looking at the burger. "Is that it"?!?

Old 12-22-2015, 04:40 PM
Serene Highness

Thanks! Very interesting :) I wonder if they ever enjoy Argentinean food?

Yes, the same here. The wealthier you are the more you have access to quality fresh produce, meat and fish. And you grow up appreciating quality food and cooking. Where I live in the poorer neighborhoods their may not be grocery stores at all near just small convenience stores and fast food. And as fast processed food constantly drains their money they also contribute to the obesity epidemic in this country Among the poor.

Very sad.

Old 12-22-2015, 05:30 PM
Royal Highness

Lmao damn I didn't know the link I posed would cause such a fuzz. I thought it was a cute image of a family that can also do more normal things.

They're young girls and they probably wanted a Happy Meal. Like pretty much every kid out there wants every once in a while. What's the big deal? Let these kids enjoy a ''bad meal.'' They have a whole lifetime ahead to focus on health and image.
Old 12-22-2015, 05:54 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress Merel View Post
Lmao damn I didn't know the link I posed would cause such a fuzz. I thought it was a cute image of a family that can also do more normal things.

They're young girls and they probably wanted a Happy Meal. Like pretty much every kid out there wants every once in a while. What's the big deal? Let these kids enjoy a ''bad meal.'' They have a whole lifetime ahead to focus on health and image.
This! I think people forget that, at the end of the day, all kid and adults, albeit royalty or not, sometimes want a Happy Meal. It is refreshing the King was out with his daughters enjoying some time together.
Old 12-22-2015, 06:05 PM
Serene Highness

Happy meal today life of depravity and liqueur tomorrow
Old 12-22-2015, 06:23 PM
Serene Highness

One 'bad meal' as a treat in what is possibly already the school holidays isn't going to lead to a bad life (in fact IMO depriving kids of most things only means once they are able/old enough to get it themselves they will and make up for all the times they couldn't)
Out of interest what do the family usually do for the holidays? Stay in The Netherlands and have a big Christmas or do they go away?
Old 12-22-2015, 07:20 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress Merel View Post
I agree. And WA and Maxima mentioning that they both like eating healthy foods, that gives me the impression that their daughters have a lot of healthy foods as well. I doubt they have McDonald's everyday.

As you have said, many children (and adults) want to have a McDonald's or a similar type of fast food at some point in their lives, and a lot of families give their children McDonald's as a treat from time to time. If they are having a balanced diet, it doesn't always mean that they are going to be unhealthy/are unhealthy.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 12-23-2015, 10:35 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
One 'bad meal' as a treat in what is possibly already the school holidays isn't going to lead to a bad life (in fact IMO depriving kids of most things only means once they are able/old enough to get it themselves they will and make up for all the times they couldn't)
Out of interest what do the family usually do for the holidays? Stay in The Netherlands and have a big Christmas or do they go away?
My guess is that the King and his family will spent their holidays in Argentina, where they own real estate in the forests around the immense Lake Nahuel Huapí, near the town Villa La Angostura. They have spent Christmasses there. See picture.
Old 01-06-2016, 04:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

In Argentina today people celebrate "the 3 magic Kings" wonder if Maxima celebrated with her daughters?
Old 01-06-2016, 05:10 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashelen View Post
In Argentina today people celebrate "the 3 magic Kings" wonder if Maxima celebrated with her daughters?
Epiphany is no special day in the Netherlands. The way the Iberian and Latin-American countries celebrate Epiphany has similarities with Saint Nicholas in the Low Countries, celebrated on December 6th, exactly a month earlier. However Maastricht, the capital of the (Catholic) province of Limbourg still has a Driekoningenstoet (Procession of the Three Kings). Like in Spain today, at the end the children get sweets and presents. So they have three feasts in one month time: Saint Nicholas, Christmas and Epiphany...

I doubt the Queen has celebrated it with the Princesses. In Wassenaar and The Hague, it was a normal schoolday.
Old 01-06-2016, 07:31 PM
Heir Apparent

However it is possible that the princesses have learned about some of the Christmas customs in Argentina by chatting with their maternal relatives and viewing old family photos etc...
Old 01-07-2016, 04:16 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
Epiphany is no special day in the Netherlands. The way the Iberian and Latin-American countries celebrate Epiphany has similarities with Saint Nicholas in the Low Countries, celebrated on December 6th, exactly a month earlier. However Maastricht, the capital of the (Catholic) province of Limbourg still has a Driekoningenstoet (Procession of the Three Kings). Like in Spain today, at the end the children get sweets and presents. So they have three feasts in one month time: Saint Nicholas, Christmas and Epiphany...

I doubt the Queen has celebrated it with the Princesses. In Wassenaar and The Hague, it was a normal schoolday.
You can have your doubts,just don't burb 'm out loud that much.

Epiphany used to be celebrated as a sunday in a not so long ago past,with all the frills et tout,but then came what we call the versobering and vervlakking and nothing is what it was....
Old 01-07-2016, 04:30 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucien View Post
You can have your doubts,just don't burb 'm out loud that much.

Epiphany used to be celebrated as a sunday in a not so long ago past,with all the frills et tout,but then came what we call the versobering and vervlakking and nothing is what it was....
In my childhood (in Maastricht indeed) I used to go alongside the doors with two other friends and sing, dressed as Caspar, Balthasar and Melchior. There in Maastricht this tradition is still done but that Driekoningen (Epiphany) was a Sunday (a day off) no... that must have been very long ago...

Old 01-07-2016, 12:37 PM
Heir Presumptive

I grow up with the 3 Magic Kings and even though now I live in the US where here they do not celebrate it. I always did it for my daughter. Even when I was living in Europe and my husband is British he would celebrated and I would have a present in my shoes! you just wake up a bit earlier if you have to work or school! So still Maxima might want to keep the tradition with her daughters, it is a private and I guess if she wants she can do it! and all kids loves to have more presents!
Old 01-08-2016, 02:27 PM
Serene Highness

I would hope that Maxima is teaching her children her culture and customs.
Old 01-11-2016, 04:19 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Royal Blogger

Christmas card of the King and Queen and their family (2015):
Fast, Free Image Hosting - ImageBam
Old 01-11-2016, 04:37 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Robijn View Post
Christmas card of the King and Queen and their family (2015):
Fast, Free Image Hosting - ImageBam
There are different cards with and without pictures:

With skating children (front)

With skating children (inside)

With Mary and Joseph in Bethlehem (front)

With Mary and Joseph in Bethlehem (inside)

I have also seen one with a drawing of children from different ethnic background building a Christmas tree.

It looks like the personally signed cards are with a family photo. The cards with this sort of nice drawings are the unsigned ones.
Old 04-01-2016, 11:20 AM
Heir Apparent

Author: Dutch King “his own man,” more emotional than Beatrix - NL Times
Old 04-05-2016, 12:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Willem-Alexander and Maxima in Tromso, Norway with Haakon and Mette-Marit
Kronprinsparet på privat besøk i Tromsø -itromso.no
Old 04-25-2016, 11:29 AM
Heir Apparent

"King Willem-Alexander and Máxima are Monday morning on been granted an audience with Pope Francis.
This is the conclusion of a press release that the Vatican has spread"

www.nu.nl/buitenland/4252441/willem-alexander-en-maxima-audientie-bij-paus-franciscus.html - Translator

Tags
general news, king willem-alexander, princess alexia (2005 -), princess ariane, princess catharina-amalia, princess of orange, queen maxima