Willem-Alexander, Máxima and Family, General News Part 2 (May 2013 - May 2017)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for posting,I was wondering if they had been released yet.

I think the photo in the Christmas card is really sweet, I somehow missed it at the time of Amalia's birthday. I didn't realise that the AAA's could ride, but then again horseriding is a traditional royal hobby.

Thank you for sharing. :flowers: Can anyone tell me what the last language is? I can't identify it but it reminds me of Spanish.

Why would they use this language?
Because HM King Willem-Alexander is also King of Aruba and Curaçao as well as Sint Maarten. All located in the Caribbean. They are autonomous countries, but belong to the Kingdom of the Netherlands, albeit not the country of the Netherlands.

best wishes Michiru

It's papiamento, a language spoken on for instance Aruba, Curacao

Thanks for the quick response. I've never heard of papiamento before, but it makes sense for them to include it on the card and is a nice gesture.

Not wanting to be a wet blanket, but there are no hard riding hats being used which surprised me somewhat.

The Flemish newspaper Het Laatste Nieuws received a thank you note from the Dutch court for their 'pity package'. Because the Dutch footbal team is not going to the European championship footbal in 2016 while the Belgian team is, the newspaper sent the package to 50 well-known Dutchmen, among them the king. The package contained a footbal shirt of the Belgian team, Belgian flags, sunglasses and red horns (as the nickname of the Belgian team is the 'red devils' The court said that the gesture was 'especially appreciated'.

Nederlandse koningshuis bedankt HLN voor EK-troostpakket - HLN.be

The titulature of Máxima is: Hare Majesteit koningin Máxima, prinses der Nederlanden, prinses van Oranje-Nassau. This is a mix between the legal title (prinses Máxima) and the wish to follow "social custom" or "tradition" to call the spouse of a King a Queen indeed.

The (nicely worded and very polite) letter is signed by P.L. Manche as:
Substitute General Secretary of
His Majesty The King and
Her Majesty The Queen

This is interesting: in an official letter by the Royal House, the Household official names Queen Máxima with a title which is not hers. So it is visible that more and more the formal title is ignored and the wish to treat Máxima as a real Queen-Consort is apparent.

:lol:

The correct title for P.L. Manche would have been:
Substitute General Secretary of
His Majesty The King and
Her Majesty Queen Máxima

Last edited:
Not wanting to be a wet blanket, but there are no hard riding hats being used which surprised me somewhat.

Nope,never.Neither does your dearest Lillibeth..she wears a scarf at all times when horseriding.Our RF rides au naturel and loves it!!

Same with bikes,only non-dutch wear helmets.....;)..

I think the Princesses wear helmets, like all Dutch boys and girls too, but it is clear the hairdoes were nicely brushed and the girls were asked to ride together for a nice picture. But it is true what Lucien wrote, Nanny State is not so impregned in Dutch society as in -especially- the UK. When I am overseas on the British Isles I am always amazed by the enormous amount of warnings, notes, precautions, rules, prohibitions, guidelines, requests and whatever in public space. It is beyond belief. The Brits themselves seem not to notice it.

Last edited:
:previous:
Why McDonalds? It is puzzling why parents allow their children to eat food garbage.

Last edited:
Why McDonalds? It is puzzling why parents allow their children to eat food garbage?

Nothing but a photo - op. Basically illegal for the press to publish a picture of the DRF that is not a public official event. Also it was published on a website that translates into English as "King's House." Doubt his kids took the 1st bite of that garbage.

Why McDonalds? It is puzzling why parents allow their children to eat food garbage?

I'll bet it is called *Teenagers* wanting want their friends have. Haven't been to those places in over 30 years and not going back. It is poison for the body. Wonder where mom was and if she would enjoy a mcburger :lol:

Nothing but a photo - op. Basically illegal for the press to publish a picture of the DRF that is not a public official event. Also it was published on a website that translates into English as "King's House." Doubt his kids took the 1st bite of that garbage.
The McDonalds photo-op is an odd way to promote a royal house.

I don't know if the caption with the photo can be translated on FB, but what it says is "what a fun and normal king we have!" and to a lot of dutch people that is about the highest praise possible :lol:
mind you, i don't know if the exact translation is normal or common or ordinary, but i hope you get the idea of why a pic like this is seen as a good promotion
(note that in the comments there are also people reacting things like "a dad at the mcD with his kids, so what")

I think the Princesses wear helmets, like all Dutch boys and girls too, but it is clear the hairdoes were nicely brushed and the girls were asked to ride together for a nice picture. But it is true what Lucien wrote, Nanny State is not so impregned in Dutch society as in -especially- the UK. When I am overseas on the British Isles I am always amazed by the enormous amount of warnings, notes, precautions, rules, prohibitions, guidelines, requests and whatever in public space. It is beyond belief. The Brits themselves seem not to notice it.
That makes sense Duc, and I have to agree with you and Lucien about Nanny State, it's alive and kicking down here in NZ. Kids need to be allowed to work out some things for themselves, it's how they learn.

Last edited by a moderator:

Well that's not true. Generally anytime a "celebrity," be it a king, president, star, etc., can be shown to be a "normal" person by their PR staff, that is thumbs-up to them. It's so commonly used today, it has become cliche and so totally unbelievable. But you are free to think to the media, by chance, caught WA and his girls at McDonald's. :thumbup::D

If that would be the case they would have made sure the photo would get more publicity than just this facebook page with 13000 followers. Also there will be more healthy ways to reach that goal, without feeding the children plastic food. To see a conspiracy in such a thing seems rather paranoid.

Bert Brussen, formerly of the hate blog 'GeenStijl.nl' and now of Thepostonline.nl, wrote about the Mc Donalds photo. He claims that it is 'shocking proof' of self cencorship of the Dutch press. No newspaper has printed the photo or showed it on their websites. SBS6's 'shownieuws' mentioned the photo but said they could not show it due to the media code. They did talk to the employee that served the king, who could say what they ordered and added that the king sadly did not leave a tip.

http://media.tpo.nl/2015/12/20/scho...d&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=bertbrussen

Last edited:
If that would be the case they would have made sure the photo would get more publicity than just this facebook page with 13000 followers. Also there will be more healthy ways to reach that goal, without feeding the children plastic food. To see a conspiracy in such a thing seems rather paranoid.

Indeed!!Likewise for assuming the girls always eat it...Or the very discussion!!Really,what the fuzz....Merry Christmas all...:lol:

It was not on the official Facebook page of the Royal House but just on a private page of someone whom spotted the King and the Princesses. No more, no less. Happy is the nation where the King still can stroll on the street, friendly greeting here and there and interacting with the people.

:flowers:

Garbage? Not take a bite? Mcdonalds make be junk but kids are kids, even if they are royals and a burger and fries is just fine for them sometimes. I doubt they eat truffles wrapped in gold leaf with a foi gras side or other Haute cuisine for dinner regularly anyway :)

Garbage? Not take a bite? Mcdonalds make be junk but kids are kids, even if they are royals and a burger and fries is just fine for them sometimes. I doubt they eat truffles wrapped in gold leaf with a foi gras side or other Haute cuisine for dinner regularly anyway :)

I am sure the kids will have been running in the palace kitchens (picture), wondering what all these men with high white top hats, are so busy doing in there...

The last thing chefs want or need is three young children running through a working kitchen though, especially these particular kids.

I would what they, the whole family, eat on an everyday basis anyway? What is a normal Dutch family meal?

The last thing chefs want or need is three young children running through a working kitchen though, especially these particular kids.

I would what they, the whole family, eat on an everyday basis anyway? What is a normal Dutch family meal?

The King and Queen told that they love "healthy food", particularly fish. In an older interview, when asked about her cooking skills, the then Princess Máxima responded that the microwave was a great friend. That means that when the cook(s) are off duty, the family has an already prepared meal: only to be heated in the microwave.

A normal Dutch family meal is potatoes, vegetables and a piece of meat. But of course globalization has reached the Dutch kitchens too and there are Indonesian, Surinam and Caribbean influences, there is the Turkish and Moroccoan kitchen, there is the French, Spanish and Italian kitchen. I think the Dutch have internationalized very much. As so often: the more money you have, the better (healthier, more varied) food.

In my street there is a big organic supermarket. Everything sustainable, organic, biologic, animal-friendly and 'honest'. The prices burn a hole in your wallet but it is a success. However, the customers look like hipster chic, field hockey dudes, horseriding girls, pearl earrings ladies and red pantalon gentlemen. That sort of types. The lower the income, the more fat, the more saturated, the more frozen, the more junk the food is.

Queen Máxima once remarked she loved Dulce Leche, an Argentinean treat. Her brother Martín has two succesful restaurants, one in a five-star hotel in the posh ski-resort San Carlos de Bariloche and one in Villa La Angostura, a small but very touristic and extremely expensive village near the Huelpi Lake in a National Park. (The King and Queen own two lots of land on a resort there, so they will probably frequent Martin's place to for a good meal). I have the idea that cooking skills are not too apparent with the King and Queen.

Last edited:

You said it!

We parents can talk healthy food and empty calories until we are blue in the face, the kids want their McBurb.
And don't make homemade burgers, even if they taste better and actually contain some nourishment! - It ain't the same as a Big Mac or similar cardboard food.
I've seen many a grandparent standing next to their grandchildren at McDonald, with a bewildered expression on their faces while looking at the burger. "Is that it"?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom