Willem-Alexander & Máxima's Visit to Antartica: February 6-9, 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Princess Maxima

Serene Highness
City
Buenos Aires
Country
Argentina
The Prince of Orange and Princess Máxima will visit from Febraury 6th to the 9th the Antarctica.

The visit of the Prince and Princess takes place in the International Polar Year.

(RVD)

Has any sort of itinerary or meeting list been released? I would imagine that they are planning to meet with various groups. Are they staying with scientists?

The trip is made at the invitation of the Dutch Organisation for Scientific Research in the frame of the International Polar Year.

The Princely Couple will be accompanied by the government Minister for Education and Sciences,Dr.Ronald Plasterk
and Prof.Engelen,Chair of the DOSR.

The first leg will take the party to Torres del Paine National Park in southern Chile.The visit emphasizes on dutch
research work in Antarctica as well as the dutch/british cooperation in that field over the past 20 years.The Netherlands
have a small but state of the art scientific program aimnig at international cooperation on Antarctica

TRH and other members of the party will be guests of the British Antarctic Survey at Rothera research station,Antarctica.

The effects of climate change on the polar ice fields of Patagonia and the Antarctic Peninsula are on the program,
the Patagonia ice-cap,the third largest in the world,melts fast.

http://www.koninklijkhuis.nl/content.jsp?objectid=28059

Visit to Antartica... It will be very enjoyable. Can't wait to see all pictures.:rolleyes:

The trip is made at the invitation of the Dutch Organisation for Scientific Research in the frame of the International Polar Year.

The Princely Couple will be accompanied by the government Minister for Education and Sciences,Dr.Ronald Plasterk
and Prof.Engelen,Chair of the DOSR.

The first leg will take the party to Torres del Paine National Park in southern Chile.The visit emphasizes on dutch
research work in Antarctica as well as the dutch/british cooperation in that field over the past 20 years.The Netherlands
have a small but state of the art scientific program aimnig at international cooperation on Antarctica

TRH and other members of the party will be guests of the British Antarctic Survey at Rothera research station,Antarctica.

The effects of climate change on the polar ice fields of Patagonia and the Antarctic Peninsula are on the program,
the Patagonia ice-cap,the third largest in the world,melts fast.

Het Koninklijk Huis

Thank you, Lucien. It sounds like it will be a very interesting trip. Congratulations to the Netherlands on their achievement in this field. It sounds like they have made a lot of progress in their research.

they really are doing quite a bit of travelling. as soon as they come back from the oman and UAE visit, they are off to antartica. i can't wait to see them out and about.

thanks for the info princess maxima.

they really are doing quite a bit of travelling. as soon as they come back from the oman and UAE visit, they are off to antartica. i can't wait to see them out and about.

thanks for the info princess maxima.

And there's more to come,right after Antarctica the whole family is off on ski 's for a two week wintersport holiday.:flowers:

Joy! This means we get to see them for a while longer. Looking forward to this!

:previous:
The picture has nothing to do with the visit, just a picture to show the couple.

--
Milou van Hintum writes in a column in the newspaper 'Volkskrant' that the couple should stay away from Antartica if they care for the environment as much as they claim.

All these visits, even for ecological purposes, are not doing Antartica any good.

Alex en Máxima, blijf weg van Antarctica! - Opinie - de Volkskrant

Thanks Marengo!

The question about whether the couple should be going at all is an interesting one. I've studied Antarctica a bit, but don't want to comment too much or I'll end up derailing the thread...
Has anything more come up in the press since about it? Is the author known for taking up this kind of issue or is it just something to print???

I have no idea who the author is but I don't read the Volkskrant very often. The column was reported on several internet sites and in a few programmes but it did not fuel a debate. The prince and princess are travelling with a group that would be going there anyway so that way they won't harm the environment extra due to their visit (whoich the columnist obviously did not know).

Thanks Marengo!

The question about whether the couple should be going at all is an interesting one. I've studied Antarctica a bit, but don't want to comment too much or I'll end up derailing the thread...
Has anything more come up in the press since about it? Is the author known for taking up this kind of issue or is it just something to print???

No,no discussion at all.Can't have that for every start-up whatever screaming from the top of her lungs.

The expedition was already planned for the scientists.The whole project was initiated at one of the twice a year symposia at
Noordeinde Palace hosted by HM.After HM had opened the International Polar Year (dutch branche-) a while ago,she expressed
the wish to know more on the subject of climate change and it's effects all over the globe and especially the north and south pole.So,initiated by HM,there was this symposium on Antarctica,(with top speakers/scientists btw).

It was then the idea emerged it would be a good idea/great opportunity for the Prince and Princess to be part of the next expedition,
along with government Minister Ronald Plasterk for Education and Sciences.

So,that is how it got to this trip.The climate change is measurable everywhere,also on Antarctica ofcourse.But it's not that it is warming up big time there and all will be melted in a year,or a century.It's not like a recent US expedition claims,that was hysterica absoluta and based on the wrong sort of research as was expressed by european scientists while broadly smiling.

If it normally is minus 60,it now is minus 58.5...in 50 years.Something that does need our attention,but to have some kid yell they have to stay away as that will help to save Antarctica.Nonsense,and moreover as at one time Antarctica was a densely forested tropical area.So,anyone can say what they like but the climate will change as it has done every 10- to 15.000 years.:)

link to the article in dutch:

http://gpdhome.typepad.com/nieuwsberichten/2009/01/kom-op-voor-antarctica-blijf-er-weg.html

reactions have been moderated and removed as one was dumber than the other and that Malou child didn't have a clue at all about what she was talking.She was badly informed,information she could have easily gathered,but failed too as it gets you into the spotlight a lot quicker to pick on members of the RF.

courtesy Royalblog.

Last edited:
Sorry, I'm confused when & where was this picture taken... I thought the trip isnt until February??? Was it something in preperation for the visit?

The picture was taken in New Zealand, on 2 November 2006

Official Homepage of British Antarctic Survey Research station
Webcams from Antarctica - British Antarctic Survey

It looks really freezing and cold there.

it is supposed too...:)

TRH will arrive in Punta Arenas,Chile,today,where they will be welcomed by Minister Ronald Plasterk.
In the evening they will move to Patagonia Camp and get an explanation on the Ichtyosaurus-Tyndall project..

February 5th

Visit to the Tyndall gletscher at the National Park Torre del Paine,the Patagonian Ice-cap,the second largest in
the world

In the afternoon TRH will visit the INACH,the Chilean Antarctica organisation for a presentation and discussion

In the evening will meet the host:the British Antarctica Survey (BAS)

February 6th

Today TRH will fly from Punta Arenas to British Research Station Rothera,Antarctica where they will be
welcomed by base-commander John Withers and have a walk over Rothera Point.
In the evening they have dinner with the researchers

February 7th

Visit to the Bonner Laboratory with terrestrial ecologist Pete Convey and marine biologist Simon Morley

Visit to Bonner Laboratory Aquarium
Diving demonstration
On snow-scooters to camping spot on gletscher on spot near Rothera,demonstrations and participation of field-training there.
Camp overnight in tents on the gletscher.

February 8th

Flight over several research locations on Adelaide Island with a BAS Twinotter
"Floating"on what is called a "rigid inflateble boat" to Anchorage Island biological sites.
in the evening: A "festive meal" at Rothera

February 9th

Return flight to Punta Arenas and farewell dinner with the accompanying party and representatives of INACH

February 10th

Return flight from Punta Arenas via Santiago de Chile to Amsterdam where the couple is expected to arrive on wednesday.

http://www.royalimages.nl/search.pp?page=1&ShowPicture=9113371&pos=4

Rothera research center:
http://www.royalimages.nl/search.pp?page=1&ShowPicture=9123865&pos=1

http://www.royalimages.nl/search.pp?page=1&ShowPicture=9123864&pos=2

There won't be any pictures except those made by Alexander himself as he will keep a blog and do the photographers job.There's no press along this time.And no,that is not TRH doing.Media are not invited.So,we have to wait for Alexanders work starting tomorrow,I hope.....

Last edited:
Pics 5.2.2009

Crown Prince Willem Alexander and Princess Maxima of the Netherlands
visit a sculpture of a Patagonian native at a public square in Punta Arenas
city, some 3,150 km (1,957 miles) south of Santiago February 5, 2009.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** Pic 5 ** Pic 6 ** Pic 7 **

Last edited:
This sounds like quite the adventurous visit. This is a very silly question, but is there a link to Willem Alexander's blog on the official site? I tried to locate it, but didn't have any luck.

This pair always seems to be very relaxed in each other's company.

the article said that W-A has his own blog and write in thre his news isit possible to find it?
See post #22 above ashelen ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom