WA, Máxima & Daughters Holiday in Argentina: December 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
pollyemma said:
tell me about it.

its entirely right and appropriate for wives to throw away their husbands ugly clothes!

Or just put the iron a little too long on it, while ironing...
That should do the trick... :rolleyes:

pollyemma said:
tell me about it.

its entirely right and appropriate for wives to throw away their husbands ugly clothes!

Indeed! Sometimes it is the only way to save your eyesight.

Maxie said:
Or just put the iron a little too long on it, while ironing...
That should do the trick... :rolleyes:

it sounds like you're speaking from experience;)

pollyemma said:
or your marriage...

Lol!
Whatever it is that you threw away, it must have been a lot worse than WA's pinks "get in touch with your inner girlie"-shirt.

pollyemma said:
it sounds like you're speaking from experience;)

Well, it's not a matter of experience... but simply what I would do! Ha!

'Oops!'
'What have you done? My shirt!'
'Well, if you don't want this to happen, you just have to iron your own shirts!'

That's what I would call a 'win-win-situatie' over here. Getting rid of the ugly shirt and getting your boyfriend/husband to iron his own clothes... :p

Victoriys said:
One picture of little Amalia in Bs. As. (yesterday)
from www.hola.com

amalia.jpg

What a resolute way of walking. :D Her resoluteness must come from Grandma Beatrix.

Thanks to all, who have posted pictures (esp. Purple_Platinum)

Lena said:
What a resolute way of walking. :D Her resoluteness must come from Grandma Beatrix.

)

yes indeed. one can already see Amalia stamping her foot when things don't go exactly the way she likes.

PR concern

I've been thinking about these photos. i'm wondering is it good for Maxima and WA's PR for them be photographed attending posh polo matches in a south america.

In my eyes they can do no wrong. but as I was looking at these photos I found myself thinking,"wow. they've got a lot of money.they fit in with the elite over there" Of course I've always known they're loaded, but it's not something I consciously think about.

I think especially in Argentina, where earlier this week Maxima was photographed visiting people who live at a level of poverty that doesn't exist in the Netherlands, the contrast is jarring.

I want to stress that I don't care one bit. If M and WA enjoy polo, then that's wonderful but I'm worried these kinds of photos might provide fodder for those who want to criticize them.

Well, we know they have money... But I think you are right, it is not good for their image to become to closely associated to these jetset activities, especially in the Netherlands.

She is a little Beatrix...incredible how she looks like her grandma.

First, thank you all for the great pictures!!!!:)

Alisa said:
Since when did Máxima have her own polo tournament . Can someone elaborate? Please.

Here is my translation of "La Nación" article reporting the event:

During a torunament named after her.
Maxima enjoyed Polo in Hurlingham
The princess attended with her family.

A sunny, windy and sometimes light rainy afternoon, brought a special guest to the Hurlingham Club.

The princess of The Netherlands, Maxima Zorreguieta, was there yesterday with her family in order to enjoy a women Polo match in a tournament that carries her name. Wearing cream colour trousers, olive green jacket and white sunglasses, the Argentinean handed the Princess Maxima Cup to the winner team - La Hawaiana -, and a $ 10.000 (pesos) check the promoters of the tournament had donated, to Fraternidad de Ayuda al Niño (Aid the Child Fraternity - will explain what it is below).

Maxima arrived at Hurlingham one hour prior to the main match, in order to see her aunt and wedding godmother, Marcela Cerruti, playing during the match her team "La soñadora" played for the Subsidiary Cup. Her husband, Prince William, her daughters, Catharina-Amalia, and her parents, Maria del Carmen and Jorge Zorreguieta joined her at Field 1 tribune.

Later, she was concentrated following the match on which La Hawaiana defeated Arelauquen with a score of 6-5. Jorge Zorreguieta used to play Polo there, and she (Maxima) was a member of the club as a child. She has recently gave permission to the Club Board to name the tournament after her. With her customary low profile and surrounded by those she loves, the princess enjoyed a special afternoon.

Link to original article: http://www.lanacion.com.ar/763681

Explanation: the organization that received the money provides food (breakfast, lunch and the customary meal at teatime) to children attending a school in a low income area at the school canteen, which remains open during the summer/winter holidays.

And the press (as most of us, eventhough we understand she is now Dutch) still considers her Argentine.:)

pollyemma said:
I've been thinking about these photos. i'm wondering is it good for Maxima and WA's PR for them be photographed attending posh polo matches in a south america.

In my eyes they can do no wrong. but as I was looking at these photos I found myself thinking,"wow. they've got a lot of money.they fit in with the elite over there" Of course I've always known they're loaded, but it's not something I consciously think about.

I think especially in Argentina, where earlier this week Maxima was photographed visiting people who live at a level of poverty that doesn't exist in the Netherlands, the contrast is jarring.

Polo has always been played in my country. Not a big fan of the sport but as far as I know, the only team with all 10 handcap players is/was Argentine (not sure if they still play).

Polo is a kind of no massive National Sport, since it is very similar to our National one: (Surprise, surprise;) , it is neither football nor picketers demonstrations!!!!:p :D :) ) which is called Pato.

Maxima has always attended these matches, so I do not honestly think someone could be offended by her attendance.

We do have a lot of things to worry about here, and trust me, Polo Matches are not among them.

Polo is definitly a sport for elite or high society and Maxima is royal so she fits on that standard. But i´m quite sure that no one worries about it in our country as Silvermj´s already said we have lots of things to be worry about. BTW a lot of famous people go to polo matches and they aren´t criticize for it.

Well here in Holland, the first year of the marriage the impression was created that this couple was going on holidays to Arentina and other places almost every other week. There was some small critism about the number of visits to Argentina and the number of holidays in general. Since that the couple seem to have more responsibilities and less holidays. If they do not want to create the image of a leasure jetset couple they should be carefull not to be seen at such an high society sport as polo to often (although once, like this one, wouldn't hurt). Especially in a weekend in whih the other members of the RF are participating in volunteerswork.

More pictures from Cover and DPA without..:)

Attachments

• CAVAY5J7.jpg
    CAVAY5J7.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 309
  • CAJY477D.jpg
    CAJY477D.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 519
  • CAWHUR49.jpg
    CAWHUR49.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 288
  • CAEVWXYZ.jpg
    CAEVWXYZ.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 412
  • CAW56HFS.jpg
    CAW56HFS.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 300
  • 02.jpeg
    02.jpeg
    43.5 KB · Views: 234
  • 03.jpeg
    03.jpeg
    49.8 KB · Views: 369
  • 01.jpeg
    01.jpeg
    43.6 KB · Views: 283
Marengo said:
Well here in Holland, the first year of the marriage the impression was created that this couple was going on holidays to Arentina and other places almost every other week. There was some small critism about the number of visits to Argentina and the number of holidays in general. Since that the couple seem to have more responsibilities and less holidays. If they do not want to create the image of a leasure jetset couple they should be carefull not to be seen at such an high society sport as polo to often (although once, like this one, wouldn't hurt). Especially in a weekend in whih the other members of the RF are participating in volunteerswork.

I completely agree but to be fair, I think they were at this specific event because of a combination of reasons such as, if I understand correctly, Maxima's beloved aunt Marcela is into polo and was playing; this was a cup named after Maxima, an honor she would have had a hard time snubbing, especially since she happened to be in the country anyways; also it was a means of socializing with Maxima's family.

I get the impression that despite Maxima's background, she and W-A are not that much into Polo, if at all. It seemed more the kind of thing they did to please W-A's in-laws. (maybe that was a reason W-A looked a bit grumpy?)

But I couldn't agree more that the contrast between Maxima's visit to Argentina's poorest-of-the-poor, and this uber-snob, elite event, couldn't be more glaring.
Something, indeed, they need to be careful about..especially now that Maxima's got herself a nice, new, and deserved! reputation as the "queen of the poor"! Does it fit a queen of the poor to go to polo events? Maybe in a roundabout way it does, as she may get to promote her cause informally to all those Argentinian polo snobs! ;)

misshelen said:

It's incredible how comfortable those two look together.

misshelen said:

Misshelen, these are great! Thank you very much! :)
They look indeed very comfortable together...

I don't know too much about Maxima, but she always looks natural and seems to come across as warm and natural - down to earth despite the privilege - which is a refreshing combination to see. I think she contrasts with a lot of other royal females who do their good works but in a very self conscious, 'the camera is on me' sort of way. It is nice to see someone like Maxima, apparently just being herself wherever she is or whoever she is with.

Do they spend cristmas and new-year in Argentina or will they come home ?

Lila Rose said:
Do they spend cristmas and new-year in Argentina or will they come home ?

They came back several days ago (I'm not sure when exactly) but they already attended several activities in Holland, like the multi religion thing and the jubilee diner for the Queen in The Hague...

Maxie said:
They came back several days ago (I'm not sure when exactly) but they already attended several activities in Holland, like the multi religion thing and the jubilee diner for the Queen in The Hague...

oh...:)

Thanks for the information !

Lasst weekend I also saw a photo of Amalia riding a horse with a lady

Did some else also saw the picture ?

Yes, I believe it was her great-aunt Marcela Cerutti, sister of Maria del Carmen Zorreguieta.

pollyemma said:
i did indeed. here's the link (scroll down a little to see it)

http://levedekoningin.web-log.nl/
thanks , that was the one I meant! But is the lady realy Marcela Cerutti, sister of Maria del Carmen Zorreguieta ? She seems the me much younger, but I can be wrong ...

What is writing by the picture is very meanly , I think ! :-(

"Onze kwestie met het Koninklijk Huis en de RVD is al weer toe aan een nieuw hoofdstuk, nu we het vorige week in ons hoofd haalden een foto te plaatsen van de kleine AMALIA op een paard en het prinselijk paar - eindelijk weer eens vrolijk, wánt in het buitenland - op de tribune bij een polowedstrijd. ‘Waar gaan we in het nieuwe jaar naartoe?’ zong WIM KAN vroeger. Dat zal wel weer de rechtbank worden, vermoed ik zo."

* The royal couple , finally happy again , because they are abroad...*

Last edited:
Lila Rose said:
thanks , that was the one I meant! But is the lady realy Marcela Cerutti, sister of Maria del Carmen Zorreguieta ? She seems the me much younger, but I can be wrong ...

What is writing by the picture is very meanly , I think ! :-(

"Onze kwestie met het Koninklijk Huis en de RVD is al weer toe aan een nieuw hoofdstuk, nu we het vorige week in ons hoofd haalden een foto te plaatsen van de kleine AMALIA op een paard en het prinselijk paar - eindelijk weer eens vrolijk, wánt in het buitenland - op de tribune bij een polowedstrijd. ‘Waar gaan we in het nieuwe jaar naartoe?’ zong WIM KAN vroeger. Dat zal wel weer de rechtbank worden, vermoed ik zo."

* The royal couple , finally happy again , because they are abroad...*

I am sure it is Marcela, though the picture might be flattering. Joris posted a big picture on the Benelux Royals MB of Marcela and Amalia on a horse, on which it becaomes more evident that it is actually her. And we have to keep in mind that she is a younger sister of Maria del Carmen.

There seems to be a 'war' going on between magazine Prive and the Crownprince and Princess Maxima, which makes them make these sarcastic comments. 'Prive' was sued several times by the couple. They were the only ones who did not follow the media code this summer, joining the photosession and leave the couple alone during the holiday. Instead they joined the photoshoot in Wassenaar but published pictures anyway. The magazine also published pictures taken inside the Villa of the couple, made by a constructionworker and they paid a wife of a bodyguard of the couple to give information about the whereabouts of the couple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom