WA and Máxima at the 2008 Olympics in Beijing: August 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i agree with you,he needs to diet, and gym

Oh I didnt know that.

Started years ago,but as it is chronic he has to take 'm from time to time,and that always shows.Nothing to worry about.

what kind of meds?

The Prince has Sacoidosis or Besinier Boeck disease. This immune disorder causes small inflamatory nodules in the lungs or lymph nodes. It is often treated with prednisone, a steriod and it can cause the patient to have a "puffy" appearance.

The Prince has Sacoidosis or Besinier Boeck disease. quote]

I thought it was Sarcoidosis -- can it be spelled two different ways? or is it a different disease altogether?

It's the first time I read about this illness. Yes, I remember clearlu how "puffy" Prince Willem Alexander looked when younger. Happily, he seems to be all right nowadays. :flowers:

Vanesa.

Where have they been ?

Away.ao with grandmama in Italy.And now Beijing ofcourse,both travelled to Hong Kong today to attend equestrian events,tomorrow Alexander flies to Stockholm as he has a function in there this monday,after which he will return to Beijing.Máxima comes home,Amalia is going to school.

Last edited:
Away.ao with grandmama in Italy.And now Beijing ofcourse,both travelled to Hong Kong today to attend equestrian events,tomorrow Alexander flies to Stockholm as he has a function in there this monday,after which he will return to Beijing.Máxima comes home,Amalia is going to school.

Well I realise that it is important, and rightly her first priority, but to me personally it is a shame. I have very much enjoyed seeing so many pictures of a relaxed, smiling (not to mention cheering) Maxima!

what is it shame?

Because like I said

I have very much enjoyed seeing so many pictures of a relaxed, smiling (not to mention cheering) Maxima!
progress.gif
It will be nice to see her more formally carrying out engagements again, but it has been nice to see such an enthusiastic happy person less formally, especially without feeling that their privacy is being invaded (I dont think it likely that they can expect to be anonymous at one of the worlds most media packed events!).

Yes: I personnally think that the Princess most look a slightly little more formal. Her outfits are good for being relaxed at home, watching a movie, but not to carry official obligations...Just my toughts. :)

Vanesa.

well, it is an sport event , sso i suppose more relax clothing1!
i wonder if she share some time with the argentinean delegation?? anyones know?

well, it is an sport event , sso i suppose more relax clothing1!
i wonder if she share some time with the argentinean delegation?? anyones know?

No.None at all.Not even sneaky,only the dutch teams,she IS dutch as she has stated over and over.Period.

yes, this is true but it could happen that she run into some argentinean people and just have a talk like normal, thst now she is dutch does not mean that she can not speak with argntinean people, still spanish (and i mean argentinean spaish) her first language.

Princess Máxima is not there to support Argentinian delegation. So i would be surprised to see her sharing her time with the Argentinians.
But just because she is now a Dutch it doesn't mean she doesn't feel happy (or sad) with Argentina's perfomance... After all it's her native country and by the number of times she goes there, we may naturally think she loves Argentina.

Of course she can and is allowed to talk with Argentinean people and athletes, she's just not going to attend one of their more official events. It would be really bad PR if she did, I'm sure the Dutch press would be at her back immediately. Don't forget that her marriage with W-A was controversial at the start. She overcame all of that brilliantly because of her wonderful charisma, her ability to connect with people and her feeling for PR. She knows the Dutch press is critical, so she also knows what 16 million Dutch expect from her and she does that brilliantly, I must say.

I'm sure she still loves to watch Argentinean athletes too and has a soft spot for them too, she just isn't going to show it. Being a Dutch princess she just can't, it's a simple as that.

Of course she can and is allowed to talk with Argentinean people and athletes, she's just not going to attend one of their more official events. It would be really bad PR if she did, I'm sure the Dutch press would be at her back immediately. Don't forget that her marriage with W-A was controversial at the start. She overcame all of that brilliantly because of her wonderful charisma, her ability to connect with people and her feeling for PR. She knows the Dutch press is critical, so she also knows what 16 million Dutch expect from her and she does that brilliantly, I must say.

I'm sure she still loves to watch Argentinean athletes too and has a soft spot for them too, she just isn't going to show it. Being a Dutch princess she just can't, it's a simple as that.

It would have caused another Denmark/Autralia riot sort of thing.We don't do that.

Btw,mommy is back home again....with her favorite supporters,the Tripla A's!:flowers:

lucien, does Princess Maxima have alot of events coming up? there doesn't seem to be any posted on the calendar.

I just cannot believe that the Dutch press is still critical of anything that Maxima does now. She has proven what a wonderful wife and mother she is to the future King and their daughter, the future Queen. Sure, she still has a fondness for her birth country, but I don't believe she would ever think of herself as anything but Dutch now and the press should know that.

The prince spoke about this in a newspaper. He said that Máxima was supporting the Netherlands if they were playing against Argentina. But she expected WA to support Argentina when they were playing other nations, like she is doing.
At the Olympics however I have only seen her with Dutch athletes.

Leo Vogelzang has a lot of pictures of Máxima and WA inBeijing. Many of these pictures featured in the national newspapers and gossip press but I haven't seen them posted here.

Some of WA, Máxima and President Bush int he background. The gossip press proudly said that the Orange couple was annoying president Bush with their enthausiasm. And the same magazines and even some newspapers showed pictures to show that the couple is more in love than ever, and have no reason to fear the 7-year marriage dip.

---
Cheering in pink

---

Máxima and a funny face

Máxima is tired and not cheered by Marleen Veldhuis' disappointing race

Sleepy

Even speepier

Yes...still sleepy

----

Jumping

With Bertine Vriesekoop

Toasting with Erica Terpstra

With NOC members from the Antilles

----

In yellow

Cheering

The prince gave numerous interviews the last days. Many about the Olympics, about the Olympics of 2028 and why The Netherlands should try to 'get' them. He was also interviewed by radio host Edwin Evers of Radio 538. He told him that his daughters are quite competitive already. This summer they were always running around or int he water.

Article in Dutch here.

---

And an article from Dutchnews.nl:

Prince says Olympics good for sport

Thursday 14 August 2008
Efforts to bring the 2028 Olympics to the Netherlands will hopefully involve more young people in sport and improve the Dutch sporting mentality, crown prince Willem-Alexander told NOS tv on Thursday.

Just looking at the cost of organising the games is a negative approach, the prince was reported as saying.

----

On royalblog several image experts are talking about the Prince of Orange in Beijing. They say that the current cheering of him and his wife are not damaging for his image perse. In 1996 there was a lot of critisism about his over-cheering but this time the newspapers and public remained silent and seem to appreciate it. The prince has succesfully proven himself and does not have his student image anymore so he can afford this. The prince should however be careful in not to be too positive about the Chinese hosts.

Last edited:
I just cannot believe that the Dutch press is still critical of anything that Maxima does now. She has proven what a wonderful wife and mother she is to the future King and their daughter, the future Queen. Sure, she still has a fondness for her birth country, but I don't believe she would ever think of herself as anything but Dutch now and the press should know that.

Well, I do remember a certain something Maxima said about the Dutch identity not too long ago, for which she got a lot of negative press. I think she's very aware of how things can be explained in the Dutch press these days. I'm totally with you about the fact that the press should know she's totally Dutch by now, but the reality is that this message just doesn't sell newspapers.

Thanks for the Vogelzang pics, Marengo! Some of those are really entertaining. :)

You are welcome Maxie :).

-
I actually the think that the Dutch press is quite nice towards Máxima. Only if a topic is sensitive politically they will write something negative. The recent weeks however I have read nothing negative about the couple cheering in Beijing. As I was on holidays I only read de Telegraaf and some internet sites, but still.... Some pictures are really inviting for nasty remarks but they are not made.

Usually it is the other way around the press usually cuts of a picture when a dress starts to get bad, they usually post the most flattering picture of Máxima etc etc. Of course this is not unique for Máxima, I suppose they do the same for the rest of the RF but they have much less unflattering pictures (apart from the PoO and his nose cleaning in Beijing).

Last edited:
No, I didn't read any nasty remarks either, not even on the nose picking incident (well apart from those written by moi, but I'm no press :lol:).

I love the fact that the press is proudly stating that they were annoying Bush. I think it is wonderful that they are so enthusiastic. Their athletes are very lucky to have such a caring royal family cheering them on. It has been fun seeing pictures of WA and Maxima in Beijing. They seem so happy and so in love.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom