The Princess of Orange, Princesses Alexia and Ariane, News Part 1 (May 2013-Jan 2019)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No, i haven't seen anything like that in dutch media either (as Duc said apart from the internet trolling after last King's day), but we don't get much information about the private life of the dutch royals in the dutch media due to the mediacode. It's quite common that there's more info in foreign media or internet forums like these than in the traditional dutch media..

The Dutch only see the Princesses on King's Day, which is broadcast live, for hours. Between last King's Day and the coming (April 27th) Amalia has changed a lot. I am afraid she better braces herself for a Twitter storm :(

People will speak about her overweight.
Almost all European head of states and high-profile politicians don't have overweight. People simply don't vote for fat people. Katharina Amalia is a future unelected head of state and she doesn't meet standards. The years to come will be difficult to her.

she is not overweight actually she looks much like her grandmother queen beatrix if you see pictures of young princess beatrix you will see the similarity , when she hits full puberty
like her grandmother she will get taller and her physical structure will improve .

It is a sad fact that Amalia is bound to be flamed on the Net.
If for no other reason than her position.

If it wasn't her looks it would be something else. :sad:
We can only hope that her parents have prepared her well enough for her to be strong enough to not let it affect her.

I think it's a bit too far to say that she is fat IMO. A bit chubby perhaps, but some people are build like that.
I also think it's a bit far to conclude that it will be a problem for her in the eyes of the public in the future. There are many other things she could do wrong than being overweight.

The Princess is only 13 and in full transformation. I have seen plenty of ducklings becoming nice swans. Her mother Queen Máxima also had a puppy fat tendence. In her engagement period she was rounder in the face than today, still a stunning lady on her way to her fifties. Time will learn but when not Letizia-skinny, Princess Catharina-Amalia will still fit in the image of Hollands Welvaren, a saying for typically blossoming, large and ravissante Dutch blondes.

Last edited:
The articles refer to the information that we have posted here in May 2016.

Perhaps they had a slow news day and the intern searched the web. They 'forget' to mention a date, but the article in the Telegraaf newspaper that they refer to, dates from the day after king's day.

she is not overweight actually she looks much like her grandmother queen beatrix if you see pictures of young princess beatrix you will see the similarity , when she hits full puberty
like her grandmother she will get taller and her physical structure will improve .

I fear she definitely is...:whistling:
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2017/02/05/08/3CD72D7E00000578-4192186-image-a-12_1486284416087.jpg

I was a little blown away seeing this, I must confess. But mobbing people for their body problems one just cannot do!

Perhaps we can avoid discussing the body image issues of other people's children. It's neither kind nor interesting. Thank you.

It is a big problem for the children who are now overweighted, M O Bama tried to fight again this , to much fast foods and watching the TV all the day
Amalia es like other children and it is not unkind to speak about this.
I think that the princesses of Orange are doing surely sport and eating well, I think that some young girls are a little overweighted at the age of 13 to 16 after that age they grow up and they lost weights,
I think that Amalia will grow up and will lost some weight after 15 and she will be a beautiful young girl.
Camille , the daughter of Princess Stephanie was overweighted at the age of 13, she grew up and she lost weight, she is a beautiful young girl now

I fail to see how strange adults criticizing children's appearance is either helpful or kind. Would you want your teenage daughter's body to be a topic of discussion in a tabloid paper or an online forum? I think not.

Nobody is criticizing the appearance of Amalia, on the forum
We are all saying that Amalia will be a beautiful young girl.
No need to do a lesson to everybody

I fail to see how strange adults criticizing children's appearance is either helpful or kind. Would you want your teenage daughter's body to be a topic of discussion in a tabloid paper or an online forum? I think not.

I don´t know if you are so sensitive about this issue because of yourself or a close family member, but it´s not about criticizing anyone being fat, but how the (social) media is dealing with it and what it means for a teenage european princess in 2017 to cope with it.

Well, since Amalia's looks and weight is mocked, it's IMO valid to discuss the topic here. - And that surely can and should be done in a civilized, adult manner. I.e. without us resorting to criticize her looks.

Is there anything in the Dutch legislation that can be used against people (Here I mainly mean adults) who cross the line in regards to Amalia's weight and looks?
She is after all a child and I simply wonder whether there is any legislation in place to protect her.

Amalia is of large constitution - both wa and maxima are like that, big bone structures, tall... and I'm afraid the tendency to get over weight with that body type is present. Maxima herself lost quite a bit of weight recently. I am sure Amalia noticed maxima making healthier choices and is educated or will get educated watching her parents doing so. Plus she is a teen now and probably dealing with hormonal changes as well which doesn't help. Let's give her time and personal space to deal with all this.

Princess Catharina-Amalia has a mother who can look über-glamorous. Queen Máxima has clearly introduced a regime which gave her a belle figure. There are professional cooks at the palaces and at the royal villa (or would thát be the problem: chefs preparing delicious food?). The King looks more overweight than ever...

At the same time I see that Princess Alexia, always seen as the spitting image of Queen Máxima, is fuller too. That makes me guess that the princesses are in puberty, in transformation from girls to ladies. Yes... of course we need to be careful, but the A-Team IS in the media and WILL probably be trending topic on Twitter when they arrive in the city of Tilburg on King's Day, during a live broadcast and watched by millions.

We are interested in royalty and follow these forums. The average Dutch have no idea. They only see the princesses at King's Day and maybe from pictures made during holidays. The Dutch seeing the princesses on April 27th 2017 will see total different ladies from last year, and waaaaaay different from the Investiture in 2013. It will undoubtedly lead to a flood of comments in social media. That is unavoidable.

A gymnasium is a type school with classic formation: latin and classic greek are compulsory. In the media I learned that Amalia as Chinese as extra. This next to her Dutch/Spanish/English/German upbringing...

The gymnasium typically leads to a baccalaureate which gives access to university. Like for her sister, the gymnasium will be a challenge for Alexia.

Last week Princess Ariane ended her primary school. Just like her two sisters, she will also go the the Christelijk Gymnasium Sorghvliet in The Hague. See link. The green part is the atrium, the brown brickstoned part behind are the classrooms.

In the Dutch school system a gymnasium or an atheneum is comparable with Grammar School in the UK or Prep School in the USA. A gymnasium is similar to the atheneum, except that in the curriculum of a gymnasium the education in ancient languages (Latin, Greek), combined with education in ancient culture is compulsory.

Sorghvliet is a small school with only one type of education (gymnasium) and a few hundreds of students. This helps to achieve amongst the highest scores nationwide, which is not so strange: small-scaled schools with dedicated teachers and motivating surroundings help to bring the best in children.

In the past decades the trend was to cluster different types of education in mammoth schools located on giant campuses. The democratic and emancipatory idea was that children from different cultures and differences in schooltype could meet each other in such clustered schools. In reality these mammoth schools with thousands and thousands of students have turned into "school factories" where teachers barely know their students and the segregation in schooltypes became not at all broken. It works on paper. In reality not so. The last decade the tide is turning back to small-scale schools offering one type of education. Exactly the type of school of the princesses.

Last edited:
Huh, Ariane is only 10? Alexia is the one heading into her first year of high school after this summer.

A gymnasium is a type school with classic formation: latin and classic greek are compulsory. In the media I learned that Amalia as Chinese as extra. This next to her Dutch/Spanish/English/German upbringing...

The gymnasium typically leads to a baccalaureate which gives access to university. Like for her sister, the gymnasium will be a challenge for Alexia.

Won't the education of the princesses in Math and Science (what is more broadly called STEM in the US) be lacking somewhat in that kind of school ? I was checking the school's website out of curiosity and was not very impressed. If I understood it correctly, their pupils scored below the national average in subjects such as Math and even Greek and Latin, which are supposed to be their differential. In fact, the only subjects where the school was convincingly above the national average were French and, to a lesser extent, German ; all other subjects were only about the national average (sometimes slightly above) or below average.

Kwaliteit Gymnasium Sorghvliet

Am I lost in translation or is it the case that sending the princesses to a Protestant school was a more important factor than academics in the selection of that school in particular ?

Last edited:
Huh, Ariane is only 10? Alexia is the one heading into her first year of high school after this summer.

You are right, I thought Princess Alexia was already at Sorghvliet (was in the news some months ago) and Princess Ariane was following. But indeed, it is Alexia who ended primary school last week and will go to Sorghvliet. The news a few months ago was just the announcement of what was going to happen.

My excuses for the confusion! I also can not keep the girls apart. Three blondes but who-is-who? :online2lo

Princess Amalia will start in 3 Gymnasium after the holidays. The gymnasium has six schoolyears, so Amalia is going fast. Before we realize she will already enter university or so...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom