The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-20-2015, 05:55 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalfanvivian View Post
Last Wednesday, the King could not say anything about the school of his daughter, but tonight it was announced that the Princess of Orange after the summer holidays at the Christian school Sorghvliet Hague goes.

Princess of Orange goes to school Sorghvliet
Yes, it seems the inscription of new students has closed today. They kept it secret to prevent people sending their children to Sorghvliet, just to be in the same school with Princess Amalia...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress Merel View Post
So basically Amalia will hardly interact with various types of people in her age group.
Isn't that inevitable and doesn't that simply count for all those thousands and thousands of students at the Barlaeus Gymnasium (Amsterdam), the Vossius Gymnasium (Amsterdam), the Gymnasium Haganum (The Hague), the Gymnasium Erasmanianum (Rotterdam), the Praedinus Gymnasium (Groningen), etc. etc. ? Most of them will be from "plooirokken en parelkettingen"-milieus, with field hockey, rowing, horseriding and cricket as most popular sports... That is inherent to independent gymnasia and yes, the background of the parents still are a major encouragement and trigger for children "to make optimal use of all possibilities of life".

Anyway, for a future Queen of the Netherlands, this secondary education with focus on "a classic building" is an excellent choice. Congratulations to the young Princess.

Old 03-20-2015, 07:48 PM
Serene Highness

A future king or queen should have the best education money can buy especially if he or she is academically inclined or precocious. If Amalia grows up to have a law degree like Beatrix or studies economics like Margrethe it will be a great and fitting thing for a modern woman and Royal.

Old 03-20-2015, 09:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
The Rijksvoorlichtingsdienst has issued the following communiqué:

Her Royal Highness The Princess of Orange will enroll into to the Christian Gymnasium Sorghvliet in The Hague.

The Princess is now in group 8 of the public Bloemcampschool in Wassenaar.

The period of the Princess' school is private. At the express request of the parents an appeal is made on the media to continue to respect the privacy of their daughter.

RVD, no. 58 / 20 March 2015

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I assume "Christian Gymnasium" means a Protestant school, right ? It looks like, despite her mother's Catholic background, King Willem-Alexander is determined to ensure that Amalia is raised as a devout Calvinist in accordance with the Orange-Nassau tradition.

Amalia of course is not the only royal heir to attend a denominational school. Elisabeth of Belgium for example goes to a Catholic school. Personally, I would rather see both receive a 100 % secular education, but their parents have the right to choose a religious upbringing for their kids if they want to.
Old 03-20-2015, 11:48 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
Isn't that inevitable and doesn't that simply count for all those thousands and thousands of students at the Barlaeus Gymnasium (Amsterdam), the Vossius Gymnasium (Amsterdam), the Gymnasium Haganum (The Hague), the Gymnasium Erasmanianum (Rotterdam), the Praedinus Gymnasium (Groningen), etc. etc. ? Most of them will be from "plooirokken en parelkettingen"-milieus, with field hockey, rowing, horseriding and cricket as most popular sports... That is inherent to independent gymnasia and yes, the background of the parents still are a major encouragement and trigger for children "to make optimal use of all possibilities of life".

Anyway, for a future Queen of the Netherlands, this secondary education with focus on "a classic building" is an excellent choice. Congratulations to the young Princess.

Thank you for sharing the information regarding Amalia's next school. So will she be here until she's 17 or 18?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
I assume "Christian Gymnasium" means a Protestant school, right ? It looks like, despite her mother's Catholic background, King Willem-Alexander is determined to ensure that Amalia is raised as a devout Calvinist in accordance with the Orange-Nassau tradition.

Amalia of course is not the only royal heir to attend a denominational school. Elisabeth of Belgium for example goes to a Catholic school. Personally, I would rather see both receive a 100 % secular education, but their parents have the right to choose a religious upbringing for their kids if they want to.
Doesn't Leonor of Spain attend a Catholic school? I know that she'll be having her First Communion with her classmates.
Old 03-21-2015, 04:17 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post

[....]
Yes. Sorghvliet has a Christian character. The curriculum reads: "Every day is started with a reading in the Bible. The study of the Christian faith as well knowledge of other faiths and meanings of life is compulsory for all students.

It seems it was the Princess herself whom choose the school. She has been at the Vrijzinnig-Christelijk Lyceum (Liberal-Christian Lyceum), her father's school, and the public (= state) Gymnasium Haganum in The Hague. In the media is told the Princess visited all schools during a normal schoolday "to sniff the atmosphere". In the end the Princess choose the Christelijk Gymnasium Sorghvliet.

The rector stated: "I never know why children or parents exactly made a choice for this specific school and not for that other school. I can only say that we are very proud to welcome Princess Amalia on our school and we wish her a great time. We will do everything for the Princess ánd for all other students to ensure that school life will be as normal as possible".

It seems the King and the Queen have stressed to the school that the Princess must be treated "as any normal student" which means: too late is too late, unsatisfactory is unsatisfactory, etc.

It is not sure the Protestant character of the school really played a role. Note that Princess Amalia, Princess Alexia and Princess Ariane all are students at the public (= state) Bloemcampschool in Wassenaar. So not on a Protestant or Catholic primary school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
Thank you for sharing the information regarding Amalia's next school. So will she be here until she's 17 or 18?
Yes the Princess will finish at the age of 17, unless she has to do the same year again because of poor results. Princess Amalia did 7 years on her primary education (including Kindergarten). That is one year faster than normal. She has bypassed one year of primary school because of her good results.

At the age of 18 Princess Catharina-Amalia will reach the age of consent, she can execute the royal prerogatives. At this age the Princess will be given entrance to the Raad van State (Council of State), the highest advisory body in the Netherlands (est. 1531) which also is the highest Court of Administration.

We may expect the Princess to continue her studies at Leyden University (est. 1575 by her ancestor Willem I of Nassau, Prince of Orange), like her father, grandmother and great-grandmother did, as well more Orange-Nassaus in the past.

Old 03-21-2015, 04:45 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Sorghvliet was considered the best school of it kind of the country. pss Laurentien went to school there, as did several ministers (incl. Laurentien's father). It is the poshest school of The Hague. At least she didn't pick the Rijnlands in Wassenaar or the American school.

Quote:
Most schools in the Netherlands have a religious affiliation. Though these days some start to be ' inter confessional', which means it is based on multiple religions. There will be a few secular schools in the Hague, but often the level of such schools is below average.
Old 03-21-2015, 05:06 AM
Majesty

The Catholic and Protestant schools indeed in general have the best results in annual comparisons. I am not sure Sorghvliet is really the poshest (yes, Princess Laurentien and especially her father are hard to beat in posh speaking, haha) because the centuries-old Gymnasium Haganum (est. as Latin School around 1327!) looks absolutely the most "plooirokken en parelkettingen" to me... It also has an impressive entrance and stunning interior, worth a future Queen of the Netherlands....

Old 03-22-2015, 10:39 AM
Aristocracy

Amalia It was not just the day that it was announced that she goes to school Sorghvliet, she also had a special outing in The Hague.

Princess of Orange visits the Courtyard
Old 03-22-2015, 10:46 AM
Majesty

The Courtyard?

I think they mean the Binnenhof, the Inner Court? (The Buitenhof is the Outer Court).

Click on the picture itself to blow up to mega format.
Old 03-22-2015, 11:53 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalfanvivian View Post
Amalia It was not just the day that it was announced that she goes to school Sorghvliet, she also had a special outing in The Hague.

Princess of Orange visits the Courtyard
That has got to be the worst translation I’ve seen in a long time. Granted.. I usually don’t read translated Dutch articles but come on.. “how long the fork in the stem”?? Google should be able to do better than that.

I bet she already knows how comfortable that chair is. I bet she and her sisters tried.
Old 03-22-2015, 12:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

Yes, google translate is not too skilled in dutch; for people who have their own website and are wanting to get a more international audience, it's better to provide an english option on the website itself..

Automatic translators are often good enough to roughly get a sense of what an article is about, but if you really want to know the details... not so much
Old 03-23-2015, 05:41 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

On friday Princess Catharine-AMalia visited parlament in The Hague with her school class.

Den Haag FM Prinses Amalia op bezoek in Eerste en Tweede Kamer - Den Haag FM

Courtesy: ATR
Old 04-10-2015, 02:27 AM
Aristocracy

Princess Ariane is celebrating its 8th birthday.

Princess Ariane 8 years
Old 04-11-2015, 08:14 AM
Majesty

A royalista article on Ariane's B-day: Happy birthday Princess Ariane! | Royalista

There is a glimmer in her eyes, that suggests IMO that she can come up with some serious mischief from time to time...
Old 06-26-2015, 02:41 AM
Aristocracy

Princess Alexia celebrates its 10th anniversary!

Princess Alexia year
Old 08-24-2015, 04:13 AM
Heir Presumptive

Princess Amalia started today at her new school (first day at "high school", although this is not a name used in the NL, but I think for the international posters here that's more recognizable ):
Prinses Amalia begint op gymnasium Sorghvliet | NU - Het laatste nieuws het eerst op NU.nl

translated

I love the pic, very dutch

ETA: http://www.telegraaf.nl/prive/244081...ia_vast__.html
this page has a little video as well, filmed by K.W-A himself
Old 08-24-2015, 06:36 AM
Majesty

Very Dutch indeed, an omafiets (granny bike) with a box. See picture. Lovely. (I also love the meticulously trimmed green ivy covering the villa!).
Old 08-24-2015, 06:41 AM
Majesty

Article with video from Royalista: King calls for respect of daughter's privacy with family snapshot | Royalista
Old 08-24-2015, 06:49 AM
Nobility

very Beautiful Healthy girl
Old 08-24-2015, 07:37 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-Z View Post
Princess Amalia started today at her new school (first day at "high school", although this is not a name used in the NL, but I think for the international posters here that's more recognizable ):
Prinses Amalia begint op gymnasium Sorghvliet | NU - Het laatste nieuws het eerst op NU.nl

translated

I love the pic, very dutch

ETA: Koning legt eerste schooldag Amalia vast|Prive| Telegraaf.nl
this page has a little video as well, filmed by K.W-A himself
Already in high school. I wonder if it is what we call Junior High in Canada"

Tags
princess alexia (2005 -), princess ariane, princess catharina-amalia, princess of orange