The Princess of Orange, Princesses Alexia and Ariane, News Part 1 (May 2013-Jan 2019)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I understand he actually makes an appearance at the nations' harbors in the weeks prior to his holiday.

He arrived today. I don't know when he arrives in The Hague, perhaps next weekend.

I was in Amsterdam this time last year and was told that Sinterklaas traditionally arrives in the Netherlands each year in mid-November,I think he's meant to come from Spain as per the tradition.Maybe some of our Dutch members can correct me if I'm wrong.

:previous: last year they didn't attend the arrival of Sinterklaas in Wassenaar AFAIK, neither did they do it this year (they were at least not seen by the public). Ariane is at an age that she may know the truth behind it, so... Also, there has been an ongoing discussion about the helper of Sinterklaas, black Pete. Some claim that it is racist, others claim that it is not. The debate has been rather ugly the last two years so it is fortunate that the RF stays out of it.

----
On a different note, Pss Alexia appears to be a good singer. RTL Boulevards Marc van der Linden says that while the family attended an event at in Amsterdam
There was a party in Amsterdam, with among the guests Pss Beatrix and WA and family. At one point Q. Maxima took sheet music, went to the orchestra and asked them if they could play a song. WA arranged a microphone and after that Alexia went on stage. The princess said she wanted to sing a song for her godmother (Jkvr. Alexandra Jankovich de Jeszenice), as she lived in NYC for a long time and now returned to The Netherlands. After that she started singing 'New York' of Alicia Keys. According to people who attended she did it very well. WA was proud, and joked that as she is no. 2, there may be a future in it.

Source:
Prinses Alexia blijkt ware nachtegaal | RTL Nieuws

Last edited:
Thank you for the update Marengo. Considering Ariane's age now perhaps she feels that she is too old to watch him arrive.

A discussion started about an initiative of the 'Dutch design action'. They started a competition between gold- and silversmiths to create a jewel of 45.000 euros. Princess Catharina-Amalia would serve as a source of 'inspiration' for the design and the winning jewel would be offered to her.

This was revealed earlier this week in RTL boulevard. Lots of angry messages followed on witter: the money could better be used for children in need than for the princess. Angry people started an action to raise 45.000 euros for children in need.

The RVD tweeted that it was not in any way participating or even notified about the action and that the royal house was not involved at all.

The association that organised this initiative claims that the media made their own story and that it never intended the jewel to be handed over to the princess. The jewels will be handed back to the makers after the competition ends.

Marc van der Linden (Weekend/Royalty magazine) claims that the association did want to hand over the jewel and claims that they old him so in emails.

http://www.nrc.nl/nieuws/2014/11/27/twitter-rel-rondom-inzamelingsactie-voor-ring-prinses-amalia/

http://www.vorsten.nl/2014/11/27/am...meden/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

Last edited:
Lovely photos of the AAA team. It looks like Alexia has a retainer now.

I wonder about the teeth of Princess Catharina-Amalia: her sister Princess Alexia has a retainer, so to see. But Amalia herself has irregular teeth and could use braces as well, so is my impression... ?

A discussion started about an initiative of the 'Dutch design action'. They started a competition between gold- and silversmiths to create a jewel of 45.000 euros. Princess Catharina-Amalia would serve as a source of 'inspiration' for the design and the winning jewel would be offered to her.

This was revealed earlier this week in RTL boulevard. Lots of angry messages followed on witter: the money could better be used for children in need than for the princess. Angry people started an action to raise 45.000 euros for children in need.

The RVD tweeted that it was not in any way participating or even notified about the action and that the royal house was not involved at all.

The association that organised this initiative claims that the media made their own story and that it never intended the jewel to be handed over to the princess. The jewels will be handed back to the makers after the competition ends.

Marc van der Linden (Weekend/Royalty magazine) claims that the association did want to hand over the jewel and claims that they old him so in emails.

Koninklijk Huis: niets te maken met inzamelingsactie ring Amalia - nrc.nl

Amalia is inspiratiebron voor goudsmeden - Vorsten

Good heavens, what a "terror' from social media, while it was all a well-willing gesture by the gold- and silversmiths.

:ermm:

At the other end, the designs were so ghastly that the Princess will be happy not to have to wear the 'winner'.

:lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know what's true or not in the story, but am a bit surprised that one of the designs nominated is inspired by the "oranje, blanje, bleu", which has some connotations u'm pretty sure the RF would not want to be associated with anyway..

How they have grown and are such beautiful little ladies. I see that they are letting their hair grow and it is very long, blonde and gorgeous. What beauties they will be when older and dad better keep the army by his side to keep the boys away.......:lol:

I wonder about the teeth of Princess Catharina-Amalia: her sister Princess Alexia has a retainer, so to see. But Amalia herself has irregular teeth and could use braces as well, so is my impression... ?

Amalia has one too. She has outside teeth braces.

Ah, thank you... so the Princess of Orange will have nicely lined teeth in a year or two.

:flowers:

I agree with other posters, the three girls have everything to blossom into the Three Graces...

Tomorrow the Band of the Royal Navy's Marines Corps will give a concert in honour of Her Royal Highness The Princess of Orange. Some 60 pupils from the Princess Catharina-Amalia School will attend the concert as well. The other guests are members of the Royal Household, members of the International Court of Justice, of the Corps Diplomatique and other distinghuised guests. The concert will be performed in the Gothic Hall of the former Palace of Willem II and Anna Paulovna at the Kneuterdijk in The Hague.

This year the Band will perform a Hungarian-themed program with -amongst more- the Ouverture from "Der Zigeunerbaron" (Johann Strauss Jr.), "Dances of Galánta" (Zoltán Kodály), the Csárdás (Vittorio Monti), etc. I don't know of the birthday girl herself did ever attend this concert in her honour.

The Rijksvoorlichtingsdienst has issued the following communiqué:

Her Royal Highness The Princess of Orange will enroll into to the Christian Gymnasium Sorghvliet in The Hague.

The Princess is now in group 8 of the public Bloemcampschool in Wassenaar.

The period of the Princess' school is private. At the express request of the parents an appeal is made on the media to continue to respect the privacy of their daughter.

RVD, no. 58 / 20 March 2015

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A gymnasium is the oldest and most traditional form of secondary education. In the Netherlands, a gymnasium is the highest variant of secondary education. It consists of six years in which pupils study for obtaining a baccalaureate, with the addition of compulsory Ancient Greek, Latin and the history of the Ancient Greek and Roman culture, literature and arts.

The Christian Gymnasium Sorghvliet (picture of the new addition to the old building) is a relatively small school with around 700 students. It is exclusively a gymnasium, so it is no mega-school which houses different schooltypes. The school has a Christian character. Every day is started with a reading in the Bible, so says the curriculum. The study of the Christian faith as well knowledge of other faiths and meanings of life is compulsory for all students.

The school is attached to the traditional form of a gymnasium. This means that also plays from Aeschylus, Sophocles, Euripides, etc. are still performed: see picture. Princess Laurentien was also a student at Sorghvliet. Side note: Princess Amalia did 7 years on her primary education (including Kindergarten). That is one year faster than normal. The Princess will already enroll secondary education at the age of 11. She has bypassed one year because of her good results.

Last edited:
So basically Amalia will hardly interact with various types of people in her age group.

Last Wednesday, the King could not say anything about the school of his daughter, but tonight it was announced that the Princess of Orange after the summer holidays at the Christian school Sorghvliet Hague goes.

Princess of Orange goes to school Sorghvliet

Yes, it seems the inscription of new students has closed today. They kept it secret to prevent people sending their children to Sorghvliet, just to be in the same school with Princess Amalia...

So basically Amalia will hardly interact with various types of people in her age group.

Isn't that inevitable and doesn't that simply count for all those thousands and thousands of students at the Barlaeus Gymnasium (Amsterdam), the Vossius Gymnasium (Amsterdam), the Gymnasium Haganum (The Hague), the Gymnasium Erasmanianum (Rotterdam), the Praedinus Gymnasium (Groningen), etc. etc. ? Most of them will be from "plooirokken en parelkettingen"-milieus, with field hockey, rowing, horseriding and cricket as most popular sports... That is inherent to independent gymnasia and yes, the background of the parents still are a major encouragement and trigger for children "to make optimal use of all possibilities of life".

Anyway, for a future Queen of the Netherlands, this secondary education with focus on "a classic building" is an excellent choice. Congratulations to the young Princess.

A future king or queen should have the best education money can buy especially if he or she is academically inclined or precocious. If Amalia grows up to have a law degree like Beatrix or studies economics like Margrethe it will be a great and fitting thing for a modern woman and Royal.

Last edited:
The Rijksvoorlichtingsdienst has issued the following communiqué:

Her Royal Highness The Princess of Orange will enroll into to the Christian Gymnasium Sorghvliet in The Hague.

The Princess is now in group 8 of the public Bloemcampschool in Wassenaar.

The period of the Princess' school is private. At the express request of the parents an appeal is made on the media to continue to respect the privacy of their daughter.

RVD, no. 58 / 20 March 2015

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I assume "Christian Gymnasium" means a Protestant school, right ? It looks like, despite her mother's Catholic background, King Willem-Alexander is determined to ensure that Amalia is raised as a devout Calvinist in accordance with the Orange-Nassau tradition.

Amalia of course is not the only royal heir to attend a denominational school. Elisabeth of Belgium for example goes to a Catholic school. Personally, I would rather see both receive a 100 % secular education, but their parents have the right to choose a religious upbringing for their kids if they want to.

Isn't that inevitable and doesn't that simply count for all those thousands and thousands of students at the Barlaeus Gymnasium (Amsterdam), the Vossius Gymnasium (Amsterdam), the Gymnasium Haganum (The Hague), the Gymnasium Erasmanianum (Rotterdam), the Praedinus Gymnasium (Groningen), etc. etc. ? Most of them will be from "plooirokken en parelkettingen"-milieus, with field hockey, rowing, horseriding and cricket as most popular sports... That is inherent to independent gymnasia and yes, the background of the parents still are a major encouragement and trigger for children "to make optimal use of all possibilities of life".

Anyway, for a future Queen of the Netherlands, this secondary education with focus on "a classic building" is an excellent choice. Congratulations to the young Princess.

Thank you for sharing the information regarding Amalia's next school. So will she be here until she's 17 or 18?

I assume "Christian Gymnasium" means a Protestant school, right ? It looks like, despite her mother's Catholic background, King Willem-Alexander is determined to ensure that Amalia is raised as a devout Calvinist in accordance with the Orange-Nassau tradition.

Amalia of course is not the only royal heir to attend a denominational school. Elisabeth of Belgium for example goes to a Catholic school. Personally, I would rather see both receive a 100 % secular education, but their parents have the right to choose a religious upbringing for their kids if they want to.

Doesn't Leonor of Spain attend a Catholic school? I know that she'll be having her First Communion with her classmates.

[....]

Yes. Sorghvliet has a Christian character. The curriculum reads: "Every day is started with a reading in the Bible. The study of the Christian faith as well knowledge of other faiths and meanings of life is compulsory for all students.

It seems it was the Princess herself whom choose the school. She has been at the Vrijzinnig-Christelijk Lyceum (Liberal-Christian Lyceum), her father's school, and the public (= state) Gymnasium Haganum in The Hague. In the media is told the Princess visited all schools during a normal schoolday "to sniff the atmosphere". In the end the Princess choose the Christelijk Gymnasium Sorghvliet.

The rector stated: "I never know why children or parents exactly made a choice for this specific school and not for that other school. I can only say that we are very proud to welcome Princess Amalia on our school and we wish her a great time. We will do everything for the Princess ánd for all other students to ensure that school life will be as normal as possible".

It seems the King and the Queen have stressed to the school that the Princess must be treated "as any normal student" which means: too late is too late, unsatisfactory is unsatisfactory, etc.

It is not sure the Protestant character of the school really played a role. Note that Princess Amalia, Princess Alexia and Princess Ariane all are students at the public (= state) Bloemcampschool in Wassenaar. So not on a Protestant or Catholic primary school.

Thank you for sharing the information regarding Amalia's next school. So will she be here until she's 17 or 18?

Yes the Princess will finish at the age of 17, unless she has to do the same year again because of poor results. Princess Amalia did 7 years on her primary education (including Kindergarten). That is one year faster than normal. She has bypassed one year of primary school because of her good results.

At the age of 18 Princess Catharina-Amalia will reach the age of consent, she can execute the royal prerogatives. At this age the Princess will be given entrance to the Raad van State (Council of State), the highest advisory body in the Netherlands (est. 1531) which also is the highest Court of Administration.

We may expect the Princess to continue her studies at Leyden University (est. 1575 by her ancestor Willem I of Nassau, Prince of Orange), like her father, grandmother and great-grandmother did, as well more Orange-Nassaus in the past.

Sorghvliet was considered the best school of it kind of the country. pss Laurentien went to school there, as did several ministers (incl. Laurentien's father). It is the poshest school of The Hague. At least she didn't pick the Rijnlands in Wassenaar or the American school.

Most schools in the Netherlands have a religious affiliation. Though these days some start to be ' inter confessional', which means it is based on multiple religions. There will be a few secular schools in the Hague, but often the level of such schools is below average.

The Catholic and Protestant schools indeed in general have the best results in annual comparisons. I am not sure Sorghvliet is really the poshest (yes, Princess Laurentien and especially her father are hard to beat in posh speaking, haha) because the centuries-old Gymnasium Haganum (est. as Latin School around 1327!) looks absolutely the most "plooirokken en parelkettingen" to me... It also has an impressive entrance and stunning interior, worth a future Queen of the Netherlands....

:lol:

The Courtyard?

I think they mean the Binnenhof, the Inner Court? (The Buitenhof is the Outer Court).

Click on the picture itself to blow up to mega format.

Amalia It was not just the day that it was announced that she goes to school Sorghvliet, she also had a special outing in The Hague.

Princess of Orange visits the Courtyard

That has got to be the worst translation I’ve seen in a long time. Granted.. I usually don’t read translated Dutch articles but come on.. “how long the fork in the stem”?? Google should be able to do better than that.

I bet she already knows how comfortable that chair is. I bet she and her sisters tried. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom