The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-08-2017, 07:23 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Yes, I recognised the photo from the family portraits too. I think this is one of my favourites of Amalia though - it's really captured her features well.

I hope Amalia had a lovely birthday; I cannot believe that she's fourteen already. Suddenly all the young heirs of Amalia, Leonor and Christian's generation are no longer children and are blossoming into pre-teens and teens. Time certainly does fly.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 12-10-2017, 01:45 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by eya View Post
New picture of Prinses Catharina-Amalia for her 14th Birthday today

Foto: RVD/Erwin Olaf

https://scontent.fath3-1.fna.fbcdn.n...7e&oe=5A96E993
What a beautiful photo for the princess.
She looks pretty

Old 12-10-2017, 02:32 AM
Heir Presumptive

Is it new? It seems to be part of the series released a while back of the 3 princesses and Queen Máxima.
Old 12-10-2017, 05:06 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
Is it new? It seems to be part of the series released a while back of the 3 princesses and Queen Máxima.
You are right, see links for the other pics
Willem-Alexander, Máxima and Family, General News Part 3 (May 2017- Present)
Old 02-14-2018, 03:10 AM
Majesty

Starting the next school year HRH the Princess of Orange will attend school equivalent to Gymnasium in China.
The Princess already has chinese classes for a long time.
Old 02-14-2018, 04:07 AM
Majesty

Now I understand the high frequency of the visits between President Xi Jinping and the King (in 4 years time meetings betwee the two at the Chinese State Visit to the Netherlands, the Chinese visit to the The Hague Nuclear Summit, the Dutch State Visit to China and the Dutch Official Visit to China)

It is a challenging choice for the Princess of Orange but a very good one. To learn Chinese and to study in the world's upcoming superpower and to make friends for life there is never a bad idea!
Old 02-14-2018, 04:32 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucien View Post
Starting the next school year HRH the Princess of Orange will attend school equivalent to Gymnasium in China.
The Princess already has chinese classes for a long time.
For how long? Is this like an overseas exchange thing, or officially transfer to a high school in China?
Old 02-14-2018, 04:50 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

The Telegraaf claims that in 2019 she will go to the boarding school of UWC in Changshu. It is an affiliate of the Atlantic College in Wales, where the then prince of Orange studied.

Has the story been confirmed? The article int he Telegraaf claims that it is 'possible' that the princess will go to China. And the story is written by gossip columnist Evert Santegoeds. He says that it is a 'rumor from the bosom of the royal family".
Old 02-14-2018, 04:55 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by carina_a View Post
For how long? Is this like an overseas exchange thing, or officially transfer to a high school in China?
When it is done like with her father, from a Gymnasium in The Hague to the Atlantic College in Llantwit Major, Wales, then it will be a real transfer from her current Gymnasium (Sorghvliet in The Hague) to the Atlantic College in Changshu, China.
Old 02-14-2018, 06:31 AM
Imperial Majesty

That will be interesting! And a new, I think, for modern royal families. Especially at her still very young age.
Old 02-14-2018, 07:22 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
That will be interesting! And a new, I think, for modern royal families. Especially at her still very young age.
She's 15 when she leaves, it's quite young but not uncommon, my niece started her school year in England last year, she's 15 too.

Royal example is Felipe of Spain, he went to Canada for a year, he was 16 (34 years ago).
Old 02-14-2018, 08:09 AM
Aristocracy

Yeah it's really not that uncommon now. I left home to study in another country alone at 15 as well.
Old 02-14-2018, 08:26 AM
Majesty

What is uncommon is China and learning Chinese. These weeks there is a documentary series on Dutch TV about Ruben Terlou, a young Dutch doctor, who speaks fluently Chinese. It remains remarkable to see a tall Dutchie speaking with passengers, farmers, engineers, police officers, students, politicians, shop aasistants in fluent Chinese. You see all Chinese acting with surprise when the Dutch dude opens his mouth. And now the future Dutch Queen...
Old 02-14-2018, 05:52 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

This is interesting to hear. Studying abroad is indeed not uncommon these days and it has been done before in royal circles. IIRC Infanta Elena's son spent a few months at a military school in America (though I think that was more to correct his behaviour than for academic study). I hope Amalia will enjoy her time in China if this report is true.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 02-14-2018, 06:43 PM
Commoner

It sounds really interesting and like a good idea for Amalia IMO.
But I would back Marengo's doubts - it seems more like an unconfirmed rumor at the moment. All articles I can find cite a Telegraaf-article, which is behind a paywall (https://www.telegraaf.nl/nieuws/1668...llege-in-china) but seems to refer to sources in "the heart/inner circle of the royal family" as the only source to back up the story and without any further evidence
Still, the Telegraaf seems to be pretty sure about it and the idea doesn't sound impossible to me.

This video (https://www.rtlnieuws.nl/rtlboulevar...ekt-naar-china) sums it up surprisingly well IMO, unfortunately it's only available in Dutch.
They look back to Willem-Alexander's time at a Scottish school and speak about the probability of Amalia leaving for the school in Changshu. WA himself went to Atlantic College in Wales - the oldest UWC school. The school in Changshu is the newest UWC school (founded in 2015).
They say that WA and Maxima let their children choose their schools by themselves and that it would be more or less up to Amalia herself to decide if she wants to study abroad (and where). They think it could be nice for Amalia to be so far away from all the attention in the Netherlands, but they also think that China is to far away at this age and that they haven't really spoken about the subject in the family yet and definitely didn't decide anything yet (obviously that's all pure speculation too).

Another aspect they speak about shortly is the language, and I'm glad that they put that a bit more in perspective than some other people/articles:
Amalia may have studied Chinese at her school for a few years, but normally that's not enough to really speak Chinese fluently or even to communicate on a low level- definitely not with the quality of the Chinese lessons in the most Dutch schools (here I have to trust the information in the video- but I can say that it's certainly true for the German Chinese classes I know of). (IMO that is not because Chinese is so terribly complicated (it's not), but because it's so different to European languages, has a terribly complicated (or better learn intensive) writing system and maybe mainly because there is no "teaching and learning tradition" for Chinese in Europe). So typically Amalia may know some words in Chinese and have a vague impression about some grammar aspects, but wouldn't be able to really communicate in Chinese at this point.
Still, that doesn't speak against the plan to study at this school in Changshu IMO. It is an international (and English-speaking) school and while you have to study Chinese while you are enrolled, it seems that you are not required to speak Chinese to get admitted. So it could be a great and unique opportunity for Amalia to improve her Chinese and pursue and deepen her interest in the Chinese culture (if she indeed has this interests).
Old 02-14-2018, 07:48 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iolanthe View Post
It sounds really interesting and like a good idea for Amalia IMO.
But I would back Marengo's doubts - it seems more like an unconfirmed rumor at the moment. All articles I can find cite a Telegraaf-article, which is behind a paywall (https://www.telegraaf.nl/nieuws/1668...llege-in-china) but seems to refer to sources in "the heart/inner circle of the royal family" as the only source to back up the story and without any further evidence
Still, the Telegraaf seems to be pretty sure about it and the idea doesn't sound impossible to me.

This video (https://www.rtlnieuws.nl/rtlboulevar...ekt-naar-china) sums it up surprisingly well IMO, unfortunately it's only available in Dutch.
They look back to Willem-Alexander's time at a Scottish school and speak about the probability of Amalia leaving for the school in Changshu. WA himself went to Atlantic College in Wales - the oldest UWC school. The school in Changshu is the newest UWC school (founded in 2015).
They say that WA and Maxima let their children choose their schools by themselves and that it would be more or less up to Amalia herself to decide if she wants to study abroad (and where). They think it could be nice for Amalia to be so far away from all the attention in the Netherlands, but they also think that China is to far away at this age and that they haven't really spoken about the subject in the family yet and definitely didn't decide anything yet (obviously that's all pure speculation too).

Another aspect they speak about shortly is the language, and I'm glad that they put that a bit more in perspective than some other people/articles:
Amalia may have studied Chinese at her school for a few years, but normally that's not enough to really speak Chinese fluently or even to communicate on a low level- definitely not with the quality of the Chinese lessons in the most Dutch schools (here I have to trust the information in the video- but I can say that it's certainly true for the German Chinese classes I know of). (IMO that is not because Chinese is so terribly complicated (it's not), but because it's so different to European languages, has a terribly complicated (or better learn intensive) writing system and maybe mainly because there is no "teaching and learning tradition" for Chinese in Europe). So typically Amalia may know some words in Chinese and have a vague impression about some grammar aspects, but wouldn't be able to really communicate in Chinese at this point.
Still, that doesn't speak against the plan to study at this school in Changshu IMO. It is an international (and English-speaking) school and while you have to study Chinese while you are enrolled, it seems that you are not required to speak Chinese to get admitted. So it could be a great and unique opportunity for Amalia to improve her Chinese and pursue and deepen her interest in the Chinese culture (if she indeed has this interests).
The Telegraaf is most definitely not a reliable Dutch news source; some consider it a Dutch version of the Daily Fail However, because the King attended Atlantic College, I am certain that the Princess of Orange will follow his lead and choose a similar Round Square school!
Old 02-14-2018, 11:33 PM
Majesty

Perhaps some half truth Like maybe not a full transfer, simply an exchange program?? It would certainly be a good experience for her, and a great way for her to learn Chinese. She is definitely a good age for an exchange year and it is quite common now a days. And has been for royals in the past, to spend time studying abroad, even before college. While boarding schools have become less common for royals now a days, exchange programs for commoners certainly becoming more popular. I always wanted to when I was in school but because of dental issues, couldn't be over seas for months at a time. Got the opportunity in University to spend a semester in Cuba.

The UWC has 17 locations (every continent but Australia well and Antarctica). The one in the Uk her dad attended was started by the same man who started Gordonstoun, and the Queen and Charles are both presidents of the school.

A few royals who did it before the university level:
-WA as said in Wales
-Prince Charles spent two terms at a school in Australia
-Andrew went to school for part of a year in Ontario
-Felipe attended the same school in Canada as Andrew
-Elena's daughter Victoria went to boarding school in London
-Frolian did both school in London and the US
-the three oldest Lux princes all went to school in Switzerland, Sebastian attended two schools in the UK.
-Fred and Joachim spent time at a boarding school in Normandy

I think its great for her to get a chance to be like other students, as well as to really experience another country and learn the language. It is good for most people, but would be good for a future queen.
Old 02-15-2018, 01:03 AM
Heir Presumptive

I really hope it turns out to be true. It will be a great opportunity for Amalia, she'll get new friends, learn about another culture, learn to speak fluent chinese and, of course, live the life of a commoner for a period of time. I support going to another country to study, I will try to do the same as well, I intend to enroll a Japanese University for a Master's degree this year.
I wonder if Alexia and Ariane have been studying chinese as well, or if they choosen a different language. I think Leonor and Sofia of Spain have chinese classes as well.
BTW, Amalia is studying mandarin or cantonese?
Old 02-15-2018, 01:20 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathia_sophia View Post
I really hope it turns out to be true. It will be a great opportunity for Amalia, she'll get new friends, learn about another culture, learn to speak fluent chinese and, of course, live the life of a commoner for a period of time. I support going to another country to study, I will try to do the same as well, I intend to enroll a Japanese University for a Master's degree this year.
I wonder if Alexia and Ariane have been studying chinese as well, or if they choosen a different language. I think Leonor and Sofia of Spain have chinese classes as well.
BTW, Amalia is studying mandarin or cantonese?
A few articles I have seen said 'turning their head to mandarin'.

Not sure if her sisters are studying Chinese as well. I have seen no mention.

And yes, Leonor is said to be learning Mandarin as well.
Old 02-15-2018, 03:09 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

The Telegraaf, which revealed the news earlier, now checked the website of the school in Changshu. It seems that after the news was made public, the school posted a message in Dutch on their website, saying:
’de aanmelding voor de schooljaren 2018-2020 is gesloten' (the application for the school year 2018-2020 has been closed).

The king and queen also kept the choice of secondary school secret for as long as possible.

It is handy that the princess learns Chinese, it is nice that she will get some experience of being on herself, it is nice that she does so in an international environment.

However, I do hope that this boarding school is not succeeded by an immediate x-year university study abroad as well. An extended education abroad may be normal for the internationalist jetset friends of the king and queen. It may be great training for a future UN-carreer as well. But for the vast majority of the population it is not relatable at all. I still remember the king and queen being critisized by -of all things- the Orange associations, for living an international jetset life.

Some international experience can come in handy, but for her future task it is absolutely vital that she knows her own country through and through. In the end most of her duties will be cutting ribbons at noble causes in towns and villages all over the country. I understand that for the royals themselves the UN-jobs are far more interesting, but we do not have a royal family to provide Dutch UN-ambassadors. The civil service will be more than capable of doing that.

Furthermore, what does it say about our education system if it is not good enough for our own crown princess? From her 18th birthday she will receive 1,5 million euros per year from the Dutch state. Attending a few public events would be nice. As China is not next-door, I wonder if we will see the princess as King's Day in the next years.

Tags
princess alexia (2005 -), princess ariane, princess catharina-amalia, princess of orange