The Family of Queen Máxima - The Zorreguietas

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, the smile and the eyes are similar, well I would say very similar. The nose is not.

I think Máxima looks more like Martin then she does with her sister, Ines. Although they are both two pretty ladies I would never say they are sisters.

Agreed Regina, she (P Maxima) and her sister Ines look Nothing alike! I've often thought the same thing.

09-12-2009 Buenos Aires Jorge Zorreguieta, father of Princess Maxima, with a rollator at the streets of Buenos Aires on the way to the 118 Polo open in Buenos Aires.
Jorge walked the 300 meters between the VIP box and Mobile Phones office. (picture taken 6 dec.)

PPE Agency

I think these photos are intrusive and a violation of the privacy of the Zorreguieta family.They certainly clearly are not happy with the nuisance.And neither am I.If they gave permission it would have been entirely different or posing or in case of a photo-session,which this family never will,it would be different,this is just plain intrusive and therefore not wished.
Some dignity isn't out of date and this family is not free game.

Last edited:
According to Hein at Nobiliana (MAG 2011) Maxima's half sister Dolores Zorreguieta López Gil married José Gamboa in December 2011.

Dolores Zorreguieta is the artists, right? I believe that Angeles Zorreguieta is a scientist, living in the UK (at least at the time of the wedding of Máxima. I don't know anything about Maria Zorreguieta, the eldest one.

I've long found Maxima's heritage and background extremely interesting.

Does anyone know what sort of incomes Jorge Zorreguieta derived from positions such as Secretary of La Sociedad Rural Argentina, President of the Centro Argentino Azucarero, or Chairman of COPAL?

At the time of Maxima's marriage, Jorge was widely described as a wealthy landowner. I had always assumed that his income came largely from farming or ranching, and his political and other activities didn't stem from any great financial need. However, reading more in-depth articles on the Zorreguietas (most translated from Dutch or Spanish) indicates that he has never been a landowner (unlike his first wife, Marta Lopez Gil). Sources on Maxima's childhood describe her family as living in an affluent neighborhood, but in a comparatively modest home, and of having to manage very carefully. Maxima had many much richer classmates at the exclusive Northwoods school.

But even if money was somewhat tight, it seems Jorge's various positions yielded a larger income than I would have thought. Would that rural society or that sugar producers association have paid their administrators so much? The only income I've seen listed definitively for him is his pittance of a minister's pension, which was of course discontinued.

I'd be interested in hearing other people's ideas. Thanks.

I've long found Maxima's heritage and background extremely interesting.

Does anyone know what sort of incomes Jorge Zorreguieta derived from positions such as Secretary of La Sociedad Rural Argentina, President of the Centro Argentino Azucarero, or Chairman of COPAL?

At the time of Maxima's marriage, Jorge was widely described as a wealthy landowner. I had always assumed that his income came largely from farming or ranching, and his political and other activities didn't stem from any great financial need. However, reading more in-depth articles on the Zorreguietas (most translated from Dutch or Spanish) indicates that he has never been a landowner (unlike his first wife, Marta Lopez Gil). Sources on Maxima's childhood describe her family as living in an affluent neighborhood, but in a comparatively modest home, and of having to manage very carefully. Maxima had many much richer classmates at the exclusive Northwoods school.

But even if money was somewhat tight, it seems Jorge's various positions yielded a larger income than I would have thought. Would that rural society or that sugar producers association have paid their administrators so much? The only income I've seen listed definitively for him is his pittance of a minister's pension, which was of course discontinued.

I'd be interested in hearing other people's ideas. Thanks.

We don't discuss bucks in The Netherlands,it's private,first,and nobodies business,second.It's considered vulgar and people really are not in the least impressed nor interested.Different culture.
One of many peoples ideas...

Last edited:
Excuse me.

However, the Dutch people behind this website evidently didn't get your memo:
Kinderjaren Máxima Zorreguieta
Portret van een prinses

There are many topics which it would be considered rude anywhere to discuss too openly. For instance, we probably wouldn't ask someone about their father's part in an oppressive region or whether it's appropriate for him to be invited to their daughter's Christening - but we discuss those things on this board.

And my question had as much to do with curiosity about the economy of Argentina as about the life of the Zorreguietas. If, even during the years of upheaval, it was possible for a person to make a decent living with such agricultural organizations, that's interesting to me.

Last edited:
Never said it was good journalism. Just said it was Dutch people talking money.;)

Queen Maxima has reached the zenith of her popularity both in the Netherlands and in her native Argentina after ascending the throne with her husband King Willem-Alexander this week, but calls remain for her to come clean on her father's role in his country's former military junta.
Calls for Dutch Queen to clear father's junta role - FRANCE 24

Queen Maxima has reached the zenith of her popularity both in the Netherlands and in her native Argentina after ascending the throne with her husband King Willem-Alexander this week, but calls remain for her to come clean on her father's role in his country's former military junta.

As far as I am concerned she had distanced herself from him and it is not her place to tell his story even as a Queen of a country it is his.

As far as I am concerned she had distanced herself from him and it is not her place to tell his story even as a Queen of a country it is his.

Exactly.And that is the end of a non-discussion.She has done more then enough to proof anything to anyone,no need to even want more.Not by anyone.

Since she was only a child when the Junta was in power what exactly is she supposed to talk about? If there is a story to be told it is his story to tell. So far it would seem no Argentine prosecutor has come up with enough evidence against him to do anything so I cannot see how it is the responsibility of the Queen of The Netherlands to take any action.

Are the Dutch people really going to drag this subject on for the rest of their lives? Isnt it enough that Maxima has gone as far as alienate her father? Jeez people, come on. There has to be a time when the people need to let go and go on. Just my opinion.

This is not the Dutch people. This is the government. The Dutch people couldn't possibly care less. Most off us at least...

Ah, I see. I must have misunderstood. Well if thats the case then the government needs to get a grip. It will not change anything. It will not make one bit of difference with anything. I just dont get it.

I do.... They don't want to give anyone the impression they agree with what has happened by inviting him. It's not like his not allowed into the country, just not in an official way. And I don't think it really matters wether he did anything illegal himself. He was part of a government that did and he must have known. You can't be that high up and not know...

Yes but even if he was involved, it was in the past. The past is gone, it is done. It makes no difference now. It was wrong and immoral but it no longer exists. Im just saying that whether he did what he did or was involved makes no difference now. Time has past and has no bearing in my opinion on what is now. Maxima should not have to explain anything nor should her father. He is having to live the consequences of whatever his actions were. He cant freely be with his daughter nor can he be a part of her life in the Netherlands. He is not able to visit her or his grandchildren when he wants. He is alienated from any family gatherings and will never be accepted or welcomed for that matter. I know that if he was part of that past, he is now paying for his mistakes by being an unwanted part of her and the childrens lives. Doesnt anyone see that? You cant change what has been done, you can only move forward and try to get past it. It wont matter whether he admits to anything, it will not make the Netherlands a better place, it will not affect the government in any way. So what is the purpose in admitting a horrible wrong that was done?

Queen Maxima does not and should not have or need make any public stamement or "admit" to anything at all. It is entirely a matter for her father to deal with. Why would anyone want her to say her father is lying?
What does anyone know about their father's job in the 1970's when we were children, apart from what we were told? I've got no idea what my father did at work.
We all know that Maxima's father was a minister in the Argentinian Military Junta. We can all envisage the level or degree to which he knew or didn't know about what was going on or what his influence might or might not have been. But if my father had been in a position like, I would not have expected him to have told me anything about it nor would I have wished to delve into it too deeply.
At the end of the day, in terms of teh suitability of a wife for Willem-Alexander, the Dutch Government accepted Maxima, the Dutch Royal Family accepted Maxima and the Dutch people have in the main accepted Maxima.
Further, the whole management of keeping Maxima's father at a distance on an official level has been done very well and Maxima has handled not having her father at her wedding and the inauguration very well and without any complaints.

Well I guess I am the only one who looks at this situaton in a different light. What good is it or rather who is gaining anything from dragging his past on and on? Will his admittance to a crime make things better for anyone? Will it benefit the people or the government in some spectacular way? Or will the government just have the satisfaction of saying, "ah hah, we were right, told you so"? Then what?

Well I guess I am the only one who looks at this situaton in a different light. What good is it or rather who is gaining anything from dragging his past on and on? Will his admittance to a crime make things better for anyone? Will it benefit the people or the government in some spectacular way? Or will the government just have the satisfaction of saying, "ah hah, we were right, told you so"? Then what?
That is why I was surprised to read about these past events on France 24.

'The [alleged] sins of the father should not be visited on the son'.. {or in this instance the daughter}

I agree with everyone who says Maxima shouldn't have to appologise for her father. But if her father did anything wrong he should. Problem however is he can't. If he does he admits to commiting acts he has always denied and he would make himself liable.
As for letting the past be the past.. We still bring people to court for things that happened during WW2. How much time is allowed to pass before acts like these are allowed to go unpunished? As far as I'm concerned even a hundred years is not enough. Millions of people died at the hands of people like Videla (and far to many others). No one wants anyone to think that after 20 years (or whatever) it doesn't matter anymore because it does. Which is why mothers who lost their husbands and children still protest.

Are the Dutch people really going to drag this subject on for the rest of their lives?

No we're not,we couldn't care less now like we did at the time.Anything else is sheer hypocrisy and not valid.We were fully involved and making big bucks in Argentina at the time and we didn't care for the regime then.

Máxima doesn't have to proof anything to anyone,and as I said before,there was no choice but the one between a rock and a hard thing at the time in Argentina that was on the verge of a civil war between reason and stalinist maoïst leninist gangs that were already killing the middle class.Many of whom btw themselves derived from but had converted to utter anarchy and chaos instead as ardent fans of Che and his creeps!!

And!!Remember,all important at the time,the Cold War was still in place and fiercely so...so anyone,any country fighting anything related to communism was hailed instead of judged let alone condemned...NO!Nunca!..!!And that was very very much the general mood in the Western Hemisphere.So,so the world agreed with military intervention there and the reason,no-one banned Argentina,no-one blocked trade relations...No...Instead all were relieved a communist threat in South America was smothered.That was the general view,and...much more that was the general feeling....Not so strange,in the time Vietnam was still war-ground as well as many other conflicts and opposing interests...then as now....People were more then fet-up with anything related to "reds"...So...the general thought was,if they didn't interfere with anything wrong,they wouldn't have been caught and rounded up in the first place..

Then that happened..yeah,well..tough luck.That was then.No need for anyone to pick up old bla bla nor to even respond to it,except to kick it aside where it belongs.

Last edited:
I don't think a tirade against the 'reds' makes the crimes of the Videla regime less severe. The regime is responsible for around 30.000 deaths, and a much higher number of other atrocities. To call it 'tough luck' doesn't quite do justice to the victims. What the 'reds' would have done we will never know as they weren't in power and many of them were butchered, raped, dropped in the ocean etc.

But it is an Argentinian case and they should be the ones who decide how to deal with members of this awful regime. However, due to Máxima, ambitious Dutch lawyers see an easy way to get their names in the newspapers, by assisting Argentinians who seek justice.

As for her fathers role: he was a member of the regime responsible for these crimes. A report by prof. baron Baud showed that Mr. Zorreguieta MUST have known of some crimes but he chose to work for the dictatorship. So this makes him partly responsible for the crimes -as are many others. I am thankful that such a man is not fêted in our country.

Queen Máxima never distanced herself from her father but she did distance herself from the crimes of the regime at multiple occassions. Some may think that she can be more vocal about it perhaps, but in the end of the day she is Queen of The Netherlands, and NOT of Argentina. So IMHO she is correct in not getting more involved in this matter.

I don't think a tirade against the 'reds' makes the crimes of the Videla regime less severe. The regime is responsible for around 30.000 deaths, and a much higher number of other atrocities. To call it 'tough luck' doesn't quite do justice to the victims. What the 'reds' would have done we will never know as they weren't in power and many of them were butchered, raped, dropped in the ocean etc.

But it is an Argentinian case and they should be the ones who decide how to deal with members of this awful regime. However, due to Máxima, ambitious Dutch lawyers see an easy way to get their names in the newspapers, by assisting Argentinians who seek justice.

As for her fathers role: he was a member of the regime responsible for these crimes. A report by prof. baron Baud showed that Mr. Zorreguieta MUST have known of some crimes but he chose to work for the dictatorship. So this makes him partly responsible for the crimes -as are many others. I am thankful that such a man is not fêted in our country.

Queen Máxima never distanced herself from her father but she did distance herself from the crimes of the regime at multiple occassions. Some may think that she can be more vocal about it perhaps, but in the end of the day she is Queen of The Netherlands, and NOT of Argentina. So IMHO she is correct in not getting more involved in this matter.

Agreed.He knew,ofcourse,all knew,but then what should he have done?Fight them?Ignore them?And come at risk himself,or rather more his then still young family??No no no,way too dangerous,more so then to play his part and shut up...And that's what he did,and how he survived the regime himself.Easy to Judge and especially if far enough away..in both distance and years...<but reds,darn well yes,..Che Guevarra's fans stood for nothing and set up groups in most South American countries murdering and pillaging at random...,and all were crushed in one way or the other with the help and blessing of the US and all of us.That was the reality at the time.Just 40 years ago..Seems like day before yesterday thinking of it all...Videla stood for nothing when it came to get it as the regime wished.

Not so much a tirade against the reds,but they were at the time,and I explained a little as to how that was like.But ofcourse,those too young are not aware of can imagine how that really was.,....no,I'm not doing anyone away as a Oh what do you know you were not there sort of thing,but it absolutely was a different time alltogether,everywhere in S-A.And things had to be done.And then,war,moreover civil war,is Always dirty.Reason the more to all work and help prevent anything like it to ever happen again...While saying it i think of the arab springs turning into nightmares and what that causes...Iow...People never learn from history.They just don't.

And as for lawyers here...they're great at telling the most awkward lkies for huge sums ,they all studied for 7 years and more to become this globes best payed liers...What honour...:ermm::ohmy::whistling::lol:

this is a very delicate situation. no one can know how much he was inovolve only himself. Certenly Maxima was a girl and didn't know anything and now she is the Queen of the netherlands. I only know a friend who's father was a military lawyer at the time and becasue he did not agree with all that he quite his job but he couldn't work as a lawyer anymore ,, he had 7 kids , one disable and had a lot of problems to pay his bills he never had a stable job after that. and all his familly suffer a lot . So it is a tought call when you have to supposrt a family what to do!

Back
Top Bottom