The Family of Queen Máxima - The Zorreguietas

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:previous: Not when she got into church it wouldn't have been. Her veil seemed a couple of metres longer than the train and so would have pulled behind her shoulders as she walked both up and down the aisle.

I found it a bit of a conundrum when her bridesmaids each in their different gowns had jackets, boleros, wraps etc. around their shoulders. Some of them were tied in very unflattering knots just to "cover up" in church.

So to with the guests, you had Maxima with a long cape, and one woman with a fantastic, almost tartan effect silk wrap in blues, aquas and turquoise. And a lot of ill fitting and matching "cover ups".

I think things like this happen when a bride stands in front of mirrors and says "that looks great" and the beautiful lace edged veil is hanging around her face and shoulders looking absolutely gorgeous. What they don't do is stand on carpet and walk to see the effect. Ooops!

This weekend the queen went on an unexpected and urgent visit to Argentina. She stayed for 36 hours.

Máxima bezoekt familie in Argentinië | Binnenland | Telegraaf.nl

http://www.hellomagazine.com/royalty/2014111721959/queen-maxima-visits-father-argentina/

According to the Argentinian press the reason for this visit was the health of her father, Jorge Zorreguieta. Hola claims that he is very ill and is in a hospital for leukaemia.

The RVD confirms the visit but does not disclose the reason for it.

Last edited:
I am so sorry for the Queen. This must be a very difficult time for her and her family.
Some of the Dutch media (albeit a small part) are already speculating if the King and Queen can attend his funeral.
Such a premature and silly question to ask...
The Queen is in my thoughts.

Rather than silly and premature is very nasty... I'm sorry for her and her family... Hopefully he will get a recovery...

THank you for the update Marengo.

Is there any further news on Jorge Zorreguieta?

Not much else is known: Mr Zorreguieta is staying in an oncology hospital in Buenos Aires and supposedly has leukaemia.

Next week the queen will be travelling through China. But the family is supposed to spend christmas in Argentina. I believe that the queen didn't stay / go to Buenos Aires for years as she found the photographers too eager.

--
In the mean time a journalist (Arnold Karskens) wrote a new book about Jorge Z., which was released earlier this week. He claims that the agricultural policy of the Videla regime is responsible for 500-1000 lives. And Mr. Z. was an under minister of agriculture, and as such responsible. Note that mr. Karskens is a rather opinionated journalist & republican and NOT an historian.

And also another complaint against mr. Z. has been filed at the Dutch court on behalf of two relatives of people who were killed during the Videla regime. Note that this is the same lawyer as in previous cases, Liesbeth Zegveld. All previous complaints were ignored by the court and the court never started an actual lawsuit against Zorreguieta.

http://www.nrc.nl/nieuws/2014/11/17/opnieuw-eis-tot-vervolging-zorreguieta/

The lawyer of Julio Poch, an Argentinian pilot who lived in the Netherlands for decades, claims that Mr. Poch has been extradited to Argentina to take attention away from Mr. Zorreguieta. Poch is suspected of being a participant in various death flights, based on stories he told to a co-worker at Transavia.

http://www.nrc.nl/nieuws/2014/10/17/getuige-julio-poch-geruild-voor-jorge-zorreguieta/

I really can't believe that is true, if anything, Mr. Pochs case attracted more interest in Zorreguieta's case, not less. So in that light it would be counter effective.

----
Of course the story will continue to be dragged out of the woodwork for the next decades. Probably all with a lot of insinuations and conspiracy stories on how the government meddled behind the scenes. I doubt that they did it much btw, as it is difficult to start a court case in the Netherlands against foreigners who comitted crimes abroad to other foreigners. In that light it is not odd that Zorreguieta never went on trial here. The real consipracy is in Argentina, where former members of the Videla regime receved such a mild treatment, not here. There are much bigger fish than Mr. Zorreguieta walking around freely, perhaps it would be better if these lawyers -who seem to do this for publicity sake- would focus on them.

Last edited:
The Dutch national news channel just announced that Jorge Z has passed away.
My condolences to the family.

It's very sad. My condolences to the family. I'll be praying for the Queen and the three Princesses.

I'm not sure this is accurate... Social media says he isn't dead

The Argentine Newspaper removed their report.
It's very unclear now.
The hospital said that his situation is stable and that he is at home now, and that he didn't pass away.
This is just horrible. You can speculate about engagements, marriage, abdications and pregnancies but not about when someone may pass away. Those rumours are just terrible for the family and for everyone, because no one would expect such rumours to be false.

That would be good news.

Great news, media should take care before publishing such distressing news for the family !

What a difference between Prof Van Vollenhoven and Princess Margriet in New York concerning Me Zorreguieta illness .
He bla-bla and the Princess one sentence but what a sentence . Chapeau !

What a difference between Prof Van Vollenhoven and Princess Margriet in New York concerning Me Zorreguieta illness .
He bla-bla and the Princess one sentence but what a sentence . Chapeau !

what was that?

Princess Margriet said: "It is unfortunate that there are such reports in the press, without being authenticated. That I find unfortunate and painful."

i'm glad to see that maxima's dad is out and about and that it is all under control. it must be hard for maxima being so far away from him.

Jorge and Carmen Zorreguieta attended the King's Day reception of the Dutch embassy in Buenos Aires on April 27th. Mr. Zorreguieta appeared cheerful and was able to walk on his own.

Mensen verbinden - Royalty Online

Among the other guests was also Estela de Carlotto, one of the mothers of the Plaza de Mayo. In 2002 she still said that Mr. Zorreguieta had to go to prison.

Last edited:
the article mentions that jorge and maria del carmen were vacationing in their villa in neuquen, where maxima, WA and family spent last xmas (2014), when he suffered a fall.

Back
Top Bottom