The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Dutch Royals > King Willem-Alexander, Queen Máxima and family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-12-2016, 12:26 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
Unfortunately it is going to happen again.

You know about some of the sites out there! And they are about adult royals, who must be assumed to have thicker skin and better being able to deal with such behavior.

I honestly don't know the answer to best dealing with such things.
But I don't think the best solution is to shield the children and to give in to their unhappiness about being photographed.
I guess for better or worse royal children have to learn to develop a thicker hide before everybody else.

And with the current generation of royal children growing up in an age where everyone has a camera at hand, we must expect up to several instances where they already in their early teens will be photographed in intimate situations. And that these pictures will be made by other teens and as such end up on the Net within seconds. And from where they are likely to be spread before actions can be taken.
(And no, I'm not talking about sexual situations but all kinds of intimate situations we wouldn't like to see published either).
Despite all precautions and despite all instructions to their friends, we must expect someone at some point taking and uploading such a photo of a royal teen. If for no other reason than simple thoughtlessness.
I understand what you mean by "intimate" situations Muhler. Just the photographing the simple act of one of these teens eating and/or drinking and posting the picture could result in so many ugly comments.

You do have a point that the young heirs will have to prepare themselves for these moments because they cannot live their lives in a bubble.

Old 07-12-2016, 01:17 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
I understand what you mean by "intimate" situations Muhler. Just the photographing the simple act of one of these teens eating and/or drinking and posting the picture could result in so many ugly comments.

You do have a point that the young heirs will have to prepare themselves for these moments because they cannot live their lives in a bubble.
Exactly.

The worst bit is the breach of trust. The feeling of being betrayed by one or more friends. That can really change people.

Old 07-12-2016, 01:25 PM
Heir Apparent

I have never heard of bullying in connection with the Princesses. The Sorghvliet Gymnasium, Amalia's school, seems a good, small-scale and safe school. She has bodyguards by the way. Internet-bullying, ach... I think Amalia is a strongwilled and determined lady and will learn to develop a thick skin.
Old 07-12-2016, 02:02 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

If the reports about bullying towards Amalia are true, it's very sad to hear. As someone who has been bullied for 9 years, I know how it feels to be on the receiving end. I hope that WA and Maxima have attempted to hide the bullying messages from Amalia, but in 2016 it's quite difficult to be completely unaware of nasty comments being made towards you on social media. Amalia is a pretty young lady and I hope she will not let these comments bother her if she is aware of them.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 07-13-2016, 01:05 AM
Serene Highness

I suspect Royal families have strong parental computer blocks in place. Not only for bullying but children don't need to see the bile spread around against their parents, family and govt and then weirdos trying to befriend them, as well as keeping away from the usual bad stuff on the net.

At school Amalia would not be bullied but Just the opposite.... Kids will be trying to be her BFF and stick close. I bet she is pack leader even.
Old 07-13-2016, 01:19 AM
Heir Apparent

I don't think even at school Amalia is likely safe. Kids her age will care little about position and money. They will see it as another reason she is 'different'. Sadly enough for kids at that age, that is reason enough to pick on kids. I doubt she is the first royal teased at school. I know pirncess Aiko has missed school as she was bullied badly in school.
Old 07-13-2016, 01:39 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
I have never heard of bullying in connection with the Princesses. The Sorghvliet Gymnasium, Amalia's school, seems a good, small-scale and safe school. She has bodyguards by the way. Internet-bullying, ach... I think Amalia is a strongwilled and determined lady and will learn to develop a thick skin.
I do not know what happens at school, but I am quite sure that the bodyguards can do little against bullying in class.

The cyberbullying after kings day was mentioned in most press and happened mainly on twitter, where people spoke about 'prinses Obesia' and made other nasty comments.

Prinses als pispaal - RTL Nieuws
Old 07-13-2016, 02:45 AM
Heir Apparent

I missed that completely, apparently it was in the news and now it is out of the news again. But -sadly- it is the nature of things. I have a smart TV with various apps. While watching an event (like the European Championships Football but also King's Day) I can switch on a twitter feed to see what others think...

Uh oh...

No matter the injury of Cristiano Ronaldo, the bodies of the Williams-sisters or the looks of Queen Máxima, a whole diarrhea of (negative) comments is trying to make me depressed anyway.

Best thing is never ever to switch on Twitter.
Old 07-13-2016, 12:19 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
I do not know what happens at school, but I am quite sure that the bodyguards can do little against bullying in class.

The cyberbullying after kings day was mentioned in most press and happened mainly on twitter, where people spoke about 'prinses Obesia' and made other nasty comments.

Prinses als pispaal - RTL Nieuws
Unless Amaila was being physically attacked, I doubt that her bodyguards could do much. It would be up to her teachers and the administration to stop any bullying while at school.

"Prinses Obesia"...that's so unnecessary.
Old 07-13-2016, 12:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
[...]

No need to say it or twitter it but I am sure almost everyone looking to the Princess will think "hm... she has her daddy's genes...". She is the Princess of Orange, the future Queen of the Netherlands no one asked for but have to accept (and pay) and yes, then people feel they are entitled to have an opinion about her...
Old 07-13-2016, 12:54 PM
Heir Presumptive

Well, the Oranjes were never small or dainty people physically, in that aspect they are like most dutch people and Amalia takes after her dad and ancestors in that aspect.
I'm sure the girls learn to deal with social media from an early age, because let's face it, the things that are occassionally written even on TRF (which is monitored) are staggering, let alone open boards like twitter...
Old 07-13-2016, 01:28 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-Z View Post
Well, the Oranjes were never small or dainty people physically, in that aspect they are like most dutch people and Amalia takes after her dad and ancestors in that aspect.
I'm sure the girls learn to deal with social media from an early age, because let's face it, the things that are occassionally written even on TRF (which is monitored) are staggering, let alone open boards like twitter...
Now you mention it.
If I were to describe an archetypical Dutch girl it would be Alexia.
Blondish, freckles, fair-skinned and a glimpse in the eyes. - All she needs are wooden shoes and braids and she could appear in any tourist brochure about the Netherlands.
Old 07-13-2016, 01:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

imo Alexia is the one who looks most like her mom
(I don't think she'd put up with braids in her hair, i could just see her with a "i'm not amused" look )

But Maxima is tall too (maybe just a tad bid less "well filled", as it is called in my family, than the Oranjes), so all three of these girls are surely going to be among the tallest european royals when they are adults
Old 07-13-2016, 02:26 PM
Heir Apparent

I have the idea that Princess Amalia will become a beauty. I have seen so many Dutch teenage / adolescent girls changing in quite attractive young ladies. When you see class-albums from girls in the "brugklas" (the first year) and then see the same girls when they leave the Gymnasium 6 years later... the difference is often beyond belief.

:)
Old 07-13-2016, 02:51 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
It is, but she'll have to learn to live with it. As a public figure, let alone in the very privileged position the princesses are in, you cannot stop people from having an opinion about you. WA still has to live with the 'Prins Pilsje' from 30 years ago.

I can easily understand that the girls don't enjoy the photoshoot but again, they will have to deal with the press for the rest of their lives, some more, some less, for various reasons. Alexia seems to be the most exciting of the 3 meaning she resembles Maxima the most and will be most interesting for photographers, Amalia will be Queen, that's different.
Old 07-13-2016, 04:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
No need to say it or twitter it but I am sure almost everyone looking to the Princess will think "hm... she has her daddy's genes...". She is the Princess of Orange, the future Queen of the Netherlands no one asked for but have to accept (and pay) and yes, then people feel they are entitled to have an opinion about her...
That is true Duc, but I would hope that people would take into consideration that she's an adolescent so it will be a few years until she reaches her adult height/weight. I'm inclined to think that in the future she will have her parents' taller than average height.
Old 07-13-2016, 04:26 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Indeed she and her sisters have to learn to live with it. However, these early teenage years may not be the best years to be exposed to the open sewer system on social media and I certainly hope she won't see/read the worst. She did not choose to be born in this position.

When a co-student made a remark that princess Juliana's legs weren't exactly thin, the princess replied that they had a lot of weight to carry: 'the entire house of Orange is resting on them'. Let's hope that the crown princess will take after her great-grandmother in that respect and will take such comments lightly. The princess seems clever, cheerful, sociable and sensible, which IMHO is far more important for her future role. IMHO it is not thr role of a royal to be a beauty queen and wear Parisian haute couture all the time. This could actually degrade the monarchy.
Old 07-16-2016, 02:30 AM
Royal Highness

DUTCH ROYAL SUMMER | | Selda Göktaş
Old 07-16-2016, 01:17 PM
Serene Highness

Nasty remarks about anyone's shape, face, chin is really a reflection on the person making them, not the receiver. Unless they have the temperament of Princess Anne in her youth, who could tell reporters and anyone else off in the bat of an eye, young royals just must develop a thick skin. Awful to admit but true. People will always be nasty and use words that are unnecessary when proving a point. One can say arms are athletic and toned not mannish and unfeminine like they did to Michelle Obama, etc. It is the wording that makes the sender sound jealous and vindictive and would hurt the feeling of the receiver [if they gave a fig]. I personally think that the three Dutch Princesses will do just fine as they are loved by family and citizens alike. My young favorite of the three is the youngest as I love the sweet glint in her eyes and also she looks comfortable in herself at such a young age in that situation. I will personally follow her life in years to come and just feel she will come up aces and most levelheaded.