Queen Máxima's Patronages and Chairships

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kwanfan

Serene Highness
Country
United States
Máxima's Charities

What are the charities that Maxima is associated with?

- patron of the Orange Fund, which was set up to promote social welfare and cohesion in the Netherlands.
- the princess also chairs the Board of Trustees of the Prince Claus Chair, which is occupied in turn by Utrecht University and the Institute of Social Studies in The Hague. The Chair was endowed to promote training and research in the field of development cooperation.
- princess Máxima is a member of the Committee for the participation of women from ethnic minority groups (PAVEM). She does a lot of work for this committee.
- Advisor for the International Year of Microcredit 2005, the reason why she was in Africa some time ago.

BTW. She is not yet patron of many organizations. But because the death of Prince Claus, Princess Juliana and Prince Bernhard many organizations lost their patron. So I guess she will become parton of more organizations soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is for the discussion of events related to Queen Máxima's patronages and chairships.

The following roles which Máxima holds discussed in this thread are:
Chair of the Board of Trustees of the Prince Claus Chair
Honorary Chair of the Koning Willem I Foundation
Patron of the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra
Patron of Scouting Nederland

Máxima today in Utrecht, for the Prince Claus Chair of the Utrecht University.
A candidate for the Chair will be nominated by a Curatorium, chaired by Princess Máxima.

Attachments

• pre-SEEGER00137663.jpg
    pre-SEEGER00137663.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 197
  • pre-SEEGER00137670.jpg
    pre-SEEGER00137670.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 179
  • pre-SEEGER00137671.jpg
    pre-SEEGER00137671.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 213
  • pre-SEEGER00137656.jpg
    pre-SEEGER00137656.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 3,369
Last edited by a moderator:
Pics from Colourpress

Attachments

• COLOUR10146584.jpg
    COLOUR10146584.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 238
  • COLOUR10146585.jpg
    COLOUR10146585.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 221
  • COLOUR10146586.jpg
    COLOUR10146586.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 253
  • COLOUR10146587.jpg
    COLOUR10146587.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 247
  • COLOUR10146588.jpg
    COLOUR10146588.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 247
More pics from ANP

Attachments

• 2651694.jpg
    2651694.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 190
  • 2651830.jpg
    2651830.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 199
  • 2651828.jpg
    2651828.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 201
  • 2651519.jpg
    2651519.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 200
  • 2651516.jpg
    2651516.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 248
  • 2651514.jpg
    2651514.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 229
Princess Máxima is the new patron of the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra. Prince Claus was first the patron of the orchestra, 20 years long.

What does one do as patron of the orchestra or of another organization? Do they attend events or have any official duties?

Princess is patron of the scouts

Princess Máxima has become the patron of the Dutch scouting movement. She follows in the footsteps of her father-in-law Prince Claus who was patron of th Scouting Nederland until his death three years ago. A spokesperson for the organisation said Princess Máxima wants to play a role in helping young people realise their plans and help the integration of various ethnic groups into Dutch society. (Expatica)

From BRMB: [font=verdana, arial][font=verdana, arial][font=verdana, arial]
Scouting overthrilled with the new Patron and claims many members have reacted enthousiastically on the news
[/font]
[/font]
[/font]

The Watcher said:
Princess is patron of the scouts

Princess Máxima wants to play a role in helping young people realise their plans and help the integration of various ethnic groups into Dutch society. (Expatica)

It's not the first time that she's involved with projects and organizations working towards social integration. It's an important topic for her.

I believe she recently became patron of Scouting Nederland.

And some of today's (Maxima attended the speech of the new holder of the Prince Claus Chair in The Hague)

Pics from picturepresseurope.com too! :)

Attachments

• leerstoel02.jpg
    leerstoel02.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 240
  • leerstoel04.jpg
    leerstoel04.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 192
  • leerstoel06.jpg
    leerstoel06.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 196
  • leerstoel07.jpg
    leerstoel07.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 171
  • leerstoel09.jpg
    leerstoel09.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 213
  • leerstoel10.jpg
    leerstoel10.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 193
  • leerstoel12.jpg
    leerstoel12.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 218
  • leerstoel13.jpg
    leerstoel13.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 214
  • leerstoel14.jpg
    leerstoel14.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 202
  • leerstoel16.jpg
    leerstoel16.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 206
She looks great -- I'm liking the hair out of her face!

From H. Jacobs' royal blog (www.royalblog.nl) I have the following information,

it is most probable that Maxima will become involved in the struggle against unemployment of young people. There are confidential conversations between the ministeries of social affairs, education,the Orange fund and the taskforce 'jeugdwerkeloosheid' held. An agreement will probably only be reached after the new goverment has been formed.

The Watcher said:
- patron of the Orange Fund, which was set up to promote social welfare and cohesion in the Netherlands.
- the princess also chairs the Board of Trustees of the Prince Claus Chair, which is occupied in turn by Utrecht University and the Institute of Social Studies in The Hague. The Chair was endowed to promote training and research in the field of development cooperation.
- princess Máxima is a member of the Committee for the participation of women from ethnic minority groups (PAVEM). She does a lot of work for this committee.
- Advisor for the International Year of Microcredit 2005, the reason why she was in Africa some time ago.

-member of the Committee for Ethnic Minority Women’s Participation
-chairs the Board of Trustees of the Prince Claus Chair of the University of Utrecht

(information from answers.com)

Princess Máxima has no charities

'Charities' (= core royals doing actions for, or encourage, donations to aid the poor, ill, or helpless) are not that common in the Netherlands. Princess Máxima's only organizations which more or less can be labelled as a 'charity' is the Orange Fund and the Prince Claus Chair but even these ares no real charities in the sense of actively collecting money by fundraising, diners, etc. They automatically get millions by the state and by the national postcode lottery.

Most charities in the Netherlands are very institutionalized. The Dutch pay high taxes and many charities receive annual millions and millions of money. The need for 'begging' looks less apparent than for some charities we see in other countries. The Dutch also characterize 'openly giving' for charities as somewhat vulgar and flashy. The main attitude is that you should contribute and be a good citizen but not make an exhibition of your good virtues. A bit of a calvinistic attitude. That is why the anglosaxon phenomenon of expensive fundraising diners and auctions are uncommon. I can only count a handful in a year, for an example the annual Amsterdam Diner (see picture) to fight AIDS (also once attended by Prince Friso and Princess Mabel), which is in fact not really for the money but also the awareness of AIDS. But such a diner is not very usual over here.: the average Dutchman simply does not see the logic in spending huge amounts on foie gras and champagne in the hope that, after all the costs, there will be a surplus for the charity.

Of course there is also a notable exception which confirms the rule: Prince Bernhard was an arch-beggar for his lovebaby, his greatest gift to mankind: the World Wildlife Fund (see article). You know, with the Panda-logo. The Prince was one of the co-founders and the first president of this great organization and moved heaven and earth to get millions for nature preservation and -protection. With succes.

Last edited:
Henri M. said:
'Charities' (= core royals doing actions for, or encourage, donations to aid the poor, ill, or helpless) are not that common in the Netherlands. Princess Máxima's only organization which more or less can be labelled as a 'charity' is the Orange Fund, but even this is no real charity in the sense of actively collecting money by fundraising, diners, etc. They automatically get millions by the state and by the national postcode lottery.

Most charities in the Netherlands are very institutionalized. The Dutch pay high taxes and many charities receive annual millions and millions of money. The need for 'begging' looks less apparent than for some charities we see in other countries. The Dutch also characterize 'openly giving' for charities as somewhat vulgar and flashy. The main attitude is that you should contribute and be a good citizen but not make an exhibition of your good virtues. A bit of a calvinistic attitude. That is why the anglosaxon phenomenon of expensive fundraising diners and auctions are uncommon. I can only count a handful in a year, for an example the annual Amsterdam Diner to fight AIDS (also once attended by Prince Friso and Princess Mabel), which is in fact not really for the money but also the awareness of AIDS. But such a diner is not very usual over here.: the average Dutchman simply does not see the logic in spending huge amounts on foie gras and champagne in the hope that, after all the costs, there will be a surplus for the charity.

Of course there is also a notable exception which confirms the rule: Prince Bernhard was an arch-beggar for his lovebaby, his greatest gift to mankind: the World Wildlife Fund. (You know, with the Panda-logo). The Prince was one of the co-founders and the first president of this great organization and moved heaven and earth to get millions for nature preservation and -protection. With succes.

Very interesting overview. Thanks Henri M. !!

I enjoyed your post a great deal. It's very instructive.

Vanesa.

i do as well, henri. you always give good explanations for everything and enlighten us on every detail about the dutch royals!

I just read an article about the Orange fund. Apparently they can spend 24 million euros this year. They will hold some regional pre-rounds for organisations that want to apply for the money, so that more local organisations can get involved too. They will mainly focus on initiatives that try to bring different people together, in whatever form.

Well, I think that Maxima adds a great deal to any place that she visits. They might not be charities per se, but her presence certainly brings more notice than if she had not visited. I agree that the Dutch Royal Family don't neccessarily favor any particular "charity" over another. But they do have the foundations that they have set up that they take a leadership role in.

HRH visited the scouting group "The Mohicans",The Hague yesterday.

The Princess is Patron of Scouting Nederland.
PPE Agency

Courtesy PPE/Scouting Nederland/Robert Geenhuizen.

I believe this is her first visit to a scoutinggroup since she became a patron a year ago or so? I can´t remember many visits by the late Prince Claus either btw, who used to be the patron of Scouting Nederland. A pity she isn´t wearing a uniform though ;).

It would be nice if she could show a bit more interest in this patronage. I know that she has a very full schedule, but if she became patron over a year ago and this is her first visit, it does not seem so nice for me.

Scouting is really important in a young perrsons life. It ceratinly gives them something to do other than plop themselves behind a tv or computer all of the time, and I think that it helps give them skills that they can use in later life, so I wish that she were more proactive in this.

Although, for some reason, scouting seems like it would be a better patronage for Laurentien if you were to ask me.

HRH visited the scouting group "The Mohicans",The Hague yesterday.

The Princess is Patron of Scouting Nederland.
PPE Agency

Courtesy PPE/Scouting Nederland/Robert Geenhuizen.

I would say she re-edited the blue/brown outfit she wore to a visit to Turkey in March, while pregnant of Ariane (with a matching hat)...am I right?

Visiting scouting group - November 2007

[DNF] Fotoarchief Denieuwsfoto

Turkey - March 2007

http://cache.viewimages.com/xc/7346...5A344AAC8D070225089F7CEAC2CFF284831B75F48EF45

Well, I think the Dutch Royals have a different way of dealing with their patronages. They are usually less involved with them and deal with other topics too. I don´t think that Maxima has a patronage about microfinance, likewise WA isn´t a patron of any watermanagment group.

To be a patron of something is more about the honour for the organsisation, a sort of recognition that they are making a difference in society etc.

Back
Top Bottom