Queen Máxima as UN Advocate for Inclusive Financial Services 1: 2009 - Aug. 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I also found the photo of the Queen with a known murderer rather surprising.

I understand what you say Duc: in international politics you are bound to have to deal with people with dirty hands, including dictators and murderers. But I see no reason why we have to drag the queen down into the filth with these kind of people.

I suppose she must have met with the CP to convince him of the impact of micro finance. I can imagine a normal UN envoy meeting the Crown Prince. But HM is not a normal diplomat. She is not a politician. She is the Queen of The Netherlands. The Queen of The Netherlands should not be photographed cosying up to & thus legitimizing murderers and dictators.

This meeting was very ill advised done with complete disregard for HM role as our Queen. As her work for the UN is now hampering her most important role perhaps it is time to drop the UN function.

It was an international summit, and the "people with dirty hands" were there as representatives of a sovereign nation. As Queen, Maxima really does not have a choice. Rutte, the Dutch PM, was there to deliver the political messages, but Maxima has to stay above it all, which I am sure she did.

Last edited by a moderator:
Indeed, you are bound to meet people with dirty hands at these summits. But HM & the government had the choice to keep HM in The Hague. No other Western royal attends the G20. No Dutch royal has done it before Queen Máxima did. AFAIK no other member of a reigning Western royal family has been pictured with the CP of SA after it became known that he ordered the murder of that Washington Post journalist.

It is really surprising that nobody at the court or at the prime minister's office ever pushed the stop button.

As I said I understand that she wanted to discuss micro finance. But her first responsibility is to be Queen of the Netherlands. The UN-ambassadorship is just a side show (bezigheidstherapie) and the two roles obviously clashed at this meeting.

Last edited:
Indeed, you are bound to meet people with dirty hands at these summits. But HM & the government had the choice to keep HM in The Hague. No other Western royal attends the G20. No Dutch royal has done it before Queen Máxima did. AFAIK no other member of a reigning Western royal family has been pictured with the CP of SA after it became known that he ordered the murder of that Washington Post journalist.

All good points, and neither one that I can disgaree with:flowers:

We can say the same about meeting Putin (MH17, Skripal, dozens of journalists), about Xi Ping (trampling democracy in Hong Kong), about Erdogan (wiping his derrière with human rights), and all were in Osaka anyway.

Marengo, why do you think that Prime Minister Rutte allows this? What opinion do you think the Dutch have in general? Because I believe that the activity that the Dutch government allows Máxima, in any other European parliamentary monarchy would provoke a lot of criticism for the Monarchy and the government.

First, that Queen Máxima bases half of her agenda as Special Envoy of the UN. There are numerous members of the royalty who are ambassadors of United Nations agencies, and who collaborate with them through the cooperation agencies of their countries (as we have seen these days with Mathilde and UNICEF)... but Máxima's is a more executive role, more of a UN employee. What role does the Dutch State have in that? Who pays all her trips? What do the Dutch think that Máxima works more for the UN than for her country? Apart from financial issues, is there no social pressure for her to become more involved in internal social issues in the country?

Second, why does the government allow the queen consort to participate in events that are fundamentally political? Why do they use her role in the UN to allow it? A few months ago, Prince Haakon received strong criticism in his country for his political opinions. In general, the parliamentary monarchies seek to establish a line so as not to be too involved in political issues ... however Maxima seems increasingly involved in a role that is that of a government minister, not that of a queen consort. Maxima have an international role much more active and political than the Head of State ... and that is surprising.

:previous:

Yes the Prime Minister allows it. Even more: he was with the Queen in Osaka.

Recently there was a survey and the overwhelming response was that Queen Máxima must be able to be involved in the causes of her heart, which are inclusive finances and equal chances for women, all over the world.

In general the Dutch prefer to see their royals have meanig in the real world as much as possible. After all the monarchy operates in the reality, not in a sugarcake Disneyland.

The costs made for the Queen in her role as ambassador are paid for by the UN. But as she remains Queen of course, the Dutch Government pays for the addidtional costs the UN would not have had to make, was it not a royal member, so to say.

That mainly means the personal security and the use of the worldwide Dutch diplomatic infrastructure (read: the local Embassy provide all services the Queen needs). These costs are covered by the regular budgets of the diplomatic service. In a country where there are annual Budget Surpluses, these costs barely cause a stir in the sea of plenty, which is the State Budget.

https://www.koninklijkhuis.nl/onder...ctiviteiten-koningin-maxima-inclusive-finance

Third engagement with the Crown Prince, after a bilateral and a diner:
https://discover.operacdn.com/assets/tn/3xl/hq/a85ed2f1e36f77f9089c0fba50de3ecf45b64392

With Donald and Ivanka Trump :

Last edited by a moderator:
She can support "causes close to her heart" without having to play such a political role. Many royals work in the real world, but many times the real world is close to the palace, or collaborating with causes abandoned by many ... and not in the encounters of rich and powerful, where many times they promises a lot and little is done.

Trump, Putin, Erdogan, Salman ... supporting the empowerment of women, with the wife of a millionaire king and the daughter of a millionaire president ... it's a little Disneyland.

The words of Princess Elisabeth about girls in Kenya, or Daniel and Haakon with their children in the Women's Soccer World Cup ... are much more discreet, but have for me a more powerful message of equality and are more real.

She can support "causes close to her heart" without having to play such a political role. Many royals work in the real world, but many times the real world is close to the palace, or collaborating with causes abandoned by many ... and not in the encounters of rich and powerful, where many times they promises a lot and little is done.

Trump, Putin, Erdogan, Salman ... supporting the empowerment of women, with the wife of a millionaire king and the daughter of a millionaire president ... it's a little Disneyland.

The words of Princess Elisabeth about girls in Kenya, or Daniel and Haakon with their children in the Women's Soccer World Cup ... are much more discreet, but have for me a more powerful message of equality and are more real.

As Prince of Orange, the King has flown for AMREF (the Flying Doctors) in Africa. Via the Orange Fund (with 250 million Euro in cash!) the Queen has an unstoppable string of engagements of projects in which the Orange Fund contributes.

Máxima is Máxima. Was she no Queen, she probably would have been a politician in Argentina, like her father. She has a formidable network worldwide and is not the type of a Sweet Disney Princess.

It is in her personality to go wham! into business. And indeed: as long as she is speaking with the mouth of the Government, she is covered. That is how the Dutch system works. Royals do not need to be impartial. They need to be in tune with Government. That is something completely different than impartiality.

Last edited:
As Prince of Orange, the King has flown for AMREF (the Flying Doctors) in Africa. Via the Orange Fund (with 250 million Euro in cash!) the Queen has an unstoppable string of engagements of projects in which the Orange Fund contributes.

Máxima is Máxima. Was she no Queen, she probably would have been a politician in Argentina, like her father. She has a formidable network worldwide and is not the type of a Sweet Disney Princess.

It is in her personality to go wham! into business. And indeed: as long as she is speaking with the mouth of the Government, she is covered. That is how the Dutch system works. Royals do not need to be impartial. They need to be in tune with Government. That is something completely different than impartiality.

We all know her family background. And yes, she came from a family of politicians.

I'm just wondering is the Dutch system you are saying have some sources. Has this something to do with Prince Claus?

I remember Prince Claus before was too vocal and apparently the restrictions that Dutch law imposed on the Royal Family's freedom of speech and action was gradually loosened. He even became a senior staff member at the Department of Developing Aid.

I work for a Dutch company in Germany, many of my colleagues are Dutch. Whenever the topic is on Maxima and her unusually extended role in comparison to her counterparts in Europe I get one answer why this is the case: Because she is capable! So the Dutch people I speak to, no matter of age or gender, do not only agree but also support the role of Maxima as it is, even though it might interfere with politics. They see her as Queen but also as kind of diplomat on whatever mission is useful for the country. Maybe a serious blunder has to happen that people start changing their minds but so far the Dutch embrace whatever Maxima is doing.

"I stand for 100% behind Queen Máxima"

According to Prime Minister Rutte, the meeting between Queen Máxima and the Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman was "completely defensible".

The Queen spoke to the controversial Crown Prince about improving the economic position of women in Saudi Arabia, but not about the murder of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi.

Prime Minister Rutte named this "a completely normal state of affairs". According the Prime Minister, it is common for UN-representatives, such as Queen Máxima, only to talk about their topics, in this case financial services and the economic position of women.

Queen Máxima has been committed to this for years. "Suppose the representatives of the UN first have to mention all other UN-topics before they come to their own," said Rutte. "That would be strange."

Prime Minister Rutte stressed there are coordinated contacts between countries on the murder of Khashoggi. "The Netherlands have already expressed its total abhorrence about that." That feeling is well known in Saudi Arabia. "And Queen Máxima was not there for The Netherlands, but did what she had to do as a special advocate of the UN Secretary General."

A report from the same UN last week showed that there is evidence for involvement of the Saudi Crown Prince in the murder of Khashoggi. The UN rapporteur for on this, therefore, strongly criticized Queen Máxima. But Prime Minister Rutte was not at all impressed. He said: "The Queen did exactly what she had to do." He called her "one of the smartest persons I know".

G20
Queen Máxima spoke with the Saudi Crown Prince on Friday at the G20 summit in Japan. The Queen was present at that summit as a special UN advocate for inclusive finances. The conversation with the Crown Prince was in preparation for the next G20, which will be organized in Saudi Arabia.

https://nos.nl/artikel/2291349-rutt...-gesprek-maxima-met-saudische-kroonprins.html

Last edited:

Totally agree. What this lady does is an interference in a world of totally SCANDALOUS and unusual politics. This is a scandal and not other nonsense. If we add the great ambition of this lady, the expenses without measure (his Greek mansion, 62 million euros of the remodeling of his palace etc), gives me a lousy image of a CONSORTIUM Nobody asks where is the king and because this lady constantly passes the limits assigned to her by her position? The answer "porqeu Máxima can" is a joke. Masako can ... and much more than Máxima since she was a career diplomat and will never do it because they got married and got a status. Letizia could, and much, but she does not because, logically, she would be seen in Spain as an interference in the affairs of the country without being even a titular queen ... If the answer is that, they will forgive everything she does Maximum, mine will be that in a while you may have a much bigger problem. For me, this lady is ambitious and does not stop even her husband to look for her photo and power ... If he does not even let his daughters talk!
Máxima pursues the photo, married to gain power and is now in a race to the absurd Do not you see the reverence that makes Trump? jajajaajja ... Surely the Dutch are delighted with this humiliation

Actually, if the Dutch want this, it is what they deserve. Sorry. Time will speak but it is a great pity.

As Prince of Orange, the King has flown for AMREF (the Flying Doctors) in Africa. Via the Orange Fund (with 250 million Euro in cash!)

804/5000
Oh my God. This statement is terrible, because removing the political past from his father does not do Máxima any favor, but quite the opposite. In the end he may look more like the father, minister of a dictatorship, than we thought.
Try to help see it as a great policy and die laughing. If she wanted to be a politician, she could have stayed in Argentina and see if another dictatorship would come, but not marry to be queen and relegate her husband to "zero".
The monarchy and politics, especially the consorts, have to be separated by a very broad line, and Máxima has passed all possible limits already.
This is the problem when a person is from a republic and has no idea of the operation of monarchies, but the worst are those of the country that consent.

In Osaka, I think that Queen Maxima was wrong to speak to the Saudi Arabian Crown Prince. Could she not have spoken to someone else in the Saudi Arabian delegation?

In Osaka, I think that Queen Maxima was wrong to speak to the Saudi Arabian Crown Prince. Could she not have spoken to someone else in the Saudi Arabian delegation?

When the Argentineans were to take over the presidency of the G20, Queen Máxima met President Macri, the leader of the Argentinean delegation.

When the Japanese were to take over the presidency of the G20, Queen Máxima met Prime Minister Abe, the leader of the Japanese delegation.

Now the Saudis are taking over the presidency of the G20, Queen Máxima met the Crown Prince, the leader of the Saudi delegation.

No more, no less.

Last edited:
804/5000
Oh my God. This statement is terrible, because removing the political past from his father does not do Máxima any favor, but quite the opposite. In the end he may look more like the father, minister of a dictatorship, than we thought.
Try to help see it as a great policy and die laughing. If she wanted to be a politician, she could have stayed in Argentina and see if another dictatorship would come, but not marry to be queen and relegate her husband to "zero".
The monarchy and politics, especially the consorts, have to be separated by a very broad line, and Máxima has passed all possible limits already.
This is the problem when a person is from a republic and has no idea of the operation of monarchies, but the worst are those of the country that consent.

Queen Máxima did nothing wrong. She has not gone one millimetre beyond any constitutional line. Even more, the criticism was what she did NOT say against the Crown Prince, not what she said against him.

But the Dutch Prime Minister was clear: that was not Máxima's position to say anything about Khashoggi. The Netherlands have condemned this abhorrent murder and this is exactly well known by the Saudis.

In your way of thinking Queen Máxima in one room with Putin: horror! MH17, Skripal, Ukraine! Queen Máxima in one room with Xi Ping: horror! Hong Kong, Huawei, Tibet! Queen Máxima in one room with Erdogan: horror! Coup d'État, suffocating democracy, strangling journalists. Queen Máxima in one room with Abe: horror! Commercial whaling!

Máxima wants to play a meaningful role. And she does that. The Dutch give her all space to exploit her talents. The Dutch simply are not the type for a monarchy made of sugarcake fondant, falling in faint because of a little royal burp. The Oranges have always been active. The famous Bilderberg conferences are even started by Prince Bernhard and this year the King mingled there with the high and the mighty. Just as the Oranges always have done for 1000 years.

Last edited:
When the Argentineans were to take over the presidency of the G20, Queen Máxima met President Macri, the leader of the Argentinean delegation.

When the Japanese were to take over the presidency of the G20, Queen Máxima met Prime Minister Abe, the leader of the Japanese delegation.

Now the Saudis are taking over the presidency of the G20, Queen Máxima met the Crown Prince, the leader of the Saudi delegation.

No more, no less.

On which capacity? And what is your say about Callamard slamming her for meeting the Crown Prince?

On which capacity? And what is your say about Callamard slamming her for meeting the Crown Prince?

In this capacity (with lots of pictures): https://www.unsgsa.org/

Madame Agnès Callamard was just taking the opportunity to highlight once again her report, frustrated as she is that -despite her painstaking work- the Crown Prince simply is with the Merkels, the Trumps, the Putins, the Xi Pings of our time. I would have done the same, if I was her.

Sadly Madame Callamard did hit the wrong note. Naming Queen Máxima a "complicit to the murder of Khashoggi" blew up any understanding, that was so overdone, bordering the absurd. Without hesistation Prime Minister Rutte could shrug his shoulders off: Madame Callamard had already detonated herself by her wild words.

Last edited:
There is a barrage of articles, columns, radio discussions etc. dedicated to the issue. Some are wondering if the Crown Prince spoke to Máxima the Dutch queen, or Máxima the UN envoy. The Dutch government claims the latter.

The defence of the Prime Minister is that Máxima did not represent the Netherlands but was there as a UN special envoy. The explanation is of course nonsense, as Máxima is queen 24 hours of the day and almost no normal UN envoys will be invited to a G20, let alone have meetings on the highest level. Being Queen gives her access to such a network of people, which she uses to maximise the attention for the noble cause of micro finance. Note that according to the Saudi's the meeting was about the 'cooperation of the two Kingdoms'.

The Dutch government is responsible for what the Queen says and does 24 hours of the day. There is no time-sharing arrangement with the United Nations where on certain hours of the day secretary Guterres is responsible for what his special envoy says and does. Being king or queen is not a part-time job. Well-intentioned external projects should not damage the monarchy.

Political journalists seem to agree that the meeting was a massive blunder - even the right-wing Telegraaf explicitly names it such. F.e. Frits Wester is questioning why neither the RVD nor the civil service have prevented this meeting but also wonders what has happened to the political antenna of the royal family. The NOS (state broadcaster) also concludes that the political antenna of the RF seems not to be adjusted well. Others wonder if the responsible ministers were sleeping when this meeting was set up. Bas Heijne claims that the Saudi Crown Prince uses 'bling bling feminists' like Máxima to make his regime more palatable to the West, while these women play along in his game.

It is the second time the political climate was severely misjudged by Máxima. The first time was when she made her remarks about the Dutch Identity. PM Lubbers claimed later that that blunder showed that Máxima 'was not ready' and needed a few more years to prepare for her function as Queen.

There was some criticism when Máxima 'accidentally' posed for a photo with the wife of president Bouterse of Suriname at a UN-meeting a few years ago. The Netherlands has a rather difficult relationship with the president of the former colony, who is responsible for the December murders of 1982. That this official meeting with the killer crown prince would create a barrage criticism could have been foreseen.

I understand that cutting ribbons day in day out can be frustrating. And I understand that it is good for the Queen and other members of the RF to have something meaningful to do. Some freedom should be given to these members of the family. But it can not be the case that an external role will damage the functioning of the monarchy. It is clear that the monarchy is held to a higher standard than ordinary politicians, diplomats etc. That is why I doubt that f.e. the IOC-function will ever be repeated for Amalia (it became too sensitive with all the corruption that is going on). Clearly arranging this public meeting was a lack of good judgement. The Queen's external function should not put her in the middle of a political mine field.

BTW I do not think for one minute that this will change the popularity of the Queen for one iota. She has enough credit with most of the population to be forgiven a blunder. The prime minister and minister Blok should have known better. At least they are defending the queen 100%, which is good as this incident is their responsibility first and foremost.

Last edited:
But the queens, princesses and princes consorts do not just dedicate themselves to cutting ribbons. The reality is that no consort will change the world, but everyone within the limits of their roles find ways to help some things change and support causes.

Máxima works with inclusive finance... for years Queen Sofia and Grand Duchess Maria Theresa supported the cause of microcredits, they supported Yunus and gave more visibility to his projects and they made others support the cause. They contributed to that a position like the one that Máxima occupies today was seen as necessary.

As it happened to Rania, the problem is to think that to be useful and help people, you have to break the boundaries of the role of royalty and become a famous become an activist. Supporting a cause is one thing ... wanting to be part of the political, economic elite ... of the world of millionaires and celebrities is another. And royalty is not a mandate for a few years, nor is working for a private company ... you have to respond to a country... and in the end that forces you to put the line somewhere.

One last thing, I believe that in their own way, within their circumstances and their countries, many women of royalty work for women's empowerment.

The Spanish President, socialist, who supports the feminist cause ... was at the G20 conference. But the last great movement of support for women in Spain has not emerged from governments or millionaire investments ... it has emerged from society, from a change of generational mentality, from girls who wanted to practice certain sports... and suddenly the female sport is on the rise and the government, the Royal House, the great teams of La Liga, the sponsors, the press ... have turned to it.

Sometimes "cutting a ribbon", depending on what that ribbon implies, can also have important repercussions.

Sometimes "cutting a ribbon", depending on what that ribbon implies, can also have important repercussions.

That is exactly what the king said in his interview in 2013, so you are in good company ;).

Still the drive to get more 'meaningful' work for members of the RF has been present for decades. It mainly comes from a wish from these members themselves as they perhaps feel caged in. Prince Claus once sarcastically referred to cutting ribbons as being his 'core business'.

In the seventies he was attached to the ministery of Development Aid. After a nasty campaign from the largest newspaper of the country who had issues with a royal serving under a socialist minister in such a left-wing topic the prince was forced to quit. Some thought the lack of something 'meaningful' to do caused his depression. Something which is eldest son denied in 2013 (he claims that WWII experiences formed the base of the depression).

When the crown prince finished his studies the family asked for a bit more freedom and trust for him to develop himself in some areas of interest which was given and which he never betrayed. The same goes for Princess Margriet in her role for the international Red Cross, or even Prof. van Vollenhoven for the National Safety Board. Earlier on Prince Bernhard of course was given far too much freedom in his role as Economic ambassador, which led to the Lockheed Affair. One could even argue that Prince Hendrik's work for the National Red Cross -he died in front of his desk in his office of the Red Cross headquarters in The Hague- and Crown Princess Juliana's work for the National Crisis Committee (to alleviate the worst plight of people during the economic crisis of the 1930s) put such functions in a longer tradition.

I agree that content can be found in lots of local activities and not neccissarily in a fancy role on the international stage. But sometimes when I see the Queen showing interest in the umpteenth local handicraft tradition or the king show interest in the umpteenth visit to a dairy cattle farm I do admire their enthusiasm.

Last edited:
In the end Queen Máxima was again with the top of the world, as she is year in, year out. Her network is formidable. While leaders come and go (Hollande went, Macron came, Obama went, Trump came, etc.) she has been and remains in that society for many years. Any UN agency can only dream about a representative with such free access to the most exlusive world stage.

And let us be fair: Máxima had a conversation with the Saudi Crown Prince because he organizes the next G20 Summit. So the murder on Khashoggi was no any problem for the G20-countries to have it held in Saudi Arabia, next year. THAT is the real "scandal".

But yet anyone stumbles over a meeting of the UNSGAD representative in the marge of the G20? Let me laugh. And indeed: most likely Máxima's popularity will rock even more sky high because the gut feeling of the common Dutchies is that she is unfairly treated. After all May was there, Merkel was there, Rutte was there. No problemo. Máxima was there "uh oh problem!". The Dutch x-ray effortlessly through that sheer hypocrysy.

Last edited:
Up to a point you are right. In the very same weekend Minister Kaag met with the leader of Iran - hardly an oasis of human rights. The prime minister met with Putin, while the Russians have murdered so many of our people. The difference is that they are politicians and it is their job to have these meetings. Another difference is that they will at some point raise -or claim to have raised- human rights issues, as was the case with the PM, Putin and the open wound of the MH17.

For the Queen it is not her job to be present at the G20. Her external activities for the UN are not necessary for her function as queen. The Queen will be in no position to open conversation about sensitive issues such as human right violations. as she did not do during her meeting with the Crown Prince.

She can not be Queen at one hour and envoy Máxima van Oranje the next. The then Prince and Princess of Orange themselves recognized in an interview in the 2000s that being royal was something that they were 24/7. As lula pointed out plenty of royals partner with UN causes without being added to these kind of politically sensitive international functions.

In this case her external work -or 'bezigheidstherapie' (activity therapy) as I saw it referred to- is damaging her function as Queen. The royal family - as the highest representatives of the Dutch state- is simply held to a higher standard than ordinary politicians and diplomats. As a reminder: there is no other Western royal that I know of has met with the Saudi crown prince after he had Mr. Khashoggi cut in pieces by a chain saw. The Duke of York spoke about business ties with Saudi Arabia in Dubai in 2018, but he did not meet with the CP.

Last edited:
Marengo, is that they are members of a Royal Family and their role is not to be a politician or work for other organizations. Sometimes it is perhaps more an ego problem.

In many European royal houses their members collaborate with UN agencies, they work with them and are their ambassadors. Royal houses, governments and international agencies collaborate to work together... they always go hand in hand with the interests of the country. And it is an exchange, sometimes the members of royalty support projects of their country, and others the interest of a royalty on a subject makes this a project of the country.

The idea that the Royal House and the government consider that Maxima is temporarily Queen, and temporarily sent from the UN ... that uses state resources, but that later are independent things ... is a little crazy.

lula said:
is a little crazy

Agreed. The explanation is rather insufficient.

I do not think the Queen's ego -be it small or large- plays a factor in her going to the G20. Neither the Prime minister's office nor Foreign Affairs would have patience for that. The two must have decided that the Queen's presence at the G20 is an asset for some reason or another, otherwise there would be zero chance that the Queen would be going along, no matter how much she theoretically would have pushed for it (which I very much doubt).

In Argentina it was clear why: the Queen is a personal friend of president Macri and his wife. At this meeting I suspect the additional reason why she attended might also be largely unrelated to micro finance, but this picture may be closer to the reason why FA wanted her there. They have been trying to commit the American president for some time now to visit our country in the autumn. The Queen's working relationship with the president's daughter will have given her access to the president; on another photo you could see Ivanka Trump introducing the president and the queen.

We will see if the Queen will be present at the G20 in Saudi Arabia. I would be rather surprised if she were after all the controversy.

---
Cartoon from the Volkskrant, the Saudi Crown Prince washing his hands in Royal Máxima detergent:
https://www.volkskrant.nl/columns-opinie/bas-van-der-schot~bedde24a/#&gid=1&pid=1

Last edited:
Ivanka was also recently in the Netherlands and she was invited by the King and Queen to a private visit to the Palace... I would not be surprised if Ivanka was happy to have the attention of a member of royalty.

The Netherlands is not a member of the G20, putting Máxima into the G20 for empowering women probably has also been a way for the Prime Minister to be invited more often.

The United Kingdom is a member of the G20, and I do not believe that a woman of the Royal Family accepted the invitation. Spain is a permanent guest, and although Letizia was invited by the Government of Argentina, she did not attend, because the representative in the G20 is the President of the Government.

Ivanka was also recently in the Netherlands and she was invited by the King and Queen to a private visit to the Palace... I would not be surprised if Ivanka was happy to have the attention of a member of royalty.

The Netherlands is not a member of the G20, putting Máxima into the G20 for empowering women probably has also been a way for the Prime Minister to be invited more often.

The United Kingdom is a member of the G20, and I do not believe that a woman of the Royal Family accepted the invitation. Spain is a permanent guest, and although Letizia was invited by the Government of Argentina, she did not attend, because the representative in the G20 is the President of the Government.

But Máxima was there as the UN Secretary-General's Special Advocate for Inclusive Finance for Development (UNSGSA). By my knowledge no member of the British and Spanish royal families have a similar position so indeed they had no business to do at the G20.

By the way, in yesterday's interpellation debate all parties from the left to the right stressed their admiration for the excellent work of the Queen to empower women, to give them access to financial services, etc.

The Government stressed that every step Queen Máxima did in Osaka, including her non-intervention in the case Khashoggi, was completely in line with the Goverment's position and strategy: it was neither the duty of the UNSGAD nor the duty of the Queen of Netherlands to speak about the case Khashoggi.

All parties agreed with that, but their position was that maybe the Queen should have been shielded away from the Saudi Crown Prince (but remarkably no word about Putin, Xi Ping, Erdogan en the whole rambam).

If Máxima was there only as a special UN envoy ... why does she appear in the official photo of the dinner? Why does not Ivanka appear as an adviser to the President of the United States?

The photo was for the leaders and their partners, and the representatives that there were of the UN, were the Secretary General of the UN and the directors of agencies as WHO ... a special envoy is a minor charge, if it is not because she is queen of the Netherlands, she would not have been there.

Máxima uses both conditions ... as a UN envoy to justify being present in political events that as queen consort do not correspond to her ... as Queen to have a privileged position in the protocol that as a simple UN envoy would never have. Moreover, she appears as Rutte's partner, while the UN Secretary General, the director of the International Monetary Fund or the director of the World Bank appear in the back row ... so the UN envoy is located one row ahead of her "boss".

United Kingdom is a member of the G20, Spain is a permanent guest ... if they thought it appropriate, any member of their Royal Families could be introduced as an envoy for any cause in representation of their countries. Their situation would be the same as Máxima's as a UN envoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom